Terry Pratchett Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • localnotail 29 Apr 2009 13:52:10 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been reading his books since he started writing them. I kept pace with him until Pyramids, and then I got interested in something else. His writing has a distinct, inflexible style that is ultimately funny, but it becomes formulaic through the sheer volume of it. Blackadder has this quality too (until the very end of Series 4, I was not expecting that)

Being aware of this doesn't mean I don't rate him as an author - he is one of the few writers who can make me actually LOL. And he has a warmth and detail to his characterisation that is almost like Dickens. I have really enjoyed every book of his I have read, and some of them I return to like an old jumper. especially Mort. I love Mort.

I guess that the world is just divided between those that never cease to be amused by the fact that Death TALKS IN HOLLOW CAPITALS, and those who think it's a bit stupid & childish. I will always feel a bit sorry for those who can't enjoy humour that is both silly and clever. Blessed are the Geek, for they shall inherit the Mirth.

My company ran the Discworld Convention in 2008 for his fans. I'm really sorry I missed it due to my being away at a festival and really not capable of driving back to see him. We're doing it next year as well, by the sounds of it, he should still be around for that - and be aware that he's there. He is not going quietly into the night, and all that. Lovely man.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• sirtacos 29 Apr 2009 17:59:45 7,268 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I didn't expect this kind of response... seems I picked the right place to ask.
    Thanks all. I'll buy Guards! + Going Postal and work from there.
  • kdsh7 29 Apr 2009 18:17:54 1,167 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Night Watch is one of my favourite books ever - I've bought my wife every City Watch book just so that she can read it as intended!
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • varsas 21 Oct 2011 09:31:36 2,401 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did anyone go to the event on Tuesday? I didn't know he played games and it was funny that he wrote his latest "Snuff" involving goblin due to their representation in "Oblivion" :)
  • delbert 16 Jan 2012 12:23:18 2,889 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have just taken delivery of all "the watch" novels (these which were 9.99 when I bought so couldnt resist) and was wondering.. I know that I should be able to read these stand alone but was wondering how much I would benefit if I started at the beginning of the discworld books and worked through as opposed to just reading this set in chronological order?

My only previous experience was Mort about the time it was released..
  • Nemesis 16 Jan 2012 12:27:46 18,594 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think you'd be OK to jump right in. The novels settled down after Light and characters dip in and out. You'd get a better overall picture going from the beginning, but it's not really essential IMO. I always treat the books as standalone stories anyhow.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2012 12:34:51
    i think you only be missing out on odd decriptive details about Anhk Morpork/discword. Pratchett makes his books quite accessible by always giving a couple of footnotes or sentences to re-confirm details from other books.

My first pratchett book was Guards Guards, and i had no issues with it. saying that like you it came in a trilogy with men at arms and feet of clay and i did read other books out of order after that. He has a few different series though, like the witches series, and rincewind novels and death series, and the odd couple of standalone discworld books. So i guess reading them in order could make sense, but you won't be left confused if you didn't. But his later books are so more refined then his earlier books imo.

I am going through them in order at the moment (well i read the next one in the series after i read a few other books) and currently reading witches abroad. (Which is funny as usual)
  • delbert 16 Jan 2012 14:12:11 2,889 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers guys I'll start with Guards, Guards then and if I really feel the need can always pick up the earlier ones after that
  • Silvermoth 6 Mar 2012 11:20:06 46 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I adore Discworld! I've read every single one in the series.

Guards Guards is not my favourite City Watch book to be honest. I feel like it didn't really hit it's stride til it got to "Jingo" then it got awesome
  • Stickman 6 Mar 2012 11:35:31 29,657 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Night Watch is the best Vimes book, and in fact the best book in the series, in my opinion.

Which is correct.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• skuzzbag 6 Mar 2012 11:49:26 5,636 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't choose a favorite amongst them. I've just tried they all have too many fond memories of happy reading for me. If you read them in order it does give you an opportunity to see how well he has developed as a writer.
  • Silvermoth 7 Mar 2012 11:01:25 46 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Terry's just announced his new book on his facebook page. "My world of poo" (also written by Felicity Beedle)
  • munki83 9 Mar 2012 06:55:15 1,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any book with the city watch are brilliant apart from snuff which is a vimes book. Jingo is one of my favourites
  • Deleted user 22 March 2012 00:00:57
    Jingo is one of the few i havn't read. I have to say nightwatch as well. But also really enjoyed the fifth elephant. Probably i think, my two favourite of his. hard to choose.

Delbert - how did you get on with guards guards?

Edited by joelstinton at 14:37:56 22-03-2012
  • Deleted user 22 March 2012 00:01:02
    Post deleted
  • spamdangled 22 Mar 2012 00:10:00 27,269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @joelstinton

Jingo really isn't very good.

After Interesting Times, most of the Discworld novels really aren't worth reading up until around The Truth came out. Hogfather, Fifth Elephant and Last Continent are particularly awful.

Going Postal and Making Money are great though. Thud is ok. Got Snuff but haven't read it yet.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:10:55 22-03-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RyanDS 22 Mar 2012 07:15:30 9,058 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @joelstinton

After Interesting Times, most of the Discworld novels really aren't worth reading up until around The Truth came out. Hogfather, Fifth Elephant and Last Continent are particularly awful.

Going Postal and Making Money are great though. Thud is ok. Got Snuff but haven't read it yet.
    Small Gods
    Mort
    Guards Guards
    Lords and Ladies
    Men at Arms

Those at least are superb. Small Gods especially should be required reading.

Not to mention Good Omens.
  • RobAnybody 2 Jun 2012 20:04:52 881 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @joelstinton

I both love Jingo and Thud! :)

Snuff is awful though. :(
  • Deleted user 2 June 2012 20:11:14
    I really liked the fifth elephant when it came out. havn't read it since though. The truth i liked a lot as well. Probably have to agree about the sheer volume comment though. I think depending on how and when you read the book in relationship to the others probably effects the you views of one book. If you read 6 in a row you will probably grow tired of his writing. It is one dimensional (but alot of fun in their own right)

Small gods is my next on the list. Looking up the page its been 6 months since i read witches abroad.

Edited by joelstinton at 21:46:12 02-06-2012
  • mal 2 Jun 2012 21:33:36 22,334 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Probably the best Ankh Morpork book I've read is The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. It's a book for younger readers, but it fits quite well into the post-night-watch Ankh Morpork era, and is one of his most inventive books and one of the few Pratchett books that's made me laugh out loud since the early ones.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Garfy 2 Jun 2012 23:06:50 671 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jingo is great as are most of the others. In fact the only one I don't like is Carpe Jugulum.

Also, Nation may not be Discworld but it is required reading.
  • mal 2 Jun 2012 23:20:59 22,334 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah yeah, Nation is possibly his best book. Quite affecting in the end, I found.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Sarahshade 21 Mar 2013 10:02:21 139 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I loved Equal Rites, give that a go!

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next