New Alien Vs Predator game from Rebellion for PS3/360/PC Page 61

  • Page

    of 64 First / Last

  • Scurrminator 25 Feb 2010 09:25:37 8,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    non stackable difficulty achievements...really?
    Maybe i'm mistaken actually.

    You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

  • Paperghost 25 Feb 2010 10:11:04 1,702 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    haven't touched multiplayer yet (with good reason from the sound of it) but i have to confess to enjoying the single player game. not massively keen on the predator levels, but the alien one is more interesting than i thought it would be and they do get bonus points for the marine section - i had no idea there'd be bits where you fight alongside other marines, even if only briefly. makes it feel a lot more authentic imho.
  • Scurrminator 25 Feb 2010 12:11:50 8,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    unlock the xp achievements and all mp skins in single player glitch

    You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

  • bad09 25 Feb 2010 12:39:58 5,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished the Marine and alien campaigns on hard, great fun. Even though I've yet to finish it I do think Predator is the weakest campaign but still good fun, if a little clunky. I have no idea how I will complete nightmare mode in this game!

    Now I've pretty much finished the SP I don't really see the complaints of "recycled" levels, it's a story seen from 3 sides and you play out those 3 sides, of course you will see the same levels.

    Actually tried some MP modes other than DM last night (for some reason I'm loving the mad chaos of DM and haven't moved off it), Infestation is great! Some of the maps are really cool to (the one based on the shifting temple of the movie is really fun!).

    Needs more maps Rebellion, you really were tight on the maps, make sure the DLC (ARGH!) is worth it for once.
  • Lotos8ter 25 Feb 2010 12:49:24 2,359 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've started off with the Predator missions on SP, so if thats the low point, I've got some good stuff to come. Really enjoying it, fo' sho'

    Fiat Lux

  • Paperghost 25 Feb 2010 13:45:59 1,702 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    huh.

    i wasn't reallly missing a crouch button, until having to fight HORRIBLY POSITIONED CYBORGS WITH INSTAKILL GUNS HIDDEN BEHIND COVER.

    who came up with that bright idea?
  • Deleted user 25 February 2010 14:09:04
    Beat this game a few days ago. It's completely average and even boring. Shooting Xenos is the best thing about it, but that gets old really quick when all of the enviroments are dull as dishwater. Valve, Infinity Ward and Bungie know how to make game spaces fun to traverse, but it is obvious to me that Rebellion hasn't got a friggin' clue.

    The most frustrating thing about the game is the fact that they got it so wrong - I mean... this is the Aliens and Predator franchises Rebellion! It should've been great, you bunch of useless c*nts!
  • Deleted user 25 February 2010 14:29:32
    Ouch, still not sure what to make of these mixed opinions, how are people finding it fares against the 1999 Rebellion AVP game in terms of level design, set pieces, MP and so forth.

    Loved that game and thought it was really terrifying and well designed.
  • BOBBYLUPO 25 Feb 2010 14:33:13 96 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Paperghost Exactly! I thought it was a design decision until that point, then realised it's probably a combination of laziness and ineptitude.

    Also they need to get the MP patched soon because 4 player games of infestation get old quickly.

    PSN: BOBBYLUPO
    www.idbuythatforadollar.co.uk

  • cianchristopher 25 Feb 2010 14:39:48 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They're a SHIT studio, plain and simple.

    It's almost as if there's no place for them in this modern world. Begone, Rebellion!
  • Scurrminator 25 Feb 2010 14:45:11 8,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BOBBYLUPO wrote:
    @Paperghost Exactly! I thought it was a design decision until that point, then realised it's probably a combination of laziness and ineptitude.

    Also they need to get the MP patched soon because 4 player games of infestation get old quickly.

    I've found out that it wasn't a design decision lol

    You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

  • buggrit 25 Feb 2010 14:51:38 5,179 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /enjoyed Rogue Trooper
    /enjoyed AVP
    /shakes head
  • BOBBYLUPO 25 Feb 2010 14:55:57 96 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @buggrit I enjoyed it too, but if you think it's without flaws then you must be blind or insane.

    If it's the latter then please don't take offence.

    PSN: BOBBYLUPO
    www.idbuythatforadollar.co.uk

  • drumbaby 25 Feb 2010 15:10:57 2,688 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just killed the Praetorian on Marine level. I've enjoyed it so far.

    I find controls are what lets it down though. I'll never understand lack of crouch (and this could have doubled up as Alien wall walk as per old game), weapon changing is fiddly using D pad, and having to hold buttons down for a set period to use/ swap stuff is a fucking pain in the butt. Insta-use and fully configurable controls would improve this game sooooo much.

    But it's scary, and fun, and they've totally nailed the atmosphere that AvsP 2 was so lacking in. I'm really enjoying the Marine campaign...totally absorbing.
  • bad09 25 Feb 2010 15:27:07 5,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    They're a SHIT studio, plain and simple.

    It's almost as if there's no place for them in this modern world. Begone, Rebellion!

    Well if you say that's the case it must be true I suppose, guess I am really silly to enjoy AvP.......


