Call of Duty: Black Ops (CoD 7)

• Page

of 102 First / Last

Previous
  • smoothpete 5 May 2009 11:16:51 31,695 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thought I'd get a thread going for the next Treyarch installment of the series. The numerical coding of Call of Duty is fucked now so I'll leave it as "7" until they release the official name. Probably Call of Duty: Cold War judging by this little thing on the front page:

Link to article

"Activision has been licensing Vietnam War-era music for Call of Duty 7, according to a "reliable source" on That Videogame Blog.

Music from Cuba, Africa and the Soviet Union is also mentioned, suggesting a Cold War setting for the seventh instalment.

The involvement of Activision/Treyarch lead producer Noah Heller is also noted. He said last year that he was "happy that we put [WWII] to bed" with Call of Duty: World at War, which adds weight to these claims.

Plus, with Infinity Ward occupying the modern-day battlefield with Modern Warfare 2 (Call of Duty 6), the choice of available conflicts is narrowed further still."

Link to That Videogame Blog

IMO, this could be an excellent setting. A bit more modern, but not like Modern Warfare. There's scope for a lot of variety in the locations which is great.

What do you reckon? Could be good I think. Treyarch seem to be upping their game a little bit, World At War wasn't perfect but it was a sharp improvement on CoD3.
  • Deleted user 5 May 2009 11:20:54
    WaW was a solid, decent shooter. The only problem was that it only had about two memorable setpieces (and they couldn't have been that memorable as I can't even remember them) compared to the dozen or so in 4.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 May 2009 11:23:47 26,336 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A new Vietnam game would be excellent. I haven't given it to Charlie in a while.
  • pjmaybe 5 May 2009 11:24:27 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    COD Vietnam would make me go all wibbley. Still reckon that Battlefield Vietnam was THE BEST Battlefield game of the lot

Does need Treyarch to be taken off the project, Infinity Ward to be put on, and for the devs to work out how to factor in direct control for choppers. No Vietnam game will be worth a squit without the ability to leap into a Cobra / Huey
  • Wastelander 5 May 2009 11:25:35 1,848 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know, it's all a bit uninspiring.
    How about some alternative history job, like Freedom Fighters 'Reds invade New York' styleee.

A proper Jungle environment like a 'nam game needs doesn't really work in games. They just end up as bushy corridor shooters.
  • smoothpete 5 May 2009 11:26:20 31,695 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed WaW, I thought it was a fair effort all round. There were some pretty cracking moments in it. The assault on the Reichstag building was a highlight (I'll happily play through that again sometimes).

Vietnam would be awesome, could get some Korea action going too, some Afganistan, Cuba, etc
  • Derblington 5 May 2009 11:26:53 22,096 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would have thought this would be CoD6 now that Modern Warfare is it's own series. And I still can't get that excited about the Treyarch made games...
  • smoothpete 5 May 2009 11:29:03 31,695 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    and for the devs to work out how to factor in direct control for choppers. No Vietnam game will be worth a squit without the ability to leap into a Cobra / Huey
    I disagree... It's not like your average infantry trooper would have suddenly decided to become a helicopter pilot. It's not Battlefield :)

If they do do 'nam, then I bet ten internet pounds right now that there's a set piece where you man a gun turret on a boat cruising up a river, Apocalypse Now stylee
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 May 2009 11:29:14 26,336 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought Treyarch actually did a pretty good job with WaW.
  • pjmaybe 5 May 2009 11:30:59 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd settle for that.

In fact tbh in an about-face thinking about how Treyarch / IW handle vehicles, I doubt they'd get the chopper balance right anyway.

+1 on what Derbs said, even though COD5 wasn't atrocious, I would much rather have IW in the dev chair for anything COD in future, in fact I thought that was the plan from now on? How come Treyarch are back doing COD?

(simple answer is probably "because they need to do 1-2 of these a year")
  • Deleted user 5 May 2009 11:31:31
    The problem with Vietnam games is that they're flawed from the outset - you're fighting a war that you don't win, so they ostensibly become either raw spectacle (making the setting largely pointless), or attempt to be meaningful and insightful, something that an FPS game really can't carry off.
  • gareth886 5 May 2009 11:32:43 2,841 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I would have thought this would be CoD6 now that Modern Warfare is it's own series.

Is it?
  • Derblington 5 May 2009 11:33:31 22,096 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I thought Treyarch actually did a pretty good job with WaW.
    Yeah, sure, but they just copied a template that IW laid out. Modern Warfare will be the series that evolves, Treyarch will copy that, then add their own ideas, then ruin the series.

Edit: Gareth - Modern warfare has dropped the CoD title. It'll be too confusing if we get Modern Warfare 2, 3, 4, etc, and CoD 7, 9, 11, etc.
  • smoothpete 5 May 2009 11:34:46 31,695 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Regarding IW / Treyarch, I'm happy with the situation personally. The alternative would be that we get one CoD game every two years from IW.... And that doesn't work for me. I'm happy to get one great one every two years, and one pretty good one every other year.

