New Alien Vs Predator game from Rebellion for PS3/360/PC Page 21

  • Page

    of 64 First / Last

  • Lukey__b 4 Feb 2010 22:55:06 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not overly impressed with the game.

    On xbox it took me about 7 attempts to joing a game initially. The environment is alright... the controls arent. Playing as an Alien I'm all over the place... even though I'm telling it not to transition, i dont know if I need to keep the button down or do I just click it or what?

    As the Alien and Predator melee is everywhere, i'll hit someone for them to suddenly warp through me and now be behind me.

    This stuff I could live with if I wasnt playing Deathmatch. Every game I have played, a player as the Predator always won.

    I can't see an updated demo with a different game mode appearing on 360, so this is either a really cheap buy or I rent/borrow it to see the rest of the game... otherwise, no deal.

    'Sup, what's guanine?

  • George-Roper 4 Feb 2010 23:01:36 704 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Hunam wrote:
    What's the point of a demo? To convince people the game is worth buying. Putting a fucking shit experience in the demo where I can't even fucking play it is not a good idea. It is a bad idea.

    Back in the shareware days they used to give the first episode away for free to entice people into buying the full product, they always put great work into that first chapter so people would see how great the game was and buy it. I simply cannot fathom why you think it's unreasonable for me to expect a server browser in the demo, it's not even fucking content! It's functionality to help you play the game. Why they don't have it in the demo is a mystery because without it the game is shit. If I hadn't gone and read the steam forum I would never have even known there was going to be a server browser and I would have just assumed that the multiplayer was going to be broken if I had bought the game.

    And no, I don't like the game mode because it's a defacto game mode that most people on the full release wont want to play. It doesn't give me any indication of how these new and unique gameplay modes work in the full game. Why bother if your only going to let people see the worst part of your game rather than the stuff that's unique.

    All I'm asking for is a taste of the game, not some demo that is a distant cousin to the boxed product. Clearly you can see I'm fairly pissed off about this and is that what a demo should do? Annoy me to the point where I now no longer want to buy the game?

    Well a demo isn't really there to make you want the game, it's there for you to try it and see if you like it. You (and many others) don't like it, I (again, and many others) do. The demo has shown us the gameplay on offer, again exactly what a demo should do.

    How much do you think the other modes will change the actual gameplay involved in the game anyway? You are still gonna shoot/bite/slash everyone in a FPS, just in different play modes. The GAMEPLAY will be the same. I've said it a few times today, they are not letting people see the worst part of their game, they are letting you run around with all 3 species in a free for all to get a taste

    Yes the touble with getting a game is a BIG embarrassment for Sega and Rebellion, but it's not the end of the world. The full game is 2 weeks away and like I said games can launch and are broken so we all know these things do happen (I'm sure someone said the other day Gears 2 is STILL borked). Sure if we are paying money then yes it's a disgrace, but on day one of a demo it is merely an embarring glitch, you've not paid anything, you've not lost anything get over it, as I said I bought games that were broke, personally I would be thankful they can iron out these problems now before you buy the game rather than winge you can't play the demo.

    I do hear you on shareware, but games like Doom and Wolf 3D were different games to todays games, and I remember many people happy with just the shareware versions so it wasn't exactly as complete success. Besides something like AvP is about shocks and scares, do you REALLY want the SP ruined by play the opening levels?


    TBH Human I get impression you don't like AvP anyway so anything I say will not matter.

    I don't get the impression he doesn't like AvP at all. I get the distinct impression that he's pissed off with the frankly minimal content of a MP demo that rarely lets the player, you know, multiplay.

    It's piss-fucking-poor, is what it is.
  • Lukey__b 4 Feb 2010 23:04:28 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Like I said it's there for you to try, if you don't like it fair enough, but trying to say they didn't give us a decent demo is utter crap.....well apart from the obvious troubles :)

    How is it utter crap?

    If they had released a demo for Mass Effect where they just let you go around a planet in the Mako, would that have been a good demo? No, because they included the bit most people thought was the weakest.

    After 2 games of this I said to my mates "I wish it was another game mode other than Deathmatch".

    Yes I can see how all 3 control, not extremely well. But how does this translate in terms of tactics/gameplay in a proper game? Playing it as deathmatch is like any game in deathmatch... run around or camp in one spot, thats the extent of it.

    'Sup, what's guanine?

