Rate the last book you read Page 33

• Page

of 49 First / Last

• spindle9988 8 Apr 2013 14:39:57 3,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The silver linings playbook 9/10

Such a great little book, I wont summarise because the films out now as well. My only gripe with the book is that it was too short. Go read it now
  • glaeken 22 Apr 2013 10:57:16 11,197 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Web by John Wyndham - Not a bad little read though pretty short. It's the story of a group of people trying to set up a utopian society on a remote island which does not go quite to plan due to some particular nasty residents of said Island whose mysterious identity is unfortunately rather given away by the title of the book and the cover. It was enjoyable enough but not in the same league as some of Wyndham's more well known works.
  • Deleted user 24 April 2013 13:51:04
    Lotos8ter wrote:

A Fault in Our Stars by John Green 10/10

senso-ji wrote:
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

8/10
    spindle9988 wrote:

Just finished this. Great book, I would give it a 9
    Yeah you guys convinced me. Just ordered it. I need some fiction! :)
  • spindle9988 24 Apr 2013 14:03:28 3,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You wont regret it
  • Blaketown 24 Apr 2013 14:23:27 4,667 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Cold Commands by Richard Morgan
    Not much of a "Fantasy" reader, but have really enjoyed this and the first book in the series The Steel Remains.
    It's brutal and cynical with graphic descriptions of the violence and sex, but the characters are as entertaining as they are amoral and there are some wonderfully quotable lines of dialogue.
    8/10

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Deleted user 28 April 2013 10:43:28
    Life of Pi

I struggled with this book at first. The writing was a bit flowery and pretentious (and yes, I do mean pretentious). Finding a characters voice has got to be the hardest part of writing a book, and Pi's voice came across to me as some wanky-trying-to-hard writer patting himself on the back with every two sentence philosophical sound bite. It actually angered me at first, and really made me want to stop reading. Which I did do, several times. The character's voice, especially in the first person, should have me feeling like I'm with this young, spiritual indian boy. Not that I accidentally wandered into the Literature department's weekly Starbucks group meet.

But I soldiered on. And either it calmed down, I started to accept that this was his voice (poor little indian boy doesn't even know he is a struggling literary genius!) or I just got over it, but it didn't bother me later on. It turned out to be a great book, with a brilliant pay off at the end which is worth the initial struggle. Doesn't make me think about anything differently to how I already did, but I imagine - hope - it would make others question their staunch opinions, objections.

8/10 - Brilliant book, special in a sense that it should be read by everyone.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 10:52:27
    From what i remember of the book, the boy in a sense is trying to find his voice - a boring middle class upbringing, and he can't see how he fits in to a new india. I think being in that position you do end up ( i know i did) writing some flowery and pretentious bullshit to make your life mean something more than it is.

What did you think of the last chapter ? did you think it was needed?
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 11:24:12
    You mean the last two? (with the interview) Absolutely, the last chapter would be my favourite and shined a whole new light on the story and massively increased my appreciation of the book as a whole. Without it I would have been tempted to come to the same conclusions (without the precise details - French cook etc. - but I believe it gave the book immense credibility to lay it out and make the analogy part of the story.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 11:25:23
    I see what you are saying with the voice, maybe that was why I found it settled down as the character found his. Still wanted to punch him early on. Whether intentional or not!
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 21:36:13
    Thats cool man i never really considered the last two chapters like that, initially i was quite angry of being told how to read it, but i never saw it in way of creditbility . And it kind of make sense!
  • phAge 28 Apr 2013 21:39:20 24,372 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Not much of a "Fantasy" reader, but have really enjoyed this and the first book in the series The Steel Remains.
    It's brutal and cynical with graphic descriptions of the violence and sex, but the characters are as entertaining as they are amoral and there are some wonderfully quotable lines of dialogue.
    8/10
    Morgan is as great doing fantasy as he is in hardcore sci-fi mode. Makes ordinary orcs n' elves fantasy look a bit weak in comparison.

AFAIK there is a third book in the series underway - can't wait.
  • onestepfromlost 28 Apr 2013 23:45:00 2,076 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Blaketown wrote:
    8/10
    Morgan is as great doing fantasy as he is in hardcore sci-fi mode. Makes ordinary orcs n' elves fantasy look a bit weak in comparison.

AFAIK there is a third book in the series underway - can't wait.
    I love Richard Morgan's stuff, but I found the cold commands to be the weakest so far. Felt that not enough really happened to progress the story.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2013 09:31:36
    The Fault of our stars- John Green

Ok. Finished this a couple of days ago and tried to let it settle. Its sharply written, with some great observations and some genuinely funny moments and with the nature of the story some harrowing moments.

