MS now covering E74 failures for 3 years.... Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • LeD 10 Oct 2009 11:35:59 6,209 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My 3rd Xbox 360 just died on me, E74 error. It was one of those new Arcade machine with Falcon chipset and HDMI output, which I traded my Premium for while keeping the HDD. I think this one lasted 2 years.
  • steveb07 10 Oct 2009 14:58:51 848 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mine has been repaired and as on it's way back should have it on Monday so that's just over a week. Not bad at all really. I've been watching it move closer and closer from Germany on the web. It's now only 30 mins drive from my house but UPS have Monday as the delivery date...

PSN: IIIQuid

• LordMorpeth 10 Oct 2009 15:04:22 14 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had an E74 failure last year and am still waiting for the refund from M$ as per their policy announced earlier this year. Been chasing the sods for over 3 months now but with no joy. Their customer support is without doubt the worst I have ever come across for a multinational company.
  • Xerx3s 10 Oct 2009 16:15:37 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Funny, I've had nothing but excellent experiences with it.
  • RESIDENT_nEVILe 10 Oct 2009 17:29:34 109 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LordMorpeth wrote:
    I had an E74 failure last year and am still waiting for the refund from M$ as per their policy announced earlier this year. Been chasing the sods for over 3 months now but with no joy. Their customer support is without doubt the worst I have ever come across for a multinational company.
    MS customer service is a mixed bag; the refurbs can be unreliable, collection can be a pain to arrange due to language barriers or AWOL shipping labels.

But at least they (eeeventually) held their hands up to the RROD and E74 problems, and introduced the 3 year warranty.

I have gone through 6 Xboxes since launch '05, but only ever paid for the first.

Conversely, my launch '07 PS3 YLOD on me yesterday, and I was told that a repair would cost me 140 and would come with a 3 month guarantee. Rather than risking paying a total of 280 for a further repair 6 months down the line, I went out and bought a new 250g PS3 slim for 280. I also lost a 20 note whilst in town. (cue violins)

Neither situation is ideal, but whilst the Xbox was more frequently inconvenient, it was at least cheaper to buy, free to repair, and MS admitted liability for its failiures, whereas Sony charge double the MS fee for repairs and won't budge an inch on the all too prominent YLOD failiures.

Us early PS3 adopters paid 425 at launch for 2.5 years and then 140 for repairing the bugger, so that comes to 10000000 or thereabouts.

My 725 says MS customer service is looking pretty fucking good right now

Also: "Things break," before some other twat says it :)
  • LordMorpeth 10 Oct 2009 19:04:15 14 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My comment on M$ customer support was more pitched at the abilities of their staff manning the call centre and the stream of misinformation I have been fed over the last 3 months. The actual repair process, I thought, was slick and quick. But the internal organisation around processing automatic E74 refunds is poor, as has been levels of awareness of their staff around what has been committed to and actions to take to resolve queries related to it. A number of times I have been passed hugely bogus updates and made to feel a crook by having to prove no refund has been received.

If I compare this to how, for example, Dell, Sony or Samsung customer support work (ie, they support their customer to a resolution of whatever query), then this experience just doesn't compare.
  • repairmanjack 4 Jan 2010 00:24:03 5,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    My 3rd Xbox 360 just died on me, E74 error. It was one of those new Arcade machine with Falcon chipset and HDMI output, which I traded my Premium for while keeping the HDD. I think this one lasted 2 years.

Just had this, same system specs. Went out, bought Forza 3, came home: three red lights and that error code. No prior warning.

Not entirely sure how long my second machine has lasted... nor where the receipt is after the last move.

I'm better off buying a replacement machine, aren't I? Where's the cheapest place these days?
  • GuiltySpark 4 Jan 2010 00:56:19 6,320 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mines fucked as well : ( Had it since November 2006, which would make it 3 years and 2 months.

Fucking great.

Get bent.

• speed182 4 Jan 2010 01:02:40 899 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gameplay 109.

Amazon 130 with 2 free games.

Both arcades.

PSN ID: DJSpeed14
    Follow me on Twitter: Speeedy14

• Retroid Moderator 4 Jan 2010 01:33:54 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd recommend you both contact MS by phone anyway, they may surprise you.
  • GuiltySpark 4 Jan 2010 03:14:09 6,320 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    speed182 wrote:
    Gameplay 109.

Amazon 130 with 2 free games.

Both arcades.

Ah I know, recently bought one for my girlfriend. But meh, looking at the slightly bright side to this, at least now I can show my PS3 and PC some love. Could easily get Mass Effect 2 on PC after all.

I think I'll be buying one when Alan Wake is finally released.

Get bent.

• mal 13 Jun 2013 21:26:01 22,334 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aww, tits. Just switched on for the first time in a week or so and got the dreaded E74 error. Think it's a falcon unit, so it's well more than three years old now.

Quick question - is there a way to pull across profile and save data from my 256MB memory card if I were to buy a new console? I know I can get a data transfer cable to pull across the save on my hard disc, but do those things take memory cards as well? None of the shops I can find selling them mention memory cards at all.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mal 14 Jun 2013 00:33:16 22,334 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A bit of digging seems to suggest I'm rather out of luck. Best bet seems to be to find someone with a working older unit, and to use that to transfer the contents of my memory card to a USB drive.

Double tits.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 14 Jun 2013 02:59:29 53,808 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Weak.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next