City of Heroes Page 54

• Page

of 55 First / Last

• iokthemonkey 18 Jan 2009 11:37:08 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I logged in last night and was disappointed to see it was pretty dead... I started a new toon and was the only person in the Outbreak zone (usually there are at least a couple of others) and when I went to Atlas Park, I'd say there were maybe 12 people, max, hanging around. Normally there are a lot more than that...

It's a shame, as it's a really fun game.

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• Gl3n Moderator 18 Jan 2009 11:43:22 5,317 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was in the recent Mac beta and yes, it was rather quiet. Champions online will likely take a chunk of the playerbase as well.

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• Trafford 18 Jan 2009 12:03:47 5,620 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I very much agree with Kalel. The best game I have ever played.The world Cryptic created was vast and full of back story.
    Logging on every night,it was like meeting for a social sport with friends.
    Almost lost my job and wife over this game.
    I await Champions Online with much trepidation.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 12:22:18
    Was gonna try the free 14 day demo but now I'm confused. What's City of Villains? Is it available for Mac too?
  • PearOfAnguish 25 Feb 2009 12:24:03 7,138 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    City of Villains lets you play as a villain. Don't know about Mac version, but on the PC the two games have been combined into one. Same login and sub works on both. I have a 60 day trial code if you want it.
  • kalel 25 Feb 2009 12:25:51 86,369 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    City of Villains was kind of an expansion pack but also a game in its own right. Itís exactly what youíd think it is. It basically doubled the size of the game introducing villains into the picture, new areas for them and a whole new set of archetypes and powers, and with it came PvP for the first time also.

Theyíre both really just one big game now.
  • Stickman 25 Feb 2009 12:28:19 29,657 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I could move everyone that I play WOW with over to City of Heroes, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's my favourite MMO, but you really need some online chums.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• kalel 25 Feb 2009 12:29:57 86,369 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When Champions comes out I'm hoping there might be a bit of a shift towards it. It's effectively CoH 2.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 12:30:44
    Well I'm about to give it a blast for free for 14 days. Very likely I won't pursue it much longer than a few days as I'm already on a short leash as far as spending all my time on the computer goes...
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 14:35:11
    Hmm, best character type? I hate this part of any game - choosing what person I'm going to be without any idea whatsoever of how they play. Hero or Villain? Offensive or defensive? Given I'm probably barely going to find a single person to play with regularly, what would my best option be?
  • kalel 25 Feb 2009 14:37:22 86,369 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been a while since I played it but Hero scrappers were always the solo playerís toon of choice.

Itís not a game for soloing though, and itís very easy to quickly join a group and dip in and out with them. Itís not like WoW in that respect, itís more like a game of CoD 4 or something. Very quick.

I found the villain Corruptor type the most rewarding and engaging all in all.
  • Benno 25 Feb 2009 14:40:10 9,784 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lets all start playing again

c'monnn

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• Trafford 25 Feb 2009 14:53:48 5,620 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got a lvl 45 Rad offender sat there.Amongst others.Never did get to 50....
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 15:05:59
    I'm afraid creating a character sucked pretty much my entire attention span dry. Now I"m playing the game with some template character coz I got so bored of farting about in the annoying creation system that I can't be bothered to get to grips with the bizarre control scheme. Having to hold down Right Button and drag around to move my point of view is annoying!
  • kalel 25 Feb 2009 15:10:43 86,369 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you didnít enjoy the character creation you might as well log off and do something else.
  • Trafford 25 Feb 2009 15:12:18 5,620 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can't go wrong with a clean spandex look.
  • lucasmax 25 Feb 2009 15:12:18 363 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    I'm afraid creating a character sucked pretty much my entire attention span dry. Now I"m playing the game with some template character coz I got so bored of farting about in the annoying creation system that I can't be bothered to get to grips with the bizarre control scheme. Having to hold down Right Button and drag around to move my point of view is annoying!

