David Reeves - any questions?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Mugwum Staff 29 Apr 2009 22:22:20 625 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hi guys,

I'm going to be interviewing David Reeves tomorrow morning - it's his last day as president of SCEE! We get ample opportunity to talk to Sony about the current state of things (and have done recently, as you'll see soon), but this seems like a chance to ask a veteran of the entire European PlayStation 1-3 cycle *anything* that comes to mind about that era. I've got quite a few questions in mind, but I'd be delighted to throw in a few from you guys. If you have a question, post it here and I'll try to use it.

Since this is the forum, I'd also like to add for the record that I've always enjoyed interviewing and speaking to David. He has a penchant for elaborate metaphor, but he is also the most straight-talking console executive I've met, not even afraid of contradicting the US or Japanese line to speak the truth, and I will really miss him once he's gone. Whatever the business side of it - and I think it's closer than people acknowledge - his successor Andrew House has big shoes to fill on the publicity front, I believe.

And while, this being the internet, I know we'll get some knocks and comedy, if any of you wants to wish David farewell, I'll relay that too. Sony has always supported and devoured Eurogamer content - sometimes quietly, compared to Microsoft - and David does himself. I know that he would be interested in your feedback. Perhaps he'll be lured back into something games-related despite his retirement. After all, he can't play Lair forever, innit.

Tom.
  • jonsaan 29 Apr 2009 22:24:44 25,326 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PS3 question: Ask him why the EU store is so hopelessly behind the Japanese one when it comes to being stuffed with tons of PS1 games, themes and you know, cool stuff. WHY?! Why?

FCUTA!

• Metalfish 29 Apr 2009 22:26:47 8,785 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why was Kula World so hard to get hold of when it was released on ps1?

/Doesn't own a Ps3 but wanted to contribute.
  • repairmanjack 29 Apr 2009 22:27:08 5,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has he ever shared gamers' frustrations about Sony's strangulation of the import scene?

And can his last act as president be to get Demons' Souls a Western release? Please.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2009 22:30:06
    Give him a big slobbery kiss from me Tom, with pix. :)

+1 for Demon's Souls
  • Deleted user 29 April 2009 22:31:12
    When does the next gen start?
  • neilka 29 Apr 2009 22:35:30 15,622 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What's on the end of the stick, Vic?
  • Derblington 29 Apr 2009 22:37:09 21,261 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mugwum wrote:
    ...not even afraid of contradicting the US or Japanese line to speak the truth...

Sony are odd like that, each arm is almost independant.

Anyhoo, I don't have any questions, that I can think of, but congratulate him and wish him well. He's one of the many that changed the face of gaming with the PS brand, and it was a massive achievement that is largely forgotten with Nintendo now doing the same in a different direction.

Maybe there's a queston in that, his proudest achievement or if there's anything he didn't agree with/was able to change in regard to the brand in Europe? Or something.
  • PinkSpider 29 Apr 2009 22:41:22 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    PS3 question: Ask him why the EU store is so hopelessly behind the Japanese one when it comes to being stuffed with tons of PS1 games, themes and you know, cool stuff. WHY?! Why?
    This. I'd be all for using my PSP constantly if it had half the stuff the Japanese store does.

(PSOne games)
    Japan: 239
    UK: 40
  • gamingdave 29 Apr 2009 22:46:30 4,179 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How much does he feel that SCEE infuenced the global brand, does he feel they helped shape the direction of Sony over the lifeline of the Playstation brand.

What does he think is the biggest thing it contributed (not talking about the massive user base).
  • Deleted user 29 April 2009 22:47:14
    Fuck questions. Take him hostage until they release FFVII on the PSN store.
  • bad09 29 Apr 2009 22:51:41 5,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh don't get me started!

Mr Reeves when PS3 hit at a price NO ONE could AFFORD, we were sold the joy of a "home" to the Playstation brand. A place were all things Playstation would live, so why to get a realistic price for consumers did you cut out a big chunk of that promise?

I have to ask because that plan had AMAZING potential, one (well two counting PSP - another wasted opportunity but at least the wheels are slowly turning on that one!) machine and an online network with literally YEARS of classic gaming on tap.

An absolute winner.....So....why, only 7 months after purchase was my PS3 relegated to a media player and a PS1 while my 360 bags all the gaming (with it's custom music/better online/better exclusives etc, etc...).

Why have I bought (2nd hand you horrible B/C stealing gits!) another PS2 to get a hit of the "Playstation brand" because the only PS2 your PS3 "Playstation brand" gives is the late in life crap like KZ, Buzz and Singstar.

Also why is PSN Euro a joke?

Also where is G-Police?

Also where is Colony Wars?

Also where is Getaway?

Don't get me started on why is your PS3/PSP combo so utterly held back because of Sony's (and the whole ents industry's) horrid, sales rotting fear of IP/copyright theft! FFS Reeves, have a word before you go WE WANT TO RIP OUR OWN SHIT TO!

All in All Mr Reeves I'm a fan of PS since PS1 launched (honest!) so why do I constantly slag you off and complain these days and turn to previous machines of yours or a certain competitor?

Phew, that's better. Anyway feel free to use those, doubt you will tho :)

Edit - Can you also ask him for a cure for dislexia.....dicelexea.....deslyxia....aaah I can't bloody sepll it!
  • wayneh 29 Apr 2009 22:54:28 2,280 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Fuck questions. Take him hostage until they release FFVII on the PSN store.

