New Alien Vs Predator game from Rebellion for PS3/360/PC Page 20

  • Page

    of 64 First / Last

  • RedSparrows 4 Feb 2010 20:28:46 23,327 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    want demo need judge for self
  • Deleted user 4 February 2010 20:31:17
    Derblington wrote:
    MrE26 wrote:
    PS3 version is struggling to find any games as well, looks like the matchmaking on this is totally fucked.
    Klem just told you it was great. Shut the fuck up.


    WHY YOU !

    No problems whatsoever on the X360 , going to download the PS3 demo and see if it's indeed fucked...

    Dat cool whigga ? :)
  • MrE26 4 Feb 2010 20:39:21 1,960 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Having a lot of fun on the 360 demo, the melee controls are taking some getting used but it seems to be starting to click.
  • Hunam 4 Feb 2010 20:42:14 20,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have to say, this demo is fucking atrocious, as in, it was a poor choice of demo content and a waste of a demo in all. No one knows the R/P/S for the species yet and folks are just running around jumping right at each other and it's basically just people standing in a line waiting to die. The aliens are getting slaughtered because they don't know how the play them, as for the predators. What's worse is the only mode is shitty bog standard death match. Probably the least interesting mode you could have in an AvP game.

    The demo should have been a tutorial for each race and a team death match variant. Why give us the shit stuff for the demo? It's really put me off the game.
  • Hunam 4 Feb 2010 20:43:38 20,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Hunam wrote:
    Rebellion said there is an update coming to fix the PC demo soon, and the full game has proper browsers and dedicated servers.

    Why all that stuff isn't in the demo I have no idea.

    Er....maybe because...er...it's a demo? ;)

    Kinda ties into what I just posted, basically, why make the demo shit when it's just going to (and has) put me off the full game.
  • makeamazing 4 Feb 2010 20:46:57 425 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well i cant even find a game on the PS3 version, so i cant even judge it on MP.

    Jason
  • ronuds 4 Feb 2010 20:54:30 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can I just BE the Predator and not have to fool around with any other part of the game?

    I just want to be the Predator. :(
  • bad09 4 Feb 2010 20:58:19 6,008 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    Hunam wrote:
    Rebellion said there is an update coming to fix the PC demo soon, and the full game has proper browsers and dedicated servers.

    Why all that stuff isn't in the demo I have no idea.

    Er....maybe because...er...it's a demo? ;)

    Kinda ties into what I just posted, basically, why make the demo shit when it's just going to (and has) put me off the full game.

    TBH I can't see why people have a problem with this demo. It's a small taster (a "demo" if you will) of the gameplay in the game. Job done as far as I can see you may not like the mode they gave us (I don't either really but it's given a good indication of how the gameplay works) but it's not a shit demo - you just don't like the game/mode.

    It seems to me many want a great deal of the game for free. I mean look at your posts, tutorials, why aren't the browsers and dedicated servers in? It's a FREE demo!

    It is fustrating the matchmaking is borked for now though, I'm desperate for a fix and sadly silver now on the old Live so can't nab the working 360 one off my girlfriends box, still it's a free demo and they are gonna fix it (I hope!) so can't grumble.
  • George-Roper 4 Feb 2010 21:03:07 705 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jesus H Christ, the match-making SHIT is really ruining this.

    Forget the fact that it runs like a console port on my frankly top-range gaming PC, I can handle that if the gameplay is good but NOT being able to start a FUCKING GAME is completely retarded in a DEMO...

    FOR FUCKS SAKES....
  • Gearskin 4 Feb 2010 21:03:19 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was perhaps a bad move not to include some kind of training video, but I think gamers in general are savvy enough to figure this game out for themselves. It does show you the control setup for your chosen species before the match starts.

    Read it. Remember it. Use it.

    Done.
  • Whizzo 4 Feb 2010 21:04:17 43,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Currently using the Steam browser which has a tendency to double post when I use it on EG, the reason why will become obvious in the next statement.

    What's the fucking point in a demo that you can't play because it doesn't seem to either have any players or the matchmaking is completely broken?

    Oh and no DX11 features in a game that's supposed to be a flagship title for the new stuff? Weak.

    Not that it matters I suppose, you can't really tesellate a lobby menu when nothing is happening.

    edit: woot just the one post! Why no AA either? Just as well the 2000AD side of things at Rebellion is good otherwise I'd question the point in its continuing existence.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • bad09 4 Feb 2010 21:06:30 6,008 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:....It does show you the control setup for your chosen species before the match starts.