  • silentbob 4 Feb 2010 23:10:51 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Well a demo isn't really there to make you want the game ...
    Statement guarantees that the rest of post is drivel.

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • Machetazo 4 Feb 2010 23:17:56 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Not really sure what your point is.
    I read your comment, and Hunam's opinion. and I believed there was merit in both of your views about what a demo's purpose was. But, I felt there was a key point you had overlooked, in particular. You seemed to be posting as if you believed this was some kind of internal beta, where they can try stuff and tweak and balance, and that, in preparation to bring the game to the public.
    Maybe the release now, patch later culture is so far heavier ingrained on the PC side? They won't even get that luxury, on the consoles. They can't just patch that content, easily. That's now a taster product that's out there. People will determine whether to buy or not, largely based on that. They'll assume that Rebellion is bringing its A Game.

    Interesting that Gearskin offered reasoning in that way for R's approach, because, if I were to play AVP PC, I would expect a higher quality performance on a sufficiently capable machine over the console versions, and impressions tell that they haven't even got that right.
  • George-Roper 4 Feb 2010 23:18:49 704 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lukey__b wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    Like I said it's there for you to try, if you don't like it fair enough, but trying to say they didn't give us a decent demo is utter crap.....well apart from the obvious troubles :)

    How is it utter crap?

    If they had released a demo for Mass Effect where they just let you go around a planet in the Mako, would that have been a good demo? No, because they included the bit most people thought was the weakest.

    After 2 games of this I said to my mates "I wish it was another game mode other than Deathmatch".

    Yes I can see how all 3 control, not extremely well. But how does this translate in terms of tactics/gameplay in a proper game? Playing it as deathmatch is like any game in deathmatch... run around or camp in one spot, thats the extent of it.


    Obvious truth.

    I think it's pretty realistic to expect Sega/Rebellion to charge for MP maps/modes and thats why you simply won't get them in a demo.

    We've been fed the best that they can get away with, financially. They don't seem to realize that hobbling the demo to one MP mode, which in many way misses the whole point of what AVP is about, has entirely the possibility of turning people off.

    Turns out, it's not the MP that ended up resulting in my canceled pre-order, it was almost every other decision that was made and implemented into the game, over AVP2.

    In fact, fuck it. If we've managed to get AVP MP on Steam, AVP2 cant be far off.
  • wellsie 4 Feb 2010 23:35:22 87 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    well after playing the pc demo, order cancelled. Maybe ill pick it up after release, if the reviews are ok
  • lavalant 4 Feb 2010 23:38:40 1,328 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Given it a second chance, and it's still shite.

    Doom 3 on the old xbox 1 looked better than this (granted that's a great looking game) but that game also had 'campaign co-op' and still looked stunning in multiplayer.

    Thankfully Gearbox are developing Alien: Colonial Marines.
  • TheLittlestHobo 4 Feb 2010 23:40:32 92 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm with the naysayers. This feels like it should be on XBLA/PSN. Graphics are poor, and is it just my setup or is the sound mix terrible? Seems like they spent too much time animating the annoyingly long grab animations to get their X certificate. Speaking of which, it would have been fun to have options once you grab someone e.g throw or kill. Nothing more annoying than being helpless for 10 secs; though they do create hilarious shopping-queues-of-death-type situations.

    Looking at Rebellion's recent track history and this game example, I will be truly surprised if the rest of the game is anything else but mediocre. I'll be happy to be proved wrong but for now this is one game off my hit list. Shame.
  • LetsGo 4 Feb 2010 23:53:29 5,242 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wasted 30mins trying to get a game, got in one and found out it was horrid.

    I want them 30mins back.

    Shame, such a shame.
  • George-Roper 4 Feb 2010 23:59:55 704 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheLittlestHobo wrote:
    I'm with the naysayers. This feels like it should be on XBLA/PSN. Graphics are poor, and is it just my setup or is the sound mix terrible? Seems like they spent too much time animating the annoyingly long grab animations to get their X certificate. Speaking of which, it would have been fun to have options once you grab someone e.g throw or kill. Nothing more annoying than being helpless for 10 secs; though they do create hilarious shopping-queues-of-death-type situations.

    Looking at Rebellion's recent track history and this game example, I will be truly surprised if the rest of the game is anything else but mediocre. I'll be happy to be proved wrong but for now this is one game off my hit list. Shame.

    This.

