STOP PRESS! New Dan Brown book on the way! Page 7

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 18:46:47 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @meme I saw the first two films. That's enough to put you off reading them. When a film series is drastically improved by its main characters not being in it much you know something is wrong
  • Tonka 17 Mar 2013 18:51:08 19,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Dan Brown writes excellent tourist guides. Loads of offbeat tips and insights into iconography etc.

Too bad that he insists on applying his plot on them. Would be so much better with photos and fold out maps.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• nickthegun 17 Mar 2013 18:51:47 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I watched the first movie while at the right stage of being drunk, so everything seemed funny.

Her gormless expression, the stupid dialogue, the sparkling, the terrible, terrible special effects.. everything was just piss funny.

Tried to repeat the experience with the second movie and it just made me angry. I made it through a few minutes of her mooning about like a chump and just turned it off.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 18:54:29 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun to be fair the second film was better than the DaVinci Code film.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2013 18:57:53
    I haven't even properly watched any of the films (my wife has had them on, but I successfully ignored them from start to finish).

Thus I claim superiority over nick in terms of tween entertainment exposure.

I have read The Host though
  • nickthegun 17 Mar 2013 18:58:53 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And all the Harry Potter books, i'll warrant.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 17 March 2013 19:02:34
    Skimread the last couple so I could ruin plot twists for people.
  • nickthegun 17 Mar 2013 19:05:23 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does you college have a quidditch team?

He totally called it

• RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 19:05:51 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @meme my favourite bit of graffiti ever was a poster for one of the Harry potter films, onto which someone wrote:

Dumbledore dies :'(
  • Deleted user 17 March 2013 19:07:04
    I am the champion Golden Snitch Seeker.

On an unrelated note, one of the colleges I investigated transferring to had houses based on historical figures. If I went there I could have ended up in House Thatcher. Not a word of a lie.
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 19:11:55 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @meme Would be good for some "in thatcher" jokes...
  • nickthegun 17 Mar 2013 19:12:36 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TORY HOOOOOOUSE!!!

He totally called it

• Deleted user 17 March 2013 19:18:37
    It was actually tempting, considering they offer a $40,000 minimum scholarship for my current academic standing. But it would also involve moving to New York, and I really can't be arsed with the hassle of relocating two and a half thousand miles for a couple of years of schooling.

EDIT: Christ, that sounds wanky. Anyway, back to Dan Brown.

Edited by meme at 19:40:32 17-03-2013
  • RedSparrows 18 Mar 2013 11:57:45 20,739 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I haven't even properly watched any of the films (my wife has had them on, but I successfully ignored them from start to finish).

Thus I claim superiority over nick in terms of tween entertainment exposure.

I have read The Host though
    I saw the trailer for that.

Other than seemingly telling us most of the plot in 45 seconds, it looked so utterly uninspired, theme wise.
  • DaM 18 Mar 2013 12:13:01 12,603 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    The meteor one is the one (I think) where a microdrone the size of a mosquito pushes a grown man into a hole, and people wield guns which use snow as ammunition.

Which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the "ALL TECHNOLOGY IN THIS BOOK IS REAL...REAL" disclaimer at the beginning.
    IT IS REAL!!!!
  • sport 18 Mar 2013 12:20:46 12,043 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I quite enjoyed Digital Fortress.
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 16:00:59
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/10049454/Dont-make-fun-of-renowned-Dan-Brown.html

(via kalel)
  • Deleted user 22 May 2013 02:27:20
    Key finds after just a handful of chapters:

Using "inside his *synonym for head*" in three consecutive sentences.
    Awkward grammar making it seem as though a character has the ability to be in two places at once (such as simultaneously searching a cupboard for clothes whilst carrying them to the bathroom).
    The usual Dan Brownisns of repetitive adjectives - there's a cave that's been described as "eerie" around five times thus far, a yacht that isn't just a yacht, but is always described as "the Luxury Yacht 'The whateverthenameis'", etc etc.

I'm also pretty confident I've worked out the entire plot in advance, too. Not just the raw "This is a Dan Brown book" template, but literally the entire thing. And there's already a "naturally, strikingly beautiful" female sidekick. Who randomly has an IQ of 208.

And if anyone's curious why I'm bothering, it's so I can criticise the fuck out of it with impunity.

Edited by meme at 02:27:28 22-05-2013
  • RedSparrows 23 May 2013 08:55:11 20,739 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You're doing us all a service, Meme. Can we have a summary at the end?
  • LeoliansBro 23 May 2013 09:03:46 41,863 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/10049454/Dont-make-fun-of-renowned-Dan-Brown.html

(via kalel)
    Just seen this. That's excellent.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 30 May 2013 15:15:04
    Finished it t'other day. I'll begrudgingly admit that it's probably one of his better books (especially after the utter shitefest that was Lost Symbol), although that pretty much nails the definition of "damning with faint praise". I think he just does the Dan Brownisms in force at the beginning just to troll lit snobs like me, as they seem to wither and die about a quarter of the way through.

Still a load of old cock, story-wise, though. Lots of implausible "I AM THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE" moments, and a good third of the book might as well be a museum/city guide. Though it's probably telling that I've been to Florence and explored it fairly extensively, and didn't recognise most of the stuff he was attempting to describe. Presumably this is why they included photos every three pages or so. There's also a massive anti-Chekov's Gun moment where his missing wristwatch is mentioned about a dozen times over the course of the book, which turns out to have absolutely no relevance or plot point whatsoever.

But aside from all that, it was okay, I suppose.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next