New Alien Vs Predator game from Rebellion for PS3/360/PC Page 22

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• phAge 5 Feb 2010 01:17:25 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    It should have just been a straight forward Aliens game. Screw Predators anyway.
    This. Gimme a hardcore, scary-as-fuck Colonial Marines game anytime. Wasn't this in the pipeline at some point?
  • HoriZon 5 Feb 2010 01:20:09 13,495 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Playing as an Alien is a right mind fuck!

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Triggerhappytel 5 Feb 2010 01:26:08 2,667 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    It should have just been a straight forward Aliens game. Screw Predators anyway.
    This. Gimme a hardcore, scary-as-fuck Colonial Marines game anytime. Wasn't this in the pipeline at some point?

Yeah, Aliens: Colonial Marines has been on and off development for about ten years now. It was originally being developed by EA but was canned, and Sega picked the idea up for a Gearbox development when they got the licence, but that seems to have entered limbo again, as nothing solid has been heard or announced in a long time.

This game is almost as delayed and unlucky as Duke Nukem Forever.
  • phAge 5 Feb 2010 01:28:54 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wank. The predator is awesome and all that, but a story-driven marines vs aliens game (hell, you could simply adapt the plot in Aliens by cutting out the Ripley solo-bits) would be even more awesomerer.
  • Bulbatron 5 Feb 2010 02:49:07 832 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had another go earlier and still really enjoyed it. I still didn't feel the loss of crouch, but I do take the points made by those who are missing it from earlier AVP games.

The problems some people seem to have with the multiplayer - or the mode provided in the demo at least - was that it was too simplistic. I think that's why I enjoyed it so much.

I actually managed to kill two Predators using the Alien on my most recent session.

I've already posted these in the comments section for the demo news, but just in case anybody who hasn't seen them is curious - here's some footage from the single player - Marine perspective. Obviously, there might be spoilers. The first video is, I believe, taken from the Marine opening. They are for the XBOX 360 version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQ_Z7_seCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZD73t_-4XM&feature=related

I reckon they look great. Can't wait to get stuck into the single player!

Wow - what a mansion!

• DUFFMAN5 5 Feb 2010 06:12:43 14,380 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't manage to get connected last night, managed to download this morning at 04:30 mind, no fooker seemed to be on, or at least I was waiting for 10 mins to get a game. I did send a load of invites to fellow EG-ers, no one responded (haha, wake up you shower of lovely gaming God-like shites :) Had to give up, due to coming to work.
    We need to get teams of 8 and send invites I think.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• MrE26 5 Feb 2010 07:42:52 1,918 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:
    Had another go earlier and still really enjoyed it. I still didn't feel the loss of crouch, but I do take the points made by those who are missing it from earlier AVP games.

The problems some people seem to have with the multiplayer - or the mode provided in the demo at least - was that it was too simplistic. I think that's why I enjoyed it so much.

I actually managed to kill two Predators using the Alien on my most recent session.

I've already posted these in the comments section for the demo news, but just in case anybody who hasn't seen them is curious - here's some footage from the single player - Marine perspective. Obviously, there might be spoilers. The first video is, I believe, taken from the Marine opening. They are for the XBOX 360 version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQ_Z7_seCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZD73t_-4XM&feature=related

I reckon they look great. Can't wait to get stuck into the single player!
    Those videos look fucking awesome. They've picked the wrong mode for the demo, even a team deathmatch mode would have been preferable, but i thought it looked fine & controlled well enough to give me an idea how single player will play, which is what i'm mainly interested in.
  • ChocNut 5 Feb 2010 08:05:09 2,184 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just downloaded it 15 mins ago and got a game in 2 mins. I was the predator and it was SERIOUSLY good fun.

I suppose I was lucky but then at 8am on a Friday the servers not under pressure. Well, off to work now!
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 08:14:35
    It's amazing that a bunch of game designers seem to get it and a filmmaker, PTA, doesn't.

Hey! There's a familiar voice in that gameplay video. Lance Henrikson no less.
  • bad09 5 Feb 2010 08:24:10 5,623 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cor blimey!

silentbob wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    Well a demo isn't really there to make you want the game ...
    Statement guarantees that the rest of post is drivel.

Er.. try quoting the 2nd part of that sentence instead of talking drivel. A demo is there to "try" a game, whether that demo makes you want the game is down to you liking the game......

Lukey__b wrote:
    How is it utter crap?

If they had released a demo for Mass Effect where they just let you go around a planet in the Mako, would that have been a good demo? No, because they included the bit most people thought was the weakest.

