City of Heroes

• Page

of 55 First / Last

Previous
  • MikeD 25 Jun 2004 14:37:54 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The new mmorpg where there are no dwarves, wizards, elves, warriors, trolls, orcs, goblins, knights, barbarians, etc.

In this game you play a bonefide superhero!

In America the game is a massive success, and the reviews seem positive.
    gamerankings

I normally am against the idea of paying a monthly fee for a game, but this game strangely draws me to it. it also has the added advantage of purchasable time-cards, so I wouldn't need a credit card. So if a group joins me i would definitely go for it

Anyone else interested? Can you guys really let the clarion call for justice go unanswered. Join me in kicking some super-villain butt!

Eurogamers Assemble!

city of heroes

Edited by MikeD at 13:43:02 25-06-2004
  • kalel 25 Jun 2004 14:41:32 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, you know I'm in.

Come on boys and girls, you know you want to.
  • Blerk Moderator 25 Jun 2004 14:43:17 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saw this in gamesTM last month and thought it sounded pretty cool!

Sadly:
    No PC
    No Broadband
    No time to play anyway

:-)
  • Amajiro 25 Jun 2004 14:51:54 2,214 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah Penny Arcade has been talking about this. It's kind of interesting, but I can't help feeling that it's going to be about as entertaining as any other MMORPG. That is, not at all.
  • MikeD 25 Jun 2004 14:58:46 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tog give some extra info. It's a mmorpg based mostly around the fighting and customising your hero. No harvesting and such boring nonsense.

You get in, join a team and dish out some justice, shaft style!.

That's what appaeals to me the most (besides the superhero setting), you don't have to spend hours and hours levelling up before you can have some fun.
  • Whizzo 25 Jun 2004 15:00:30 43,035 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Once it gets a European release I'll give it a go, it's got extremely good word of mouth and it appeals to me.

Trouble with playing on a US server is that any events are scheduled around the US timezones (for obvious reasons) so it can be a right pain missing stuff. Don't know how often that sort of thing happens in CoH I must admit.

City Of Villains will make things even more interesting.

This space left intentionally blank.

• MikeD 25 Jun 2004 15:17:04 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a european release. plaync seems to be off the opinion that Europeans can play on the American servers. I believe that was their stance on Lineage II, anyway.
  • Amajiro 25 Jun 2004 15:19:01 2,214 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's quite a good thread about this.
  • Nemesis 25 Jun 2004 15:25:30 18,596 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is it worth giving up EVE for though?

Hmm?
  • kalel 25 Jun 2004 15:30:19 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "People frequently stop and check people's costumes out, or do 'power displays' for each other, just to see the effects. I still haven't gotten over seeing a hero take flight in front of me, or when another hero I was teaming with, when asked where he was, just said "Look up"."

I really REALLY want this now.

Can we do it soon? Can we, huh huh can we?
  • Singularity 25 Jun 2004 15:30:20 2,434 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm in, for the 'Eurogamers assemble' comment if nothing else. : )
  • Clive_Dunn 25 Jun 2004 16:24:44 4,775 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm playing at the moment, have been for a month or so.

Very good game, not a monstrous amount of content but the general coolness of being a superhero hides this well. It has the best character creation screen I've ever seen in any game, in effect every character is unique due to the vast amount of combinations possible.

It has a nice atmosphere as well, doesn't appear to have attracted the "l337" power gamers who have a lvl 400 character in every class and will tell you exactly how crap you are when you've done something wrong.

Also its very accessible, you don't need to sit around waiting for a group for 2 hours as you can do missions solo.

I have a lvl 7 defender called Chocolate Hero on Infinity server if anyone else joins up.
  • kalel 25 Jun 2004 16:27:00 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I want it NOW!!

Been reading through the forums all afternoon. I think I might have found "my game".

Where are you people getting it from?

Please don't say I have to get something from DVD box office.
  • Clive_Dunn 25 Jun 2004 16:30:12 4,775 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Download it from the NCSoft servers, $49.99 plus a months free subs. At current exchange rates thats only £25 or so.

I believe it will get a European release, but I think thats at least 6 months away.
  • kalel 25 Jun 2004 16:34:09 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not waiting six months, although I might have to wait until the gf goes away on Monday. She got a bit upset last time I got into a MMORPG.

Still, I will definitly be doing this, so I might drop yuo a note on Monday night to see if you're about.
  • MikeD 25 Jun 2004 16:57:30 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm trying to convince some friends at the moment, though the credit card thing is still a problem, since my only Dutch suppliers seems to take 2-3 weeks to ship timecards :-(
  • DodgyG 25 Jun 2004 17:22:36 255 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I tried it but found it immensely tedious, suffers from the same thing that afflicts most MMORPGs', i.e. repetitiveness, would be alright if you could do something other than just jump about the map fighting AI chars...
  • kalel 25 Jun 2004 18:02:02 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    Download it from the NCSoft servers, $49.99 plus a months free subs. At current exchange rates thats only £25 or so.

I believe it will get a European release, but I think thats at least 6 months away.

Clive. I can't find the dowload on their website. Am I looking in the right place? Have you got a link?
  • kalel 5 Jul 2004 18:30:32 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right. My copy arrived this morning and I am leaving the office right now to go home and install it. Personally I do not like dowloading games, and would rather have the proper box and discs, so I imported it, but if you want to download it you can here.
    Anyway, I'll be back for an update later.
  • kalel 6 Jul 2004 11:17:32 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really got stuck into this last night. Itís been a very long time since I have just sat in front of one game till the wee hours of the morning, but I just couldnít stop playing it. I think this game could take off in a big way (no pun intended). Itís extremely accessible unlike other MMORPGs that Iíve played, and itís also considerably less slow and boring. Ironically this could be its ultimate flaw, in that the peaks are possibly too regular, but it really is all action.