    Read it. Remember it. Use it.

    Done.

    This.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2010 21:40:07
    Yeah, demo seems broken.

    '0 players in game!'
    '1 player in game!'
    'searching for game'
    '0 players in game!'


    Looks like we might have to get a group of eight invited into one session to even get connected.
  • Darren 4 Feb 2010 21:41:54 8,951 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ha ha. Steam updated the AvP demo tonight, apparently a fix for the borked up match-making, but when I tried to join a game instead of it taking 10 minutes, it took 25!!! Well done, Rebellion for making it worst!

    PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

  • Whizzo 4 Feb 2010 21:44:33 43,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got 7 people in a lobby once and the voice chatter was mostly "why doesn't it just launch anyway?" and then the game was searching again.

    I have now given up and I'm seriously considering cancelling my rather cheap PC pre-order as I've got fuck all confidence in this title now.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • Darren 4 Feb 2010 21:45:00 8,951 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    Yeah, demo seems broken.

    '0 players in game!'
    '1 player in game!'
    'searching for game'
    '0 players in game!'

    Looks like we might have to get a group of eight invited into one session to even get connected.

    That's exactly what I was gettting earlier even post-update. I'm on a 24 Mbps connection too.

    At one point I saw '3 player(s) in game, Waiting for another 5 player(s)' but then it reset and started searching for another game. 20 odd minutes later I actually matched to join a game. I know this is a demo and not the final product but if SEGA/Rebellion are using this to sell the game then it's utter fail so far.

    PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

  • Darren 4 Feb 2010 21:46:23 8,951 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    P.S. Still holding onto the hope that the single player will be a bit special... /crosses fingers

    PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

  • Deleted user 4 February 2010 21:47:45
    I'm not that interested in multiplayer anyway. Just wanted to leap about as the predator to see how it feels.
  • Hunam 4 Feb 2010 21:48:23 20,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Hunam wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    Hunam wrote:
    Rebellion said there is an update coming to fix the PC demo soon, and the full game has proper browsers and dedicated servers.

    Why all that stuff isn't in the demo I have no idea.

    Er....maybe because...er...it's a demo? ;)

    Kinda ties into what I just posted, basically, why make the demo shit when it's just going to (and has) put me off the full game.

    TBH I can't see why people have a problem with this demo. It's a small taster (a "demo" if you will) of the gameplay in the game. Job done as far as I can see you may not like the mode they gave us (I don't either really but it's given a good indication of how the gameplay works) but it's not a shit demo - you just don't like the game/mode.

    It seems to me many want a great deal of the game for free. I mean look at your posts, tutorials, why aren't the browsers and dedicated servers in? It's a FREE demo!

    It is fustrating the matchmaking is borked for now though, I'm desperate for a fix and sadly silver now on the old Live so can't nab the working 360 one off my girlfriends box, still it's a free demo and they are gonna fix it (I hope!) so can't grumble.

    What's the point of a demo? To convince people the game is worth buying. Putting a fucking shit experience in the demo where I can't even fucking play it is not a good idea. It is a bad idea.

    Back in the shareware days they used to give the first episode away for free to entice people into buying the full product, they always put great work into that first chapter so people would see how great the game was and buy it. I simply cannot fathom why you think it's unreasonable for me to expect a server browser in the demo, it's not even fucking content! It's functionality to help you play the game. Why they don't have it in the demo is a mystery because without it the game is shit. If I hadn't gone and read the steam forum I would never have even known there was going to be a server browser and I would have just assumed that the multiplayer was going to be broken if I had bought the game.

    And no, I don't like the game mode because it's a defacto game mode that most people on the full release wont want to play. It doesn't give me any indication of how these new and unique gameplay modes work in the full game. Why bother if your only going to let people see the worst part of your game rather than the stuff that's unique.

    All I'm asking for is a taste of the game, not some demo that is a distant cousin to the boxed product. Clearly you can see I'm fairly pissed off about this and is that what a demo should do? Annoy me to the point where I now no longer want to buy the game?

    Hell, even pop up tips during gameplay to give you and idea how to play your chosen character would be welcome.
  • Darren 4 Feb 2010 21:57:06 8,951 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Hunam +1

    I totally agree that people who defend demos by claiming it isn't the full game are totally missing the point of why they exist in the first place which is essentially as an advertising tool to let people try it before hopefully deciding to buy the full game. If the demo doesn't work properly or it leaves a sour taste then people are going to be put off the full game; it's human nature.

