• Page

of 12 First / Last

• MrDigital 14 Jul 2010 09:29:53 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You know I'm right though.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Deleted user 27 March 2011 14:04:19
    Fuck me, this is good. I've seen this before, but Sky Atlantic are currently repeating it on Wednesday's, currently season 1. Just how good is this. Why can't we do drama like this in the UK. The BBC, if you ever need an idea, make a gangster drama, Eastenders was actually good when you had all the gangster storyline with him from gold running the nightclub.

Tony Soprano is a character legend. The opening titles are instantly awesome too. Bring back this programme, you didn't kill off the main family thankfully and ps: boardwalk empire is shit in comparision. Got up to about episode 9 before realising this fact.
  • Deleted user 27 March 2011 14:08:43
    Boardwalk... slow pace, boring nucky, kelly macdonald annoyingly mousey character who loved shagging in Trainspotting.
  • Deleted user 31 March 2011 10:45:19
    Started my second run through and I'm enjoying it more than the first time around which I didn't think was possible.

Nearing the end of season 2 now and its easily one of the best shows ever. I forgot how much I liked Tony.
  • figgis 31 Mar 2011 11:11:32 7,376 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got the box set for Xmas, think I might start again soon.
  • Dougs 31 Mar 2011 11:12:59 67,736 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been through it 3 or 4 times. It gets better and better
  • Deleted user 31 March 2011 11:15:35
    I should be starting seasons 3 soon which is my favourite.

The episode with Chris, Paulie and the crazy Russian in the woods is one of my favourite episodes of anything ever.
  • figgis 31 Mar 2011 11:19:54 7,376 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.

His house looked like shit.
  • Deleted user 31 March 2011 11:23:51
    :D

First time I watched it I couldn't stop laughing.
  • Dougs 31 Mar 2011 11:27:37 67,736 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a problem with IE8 and spoiler tags so can't see what you've posted but assume it is the Chris and Paulie special. Best. Episode. Ever
  • geeza2020 31 Mar 2011 11:29:58 1,887 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is that the episode where they end up eating ketchup in the van out in the woods? Hilarious episode, but also great for building up Chris and Paulie's characters.
  • UncleLou Moderator 31 Mar 2011 11:30:36 35,557 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Awesome indeed. Was directed by Steve Buscemi, wasn't it?
  • Deleted user 31 March 2011 11:30:42
    \o/

YES!
  • Deleted user 31 March 2011 11:40:32
    Pine barrens is one of the best episodes in the whole series. Just comedy genius.
  • Dolly 31 Mar 2011 11:52:24 3,225 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been watching the first series on Sky Atlantic for the last couple of months. Absolutely amazing and I can't believe I've never taken the time to watch it all before (saw bits and bobs from the middle series back when they first aired).
    Really wish I hadn't read the first page of this thread though, as massive spoilers on the ending :(
    Can't wait to watch the rest of it all still and will be back once it's through to discuss away, I'm sure.
  • roz123 31 Mar 2011 11:52:36 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That episode was directed by Steve Buscemi. Definatly one of the best, it reminded me of Fargo.
    Im currently working through this for the first time. Onto the 5th series now and its great. My favourite scene of the program so far has to be Paulie visiting the Pshycic/medium.
  • stephenb 31 Mar 2011 11:58:08 2,738 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dolly wrote:
    Been watching the first series on Sky Atlantic for the last couple of months. Absolutely amazing and I can't believe I've never taken the time to watch it all before (saw bits and bobs from the middle series back when they first aired).
    Really wish I hadn't read the first page of this thread though, as massive spoilers on the ending :(
    Can't wait to watch the rest of it all still and will be back once it's through to discuss away, I'm sure.

+1

This series completely passed me by first time round. The Wife and I have started watching on Atlantic too, absolutely loving it.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• figgis 31 Mar 2011 12:03:46 7,376 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dolly wrote:

Don't worry about the ending, it's obvious and ambiguous at the same time. there's loads of stuff in the Sopranos beyond the basic story.
  • cianchristopher 31 Mar 2011 12:43:25 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think my overall favourite season is probably Season 2, though I do love them all. Richie Aprile was such a badass antagonist, and Funhouse was my favourite season finale.