For comic book and superhero fans this is an absolute dream. Honestly, I remember hypothetically discussing a game like this with mates ages ago. We were all ďImagine if you can design your own character, team up with others, fight crime, custom powers, super teams etcĒ Itís all there, and again instantly accessible and enjoyable.

The character customisation is superb. Best Iíve seen by a long way. Almost worth it for this alone, especially once you get into the main game, its both fascinating and hilarious to see what characters people have come up with. Watching them fight is entertaining too. Powers seem to be pretty abundant and so far I have not really seen two similar characters. There is a lot of showboating that goes on which is cool, power displays etc. There is very strong sense of humour in the whole thing, which I found lacking in other games like this.

Clearly this is my kind of game, but if youíve been looking for an online experience and are intimidated by the whole RPG level 400 super-arsehole thing, then this may well appeal to you too. If you love comics and superheroes, this is your game.

The only thing is, its US only at the moment, and may stay that way, so thereí no point in waiting for the UK release, get in there now! Okay, that was a bit of hard sell, but it would be really cool if some more of you came in and we could have a Eurogamer super team. I know Clive Dunn is in there somewhere and I think weíre both on the Infinity server, so if anyone does fancy it, Iíve posted a link above to a place where you can download it.

Eurogamers assemble!
  • MikeD 6 Jul 2004 11:32:44 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Describe your heroes! :-)
  • kalel 6 Jul 2004 11:41:49 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am a level 5 scrapper mutant called Wrenchman. Only reason for the name was that my charachter ended up looking like a tool (I mean that literally). Lots of metal bits.

My main powers stem from my poisonous spines that I can stab and project with. I am also farly resilient. I designed him to be a good solo character as I thought I would mostly be soloing, but there were are decent amount of people to team up with even though I was on a US server, so I might create a slightly more interesting charachter for team fighting next time. They're pretty generous with the amount, you get 6 per account, and you can delete and replace them as many times as you like.

Physically my chrachter is small. Tight fitting classic style outfit with some cool scale type affect. I have a piece of metal clamped over my mouth and eyes for some reason. Dunno, could have put a lot more effort into him really, but I wanted to get stuck in. Next time I will spend some time on it. You even get to write the origins of your charachter which others can look at. And you get a catchphrase:

Mine is "there is no O in team"

Its great, when your charachters talk the words appear in comic-esque speech bubbles. The presentation is really superb.

Sorry to go on so much, but as you can probably tell, I'm REALLY excited by this game.
  • MikeD 6 Jul 2004 11:44:28 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Sorry to go on so much, but as you can probably tell, I'm REALLY excited by this game.

Well, your nick isn't kalel for nothing :-)

Good to hear you didn't make a ripoff superhero.
  • kalel 6 Jul 2004 11:46:51 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are a few of them in there. I saw a Hulk one and a Spiderman one. Its quite good though, the Hulk one was just having the piss ripped out of him by everone.

Still, it shows how versatile the customisation is that you can do that if you want.
  • Clive_Dunn 6 Jul 2004 12:19:19 4,775 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got bored of CoH now, it really does have very, very little content.

The start of the game is brilliant, the character creation is perfect and the idea of playing a superhero is cool.

But after that the game rapidly goes downhill. They've deliberately taken out all more complicated MMOG stuff ( crafting, currency )in an attempt to make it more accessible than the likes of EQ or DAOC. This works to a certain extent but means there is actually nothing else to do but fight mobs. OK there are quests, handled well but all simply involve killing mobs.

This wouldn't be too bad if the combat was handled well. But it isn't. Fights simply seem to boil down to pressing one key after another, crowd control isn't as precise as DAOC, healing is too easy ( AOE heal ffs ), blasters are massively overpowered.

Its a good game for a few weeks, possibly even a month or so. But its cast itself as an MMOG-lite, which is fine by me but it needs something else to do during the inevitably boring level grind.

IMO.
  • kalel 6 Jul 2004 12:24:19 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nooooo! My only ally.

Well, I think that it could get dull in the long term. Have you played it since the update? I think it's supposed to have dealt with some of the longevity issues that you mentioned.

Update details here

Edited by kalel at 11:32:41 06-07-2004
  • mugwump 6 Jul 2004 14:20:10 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm playing as HellRocketBoy (!!!!), a level 8 science tanker, on the Victory Server.

By the power of to infinity and beyond, I'll join you Kalel. Err at least that's if you're on the same server as me :)
  • kalel 6 Jul 2004 14:22:20 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Excellent, that is the same server as me. Are you going to be about tonight?
  • mugwump 7 Jul 2004 17:30:12 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    hi Kalel,

Busy week this one, sorting out arrangements for T in the Park this weeknd. Will try to get on CoH some time this evening or tomorrow night, but can make no promises...

How are you getting on with it now? Have you ventured into Perez Park yet?
  • kalel 7 Jul 2004 17:35:15 86,374 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, mostly hanging around Atlas and Galaxy, and occasionally getting my arse kicked in Kings. I'm now level 7 and can fly, which really adds a new dimension. Don't think I'd even looked up until yesterday, let alone scaled one of those skyscrapers.

Really loving it though. It just "feels" like I'm a super hero. I love teaming up and serving up the justice. If you are on just give me a broadcast.
  • Page

of 55 First / Last

Previous