    There was something niggling in my head whilst I was playing and its exactly this. All the effort has gone into the kill animations. It's almost like the 'cool idea' was centered on it. They then built the single player assets and fudged them into a multiplayer game, where they clearly do not fit.

    Shopping-queues-of-death sums up the ridiculous look of this, when the game is in flow. Players stood behind other players, waiting for the kill animation to end so theirs can begin.

    It's about as far from the beautiful, fluid, frantic gameplay of AVP2 as they could have managed. Fucking idiots.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:10:26
    lavalant wrote:
    Given it a second chance, and it's still shite.

    Doom 3 on the old xbox 1 looked better than this (granted that's a great looking game) but that game also had 'campaign co-op' and still looked stunning in multiplayer.

    Thankfully Gearbox are developing Alien: Colonial Marines.

    Yes, because the brothers in arms series always featured stellar graphics...

    Do you boys even read what you're writing ?

    Sorry lavalant , please don't take this as a personal insult/attack, it's just that it doesn't really make sense , you know ?

    Also , i can "sympathize" with our PC friends if they say that it runs like a hog even on a high-spec PC (plus the matchmaking) , other than that though...

    Mowgli , for the love of everything that's holy ,we get it , you don't like it , Rebellion/sega fucked up and you won't be buying it , can we now move on please ? :)

    YOU WHINY GITS !!!


    Edit : Really ? It's tits because you can't crouch ? wow lads...
    it's a fecking fast game , crouching (not to mention aiming down the sights that others mentioned) wouldn't do the game any good whatsoever...
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:12:53
    Christ what a load of whiny minging gits. I leave you guys alone for six hours or so and look what happens? I can't trust you. You've broken my trust.

    Sigh.

    I'm not even going to comment on some of the nitpicks and moaning because you're all totally insane.
  • BinaryBob101 5 Feb 2010 00:16:30 23,196 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The menu is one of the weirdest things I've ever encountered. We were all (a group of EGers) pissing ourselves at the fact it seemed to be laughing at us just trying to get a game started on the 360.

    It only started if one of the eight left the lobby, then jumped straight back in just before the match took place.

    Stupid menu is stupid.

    The game seemed okay though if playing as an Alien. Marines are shit.


    Actually, no fuck it. The demo was shit form the awful front end to the deathmatch itself.

    Apart from the sound effects which they nailed. But then, they're just samples, innit.

    www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:19:06
    Thats because you have no skill, butterthumbs.
  • BinaryBob101 5 Feb 2010 00:20:52 23,196 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heh. Probably true, but we all tried.

    Screw you numbnuts. ;)

    www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:22:07
    :p

    Although as an aside if you use your balls to play this game, they do indeed go numb.
  • FWB 5 Feb 2010 00:23:04 44,671 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You've got me thinking.... can I use my nuts to control the pad?
  • BinaryBob101 5 Feb 2010 00:23:48 23,196 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know. The vibration on my pad gave up the ghost long ago.

    I did expect more from the game though. Srsly.

    www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:24:29
    Mine kind of move on their own.

    I don't recommend playing the Predator. Too many buttons.
  • FWB 5 Feb 2010 00:24:51 44,671 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Coop?
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:26:05
    What's Twin Peaks got to do with it?
  • BinaryBob101 5 Feb 2010 00:26:40 23,196 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It should have just been a straight forward Aliens game. Screw Predators anyway.

    www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:33:07
    want some candy?
  • George-Roper 5 Feb 2010 00:37:21 704 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    klem578 wrote:
    lavalant wrote:
    Given it a second chance, and it's still shite.

    Doom 3 on the old xbox 1 looked better than this (granted that's a great looking game) but that game also had 'campaign co-op' and still looked stunning in multiplayer.

    Thankfully Gearbox are developing Alien: Colonial Marines.

    Yes, because the brothers in arms series always featured stellar graphics...

    Do you boys even read what you're writing ?

    Sorry lavalant , please don't take this as a personal insult/attack, it's just that it doesn't really make sense , you know ?

    Also , i can "sympathize" with our PC friends if they say that it runs like a hog even on a high-spec PC (plus the matchmaking) , other than that though...

    Mowgli , for the love of everything that's holy ,we get it , you don't like it , Rebellion/sega fucked up and you won't be buying it , can we now move on please ? :)

    YOU WHINY GITS !!!


    Edit : Really ? It's tits because you can't crouch ? wow lads...
    it's a fecking fast game , crouching (not to mention aiming down the sights that others mentioned) wouldn't do the game any good whatsoever...

