PGR Problem

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Angel_Treats 24 Jun 2004 20:02:07 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When I got the Xbox yesterday, I also got a copy of Project Gotham (the first one, not PGR2). It seemed the disc was faulty as it'd freeze every time you tried to load a track. It went back to the shop today and was exchanged for a new copy, which is doing exactly the same thing, always when you try to load a track. The Xbox is fine, it plays Halo and Midtown Madness 3 without a glitch, so it must be the disc but it's odd that both discs are doing this, and they were from two different branches of Argos. Has anyone else had any problems with PGR? Any bugs you've heard of? It's the Xbox Classics version of the game.
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Jun 2004 20:03:45 44,725 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mine is the original release, non-Classic version, and I've only had it freeze on me once while loading a track.

Sounds like it could be a duff batch.
  • rodney5 24 Jun 2004 20:04:32 462 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah it is a bug :

The MICROSOFT-BUG
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Jun 2004 20:08:35 44,725 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rodney5 wrote:
    Yeah it is a bug :

The MICROSOFT-BUG
    Don't you have a bridge to live under, rather than offer unhelpful comments like that?
  • WoodenSpoon 24 Jun 2004 20:09:12 12,285 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not a clue, but the Xbox Classics thing all seems a bit low budget - misspelled titles and so on, maybe they fucked something up?
  • perilikid 24 Jun 2004 20:09:29 1,713 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have had a problem with PGR, but I can't exactly remember where. It wasn't at an essential point in the game however.

As for a solution, umm, nope. Sorry.
  • WoodenSpoon 24 Jun 2004 20:10:38 12,285 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    rodney5 wrote:
    Yeah it is a bug :

The MICROSOFT-BUG
    Don't you have a bridge to live under, rather than offer unhelpful comments like that?

You see, what I do, is have him on ignore.
  • Angel_Treats 24 Jun 2004 20:15:27 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks a lot guys for the input. I'm going to package the whole lot up, Xbox and game and all, and take the lot back to the shop, just in case it is the box. I didn't have anything important saved yet anyway!
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Jun 2004 20:16:22 44,725 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    You see, what I do, is have him on ignore.
    I don't like the idea of that as it's always possible they might have an epiphany and see the error of their tard-like ways.

Saying that, I've been hovvering over the ignore link when reading supereva's twattage.
  • Sid_James'_Park 24 Jun 2004 20:18:33 193 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only problem I've had with PGR, is IMO gameplay wise it wasn't as good as MSR, the same goes for Jet Set Radio Future. Both titles were made easier in an attempt to entice the casual gamer to the Xbox.

My Xbox kept freezing on the final stage of Halo, I had to keep reloading my last save, when I eventually completed Halo, it never went back in the Xbox disk drive again.

You like fighting games Angel, then I suggest you get DOA3, it's a bit shallow but the graphics and cut scenes are great.
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Jun 2004 20:18:39 44,725 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Thanks a lot guys for the input. I'm going to package the whole lot up, Xbox and game and all, and take the lot back to the shop, just in case it is the box. I didn't have anything important saved yet anyway!
    'tis a bugger but it might be worth it in the long run.

Only 'Classic' game I have in my collection is Timesplitters 2, crappy as it is it still works fine.
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Jun 2004 20:23:03 44,725 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sid_James'_Park wrote:
    The only problem I've had with PGR, is IMO gameplay wise it wasn't as good as MSR, the same goes for Jet Set Radio Future. Both titles were made easier in an attempt to entice the casual gamer to the Xbox.
    Bah.

Have to agree, except I prefer PGR over MSR for that reason; it's a bit easier. That, and I can listen to Daft punk & White Stripes while racing ^_^

Jet Set Radio was tough but fantastic. Future is... unfocused with way too much backtracking. I couldn't leave JSR alone until I'd completed it yet I can't be arsed with JSRF despite its larger and in some ways more fun areas.

Ah well, eh?
  • perilikid 24 Jun 2004 20:38:11 1,713 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    Have to agree, except I prefer PGR over MSR for that reason; it's a bit easier. That, and I can listen to Daft punk & White Stripes while racing ^_^

Jet Set Radio was tough but fantastic. Future is... unfocused with way too much backtracking. I couldn't leave JSR alone until I'd completed it yet I can't be arsed with JSRF despite its larger and in some ways more fun areas.

