Anyone live around Coventry/Warwick Uni?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • SWAPBOT 13 May 2009 14:08:57 60 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey guys! Sorry for the illicit incognito post, but I had my girlfriend change my account password so I'm not compelled to post and disrupt my revision.

Have a question I wanted to ask though.

I'm about to start a course at Warwick university this September and I'm looking to find private accommodation in the surrounding area. This being, Coventry, Kenilworth, Leamington Spa, King's Heath, Earlsdon, Coundon. No further than King's Heath/Leamington, really.

I don't know any of the areas very well though and I was hoping for an EG-insider's opinion, because you're obviously the most trustworthy people on the internets :-)

Anywho, help much appreciated!
  • BanjoMan 13 May 2009 14:17:38 13,730 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Earlsdon's ace. Used to live there, vary laid-back area.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• BanjoMan 13 May 2009 14:18:18 13,730 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yeah and Coundon's a dump. Used to be full of houses with corrugated tin rooves when I lived in Cov.

• Angel_Treats 13 May 2009 14:24:59 11,072 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rutty went to Warwick and lived in Leamington and he loved it there, said it's a really nice place.
  • ruttyboy 13 May 2009 14:37:12 7,949 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Rutty went to Warwick and lived in Leamington and he loved it there, said it's a really nice place.

Correction, half of it is a really nice place. I've honestly never seen a town so divided in wealth/living quality than Leamington Spa.

Go past the river and you're asking for trouble/poverty level housing with cunt landlords.

Edit: And when I say river, I mean the one that's furthest away from the top of the high street (possibly a canal, can't remember, so old, light fading etc.).
  • ruttyboy 13 May 2009 14:38:31 7,949 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Saying that Coventry is all poverty as far as the eye can see so at least you'd be able to walk to where the 'haves' live in Leamington.
  • BanjoMan 13 May 2009 14:39:38 13,730 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Earlsdon's probably the best suburb of Cov tbh. Great curry house there too: the Royal Bengal.

• SWAPBOT 13 May 2009 14:43:28 60 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Earlsdon is sounding like a good option, is close to the uni as well. Leamington I hear can get nasty traffic, and is apparently full of 2nd, 3rd and 4th years moreso than freshers.

I've been informed of an amazing offer for a double room in a house in King's Heath, the owner is minted and just wants to make a bit off the room, so the house is well kitted out. Has a large garden and a cat.

But the gf can't live with me next year so it'd be pretty lonely - no other first years will be living anywhere close. Dilemma!
  • ruttyboy 13 May 2009 14:45:09 7,949 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did you not hear me? Coventry is like Birmingham but without the charisma...

Old style Birmingham too, before they rebuilt the Bull Ring.
  • Deleted user 13 May 2009 15:42:11
    Leamington. It's a nice place but frankly if you're going to live in middle England the chav to norm ratio is high wherever you go.
  • Deckard2 13 May 2009 15:42:16 3,722 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've lived in both Leamington and Coventry, both are utter shitholes. Coventry moreso.

Good luck!
  • _Price_ 13 May 2009 16:11:39 3,072 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SWAPBOT wrote:
    Earlsdon is sounding like a good option, is close to the uni as well. Leamington I hear can get nasty traffic, and is apparently full of 2nd, 3rd and 4th years moreso than freshers.

Any chance you're a medical student? : )

In terms of the first year (and the first half of the second if you are a medic) I'd say Cov. > Campus > Leamington. It just isn't worth the effort of getting into uni / UHCW from Leam (although the majority of socials end up there) and being in Cov. gives a bit of separation from the rest of the university polulation. I ended up in the Tile Hill area after going through uni accommodation and will be quite happily staying here (albeit on a private let) next year.

Anyway, good luck with the exams and if you want to get in contact for anything feel free to do so. You may want to do it before tomorrow though since I'm also crippling my account in preparation for some truely obsessive revision.
  • SWAPBOT 13 May 2009 16:24:45 60 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hah, Price, our fates have been intertwined from the start! :D

I had no idea you were a Warwick student. Will send a message.
  • FuzzyMoose 15 May 2009 14:54:14 9 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BanjoMan wrote:
    Earlsdon's probably the best suburb of Cov tbh. Great curry house there too: the Royal Bengal.

I was always more partial to Ally's Balti House personally. Something in the food at the Bengal used to give me some seriously freaky dreams.

I lived in both Leamington and Earlsdon while I was at Warwick and they both had good points. Leam has (had?) some good student club nights but was a pain to get back from campus late at night. Earlsdon had some great pubs and easy access to Central Cov.

I recommend Earlsdon personally
  • IJ 15 May 2009 15:43:55 849 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Graduated from Warwick in COmputer Science in July 06. Almost everyone in Uni lives in Leamington and you'll be gutted if you don't live there. Clubs are rubbish but they are basically just an extended students uni so quite good fun. As someone else said though, live mid to north Leamington as south is a pile of sh.t.

For the love of god don't live in Coventry, i've traveled around China for a month and I still didn't find a place more discusting than Coventry. Also don't live in Earlfield, no one from uni lives there really so social life is a bit poor. Leamington you're only real option unless you are trying to stay away from students.
  • BanjoMan 15 May 2009 15:55:34 13,730 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FuzzyMoose wrote:
    BanjoMan wrote:

I was always more partial to Ally's Balti House personally. Something in the food at the Bengal used to give me some seriously freaky dreams.

I lived in both Leamington and Earlsdon while I was at Warwick and they both had good points. Leam has (had?) some good student club nights but was a pain to get back from campus late at night. Earlsdon had some great pubs and easy access to Central Cov.

Yeah what's the name of that juicer with the nice beer garden? Earlsdon Arms or something?

• Fizzog 15 May 2009 15:58:30 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I live in Kenilworth and went to college in Leamington and can recommend Leam 100%, brilliant little town with very good night life. Robbins Well is the best bar there IMO.
  • FuzzyMoose 20 May 2009 16:04:38 9 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BanjoMan wrote:
    FuzzyMoose wrote:
    BanjoMan wrote:

Yeah what's the name of that juicer with the nice beer garden? Earlsdon Arms or something?

The City Arms? Yeah that is a great little pub
  • ZuluHero 8 Mar 2014 09:30:43 4,317 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im looking to buy somewhere in cov. looking at the south side of the city, anyone have any suggestions, where to avoid, nice local schools etc. Will be a family home so dont want to be surrounded by students. So any (horror) stories? Anyone live anywhere nice in the city or knows somewhere that is? Thanks in advanxe! :)
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next