    No, its tits because you can't crouch AND there's also a shitload of other problems with it.

    It's lazy, it's dumbed down and its a painful experience from start to end. From the ridiculous menu navigation (try changing keys whilst in a game) right through to the console-kiddie QTE kills.

    This game isn't in the same league as AVP2. Now THAT was a sublime Aliens and Predator experience. Fast, frantic, fluid and solid. Any PC gamer who has played AVP and AVP2, especially in MP, can see this for exactly what it is. A console game that's been hurriedly ported to the PC with none of the attention that went into AVP and AVP2.

    I wanted this game to be fantastic, from the moment it was announced to the later announcement that it would include the Survivor MP mode. What they've delivered is a mediocre far cry from what made AVP and AVP2 shine.

    It's not often that you see such a large disparity between console and PC game pricing, especially on licensed titles. That the PC version of this is half the cost of the console version I think is very, very telling. They must have known what a step down it was from the previous releases and decided a low cost port was the best option.
  • lavalant 5 Feb 2010 00:47:34 1,328 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ^^What is this PC fanboy nonsense, dumbed down for consoles? you do realize there's a massive Quake following on PC? I gave up PC gaming long ago, and I'm glad I did, at least I can play the demo on my xbox without it being a bastard. As for the price, the game will be 10 withint 3 months.

    And Gearbox game brothers in arms was one of the prettiest ww2 games around, last gen of course, this gen was just a high def remake with cover systems but Gearbox have a good rep with me.
  • George-Roper 5 Feb 2010 00:47:44 704 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh and what really made me laugh...in despair...was right in the middle of a game as a Marine, I tried to jump up onto a box and the message 'Press X button to climb up' appeared on the screen.

    'Press X button to climb up' in the middle of a FPS, when youve got an Alien gnawing on your knackers and a Predator scoping you up.

    Fucks sakes....

  • George-Roper 5 Feb 2010 01:01:31 704 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lavalant wrote:
    ^^What is this PC fanboy nonsense, dumbed down for consoles? you do realize there's a massive Quake following on PC? I gave up PC gaming long ago, and I'm glad I did, at least I can play the demo on my xbox without it being a bastard. As for the price, the game will be 10 withint 3 months.

    No fanboy nonsense, just pure fact. AVP2 knocks this game into a cocked hat, for all the right reasons. AVP2 had a much better representation of the Aliens and Predators than this does, had more authentic 'stuff' for each race than this does and gave the players a more believable environment by allowing them to hide and lower their profile by crouching behind cover.

    You know people keep latching onto that stuff, that having no crouch is irrelevant, but if you watch Aliens, the raw material that this is supposedly based off, the biggest shootout between the Marines and Aliens sees the Marines taking positions behind each other to get firing lines in place. Just trying to recreate that here, you'd be shooting the Marines in front of you in the back. Licenses are all about recreating the original material atmosphere, thats why this ability was in AVP and AVP2.

    Needless dumbing down of the game and to flip this right back at you, explain to me why this was left out. What reason can you possibly think of that in a FPS, players shouldn't be able to crouch. In fact, name me one successful FPS out there where there isn't a crouch option....

    My reasoning has nothing to do with PC elitism. I enjoyed Halo and Killzone, and the rest just as much as any other PC FPS. It's just that in this case, Rebellion had a fucking amazing heritage to live up to and they fucked it[/B] by concentrating on consoles.
  • phAge 5 Feb 2010 01:02:58 24,372 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    George Roper wrote:
    Oh and what really made me laugh...in despair...was right in the middle of a game as a Marine, I tried to jump up onto a box and the message 'Press X button to climb up' appeared on the screen.

    'Press X button to climb up' in the middle of a FPS, when youve got an Alien gnawing on your knackers and a Predator scoping you up.

    Fucks sakes....

    You forget that this stuff is all about authenticity. No proper aiming, no crouching, weird movement choices like the one you described, mega-long kill animations.

    They're just keepin' it REAL, man.
  • Triggerhappytel 5 Feb 2010 01:17:02 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, having downloaded this, shall I even bother installing it...?! I didn't think much of it at the EG Expo, and never expected the game to be much cop anyway (I've played Shellshock 2 and Rogue Trooper!), but can't really fathom why so many people seem to be genuinely looking forward to this.
  • Page

    of 64 First / Last

Log in or register to reply