I'm just an absolutely whore for CoD! :D
  • smoothpete 5 May 2009 11:38:59 31,695 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Derbs, it doesn't necessarily follow that they'll ruin the series. Fingers crossed they'll keep improving

Anyway, Cold War locations. What could be good? If they did do Afghanistan, then wouldn't you have to fight the Ruskies playing as a Taliban fighter?!?! Can't see the american public going for that somehow...
  • pjmaybe 5 May 2009 11:46:13 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    The problem with Vietnam games is that they're flawed from the outset - you're fighting a war that you don't win, so they ostensibly become either raw spectacle (making the setting largely pointless), or attempt to be meaningful and insightful, something that an FPS game really can't carry off.

Depends though, if they adopt the classic COD method of allowing you to fight the war on two fronts, or even two sides, it could be a very interesting title indeed.

Reading between the lines from various sites, it's not even sure it's a Vietnam title yet - it sounds more Korean War to me with the way the cold war spin is being put on things.
  • Derblington 5 May 2009 11:49:03 22,096 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Derbs, it doesn't necessarily follow that they'll ruin the series. Fingers crossed they'll keep improving
    It's not a certainty, but what series have they worked on that they haven't, or aren't, running into the ground because they keep adding rather than refining? I'm just predicting. I don't rate them as a particularly talented developer, but maybe they don't need to be if IW keep them in check.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 May 2009 11:50:13 26,336 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Korean War would be even better. I don't recall any games based on that so far.
  • pjmaybe 5 May 2009 11:52:04 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think there have been one or two nerdy strategy games based around it but no action stuff yet so it's ripe for coverage. Problem is, it's a bit of an unknown quantity so as odd as it may sound, it might not sell as well not being based on a "popular" war (that really does sound weird...ne'er mind)

Thinking about Metal Gear Solid 3 though, I'd love some sort of a cold war mash-up meself.
  • malteaserhead 5 May 2009 11:52:31 13,444 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Gremmi wrote:
    The problem with Vietnam games is that they're flawed from the outset - you're fighting a war that you don't win

Depends though, if they adopt the classic COD method of allowing you to fight the war on two fronts, or even two sides, it could be a very interesting title indeed.

Yeah the multiple perspectives thing could be worked in well, plus the main dood you played in COD4 didn't really win as such. :)

Tbh anything that moves it away from corridor shooter would be fine. Games are getting ok at masking this but the seams are there all the same, with KZ2/Fear 2 being recent examples of just how closed fpses are: it all feels so last gen imo.
  • pjmaybe 5 May 2009 11:54:09 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Killzone 2's barely fit to be mentioned in the same thread as COD :)

Hope the KZ3 rumours turn out to be just that. Just rumours.
  • gareth886 5 May 2009 12:06:16 2,841 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Killzone 2 is awesome.
  • L_Franko Moderator 5 May 2009 12:09:39 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd like to see a COD Vietnam.
    As well as the American and French sides they could include the Australians which would be a new side to take control of.
    The French side of the campain may not last very long though.
  • pjmaybe 5 May 2009 12:11:05 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thinking about the Vietnam angle, they could do that so easily because they've got most of the jungle / terrain assets to just re-use from COD5. So even Treyarch couldn't really louse that up.

Does need choppers to feature heavily though, whether player controlled or no.
  • L_Franko Moderator 5 May 2009 12:14:17 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:

Does need choppers to feature heavily though, whether player controlled or no.

You can't have a Vietnam anything without them.

• pjmaybe 5 May 2009 12:15:35 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thoughts on a soundtrack have me all wibbley but again I think BF-V had it pretty much perfect.

Cobra attacks to Flight of the Valkyries were made of win
  • kalel 5 May 2009 12:21:48 89,175 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:

I thought CoD4 actually DID achieve the pathos thing very successfully. OK it was a little ham-fisted at times, but it was a much more mature and balanced effort in this respect that other games. I think if they gave Vietnam similar treatment it would be great.

Anyway, this sounds awesome to me. I’ve always wanted to play a decent linear SP FPS set in Vietnam, there’s been very few of these done considering how much they’ve milked WWII.
  • Wastelander 5 May 2009 12:25:08 1,848 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's been Shellshock '67, Men of Valor (sic) and Conflict: Vietnam from what I remember.

Men of Valor was the best one, but it was still just a corridor shooter with bushes instead of walls.
  • Harmonica 5 May 2009 12:41:34 967 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hopefully they do the Cold War then we can compare it unfavourably to Operation Flashpoint, maybe even the new one if they ever get that sucker out.

Honestly, any theatre of conflict where there has been a stellar previous example just so we can easily cite reasons why Treyarch are really rubbish.

Although to be honest, they could probably do a good zombie war game. Yeah that'll do.
  • neilka 5 May 2009 12:54:23 16,446 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have we had a request for B3T4 K3YZ yet?

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Page

of 102 First / Last

Previous