I'm a non techie mum, that needs help :)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • madmole 27 Apr 2009 10:08:19 2 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hi peeps, both my sons have XBox 360's and both are connected to the net via a Linksys router.
    They can both get on to play against other gamers online but are having a problem joining party with their friends. i.e if 1 of them is already joined to a party the other one cannot join a different party. Is there a way around this?

I'm not technically minded so is there someone out there who can solve this problem without talking too tehnically at me - remeber i'm nearly 40 and a girlie !!! LOL

Thanks

Moley
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Apr 2009 10:12:11 36,290 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I seem to remember reading about problems if 2 Xbox 360s are connected via the same Internet connection. I know you said don't talk technical... But if I recall correctly, it's the age old problem of NAT settings. You might need to assign each Xbox a static IP address on the router, and then open the appropriate ports on the firewall.

Yeah... Good luck!

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• kalel 27 Apr 2009 10:12:18 83,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hello. Do they have their own unique subscruiptions to LIVE?
  • Lutz 27 Apr 2009 10:12:56 48,854 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I prefer mad ferrets myself. They've up for anything.

*ahem*

AFAIK, no, due to the chat system. My friends sister said she had similar problems.
  • psychokitten Moderator 27 Apr 2009 10:14:01 7,791 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can you try this first, and see if you get any error codes:

On the Xbox 360 go up to "My Xbox", then across to "System Settings".
    Then down to "Network Settings". Then "Test Xbox Live connection". See if it pops up any messages, and choose to view more info if it does get an error.

Nitpick: being a girlie doesn't automatically mean being non technical!
  • Carlo 27 Apr 2009 10:29:22 17,913 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Madmole, call your ISP and ask them if you can have a second IP address. Virgin used to do it (and I think they still do) as part of a 'gamer' package.

PSN ID: Djini

• malteaserhead 27 Apr 2009 10:32:55 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    I'd also have though it was NAT setting related as they tend to be the major cause of problems with joining games and parties.

Ya. Could be. I've had major problems with Nats and joining parties in the past but can't say much about 2 xboxes on the same connection.

A factory reset (not soft or unplugging it for a bit) works for me, always, after ages of unsuccessfully tweaking ports, assigning addresses, doing other things I don't fully comprehend.
  • bigshot316 27 Apr 2009 10:34:41 23,402 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    On a similar topic, my little cousin is having some trouble with his new Xbox live account.
    He cannot join a party I start, I cannot join one that he starts and we cannot join one anothers games when we send an invite. I do not have this problem with anybody else whatsoever, and have never had trouble. I'm on an 8 meg line.
    He is able to play online games when joining other players games (usually on COD or L4D) so I don't understand why we have trouble. I think he may only be on a 2 meg line but I dont see why he cant join a game that I start.
    Any ideas?
  • bigshot316 27 Apr 2009 10:57:35 23,402 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks mate.

What's NAT stand for???!!

Lol I think he will be on BT but I'm with Post Office Broadband who have been consistently brilliant since I got it 16 Months ago.

It must be something to do with his as I have never had any problems before.

I'll try resetting it!
  • bigshot316 27 Apr 2009 11:01:30 23,402 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah now everything is crystal clear!! :s

Lol thanks dude.
  • Byzanite 27 Apr 2009 11:05:50 6 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I might be wrong but i dont think its possible. 360's use specific network ports to communicate to Party or game lobbies, etc. When one 360 is using the specific port for a party the 2nd is unable to use that port to connect to same or different party. In summary, there is one port available for one 360 which both cant use.
  • Pirotic Moderator 27 Apr 2009 11:10:56 20,646 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Byzanite wrote:
    I might be wrong but i dont think its possible. 360's use specific network ports to communicate to Party or game lobbies, etc. When one 360 is using the specific port for a party the 2nd is unable to use that port to connect to same or different party. In summary, there is one port available for one 360 which both cant use.

Well, the router would have to deal with all the local port malarkey anyway, you can have two different local ports both connecting to the same remote port no problems, and the pre-defined local ports are always a range so as to allow multiple machines to connect at once from the same router anyway, so I doubt that's the problem.

The problem which they probably have here is when data comes back from that remote port, if both xboxes are connected to it, the router might not be forwarding the data to them both, it'll probably just forward it all on to whichever made the connection first.
  • Retroid Moderator 27 Apr 2009 11:16:27 44,501 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got two 360s working fine with one router at home, but Mrs Retroid's account is only Silver so I've not been able to test it with parties and the like.

This is on BeThere internet and their Thompson router, my previous router (a 3com) wouldn't even allow both 360s to log into Live at the same time even though all the settings were fine, it just didn't like it.
    psychokitten wrote:
    Well, quite - Mrs Retroid is a perfect example of this ^_____^
  • psychokitten Moderator 27 Apr 2009 12:30:32 7,791 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Might test this out. We have multiple 360s, but himself doesn't play 360 games online, the only time he would join a party is if we're playing something co-op, and then we're in the same party.
  • madmole 27 Apr 2009 15:54:33 2 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Retroid wrote:

psychokitten wrote:
    Well, quite - Mrs Retroid is a perfect example of this ^_____^

Yes quite indeed, you're absolutely corrrect so many apologies for this comment psychokitten, i wasn't fully with it this morning, although i fear it still applies to me ;)

Network settings don't show up any problems and reports that all is well.

What is uPnP and where do i find it to turn it on? (i liked your simplicity there Fluffy Tucker ;-))

Will read and digest the replies and see if I get anywhere , thanks to you all.
    Madmole
  • Grunk 27 Apr 2009 16:11:45 4,718 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    According to the internet you need to stick one of the Xboxes in your DMZ.

Link

So you need to turn on uPnP.
    Open the correct ports for the xboxes.
    Assign one of the Xboxes a static IP
    Put that Xbox in the DMZ.

Who is you ISP?

We can go through this step at a time if you like?
  • Fat_Pigeon 27 Apr 2009 16:15:42 9,790 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I Had this same problem and despite my vastly inferior networking knowledge i put it down too 2 consoles both trying to go throught the same port's

i know you said your not techie but here was my solution to this problem

1. set both xboxs unique I.P addresses
    2. Forward 1 set of ports on your router to 1 of your xbox I.Ps http://portforward.com/ that should help allot
    3. put the second xbox I.P. into the DMZ of the router

well it worked for me....

Will try to write an in-depth explanation of how too do it when i have a little more time later and when i can remember what the linksys console looks like

do you know what model your router is at a guess if you did the network check and no errors your uPnP is already turned on and you just need to st one of the xboxs too a static ip and stick it in the DMZ
  • Tomahawk 27 Apr 2009 16:23:10 120 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is the Eurogamer tech department, have you tried turning it on and off?
  • smernicki 27 Apr 2009 16:30:42 149 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    make them share one
  • ronuds 27 Apr 2009 16:59:24 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a few friends with this issue. They had 3 people with xboxs, all trying to access Live wirelessly off the same router.

I could never get in a game with more than 1 of them at a time.
  • Xerx3s 28 Apr 2009 08:24:35 23,944 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just a thought but did you consider ringing tech support before coming here? In all likelihood they will be able to help you much better than the peeps on here.

/stares blankly
  • JGib123 28 Apr 2009 20:34:54 11 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Edit: Don't be a dick.
  • daz_john_smith 29 Apr 2009 03:06:46 1,631 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be fair, Xbox tech support are mostly useless. If turning it off and on and again doesn't solve the problem then they're stumped.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next