After 2 games of this I said to my mates "I wish it was another game mode other than Deathmatch".

Yes I can see how all 3 control, not extremely well. But how does this translate in terms of tactics/gameplay in a proper game? Playing it as deathmatch is like any game in deathmatch... run around or camp in one spot, thats the extent of it.

Come on the mako is a different style of gameplay from the onfoot sections, Avp is 100% FPS shoot/bite/scratch.shoot/bite/scratch. Of course there are singleplayer modes and various MP modes but it's STILL shoot/bite/scratch.

Machetazo wrote:
    I read your comment, and Hunam's opinion. and I believed there was merit in both of your views about what a demo's purpose was. But, I felt there was a key point you had overlooked, in particular. You seemed to be posting as if you believed this was some kind of internal beta, where they can try stuff and tweak and balance, and that, in preparation to bring the game to the public.
    Maybe the release now, patch later culture is so far heavier ingrained on the PC side? They won't even get that luxury, on the consoles. They can't just patch that content, easily. That's now a taster product that's out there. People will determine whether to buy or not, largely based on that. They'll assume that Rebellion is bringing its A Game.

Interesting that Gearskin offered reasoning in that way for R's approach, because, if I were to play AVP PC, I would expect a higher quality performance on a sufficiently capable machine over the console versions, and impressions tell that they haven't even got that right.

No I don't believe it's a beta of some kind, not sure what gave you that impression.

OK that's it no more. I'll leave it at I love AvP and personally I thought the demo was a great showcase for what the game will offer (technical issues aside) and really looking forward to it. Looking at here and Steam some love it some hate it. Business as usual....
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Feb 2010 08:29:48 14,380 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right then Fill my slot (s) for AvP (360) tonight after 21:00 (I have downloaded and ready to go)
    1 me obviously (Duffman glen)
    2:
    3:
    4:
    5:
    6:
    7:
    8:
    ...don't be shy.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 5 February 2010 08:32:26
    I'd love to, but I'll probably be pissed as a fart.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 08:33:20
    I'm not sure what I'm doing, but you're on my friends list so look out for me.

Like Crispy there's the outside chance I'll be on later and blotto.
  • Demikaze 5 Feb 2010 08:36:49 6,698 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, melee attacks can be consistently blocked by all species if you're facing your foe, you can then immediately follow up with a melee and knock them to the floor or stun them. Bit weird having a marine block an alien's attack, makes the xeno seem a little weak, but I guess it's a balancing thing.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 08:37:32
    Good idea Duffman, will do the same but for PS3 owners. If you post here or in the PS3 thread, I'll update the list below and we'll get a game started, maybe we can agree to play species vs species.

1. Vertical Stand (PSN ID akaten)
    2. CptSupermarket
    3. novo44 (novocaineproject)
    4. L3E (trfcL3E)
  • bad09 5 Feb 2010 08:43:35 5,623 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vertical Stand wrote:
    .....maybe we can agree to play species vs species.

When it was easier to get games on the PC demo that's what a lot were doing. I had great fun teaming up with marines and kicking Xenomorph ass!
  • glo 5 Feb 2010 08:46:16 3,421 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Right then Fill my slot (s) for AvP (360) tonight after 21:00 (I have downloaded and ready to go)
    1 me obviously (Duffman glen)
    2:
    3:
    4:
    5:
    6:
    7:
    8:
    ...don't be shy.

I'm up for a go if you are still playing around 10.30-11ish. GT=LarryBong
  • MrE26 5 Feb 2010 09:12:13 1,918 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, feel free to add me for a few games as well, my GT is MrE26.
  • S.J.Rogers 5 Feb 2010 09:14:01 3,557 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love just hanging from the ceiling as the Alien and when a Marine wanders past, using the Hiss button to make him panic. \o/
  • Whizzo 5 Feb 2010 09:26:20 43,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I finally got in a round on PC last night and had a go as a xeno, seemed to play reasonably well and it turned into an aliens vs marines match without anyone actually saying it. I'll give it a few more plays over the weekend.

The alien view is a bit too normal though, I rather liked the fish eye lens and different colouration of the first game.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Machetazo 5 Feb 2010 10:32:30 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    A demo is there to "try" a game, whether that demo makes you want the game is down to you liking the game......
    But, is it not the intent of the people releasing the demo, that players will want to buy the full game afterwards? That it will inspire a future purchase. They knew the public would have been playing the demo, therefore it should give an impression of the game at its best, imo. If they get burned by handing out substandard, iffy cuts, then more fool them.

