City of Heroes Page 53

• Page

of 55 First / Last

• Darkflight 27 May 2007 02:01:14 65 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nope, not sure why the updater is going so slow for you, mine normally maxes out my connection. Your firewall isn't playing silly buggers with it is it?
  • mouse Moderator 27 May 2007 12:15:31 10,312 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I tried this a couple of times during my two week trial (didn't really have much time to play it in this end sadly), and it seemed okay. I was hoping it would be the MMO to make me see the light and stump up for a sub. I pretty much hate fantasy-based game worlds, so it was nice to try something set in a city, which immediately appealed to me.

The character creation got it off to a really good start, and I enjoyed getting stuck into the tutorial, but sort of felt it got a bit too complicated, too quickly for a noob like myself. I really didn't understand or grasp the Enhancements and Invention system at all, despite reading and re-reading the tutorial, and felt like I'd gotten out of my depth very very quickly, which turned me off fairly rapidly.

Basically, I think I need a really dumb but fun MMO to cut my teeth on. Definitely not the fault of an obviously well-made game though.
  • Whizzo 28 May 2007 12:59:04 42,760 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not strictly speaking a full blown MMO but Guild Wars is nice and cheap these days and there's no subs worries either.

I love CoH/V as it's got the best combat in any MMO but past that and it's a little thin on variety.

A bit like most average superhero comics I suppose but it's a lot of fun until the eventual burnout.

Plus I'm still really pissed at Cryptic for not fixing the issues with ATI card support and advanced features. Bunch of idiots.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 28 May 2007 13:24:18
    Just finished the two week trial here and I have to say I was pretty impressed with the game. Last MMORPG I tried was Ultima Online (and Anarchy Online beta) which, in all honesty, I found to be a pile of poo.

This one was instantly engaging, had some nice peeps in it, and looked rather swish. Had to resort to Paragon Wiki (google it) for the explanation on enhancements (I kept reading as enchantments) but after that everything sort of fell into place. Even got the hang of inventing and nabbing cheap loot from the auction site. Score!

Only reservation, and this is the reason I'm not going to get a sub, are the missions. They are great first of all, get better when you join a big team, even moreso when you play something other than a scrapper in a big team....and then the thought hits you. This is the same mission you've been playing for the last couple of hours. Fun dissolves. Boredom sets in. Ho hum.

That and I think my wife will leave me if she see's me playing that "waste of time" game again. Oh well...
  • scaven2 26 Jul 2007 00:47:59 1 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey can some one please help me out here, so far i have made 3 accounts on this site to try and get a free trail key for city of heroes , i have gotten 3 slightly diffrent keys from the site but every time i try to add them to my account it says that the code has allready been used. I am new and want to try out the game but even the 14 day free being given away by the play NC site isnt working because it is having problems sending out e-mails.... i was wondering if anyone here had a code or could use the requte a friend option to get me a code? ... if so e-mail me at scaven-casey@hotmail.com.
  • mcmonkeyplc 29 Jul 2007 19:44:40 38,899 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This game is starting to really piss me off.

First off I couldn't get the game to run cause my trial had already been used for some reason, thanks EG!

I finally sort out a new code via sci-fi UK but now I have another issue. The freaking mouse doesn't work properly!

I can see it, thanks to adding a line to the exe but now the mouse is offset!

By that I mean the pointer doesn't point to what it's hovering over, instead it points to a location diagonally north west of the pointer position!

WHAT THE FUCK! Oh and I am using Vista but still sort it out!

Anyone had this problem or know of a fix? I've tried the official forum and couldn't find anything.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Gl3n Moderator 31 Oct 2008 15:31:07 5,168 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At last!

About time they made it mac compat, that there cider's really getting around these days.

Edit: Why hasn't this been posted on EGMMO yet eh?

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• iokthemonkey 10 Nov 2008 11:37:35 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just started monkeying about with CoH again the other day and it's still great fun, especially the early levels and the character creation bit. Ace stuff...