    / goes back to REALLY enjoying this SHIT studio's SHIT game.........
  • buggrit 25 Feb 2010 15:52:39 5,179 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BOBBYLUPO wrote:
    @buggrit I enjoyed it too, but if you think it's without flaws then you must be blind or insane.

    If it's the latter then please don't take offence.
    Never claimed it didn't have failings. I DO think it overcomes them for the most part though - overall a good game, I reckon.
  • cianchristopher 25 Feb 2010 16:05:38 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    cianchristopher wrote:
    They're a SHIT studio, plain and simple.

    It's almost as if there's no place for them in this modern world. Begone, Rebellion!

    Well if you say that's the case it must be true I suppose, guess I am really silly to enjoy AvP.......


    / goes back to REALLY enjoying this SHIT studio's SHIT game.........

    It's not that, man. Obviously some people (such as yourself) are gonna enjoy it. The same is true for all games. But, my point is - this is a studio that has consistently released poor-to-average-quality games.

    This game is average at best.
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/aliensvspredator

    Metacritic isn't perfect, but c'mon. This is hardly a classic, now is it? And Rebellion's CEO was on record talking about the "critical acclaim" the game has received. These are the highest reviews they've gotten in years. Decades, even!

    And, it's worth nothing that this wouldn't even be close to an average of 65 if it weren't for the license. It'd down in Shellshock 2 territory (42 or something)...

    In other words, "shit".

    EDIT: But, of course - let's not get bogged down with metacritic averages. If you like a game, then it's good. It's that simple. So, Rebellion can stick around for as long as they like... :)
  • Khanivor 25 Feb 2010 17:00:44 40,766 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I played a wee bit of this the other day.

    Um, it looks really nice. The Aliens move really well and the lighting is very atmospheric. And whoever was working on the cinematics did really good work.

    You'd think publishing a comic book they'd have been able to find someone who could write to a slightly less piss-poor standard.

    Feels like a very impressive reskinning of an FPS from 1995.
  • Bulbatron 25 Feb 2010 18:25:21 836 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I enjoyed Aliens vs Predator more than BioShock 2.

    Wow - what a mansion!

  • MrE26 25 Feb 2010 18:34:32 1,932 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BOBBYLUPO wrote:
    @Paperghost Exactly! I thought it was a design decision until that point, then realised it's probably a combination of laziness and ineptitude.

    Also they need to get the MP patched soon because 4 player games of infestation get old quickly.
    Same here. I didn't miss crouch at all until those sections. Then, as much as it pains me to admit it, i thought, "Hmmmm, i guess George was right..."
  • LazyNinjaUk 25 Feb 2010 19:36:19 148 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think the game is shit, i really enjoyed the campaigns. The multiplayer can sometimes be ok, but generally the whole MP experience just pisses me off.

    Mainly the predators who are overpowered, as a predator i feel untouchable, going up against a predator you have little hope of winning. The fact a predators light attack can knock an alien on the floor and give the predator enough time to do 4 light attacks is total shit. And the kill trains that occur when people are doing trophy kills is ridiculous.

    I just think the whole multiplayer was frustrating, the survival mode is piss poor as well. 2 levels? Come on!!
  • Dynamize 25 Feb 2010 19:57:03 1,672 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished the singleplayer a couple of days ago. Verdict: alright, not great. Atmospheric.

    Levels don't feel right though, remembering AvP1. There was scope to get lost back then, and that was dangerous and tense because of the randomly spawning enemies. Here there are a few little detours but you learn you're not really in any danger until you get to a trigger.
    AvP1 felt "rough and ready", like anything could happen at any point due to all the ducts and junk; you could be rushed by a bunch of aliens whether you had enough health/ammo or not, fair or unfair. There were no areas you could consider "cleared" to nonchalantly backtrack through.
    This feels too "produced", too tightly designed; these are the fighting places, these are the triggers, these are the entry points for aliens (only one of which will ever actually be used; I wonder if that changes on Nightmare?). Too Call of Duty or something for my taste.

    Still, I enjoyed it enough. Disappointed by various things but the ride was entertaining enough to keep me going.
    Probably needed another year in production. Hope Rebellion take onboard the criticism for DLC/expansion/sequel.
    Oh, and I want the sodding PROPER Predator lock-on and plasmacaster sound effects, not this new rubbish.
  • Paperghost 25 Feb 2010 21:25:23 1,702 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrE26 wrote:
    BOBBYLUPO wrote:
    @Paperghost Exactly! I thought it was a design decision until that point, then realised it's probably a combination of laziness and ineptitude.

    Also they need to get the MP patched soon because 4 player games of infestation get old quickly.
    Same here. I didn't miss crouch at all until those sections. Then, as much as it pains me to admit it, i thought, "Hmmmm, i guess George was right..."

    you know what, it longer bugs me so much that i can't crouch in those sections as much as it does that THE CYBORGS CAN!!!!

    sigh. i've really enjoyed the marine campaign apart from that though.
  • George-Roper 25 Feb 2010 21:36:06 704 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Paperghost wrote:
    MrE26 wrote:
    BOBBYLUPO wrote:
    @Paperghost Exactly! I thought it was a design decision until that point, then realised it's probably a combination of laziness and ineptitude.