    IMO, SEGA/Rebellion would have done less damage by releasing a small sample of the single player campaign first rather than a multiplayer demo that is absolutely useless unless you can connect to a game.

    PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

  • Machetazo 4 Feb 2010 21:59:14 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    TBH I can't see why people have a problem with this demo.
    The point Hunam made, actually only becomes a point of contention, once you're able to play the thing...Personally, I do question the wisdom of leading the outreach with multiplayer, setting it as your focus, thereby welcoming concerns that the "campaign" is merely a short-lived training ground, for what you're playing atm. Or, trying to.

    There's no excuse for Sega/Rebellion not having put their best foot forward, when it comes to presenting a PUBLIC demo. People are going to judge it from that standpoint, just like any other DEMO.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2010 22:10:59
    After playing it the MP is very much a secondary concern. In the same way that the multiplayer in Fear 2, Far Cry 2 and Uncharted is fine. But there is no reason why I would choose to play it with the likes of Halo/MW2/BFBC2 about. So unless the single player is good this will not be considered.
  • Gearskin 4 Feb 2010 22:11:08 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think may Darren and Hunam are missing the point in as much that Rebellion KNOWS the multiplayer is where AvP fans will gravitate. Especially on PC.

    It's the reason Rebellion announced they would be providing dedicated servers etc.

    When Sierra shut down the AvP 2 servers you know what happened? The fans modified the game to run their own. People still play that game online in droves.

    When AvP was released onto STEAM a few weeks back... what was it missing? Multiplayer. What did they promise from day one? That multiplayer would be patched in.

    And what do you know, people are playing AvP on STEAM in droves now too.

    This demo exists because it's what the audience wants.
  • bad09 4 Feb 2010 22:17:25 6,008 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    What's the point of a demo? To convince people the game is worth buying. Putting a fucking shit experience in the demo where I can't even fucking play it is not a good idea. It is a bad idea.

    Back in the shareware days they used to give the first episode away for free to entice people into buying the full product, they always put great work into that first chapter so people would see how great the game was and buy it. I simply cannot fathom why you think it's unreasonable for me to expect a server browser in the demo, it's not even fucking content! It's functionality to help you play the game. Why they don't have it in the demo is a mystery because without it the game is shit. If I hadn't gone and read the steam forum I would never have even known there was going to be a server browser and I would have just assumed that the multiplayer was going to be broken if I had bought the game.

    And no, I don't like the game mode because it's a defacto game mode that most people on the full release wont want to play. It doesn't give me any indication of how these new and unique gameplay modes work in the full game. Why bother if your only going to let people see the worst part of your game rather than the stuff that's unique.

    All I'm asking for is a taste of the game, not some demo that is a distant cousin to the boxed product. Clearly you can see I'm fairly pissed off about this and is that what a demo should do? Annoy me to the point where I now no longer want to buy the game?

    Well a demo isn't really there to make you want the game, it's there for you to try it and see if you like it. You (and many others) don't like it, I (again, and many others) do. The demo has shown us the gameplay on offer, again exactly what a demo should do.

    How much do you think the other modes will change the actual gameplay involved in the game anyway? You are still gonna shoot/bite/slash everyone in a FPS, just in different play modes. The GAMEPLAY will be the same. I've said it a few times today, they are not letting people see the worst part of their game, they are letting you run around with all 3 species in a free for all to get a taste

    Yes the touble with getting a game is a BIG embarrassment for Sega and Rebellion, but it's not the end of the world. The full game is 2 weeks away and like I said games can launch and are broken so we all know these things do happen (I'm sure someone said the other day Gears 2 is STILL borked). Sure if we are paying money then yes it's a disgrace, but on day one of a demo it is merely an embarring glitch, you've not paid anything, you've not lost anything get over it, as I said I bought games that were broke, personally I would be thankful they can iron out these problems now before you buy the game rather than winge you can't play the demo.

    I do hear you on shareware, but games like Doom and Wolf 3D were different games to todays games, and I remember many people happy with just the shareware versions so it wasn't exactly as complete success. Besides something like AvP is about shocks and scares, do you REALLY want the SP ruined by play the opening levels?


    TBH Human I get impression you don't like AvP anyway so anything I say will not matter.
  • George-Roper 4 Feb 2010 22:33:29 705 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, after finally managing to get a game going...what a let down...