So many great episodes, so many memories of this show. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in over 3 years now, so I think I'm ready for another run-through. (I've seen each season about 5-6 times (except maybe the last one), and some episodes more than 10 times).

It's my all-time favourite show (in fact, I don't even like any movie as much as I love this show)...
  • cianchristopher 31 Mar 2011 12:51:27 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Some favourite episodes of mine:

Season 1 - College: this episode has been rightly described by David Chase as almost like a TV Movie of the Week, in that it's a self-contained story that, in a way, almost takes place outside the Sopranos universe.

Season 1 - Boca: I love the triple-entendre that the title gives meaning to, as well as the shot of Uncle Junior smahsing a pie into his girlfriend's face

Season 1 - Isabella: This dreamy episode is quite surreal, with a brilliant song by Tindersticks as its centrepiece. Classic stuff, especially when Tony is in the midst of his depression, we see him at his nadir.

I might post some more later, I could talk about this show all day...
  • andywilkie35 31 Mar 2011 13:10:46 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is next on my list of things to watch again. Finished The Shield recently in about 3 weeks, now halfway through season 2 of 24. Next up, third run of The Sopranos, still my favourite show ever.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 31 March 2011 13:46:23
    What did you think of the Shield? Do we have a thread for that btw.

I liked the last ep of season 1 i think its when Paulie gets poison Ivy. When Chris gos into rehab and hes telling everyone what he thinks of them thats comedy gold as well.
  • Vice.Destroyer 31 Mar 2011 14:49:54 5,838 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /looks in thread
    //takes names of all the Soprano Lovers
    ///decides that when the revolution comes, they will be the first against the wall
    ////leaves thread
  • AcidSnake 31 Mar 2011 14:53:36 7,276 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Vice:
    Guess who'll be the first one in a river with cement shoes when the revolution comes?
    :)

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Vice.Destroyer 31 Mar 2011 14:57:33 5,838 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @acidsnake

fuhgeddabahtit

@hindle
    There are plenty of Shield threads. But it is not worth looking them up, because they are rife with spoilers. Consider that the first episode aired sometime in 2002. And the last in 2009 (I think). But I think that The Shield is one of TV's finest examples of entertainment. High-octane. Vicious. Preposterous. But always entertaining.
  • cianchristopher 31 Mar 2011 15:00:37 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Shield is great - but The Sopranos is much better (don't take it the wrong way, Vic, I know we've been down that road before)...
  • Deleted user 31 March 2011 15:07:32
    Ive always thought of The Shield as The Sopranos only from a cop perspective. Both were created by the same person i think.
  • geeza2020 31 Mar 2011 15:12:50 1,887 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've heard many good things about The Shield, but after the Wire, I just cant watch any cop shows anymore without shouting at the tv.

Once my second run through The Wire is finished, I'll have to go for a second run through of the Sopranos too. This thread made me realise just how great it was, and how much of it I've forgotten!
  • yegon 31 Mar 2011 15:14:15 5,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    Started my second run through and I'm enjoying it more than the first time around which I didn't think was possible.

Yeah, after a long break I enjoyed it equally, if not more, the second time. Knowing who all the characters are in advance enables you to understood all the little quips and incidental stuff that you couldn't possibly have grasped first time. I watched it all again in the space of about 3 months the 2nd time, in contrast to the 7 years of "live" viewing, so all sorts of smaller, seemingly insignificant events and slights/grudges were a lot fresher in my mind.

I remember being completely underwhelmed by the ending initially, but over the following days I realized how monumentally brilliant it was. I've since watched the closing scenes multiple times.....incredible stuff.

The only negative being everything else pales in comparison, much like the effect Deus Ex 1 and Planescape Torment had on me :(

• UncleLou Moderator 31 Mar 2011 15:24:52 35,557 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Another favourite quote/scene:

"I found him like this".

To Chris, who is totally stoned, after Tony kills Ralph and calls Chris for help to get rid of the body.

Youtube.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last