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• Benno 10 Nov 2008 12:26:06 9,392 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah some of the stuff in CoH I still find is a decent benchmark for up and coming MMOs.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2008 15:40:20
    It's been 18 months or so since I last played CoX - is it still as busy as it used to be? I came across the install disc the other day and persuaded myself not to pop it in the drive :)
  • iokthemonkey 12 Nov 2008 12:13:42 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is it as busy as it used to be? I don't think so. Last night I was in Atlas Park for the first time in months and I'd say there were about 10-12 people hanging around there. This was last night around 11 PM though, so the numbers compared to a Saturday afternoon will be lower. But it's not some kind of ghost town and I did have about four group invites during my 2 or so hours of play, so people are still there...

• Deleted user 12 November 2008 13:14:02
    Hmm - shame - I know it's still not empty - but i remember when it was utterly packed on launch. everybody dancing around their beat boxes. I'll wait for champions then ;)
  • Whizzo 12 Nov 2008 13:16:51 42,760 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Last time they did a free weekend, around the time the crafting was launched, I went back in and it was very quiet indeed, I went through a lot of zones as well to see if there was much going on and it was fairly unpopulated on Defiant.

It still holds some great memories and I've got a month card I could use at some point if I was really thinking about devoting some time to it but I not sure I ever will.

This space left intentionally blank.

• iokthemonkey 12 Nov 2008 14:06:31 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BraveArse wrote:
    Hmm - shame - I know it's still not empty - but i remember when it was utterly packed on launch. everybody dancing around their beat boxes. I'll wait for champions then ;)

To be honest, I tend to solo a lot anyway, so it's not THAT big a deal to me, but yeah, I did see a bit of a fall-off the other night. It wasn't dead, as I feared it might be and I did see a fair few people around, but it's not as populated as it was. But then again, aside from WOW, what game is?

• PearOfAnguish 12 Dec 2008 13:10:06 6,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What are the veteran rewards? It's telling me I have 9 months veteran reward but fails to explain what this is (the link is broken).

And does anyone want a free account for 60 days? I've got a code but it can only be used to create a new account, not applied to an existing one.
  • iokthemonkey 12 Dec 2008 14:04:55 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Every 3 months you get Veteran Rewards as long as you're subscribing. At 3 months you get Trenchcoats in the Costume Options, the 6 month one I forget at at 9 you get some new shirts for females (midriff/belly cut) and kilts for males. With each you also get a new badge, like "Trustworthy, Steadfast, Dependable, etc."

If you google "CoH Veteran Rewards" you'll (eventually) find some info on them, but the official site link isn't working... :(

• Deleted user 8 January 2009 18:15:58
    So this is on the Mac now, 5 years late lol!

Always fancied it though. Any good? I know there's probably an EG review (which I'll find after I post this) but forumites concise summary opinions appreciated!
  • PearOfAnguish 8 Jan 2009 18:20:20 6,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's good. Far more relaxed than many MMOs, the visuals are nice (old, but attractive style), the character customisation has yet to be bested and you can advance quite quickly. The travel powers are tons 'o' fun.

Problem I had last time I logged on was there was nobody around to team up with, and it's really not at its best when you solo.
  • kalel 8 Jan 2009 18:20:39 83,877 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Itís fucking awesome as long as your expectations are in order.

If you want an MMO where you can truly craft a unique superhero to call your own, and bounce around with other heroes not taking things too seriously and having lots of fun in a fairly quick and easy type way, itís absolutely brilliant.

If youíre expecting lots and lots of crafting and all the slightly beardier stuff that some MMOs do, itís not so good.

Probably my favourite game of all time pound for pound. Certainly the game that gave me the most hours of pure joy.
  • Benno 8 Jan 2009 19:15:20 9,392 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    well thats his expectations screwed
  • Deleted user 9 January 2009 07:02:12
    Benno wrote:
    well thats his expectations screwed
    Actually that's exactly what I fancy! Never got into the whole crafting beardier aspects of WoW. So it sounds awesome and as soon as the net is back up in the new place I'll be taking a look.

:)

• Deleted user 9 January 2009 07:02:58
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Problem I had last time I logged on was there was nobody around to team up with, and it's really not at its best when you solo.
    The new Mac availability has got to bring some new people though. Hopefully.
  • Page

of 55 First / Last