    First off, it's painfully and obviously clear this is a console port. Lack of crouch? What the fuck is this, a world where everyone has a fused spine? Some of my fondest memories of AVP2 MP are a group of us Marines in a front-row crouch, rear-row stood formation, in a dead-end corridor, battling against the Aliens players in Survivor mode. Gone are those times, it seems. We're in Xboxstation world now, where there simply weren't enough buttons on the controller...

    Performance is also way off. I have a good gaming setup and this has a performance level lower than i'd expect for an enclosed corridor shooter AND suffers from some odd hitching when playing as the Marine and Alien...but not as the Predator...

    Then we have the controls. I seem to have lost all ability to control the Alien in a fluid and smooth manner. In AVP2 I was a fucking silky shadow, leaping onto walls and slithering around. Here im like some Alien retard with sticky claws who lacks even a basic ability to 'leap' at anyone, instead limply falling off walls.

    Insta-kill, semi-quick time events? GTFO....

    Then theres the removal and switching of race abilities. Marines no longer get Infrared. Aliens no longer have to switch to Hunt-mode to see cloaked Predators. Predators 'lock on' to targets, so they can leap and stab with a single click. Aliens, however, seem to have LOST the ability to leap at a target over great distances...dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumbed down shit.

    Rebellion have fucked this right up. I'm literally hovering over the 'cancel preorder' button, even though its only 18 quid. Intensely disappointed and the matchmaking shit is the shitty icing on a shitty, shitty cake.
  • Machetazo 4 Feb 2010 22:37:43 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Well a demo isn't really there to make you want the game, it's there for you to try it and see if you like it. You (and many others) don't like it, I (again, and many others) do. The demo has shown us the gameplay on offer, again exactly what a demo should do.
    The difference is that the game is wild, now. Up until now, the media have had access, they've written their articles from selected bits of gameplay, retold their impressions of what they found from what they've been granted access to try. Now, the game is being showcased, now the control is dropped by the dev team, and they and the publisher get to see how much of a runner junior is.
    But I don't think it is anything other than ridiculously naive to hold as a defense, that the developers are unaware, or unprepared, for the public or likelihood that impression of the demo will likely colour their interest and faith in the full game. If the game's not ready, from again selected content, then it shouldn't be presented.
  • 1Dgaf 4 Feb 2010 22:41:03 3,886 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lack of crouch is nothing to do with it being a console port. There are spare buttons / stick depressions available for the marine on the 360 control scheme -- they just chose not to put crouch in.

    www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

    www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

  • the_dudefather 4 Feb 2010 22:45:35 9,328 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember when my granddad used to show me how to crouch in AVP multiplayer games while eating werthers originals

    (ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

  • George-Roper 4 Feb 2010 22:47:37 705 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Lack of crouch is nothing to do with it being a console port. There are spare buttons / stick depressions available for the marine on the 360 control scheme -- they just chose not to put crouch in.

    I guarantee that because some of races already have too much press-hold-target-press controls, they couldn't get this in as a standard for them all. So they left the fucker out.

    If they really did choose to leave out such a basic, fundamental action for no particular reason, that just tells me they're a bunch of clueless fuckwits anyway....
  • bad09 4 Feb 2010 22:54:19 6,008 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    Well a demo isn't really there to make you want the game, it's there for you to try it and see if you like it. You (and many others) don't like it, I (again, and many others) do. The demo has shown us the gameplay on offer, again exactly what a demo should do.
    The difference is that the game is wild, now. Up until now, the media have had access, they've written their articles from selected bits of gameplay, retold their impressions of what they found from what they've been granted access to try. Now, the game is being showcased, now the control is dropped by the dev team, and they and the publisher get to see how much of a runner junior is.
    But I don't think it is anything other than ridiculously naive to hold as a defense, that the developers are unaware, or unprepared, for the public or likelihood that impression of the demo will likely colour their interest and faith in the full game. If the game's not ready, from again selected content, then it shouldn't be presented.

    Not really sure what your point is. The game is ready (well apart from the matchmaking!), they gave a demo for us to play around with all three species (when they fix it!). Thanks to that I've seen how you play a alien, a marine and a predator. Like I said it's there for you to try, if you don't like it fair enough, but trying to say they didn't give us a decent demo is utter crap.....well apart from the obvious troubles :)

    Anyway I'm getting hooked in again and neglecting the Mrs, I'm out before I get a slap (although luckily I can crouch to avoid it!) Enjoy your evening peeps!
  • Page

    of 64 First / Last

Log in or register to reply