For me though especially the first half, it felt to diablo cody esq. The second half really does get under the skin of the three, and fantastically drawn main characters, the stars of the show. The author asks the right questions, and must have done some serious research or must have first hand experience in what these characters go through. I was seriously impressed with that. All the thought process of distinct characters were really well drawn and gave me views on life, themselves and people around them that i never considered with the subect matter.

The delicate debate on fate vs man being in charge of his destiny was well handled, from the book title, through to the journey of the characters themselves.

7/10. I wasn't overally keen on the writing style, but to be honest its the first book i have read with that sort of quick, narrative diary style. Well the first time in a long time anyway.
  • henro_ben 7 May 2013 10:20:43 2,216 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Magicians and The Magician King by Lev Grossman

These seems to be very 'Marmite' judging by online reviews, people seem to either love them or hate them.

Personally I loved them, basically an adult version of Harry Potter, mixed in with a hodgepodge of other influences - Lord of the Rings, the Narnia books etc. But sharp, clever and very funny in places.

The first book felt oddly paced to me, slightly disjointed and with curious gaps. Almost felt like it'd been edited down perhaps a little to harshly.

Enjoyed the second book a lot more, felt far more tightly paced. Often the second novel in a trilogy is a bit... meandering and lacking in focus as it sets things up for the final instalment but this felt tight & far more self contained. Stands as a story in its own right. Only jarring part was the rape scene near the end, felt superfluous and in more for shock value than for advancing the story.

Overall:
    The Magicians: 9/10
    The Magician King: 10/10

Wish he'd hurry up and write the third one... I needs it!
  • spindle9988 7 May 2013 10:23:50 3,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    The Fault of our stars- John Green

Ok. Finished this a couple of days ago and tried to let it settle. Its sharply written, with some great observations and some genuinely funny moments and with the nature of the story some harrowing moments.

For me though especially the first half, it felt to diablo cody esq. The second half really does get under the skin of the three, and fantastically drawn main characters, the stars of the show. The author asks the right questions, and must have done some serious research or must have first hand experience in what these characters go through. I was seriously impressed with that. All the thought process of distinct characters were really well drawn and gave me views on life, themselves and people around them that i never considered with the subect matter.

The delicate debate on fate vs man being in charge of his destiny was well handled, from the book title, through to the journey of the characters themselves.

7/10. I wasn't overally keen on the writing style, but to be honest its the first book i have read with that sort of quick, narrative diary style. Well the first time in a long time anyway.
    The characters were the best thing about the book. The writing style is simple but I quite enjoyed that. One of my fave books so far this year
  • Tonka 7 May 2013 10:55:49 20,546 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Master and Commander
    Quite hard going due to it's style of writing and massive helping of nautical terms. But very enjoyable. There were some really tense page turning moments and a lot of laughs.

Comfortable. I started on the follow up immediately afterwards. As I understand it that one has little sea faring in it but I do find the countryside life very amusing. So far I'm looking forward to reading the series in its entirety.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Agent_Llama 7 May 2013 22:49:31 3,359 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Never read McCarthy before, so pleasantly surprised. He paints a bloody, stark picture of life in the American West in the mid-1800's. His unique style was initially jarring but works a treat. Some of the descriptions of the landscapes are truly glorious. Top it all off with an ending that raises many questions and leaves an unsettling aftertaste. Brilliant stuff.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• Megapocalypse 9 May 2013 23:30:16 5,443 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini - 9/10

The final book in the Inheritance/Eragon Cycle and ends it perfectly. The whole series is very cheesy fantasy, and the first three books are basically the Star Wars trilogy; replacing space ships and the force with dragons and magic. There's very little original, but its all very good fun. The forth and final book meant Paolini now had to write his own ending and its actually very good.

I think as someone else mentioned in another thread; I'd be embarrassed to actually recommend the series as it is seriously cheesy but its still very good fun and I would not discourage anyone from reading it were they thinking of doing so.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 23:32:25 09-05-2013
  • TOOTR 12 May 2013 14:32:53 9,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished the first three books of Peter V Bretts Demon Cycle fantasy and have enjoyed them a lot.

There's a solid feeling of 'levelling up' of powers on all sides as the books progress and the main characters are very well depicted.

4/5 stars for all three and very much looking forward to the next one (even if the (very literal) cliffhanger at the end of book 3 seemed a tad contrived it was still executed brilliantly)

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Deleted user 12 May 2013 15:13:42
    All You Need is Kill 9/10

Brilliant, quite short but very pacy.

