Rate the last book you read Page 3

• Page

of 50 First / Last

• iokthemonkey 22 Jun 2009 15:36:55 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RMXtreme wrote:
    Films rarely do justice to books. I tried watching the film shortly after reading the book, but got annoyed by the liberties that were taken.

You mean Tolkien, no?

I agree, absolutely - I'm struggling to think of a movie that WAS better than the book... But yeah, I'm starting to see a lot more holes in the movies now...

And no, you're thinking of the guy who wrote "Fly Fishing."

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• RMXtreme 23 Jun 2009 23:07:05 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Playback by Raymond Chandler 6,5/10

It's nowhere near as good as the Long Goodbye; too much sex, not enough plot and uninteresting lead characters (even Marlowe).
  • Deleted user 23 June 2009 23:28:57
    Frank Herbert - The Green Brain 9/10
  • Deleted user 8 July 2009 01:55:08
    The Suspicions of Mr Whicher - 8/10
  • Khanivor 8 Jul 2009 02:32:58 40,942 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Looming Tower - 9/10
  • Tonka 14 Jul 2009 09:19:07 20,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart
    A post apocalyptic book published in 1949. A slow realistic take on what would happen if nearly all of the human population was killed by a super plague. It's also very interesting because of how much the world has changed since 49. Good read.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• redcrayon 18 Jul 2009 18:08:25 4,567 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hey Tonka,

Earth Abides is one of my favourite books, try John Wyndham for a British take on similar themes.

I've just finished Seeds of Earth, a space opera by Michael Cobley. 8/10, worth a go if you like wierd aliens and epic plots without the sexual hangups of Peter Hamilton.
  • Oh-Bollox 18 Jul 2009 18:10:38 5,326 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Death of Grass. 9/10. A bloody classic.
  • Tonka 28 Jul 2009 08:41:18 20,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
    Really good post apocalyptic book. If you haven't read it you should. No sawn off shotguns or leather thongs in this one either. Set so far after a nuclear war that all technology is lost. Tells the tale of a small monastery devoted to preserving knowledge from before the "Flame Deluge" spanning centuries.

I will now take a break from post apocalyptica for a while. Thanks for the tip redcrayon, I will definitely look into John Wyndham in the future.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• TechnoHippy 28 Jul 2009 08:51:07 14,719 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Druss - Legend of Deathwalker

Hardly an intellectual read, but it does what it says on the tin. A big man, with a big axe, fighting overwhelming odds.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• andywilkie35 28 Jul 2009 09:00:05 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth

Had it on the shelf for literally years, finally decided to read it. Glad I did, very enjoyable. There were a couple of moments where it seemed to slow down a lot in the 1st part (which isn't a criticism), but the second two parts were excellent.

9/10

Started reading I Am Legend by Robert Matheson last night - meant to read 10 pages before bed, ended up reading to page...*checks*...56, so far so very good!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Jeepers 28 Jul 2009 09:06:12 13,183 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Complete Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan-Doyle
    A most singular thing. Borderline racist, enormously misogynistic, remarkably proud of itself. Descends into trivia in the last collection. Entertaining in parts.

7/10
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Aug 2009 13:40:23 7,372 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A Fire Upon The Deep - 10/10
    Brilliant space opera with an epic scope and some really original ideas. One of the best sci-fi novels I've read.
  • andywilkie35 7 Aug 2009 13:42:08 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I Am Legend - Robert Matheson

Wonderful. Makes the film look pretty terrible in comparison

10/10

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 7 August 2009 13:43:11
    Desolation Island by Patrick O'Brian 10/10
    Probably the best book in the Aubrey/Maturin canon.

In some ways it's the first book in a mini trilogy within the 20 book cycle, as the events flow neatly into the following books The Fortunes of War and The Surgeon's Mate.

Anyway, Desolation Island has the epic chase in the southern ocean with the Dutch 74 trying to sink it and perhaps one of literature's best shipwreck sequences.
  • Lukus 7 Aug 2009 13:55:28 19,248 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dawn of the Dumb (Dispatches from the Idiotic Frontline).

Simply a collection of opinion pieces and telly reviews by Charlie Brooker from his Guardian columns. As such it's as hit and miss as you would expect. Perfect reading for on the bus though as each bit is no more than 4 pages long.

7/10.