Ah well, eh?
    I agree!

Well, that wasn't much fun, was it.
    With regards to JSRF, though, I think the reason I was a bit disappointed with it was that I'd just finished JSR (much in the way that you suggested) and didn't feel like its sequel offered enough new ideas to make me carry on.
  • Angel_Treats 25 Jun 2004 00:34:34 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got a new Xbox. This one won't read ANY FUCKING DISCS at all, not a CD, not a DVD and not a game. I'm ready to kill someone. Preferably someone that works in argos.
  • westernmusic 25 Jun 2004 00:37:01 602 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got Semtex .... tell me when, tell me where.
  • Angel_Treats 25 Jun 2004 00:38:49 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Argos, Newry, County Down, Northern Ireland, any time tomorrow between the hours of 9.30am and 9.00pm. Thanks for your assistance.
  • Decoded 25 Jun 2004 00:39:18 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bloody hell, what a pain in the arse. I thought that sort of not-workage was reserved for PS2 consoles.

Most of us are pissed of for another reason so you're not alone...
  • Angel_Treats 25 Jun 2004 00:40:02 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hyoushi reckons that maybe I'm just not meant to own an Xbox. I'm starting to agree with him...
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 25 Jun 2004 00:45:36 6,170 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Keep the faith, and in death you will be reborn.
  • Khab 25 Jun 2004 02:07:06 6,576 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You might want to look at getting it from somewhere else than Argos, at this rate. :)

At least you didn't keep the old one, thinking it was just something with the disc, and then in a year's time have the 'box not reading anything...
  • Sid-Nice 25 Jun 2004 02:47:18 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What a useless git Andy is, trust him to buy a dodgy Xbox! You might have to clean your lazer. Try unplugging the Xbox and resetting your date and time etc.

I know you said you received a remote controller with your console what port do you have it in? Is it an official one?
    Try just booting up with the joy pad in and see what happens.

NNID Sid-Nice

• pjmaybe 25 Jun 2004 10:04:27 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Angel - not very helpful I know but talk to the management at argos and make sure they're giving you a sealed unit - ie one with all the original microsoft anti-tamper stickers intact. Same goes for the disks.

In my short experience with argos I've seen some very dodgy goings on with consoles and games there. Returned stock is just put back out to customers. I've heard of people opening up their PS2 boxes to find the PS2 inside is fucked, missing bits, had all its screws taken out and insides removed - or is just not there at all and has been replaced with a couple of bricks! (I kid you not!)

Argos is one of the WORST places to buy a console from so I'm not surprised you've had trouble.

If you can't get what you want from them, ditch 'em and get it somewhere else.

Peej
  • Angel_Treats 25 Jun 2004 10:25:29 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One of the solicitors in our office moonlights as a supervisor in Argos, and she reckons they haven't had any other returns as far as she knows, so I think it's unlikely it was a bad batch. God knows what way they're storing them! I do want the Halo/MM3 package though and Game don't seem to be doing them, nor are Index, and that's really about all the options exhausted. I think I'm going to go back this evening and make them take out a pile of Xboxen and hook them up to the tellies they have on display until I find one that works. Also might keep hold of the games from the bundle but demand a standalone Xbox (ie non-bundle) and see if that's any better, probably a different batch wouldn't you think? I might even throw a tantrum, if I can be arsed!*

*unlikely. I'm too lazy for tantrums.
  • Angel_Treats 25 Jun 2004 10:43:56 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The ones I got were the little ones in the paper packets, like the OEM software you get with hardware. Pity, I like having all my games all boxed up and arranged prettily on the shelves ;)
  • Angel_Treats 25 Jun 2004 22:22:47 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Panic over! Seems like the old saying 'third time lucky' applies - Console #3 is working perfectly and that even includes PGR! I'm now the proud owner of a *working* Xbox and I feel like a mother with a new baby. Actually I don't know how a mother with a new baby feels since I don't have any babies... what the hell point was I trying to make? ...oh yeah. Xbox. It's lovely, I love it, it's my new favourite toy. That is all.

/off to play Halo
  • WoodenSpoon 25 Jun 2004 22:31:39 12,285 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hit it Marines.
  • Obscured 25 Jun 2004 22:35:45 1,187 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So when can we expect you on Live?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next