In an effort to at least be slightly informed for the thread, I watched several videos of the demo being played. I thought what I saw was largely dull, flat and ultimately, bland.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 10:36:04
    I question the sense in the demo. I mean, I like it a lot for what it gets right, but I can understand some of the criticisms at least. DM is not how this game will be experienced for most, for one thing, and to release a DX9c demo is frankly lunacy. Does make me wonder how old it is.
  • ducksmuggler 5 Feb 2010 10:37:44 12 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok .. It's not the old pc avp2 but having never played it I don't care
    I had a go last night with a bunch if mates on line and it was a blast on xbox live a much needed break from mw2.

I thought the alien was awsome fun ya just need to slow down and prey on the marines
    But I really couldn't get my head round the preadator :-( my mates were getting 20 kills with him but I'd be lucky to get one without getting mullered
  • MrE26 5 Feb 2010 10:49:00 1,918 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm doing a lot better with the marine than anything else. Panicky as fuck when you know you're being watched & have no idea where from though!
  • Paperghost 5 Feb 2010 10:49:53 1,702 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    can anyone explain what the L1 trigger vision change thing does? clicking it on and off doesn't seem to make any visible difference i can see, does it change my attack stance or something? (this is for the alien).
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 11:00:14
    Paperghost wrote:
    can anyone explain what the L1 trigger vision change thing does? clicking it on and off doesn't seem to make any visible difference i can see, does it change my attack stance or something? (this is for the alien).

Was wondering the same thing...

Anyone ?
  • Derblington 5 Feb 2010 11:03:38 21,261 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Come on the mako is a different style of gameplay from the onfoot sections, Avp is 100% FPS shoot/bite/scratch.shoot/bite/scratch. Of course there are singleplayer modes and various MP modes but it's STILL shoot/bite/scratch.

You seem to be confused between the mechanics of a game and the actual gameplay that they create. Every mode in AvP will share the same mechanics, but the gameplay will differ, greatly, between the SP, the deathmatch and the co-op MP modes.

In short, you're wrong.
  • the_dudefather 5 Feb 2010 11:12:49 9,177 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    klem578 wrote:
    Paperghost wrote:

Was wondering the same thing...

Anyone ?

not sure about buttons, but on the pc you hold shift to go into a mode were you can target players to ponce at them as the alien

for the predator you use this to jump futher distances/ up onto platforms

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Derblington 5 Feb 2010 11:14:09 21,261 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    George Roper wrote:
    No fanboy nonsense, just pure fact. AVP2 knocks this game into a cocked hat, for all the right reasons. AVP2 had a much better representation of the Aliens and Predators than this does, had more authentic 'stuff' for each race than this does and gave the players a more believable environment by allowing them to hide and lower their profile by crouching behind cover.

You know people keep latching onto that stuff, that having no crouch is irrelevant, but if you watch Aliens, the raw material that this is supposedly based off, the biggest shootout between the Marines and Aliens sees the Marines taking positions behind each other to get firing lines in place. Just trying to recreate that here, you'd be shooting the Marines in front of you in the back. Licenses are all about recreating the original material atmosphere, thats why this ability was in AVP and AVP2.

Needless dumbing down of the game and to flip this right back at you, explain to me why this was left out. What reason can you possibly think of that in a FPS, players shouldn't be able to crouch. In fact, name me one successful FPS out there where there isn't a crouch option....

My reasoning has nothing to do with PC elitism. I enjoyed Halo and Killzone, and the rest just as much as any other PC FPS. It's just that in this case, Rebellion had a fucking amazing heritage to live up to and they fucked it[/B] by concentrating on consoles.

If this really isn't "fanboy nonsense", please stop talking about everything you dislike about the game as a result of it being released on console. It's not. It's because they fucked up in dev. I (and you, I imagine) could write out a control scheme for each race that would include every action, weapon and gadget they use, and still have a crouch button on the pad. For all the mongs exclaiming that it's not needed, it's not about hiding, it's about defending your position in modes such as Infestation, where it would be really nice. Y'know, the team-based tactical modes, rather than the run'n'gun bullshit in the demo.

AvP2, which everybody seems (rightly) to agree is the best in the series, was made by a different studio. Rebellion seem to have ignored that game, and every other modern fps of the last 11 years, while making this new one.

for the 3 people in here that think the demo is good - awesome, gratz boys. You cannot ignore the fact that even in this thread alone (which itself is representative of a larger demographic) the majority of gamers are being instantly turned off by this mess.
  • Page

of 64 First / Last