Paintings & Photographs

• RMXtreme 7 Aug 2009 19:35:08 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moby Dick - Herman Melville

Starts of pretty well, but gets bogged down once the Pequod sets sail. Beautifully written, but the book could've and maybe should've been 300 pages shorter as most of the middle of the book (on whaling and the whale itself) didn't enhance the ending, which was very good.

7/10
  • RMXtreme 10 Aug 2009 10:08:08 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith

I thought I had gotten tired of the thriller genre, but apparently it was just the quality of the books that I was reading and not the genre. Excellent book.

9/10
  • PearOfAnguish 10 Aug 2009 10:14:31 7,372 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fragment by Warren Fahy - 2/10
    It were rubbish. Horrible dialogue, stupid characters with dumb names and a moronic story. It gets 2 points for being marginally better than a Matthew Reilly book.
  • malteaserhead 11 Aug 2009 14:13:01 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ghostwritten by David Mitchell
    Good stuff.

Despite reading his output backwards and being familiar with the themes of reincarnation, power and the schisms involved of living up to contradictory cultural expectations I found this to be a great read.

Perhaps a little long and maybe there are too many themes in it (or that the themes aren't given equal weight) which gives it a bit of a lob-sided feel in places.

Still...8/10
  • RMXtreme 11 Aug 2009 21:47:25 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ripley Under Ground - Patricia Highsmith

After the talented Mr. Ripley a bit of a disappointment.

6/10
  • BobasaurasRex 11 Aug 2009 21:51:32 163 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    India: A History - John Keay

Excellent introduction to Indian history. Easy to read, interesting, informative.

All round thumbs up.
  • _Price_ 11 Aug 2009 22:09:14 3,074 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lord of the Rings (complete) - 10/10

I genuinely wasn't expecting to enjoy it all that much this time around, but it just kept dragging me forwards. Perhaps it's just that I was able to appreciate it more after reading the Silmarilian / Children of Hurin recently, but the level of detail that's in both the world and its history is incredible.

Don't get me wrong; it could certainly do with a bit of an edit to sort of some cringe-worthy dialogue and the odd plot hole, but the sheer volume of solid storytelling negates any criticism I may have.

It does almost drop a half point for something that hasn't sat happily with me each time I've read it though; from some descriptions of 'good' and 'evil' characters - Tolkien was a bit of an old racist, right?
  • gang_of_bitches 11 Aug 2009 22:29:25 5,633 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Coetzee - Disgrace

One of the best books I've read. Great author.

Agreed. Have you read Life and Times of Michael K yet? that's another goodie, not so keen on the last couple though.

On a rather less highbrow note, I've just finished Thank You For the Days by Mark Radcliffe. I just love his writing style and the warmth he conveys about his subject matter, it just makes me feel good. 7/10
  • RMXtreme 24 Aug 2009 08:52:51 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Nifenegger

A few rough edges and a little too sad for my liking towards the end, but a good book.

8,5/10
  • Jeepers 24 Aug 2009 09:04:03 13,183 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

I wasn't expecting much, having endured Dickens at secondary school, but I loved it. Memorable characters, cracking story and great writing.

9/10
  • Trane 7 Sep 2009 21:17:22 4,056 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Memories of Ice - Steven Erikson

Absolutely stunning, this is the best fantasy series I've picked up (The above is the third book). I really did enjoy the first two books, but this was a step up again IMO, I'm off to grab House of Chains and start reading as soon as I finish typing this :)

9.3/10
  • RMXtreme 9 Sep 2009 16:33:16 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Midnight's Children - Salmon Rushdie

Brilliant

10/10
  • Slurmseh 10 Sep 2009 21:37:15 2,343 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Memories of Ice - Steven Erikson

Absolutely stunning, this is the best fantasy series I've picked up (The above is the third book). I really did enjoy the first two books, but this was a step up again IMO, I'm off to grab House of Chains and start reading as soon as I finish typing this :)

9.3/10
    Wait until you get to the 6th book, it's incredible. The whole series is!

/off topic
  • CaptainBinky 10 Sep 2009 21:40:24 2,244 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shakespeare: The World as Stage - Bill Bryson

Excellent and fascinating, just like all of Bill Bryson's stuff so no surprises there.

8/10
  • Page

of 50 First / Last