/spits drink
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 15:15:08
    kalel wrote:
    If you didnít enjoy the character creation you might as well log off and do something else.
    I generally find character creation the least interesting part of any game. Ever.

EDIT: Well that's not strictly true. If I'm fully aware of the actual implications of the decisions I'm making I can find it slightly more rewarding. Otherwise I'm sitting there reading through reams of text trying to second guess what it actually means for the playing style.

And I thought the character editor was a bit faffy, kept making a nice looking character then clicking on something that totally wiped it and loaded a preset instead. Argh.
  • kalel 25 Feb 2009 15:17:04 86,369 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The joy of CoH is the ability to create a totally unique hero and then enjoy seeing it become super.

If you don't feel a personal connection with your toon you're not going to have much fun with the game.
  • PiD 25 Feb 2009 15:18:05 3,566 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Character creation is pretty much the only interesting thing to do in CoH/CoV now anyway ;)

Seriously though, I found it so dull after a while as it was just the same missions over and over again :(
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 15:19:59
    I think my interest in this game has now waned given that I've just remembered I stopped play WoW for a reason. Back to Fallout 3 then :)
  • iokthemonkey 25 Feb 2009 15:22:53 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The thing about CoH is you have to have a definite idea about your character. You can't do as you do in other games just pick a race/class combo then mash the keyboard to create a name. You could, sure, but half the fun is creating your own character with a strong theme, finding a cool name nobody's picked yet and then designing around that theme.

There was a really good thread on the COH forums about creating good heroes and how to use themes (such as animals or elements) and powers to invent a new hero, rather than simply being "X_KILLA_GOD_X" and just applying random/pointless costume parts with mismatched powers.

• kalel 25 Feb 2009 15:27:41 86,369 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Exactly. My favourite toon was my villain radiation/radiation corruptor called ďHarmful RayĒ. I had a whole radiation theme going (radiation jump suit with gas mask integrated helmet) and it was a hugely enjoyable experience creating him, and I used to get a lot of in-game kudos for him as well.

When I played WoW I really missed all that. The game itself was much better, but the lack of humour and personality made it more sterile.

That said CoH is empty these days so itís probably not worth the effort.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 15:29:22
    Yeah if it's dead in there there's no point for me. The 'killer app' element of WoW wasn't the quests or anything like that, it was the fact it was packed with real people also playing in real time.
  • iokthemonkey 25 Feb 2009 15:31:51 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's so sad now is about 80% of the toons you see are just called "ZORGO_DK" or some meaningless name and they all look like Dragon Ball Z rejects... /sigh...

• Whizzo 25 Feb 2009 15:33:56 43,035 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No pet using class in an MMO is going to be anything as super as CoV after I've had 6 pets doing my bidding and stomping on anyone who got it my way.

/chomps down on cigar

/orders the team into action

/laughs at pitiful heroes

This space left intentionally blank.

• Mr_Dodger 25 Feb 2009 15:34:50 263 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My quantum physics based characters "Zero Point" and "Overunity" where a male/female alternate universe version of the same individual, created and joined by a mad science experiment gone wrong along the lines of Dr Manhattan.

And yes, I did put way too much thought and effort into that game at it's peak... :)
  • kalel 25 Feb 2009 15:41:09 86,369 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some people took the whole origin thing so seriously. I remember clicking on people and seeing pages and pages of text.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 15:42:44
    Sounds like it was fucking brilliant in it's day. Great timing to launch the Mac version when everybody's buggered off.
  • iokthemonkey 25 Feb 2009 15:43:23 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    True Kalel, but it's no worse than the time I saw people in Iron Forge having heated arguments about WoW Lore...

Part of the fun in character creation - and interestingly, one of the things that often pops up when women are asked about MMOs - is the room to customise and add detail to your character. A little "bio page" is one of the things that chicks seem to dig...

• Page

of 55 First / Last