This ^^^

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• rogermellie 29 Apr 2009 22:55:40 24 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will he be playing golf with Kutaragi or Allard?

Does he think it was a mistake for the PS3 to ignore the PS2's library of games?
  • Widge Moderator 29 Apr 2009 23:07:17 13,243 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PinkSpider wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:
    This. I'd be all for using my PSP constantly if it had half the stuff the Japanese store does.

(PSOne games)

Most importantly, in addition to why, is this request, this plea that keeps cropping up, something that is being considered by SCEE? Do they actually know this is what people want? A lot of the time we are getting things that aren't being asked for while more pressing issues linger. At the moment, the silence and lack of releases implies a direction pressing forward assuming all is fine and dandy where there is a decent crop of people waving for attention. Add into that basket that we lag behind on Home and other similar things somewhat.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• bad09 29 Apr 2009 23:08:26 5,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PinkSpider wrote:
    (PSOne games)

Christ no wonder he's going....
  • Deleted user 29 April 2009 23:12:49
    Is there a reason they have completely given up on the PSP, considering better PS1 support would sell buckets.
  • ThreeOutsideDown 30 Apr 2009 00:26:32 1,011 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    with hindsight, what's the worst business decision he made whilst president of scee?

we only usually get to hear about the success stories, let's read some dirt for a change! :)
  • warlockuk 30 Apr 2009 00:35:23 19,131 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why is the PS3 so crap?
    Why don't they do HD MKV support? (Fuck transcoding, it's for cunts)

If it had done MKV support, say, six months ago I'd have bought one. Might have even bought some games.

Nah.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 30 April 2009 00:38:56
    Does he secretely admire Nintendo?
  • Res 30 Apr 2009 01:17:37 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would quite like a free TV, he could use his last day trying to sort that out for me.

Why hasn't SCE tried to unify all of their website content? It seems like the European and US websites are fighting against each other trying to introduce their own trophy tracking style Gamercards, rather than working together to come up with one style and system to use across the board. From the outside looking in it all looks very messy.

I would imagine there will be a similar issue with the soon to be launched European blog, all developers currently post their news on the US blog so why can't the US blog be renamed and used for all regions instead of trying to split everything up? This could mean that publishers and developers will have to start sticking two release dates at the end of their posts for European and US versions of games, but surely it is a better solution than forcing your customers to go to multiple places to find the information they need?

/realises none of this will make sense when re-read in the morning and goes to sleep
  • Deleted user 30 April 2009 03:31:38
    Yeah, I want to know that too. Why has SCE been so slow to adopt a global mentality and was Reeves for or against this approach ie. global versus regional focus? Also want to know why they haven't introduced PSN cards in PAL territories.
  • bad09 30 Apr 2009 06:57:14 5,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disc wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    Also where is Getaway?

Getaway was cancelled a bit over a year ago.

Oh yeah I know that, but it shouldn't have been! Christ if Sony can wastes HUGE amounts of time, resources and PR on arse like Motorstorm, Resistance, Home or even those stupid PSP Go! apps, surely the "home" of Playstation could have a sequel to a fairly well known PS2 series! If snoozezone can have sequel privileges why not The Getaway?
  • morriss 30 Apr 2009 07:11:17 70,911 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In hindisight, was the integration of Blu Ray a mistake if we look at price contra units shifted?
  • bad09 30 Apr 2009 07:17:25 5,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Because the Getaway IP wasn't worth much any more.

Take it back you slag or I'll do ya!

Seriously though, I disagree. First was rough but was a success had potential, OK they done very little to improve that with Black Monday but current gen Getaway having a blast in London? Surely it's worth more than constantly trying to lure us into Home, when we didn't even want it in the first place? Or spending loads trying to sell a harcore level designing game as a casual friendly game?

No I think The Getaway IP is worth a lot, it's just sad Sony has it as they couldn't do anything with it.

• yupyup 30 Apr 2009 07:24:41 3,678 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    disc wrote:
    Because the Getaway IP wasn't worth much any more.

Take it back you slag or I'll do ya!

Seriously though, I disagree. First was rough but was a success had potential, OK they done very little to improve that with Black Monday but current gen Getaway having a blast in London? Surely it's worth more than constantly trying to lure us into Home, when we didn't even want it in the first place? Or spending loads trying to sell a harcore level designing game as a casual friendly game?

No I think The Getaway IP is worth a lot, it's just sad Sony has it as they couldn't do anything with it.

This.

As a PS2 owner who quite enjoyed both Getaway titles, a similarly decent new one would bring me personally closer to the tipping point of having enough exclusives to warrant a purchase.

Hands Off Our Penises

• Mugwum Staff 30 Apr 2009 09:43:45 625 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hi guys. Thanks for this! I got a couple out of there. I've only got a little while with him, but hopefully we'll get to the bottom of something :-)
  • Bigglesworth 30 Apr 2009 14:22:20 368 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @morriss

The PS3's BluRay support won Sony the BD/HDDVD format war in one stroke. Hardly a mistake?
  • Hunam 30 Apr 2009 14:24:32 20,674 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't call it a mistake, but considering the lack of uptake in HD formats it might have not been worth the cost.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous