Nintendo Adverts

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • FooAtari 18 Apr 2009 18:18:55 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does anyone else find Nintendo adverts patronising as hell??

Specifically the Animal Crossing and DSi adverts. I can't stand them.

The two birds in the AC advert come across like a couple of total simpletons. They just make me cringe.

/rant over.
  • Frayed.Knot 18 Apr 2009 18:20:06 605 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've just seen the Wii Music one..

Truly cringeworthy.
  • BartonFink 18 Apr 2009 18:22:18 34,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah the Nintendo mantra 'know thy audience'

I think they are perfect for the people they are targeting. For the rest of us yea absolute cringefest.
  • FooAtari 18 Apr 2009 18:24:56 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are they targetting toddlers? There adverts feel like ones you would see on a saturday morning for young kids toys.

Just to point out, this isnt a hate thread. I do actually own a DS. But I just had to moan about the advertising, they are some of the worst gaming adverts I have ever seen
  • Deleted user 18 April 2009 18:26:42
    Frayed.Knot wrote:
    I've just seen the Wii Music one..

Truly cringeworthy.

Totally agree. I particularly hate the animal crossing one, I think. Where the two girls meet in the game and shout "Hiya" "Oh I've caught one, awesome" and crap at the mic on their respective TVs.

Oh, and this bit "Hey mum I've got a house in the game". Mum; "Oh really, how's that?" Daughter; "It's just like real life" (or something. What the hell is that all about?!
  • BartonFink 18 Apr 2009 18:27:04 34,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yea they don't look out of place alongside Fisher Price and vtech adverts do they. As I said the Nintendo mantra 'know thy audience'
  • Frayed.Knot 18 Apr 2009 18:27:26 605 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They make me feel ashamed to be playing my Wii in my dank, smelly room with the curtains drawn.

Gotta get me some white furniture..
  • Whatsfor 18 Aug 2010 08:38:24 2,189 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Necro Bump.

Why do I get the feeling that the "actors" in Ninty ad's have got a gun pointed at them by somebody behind the camera?

"Say it or die bitches!"

"Part of the family since 1985" ... STFU!

/rant
  • matt6666 18 Aug 2010 08:42:35 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nobody drinks in the wii pub.. Uni student playing online games with his family instead of magic mushrooms, wtf??
  • Razz 18 Aug 2010 08:48:19 60,010 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Super░Cool Story░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓░
    ░░░░░█████░▓█▓▓░
    ░░░░████████▓▓▓░
    ░░░░██▒▒█▒▒████░
    ░░░█▒██▒▒▒▒▒▒██░
    ░░██▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▒█░░
    ░░██▒▒▒▒██████░░
    ░░░░██▒▒▒▒▒██░░░
    ░░█████▓█▓██░░░░
    ░░██▒██▓█▓█▓░░░░
    ░░█▒▒▒▓▓░▓▓▓░░█░
    ░░░▒▒█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██░
    ░██▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓██░
    ░██▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓██░
    ░██▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░░Bro░░░

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• matt6666 18 Aug 2010 08:53:15 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know right? And the Mario advert guy talks slow like he's simple.. Word!!1
  • RyanDS 18 Aug 2010 09:06:24 8,702 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The one which annoys me is Dragon Quest 9. I want that but the advert makes it look like a 5 year old girls dressing up game rather than a long RPG. Now my wife is mocking me mercilessly that I want "that game where I can put the dress and bunny ears on my princess."
  • matt6666 18 Aug 2010 09:15:41 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heh.. Tell her you just want to look good fighting the cucumbers ffs..Good game though
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 18 Aug 2010 09:17:42 10,785 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hehe it really does just look like a cross between Pokemon and Style Boutique from that advert.

And why use in-game music?? Shoddy.
  • Cadence 18 Aug 2010 09:49:25 1,622 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That is a dreadful advert, like you say it looks like one of those "dress my pony" games that seem to sell by the shovel-load to 11 year old girls.
  • lucky_jim 18 Aug 2010 10:05:22 5,161 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It totally mis-represents the product it's selling, but I guess most ads do that one way or another. It seems to be working, DQ9 is selling far more than it probably would have done if they'd actually marketed it as a JRPG. I guess they figured they don't really need to sell the game to people who visit sites like EG, we'll read reviews and want it anyway.

It's a horrible, horrible advert though. You'd think the point in the game is to dress up your characters.
  • brokenkey 18 Aug 2010 10:34:03 6,805 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    It totally mis-represents the product it's selling, but I guess most ads do that one way or another. It seems to be working, DQ9 is selling far more than it probably would have done if they'd actually marketed it as a JRPG. I guess they figured they don't really need to sell the game to people who visit sites like EG, we'll read reviews and want it anyway.

It's a horrible, horrible advert though. You'd think the point in the game is to dress up your characters.

What do you do with the money you earn in the game then?

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• lucky_jim 18 Aug 2010 10:53:37 5,161 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Er, the same I've done in every other JRPG since the 16-bit days (when the graphics usually didn't show any change in the equipment), that is buy better equipment. Not because of how it looks though, I don't coo over my characters' changes of clothes like they do on the ad.

What an odd question. Why?
  • brokenkey 18 Aug 2010 12:10:38 6,805 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Because I'd argue that the point of the game's money mechanic is to dress up/equip your character, same as pretty much every RPG, MMO or otherwise, ever. The plot is incidental to this aim.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• lucky_jim 18 Aug 2010 12:23:53 5,161 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh right I've got ya. I wouldn't agree with that though. The point of money in JRPGs is to get bigger sticks to hit bigger bad guys with. What they look like is irrelevant, for most of the genre's existence there's been little or no aesthetic difference between the small stick you start the game with and the massive one you finish it with. It wouldn't bother me if all the kit in DQ9 looked the same, as long as it hurts the monsters more as the game progresses.
  • Slabbathepave 18 Aug 2010 12:35:34 488 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZAsCRIEaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsON9PJRR4g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su3kMZ7sEm8&feature=related

They used to be better :)
  • Doomspoon 18 Aug 2010 12:40:24 2,353 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Oh right I've got ya. I wouldn't agree with that though. The point of money in JRPGs is to get bigger sticks to hit bigger bad guys with. What they look like is irrelevant, for most of the genre's existence there's been little or no aesthetic difference between the small stick you start the game with and the massive one you finish it with. It wouldn't bother me if all the kit in DQ9 looked the same, as long as it hurts the monsters more as the game progresses.

In some of my earlier days of JRPG playing I'd only ever upgrade with stuff I looted/dropped off monsters/was awarded etc but I just wouldn't buy upgrades, I think this included FFVII. I play differently now but I guess half of them could still be played that way.

I want DQ 9 too but the advert was putting me off. As has been pointed out above though, it's probably helped it shift more copies as those that normally would buy DQ games would want to buy it regardless of advertising. I guess it also means there's going to be a lot of good condition used ones in the shops soon when little Chardonay or Frogmella realises there's more to it than "that game where I can put the dress and bunny ears on my princess."
  • geeza2020 18 Aug 2010 12:46:17 1,857 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    you would have struggled in FF7 I'm sure, as most of the weapons had to be bought (or won at gold saucer) only a couple could be found (Ragnorok and maybe Ultima weapon?) I think. Memories a little hazy though.
  • Doomspoon 18 Aug 2010 13:02:38 2,353 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had read from a guide about accessing higher level monsters than I should have been on the second disc, I spent a while power levelling there. Endgame I also remember something about using Knights of the Round and Mime a lot at which point the fight would just go on for ages without me doing much. I did partake in the Chocobo races and breeding so may well have been purchasing a shedload of Gysahl greens. I'd mastered a lot of materia as I recall.

I've just done a quick search and I think the ultimate weapons (equipment) in FF VII were all looted in hidden areas or triggered by certain events rather than a regular purchase. I'm pretty certain I beat Emerald and Ruby weapon too (if they were in the EU PS version). Hard to say, it's around 11 years since I last played it. I do have it on PSP ready to begin again though.
  • hardtech 18 Aug 2010 16:24:33 921 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have to agree with the DQ9 advert. Does it even show any combat in the advert?
  • Dirtbox 18 Aug 2010 16:25:38 76,345 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like the one with the old lady.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• freaxgamer 18 Aug 2010 16:27:45 1,604 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nintendo Adverts are so truly patronising...they make there games so easy & simple to understand coz they think we are a bunch of simpletons.....
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next