Military Sci-fi.

A rookie is sent into battle in a Mech suit against alien invaders. He dies within 30 sec but when he opens his eyes he is not dead but once again entering the same battle again.

He's stuck in a ground hog day time loop, but each time he awakens to live it again, he gets that much better, that much tougher, that little bit further etc.

Book is being turned into a film starring tom cruise apparently.
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 15:17:01
    Yukikaze 8/10

Military SCi-fi again.

About an air squadron in advanced FFR3 fighter planes, fighting an advanced alien adversary.

A good page turning blast.

Edited by espibara at 15:17:13 12-05-2013
  • TOOTR 12 May 2013 15:40:44 9,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    espibara wrote:

Military Sci-fi.

A rookie is sent into battle in a Mech suit against alien invaders. He dies within 30 sec but when he opens his eyes he is not dead but once again entering the same battle again.

He's stuck in a ground hog day time loop, but each time he awakens to live it again, he gets that much better, that much tougher, that little bit further etc.

Groundhog day is one reference but surely a bigger one is dying and respawning in an FPS?

I think the movie has a good chance of grabbing the gamer pound (if there was such a thing).

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Deleted user 12 May 2013 15:46:54
    TOOTR wrote:
    espibara wrote:

Military Sci-fi.

Groundhog day is one reference but surely a bigger one is dying and respawning in an FPS?

I think the movie has a good chance of grabbing the gamer pound (if there was such a thing).
    Maybe but a cracking read,

It has a Japanese author and very much follows the samurai code of learn from your opponent and death
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 16:10:28
    Meandered through The Last Policeman t'other day. A book I was annoyed at before I even started it, because it was a concept I thought up about a month before this book was released (guy decides to solve a murder even though the world is ending). But yes. The author, who I forget the name of, is a decent writer and can turn a phrase, but dear lord this book drags and drags and drags. Aside from annoying moments of info-dumping, it's also got a fairly terrible plot with various strands completely unresolved whilst simultaneously being one of those annoying whodunnits where the villain is basically unguessable. Also has lots and lots of faux-tension "THE POLICEMAN WORKED SOMETHING OUT, AND RAN OFF TO SEE IF HE WAS RIGHT" moments, leaving the audience in the dark whilst the protagonist arses about for a bit before revealing what he knows. Which doesn't work at all in 1st person POV (and arguably shouldn't work in 3rd person either. A cheap, nasty trick, in my opinion).
  • spindle9988 16 May 2013 08:37:16 3,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Magpies

A young couple buy a dream flat to start their lives which is lovely at 1st. The neighbours are not what tey seem though and the harasment begins.

Couldnt put it down. 99p on the kindle store, well worth a punt

8.5/10
  • glaeken 28 May 2013 10:17:11 11,197 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dracula by Bram Stoker. Wow this was overly verbose. I decided to read it as I had never got around to it and although it's quite good it loses quite a bit in you knowing what is going on from the start whereas no other character does. It takes them an age to actually put it together which far from being an intriguing mystery as it must once have been is just far too slow because of course we already know the mystery. Told in the form of letters and diary extracts from each character often each character describes the same thing from their perspective and this really does not help in the pacing and the glacial pace the mystery is revealed over.

This really is a book where itís overwhelming success takes away quite a bit from the original work. It must have been so different when it was originally released and no-one had a clue what it was about.
  • Phattso Moderator 28 May 2013 10:28:37 13,345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fermat's Last Theorem

Having an hard time with fiction of late, so decided to give this one a punt. Book about a mathematician's childhood fascination with a very simple equation and the 350 years it had gone without a proof. Absolutely excellent, blending interesting historical anecdotes into many compelling contemporary stories.

I have a great review, but this post is insufficient to hold it / 10
  • LeoliansBro 28 May 2013 10:49:46 44,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah it's great isn't it Phattso. I recommend The Particle At The End Of The Universe about the Higgs if you're after something in the same vein (a voyage of discovery with the theory in the background).

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Phattso Moderator 28 May 2013 11:16:23 13,345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll give it a go, cheers!
  • Deleted user 28 May 2013 11:32:02
    Phattso wrote:
    Fermat's Last Theorem

Having an hard time with fiction of late, so decided to give this one a punt. Book about a mathematician's childhood fascination with a very simple equation and the 350 years it had gone without a proof. Absolutely excellent, blending interesting historical anecdotes into many compelling contemporary stories.

I have a great review, but this post is insufficient to hold it / 10
    Is this manageable for a maths and science dunce? Sounds right up my street.
  • Page

of 49 First / Last