    Also they need to get the MP patched soon because 4 player games of infestation get old quickly.
    Same here. I didn't miss crouch at all until those sections. Then, as much as it pains me to admit it, i thought, "Hmmmm, i guess George was right..."

    you know what, it longer bugs me so much that i can't crouch in those sections as much as it does that THE CYBORGS CAN!!!!

    sigh. i've really enjoyed the marine campaign apart from that though.

    Jarring, wasn't it? To see that apparently some design went into crouch and hide against scenery but was for some reason ripped out of the game.

    Thats what makes the lack of those abilities for the player on the final product so apparent. That section, fighting with androids felt 100% like I was missing some vital control options.
  • Paperghost 25 Feb 2010 21:52:10 1,702 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    George Roper wrote:
    Paperghost wrote:
    MrE26 wrote:
    BOBBYLUPO wrote:
    @Paperghost Exactly! I thought it was a design decision until that point, then realised it's probably a combination of laziness and ineptitude.

    Also they need to get the MP patched soon because 4 player games of infestation get old quickly.
    Same here. I didn't miss crouch at all until those sections. Then, as much as it pains me to admit it, i thought, "Hmmmm, i guess George was right..."

    you know what, it longer bugs me so much that i can't crouch in those sections as much as it does that THE CYBORGS CAN!!!!

    sigh. i've really enjoyed the marine campaign apart from that though.

    Jarring, wasn't it? To see that apparently some design went into crouch and hide against scenery but was for some reason ripped out of the game.

    Thats what makes the lack of those abilities for the player on the final product so apparent. That section, fighting with androids felt 100% like I was missing some vital control options.

    yup. i'm also not enjoying what i assume is the final boss on the marine campaign - instakill shotgun from any distance via an indestructible lance henriksen?

    urgh. i can't even get up the stairs without him immediately taking off a huge chunk of energy.
  • George-Roper 25 Feb 2010 21:57:44 704 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Paperghost wrote:
    George Roper wrote:
    Paperghost wrote:
    MrE26 wrote:
    BOBBYLUPO wrote:
    @Paperghost Exactly! I thought it was a design decision until that point, then realised it's probably a combination of laziness and ineptitude.

    Also they need to get the MP patched soon because 4 player games of infestation get old quickly.
    Same here. I didn't miss crouch at all until those sections. Then, as much as it pains me to admit it, i thought, "Hmmmm, i guess George was right..."

    you know what, it longer bugs me so much that i can't crouch in those sections as much as it does that THE CYBORGS CAN!!!!

    sigh. i've really enjoyed the marine campaign apart from that though.

    Jarring, wasn't it? To see that apparently some design went into crouch and hide against scenery but was for some reason ripped out of the game.

    Thats what makes the lack of those abilities for the player on the final product so apparent. That section, fighting with androids felt 100% like I was missing some vital control options.

    yup. i'm also not enjoying what i assume is the final boss on the marine campaign - instakill shotgun from any distance via an indestructible lance henriksen?

    urgh. i can't even get up the stairs without him immediately taking off a huge chunk of energy.

    And that encounter is the very worst bit about the lack of environment interaction, like crouching behind walls.

    Sorry mate, there's not really much more to say. Just keep moving around. :(
  • Dynamize 25 Feb 2010 22:01:17 1,672 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, that bit was balls.
    I did it by pegging it straight up the stairs and giving him both barrels with the shotgun to 'stumble' him. Then just dodging around and around the statue to the left of the stairs. Lame, but it was a shitty bossfight with seemingly no real thought put into it.
  • George-Roper 25 Feb 2010 22:05:08 704 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dynamize wrote:
    Yeah, that bit was balls.
    I did it by pegging it straight up the stairs and giving him both barrels with the shotgun to 'stumble' him. Then just dodging around and around the statue to the left of the stairs. Lame, but it was a shitty bossfight with seemingly no real thought put into it.

    Yeah, that's pretty much how I did it too.

    What I liked even more than that was going into the area and failing the fight, it reloaded me at the entrance with no option to head back out and change my weapon loadout. I was stuck there, same weps, same amount of ammo (which was the smartgun with 38 rounds left). Very poor design.
  • bad09 25 Feb 2010 22:30:42 5,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Paperghost wrote:
    yup. i'm also not enjoying what i assume is the final boss on the marine campaign - instakill shotgun from any distance via an indestructible lance henriksen?

    urgh. i can't even get up the stairs without him immediately taking off a huge chunk of energy.

    I struggled at first but it's very easy actually.

    Use the sniper rifle after hitting him a few times he runs away, when he advances again repeat, then let him have a few grenades. Game over man.
  • bad09 25 Feb 2010 22:33:16 5,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    George Roper wrote:
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I did it too.

    What I liked even more than that was going into the area and failing the fight, it reloaded me at the entrance with no option to head back out and change my weapon loadout. I was stuck there, same weps, same amount of ammo (which was the smartgun with 38 rounds left). Very poor design.

    If you don't move forward the door stays open, turn around you can go out and get health and ammo.
  • Page

    of 64 First / Last

Log in or register to reply