Moon - now with spoilers! Page 9

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• mattigan 29 Nov 2009 22:38:11 1,429 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found it facinating to watch it all unravel, as I found out more an more of how the base actually worked I started to really feel sorry for the poor fucker there, which was compounded when you find out about the messages and see his reaction to the call home.

I don't think Gerty malfunctioned it just was never programmed to deal with a Sam ever questioning his existence, so when asked a direct question he simply answered truthfully.
  • WoodenSpoon 19 Dec 2009 20:47:49 12,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really liked this, not sure about a couple of things though -

When the cloned Sam wakes up after the first one's crash, how long does he think he's been on the station? He seemed to be just starting his 3 years but I got the impression (I'm not sure if I just wasn't paying enough attention) that he thought he'd been working there quite a while already.

As for Gerty; I didn't think he was as clever as people in this thread seem to think - when Sam 2 insisted he wanted to go outside, Gerty was either easily tricked or gave up arguing because Sam insisted - meaning he's either not that clever or he can't overrule Sam, either way he's essentially just a computer there to help Sam. I thought Gerty told Sam he was a clone because Sam asked, rather than because Gerty saw fit to; Gerty never pretends Sam is anything other than a clone, but given that the Sam clones all have the same genetic makeup and memories, to Gerty they probably are the same person. Gerty not being that smart or independent would also explain why he was so up for wiping all of his own memories.

The one problem I have with Gerty is why the company would program him to think it more important to look after Sam than keep his being a clone secret from him. Or, if Gerty is the super-complex emergent AI that some here reckon, who helped Sam because of his own personal decision, why the company put him alone on the Moon for so long with the capacity to realise how evil what they were doing was.

As for the wife on Earth and stuff, I can't think anything other than that the original Sam must have done his time on the moon, and the clones and memories were made and taken without his knowledge and shipped off to the moon afterwards because it was cheaper than finding replacements. Anything where origi Sam or his wife are part of the scheme is just too cold! Neither of the Sam clones could bring themselves to kill anyone!
  • Genji 19 Dec 2009 20:57:53 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty sure original Sam must have been in on it to some extent. I suppose they could have created his clones without his knowledge, but it seems unlikely. And there'd be so many ways he could accidentally find out, putting the company in a deep, deep pile of legal doodoo.

It seems more plausible to me that they co-opted him, and he knew about it all along. Maybe his wife didn't know, though.
  • mal 19 Dec 2009 21:06:24 22,570 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I've always assumed the original Sam was in on the deal, and Gerty was programmed to help Sam, and therefore it worked to conceal the truth from his clones. But it got increasingly less convinced as the years went on that each clone of Sam wasn't just as much Sam as the original one, so once there was a way to help the clone without directly disobeying the original Sam.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Genji 19 Dec 2009 21:23:11 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would assume original Sam was paid a ridiculous amount of money for his permission, and a promise to keep it a secret.

At any rate, I guess we'll find out if that rumor of an "epilogue" movie turns out to be true.
  • WoodenSpoon 20 Dec 2009 14:29:25 12,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah hopefully, I'm really looking forward to more films in the same universe. Have they said anything about expected release dates an such?
  • funkstar 20 Dec 2009 15:15:07 1,194 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    I really liked this, not sure about a couple of things though -

When the cloned Sam wakes up after the first one's crash, how long does he think he's been on the station? He seemed to be just starting his 3 years but I got the impression (I'm not sure if I just wasn't paying enough attention) that he thought he'd been working there quite a while already.

in response to this, i believe the clones were programmed with only a short amount of time left, because they decompose fairly quickly (like what is happening to sam #1) so they wake up thinking they have done most of their 3 years already

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• Oh-Bollox 31 Dec 2009 23:04:03 5,256 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The crew commentary is a right laugh, they talk a bit about the film but mainly just have fun, it's fantastic to listen to, you can tell when they've enjoyed making a film.

The other commentary, with the producer and director, is mainly about the film, and is quite informative.
  • whatthefu 9 Jan 2010 22:09:11 870 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pretty overrated film to be honest.
    saw it reviewed well and saw a few positive forum comments, but it just didn't do it for me.

needs more nukes probably.
  • mal 9 Jan 2010 22:12:27 22,570 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think it's overrated. I think you underappreciated it.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• whatthefu 9 Jan 2010 22:14:32 870 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, on the plus side, I did watch the whole way through and was interested to see how it would end. I can be impatient with films.
  • Carlo 9 Jan 2010 22:28:02 18,060 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    The other commentary, with the producer and director, is mainly about the film, and is quite informative.
    I'll have to buy it now :(

PSN ID: Djini

• kalel 18 Jan 2010 09:40:13 87,700 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So someone was trying to persuade me that Sam Rockwell doesnít play both the Sams, and that one was played by a Sam look-a-like. I was having none of it, however, a quick check of IMDP and wiki reveals that itís true an actor called Robin Chalk is listed as playing the younger Sam.

Does anyone know to what extent he played this part? Was is just the back of the head type stuff when theyíre both in shot? I canít believe that the second Sam was played entirely by a different actor, but thatís what this guy was trying to persuade me.

• WoodenSpoon 18 Jan 2010 09:55:00 12,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    o_0

He can't have been two different actors... in my memory they are identical, plus I heard the movie was written as a Sam Rockwell showcase type thing - it'd be weird if he got all the credit when 50% of the screentime was taken up by someone of apparently exactly equal acting ability.
  • Murbal 18 Jan 2010 10:01:15 22,223 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The second actor probably played him in scenes where it wasn't necessary to show his face with the other Sam, like when his back is to the camera or they're fighting. There's definitely one bit where both Sams are on screen and one reaches out to the other - the arm doesn't quite seem to belong :-)
  • paul_haine 19 Jan 2010 08:57:12 4,205 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    So someone was trying to persuade me that Sam Rockwell doesnít play both the Sams, and that one was played by a Sam look-a-like. I was having none of it, however, a quick check of IMDP and wiki reveals that itís true an actor called Robin Chalk is listed as playing the younger Sam.

Does anyone know to what extent he played this part? Was is just the back of the head type stuff when theyíre both in shot? I canít believe that the second Sam was played entirely by a different actor, but thatís what this guy was trying to persuade me.

Back of the head type stuff, an arm here, etc. etc. Definitely not a look-a-like though, unless he's Rockwell's actual clone
  • Murbal 19 Jan 2010 08:59:07 22,223 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    paul_haine wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Back of the head type stuff, an arm here, etc. etc. Definitely not a look-a-like though, unless he's Rockwell's actual clone

What I said then ;-)
  • IronGiant 5 Jul 2010 00:52:27 4,506 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really enjoyed this, just watched it without knowing any of the story.. Not for everyone but a great little scifi movie and loved the music by Clint :)
  • localnotail 11 Oct 2010 01:34:29 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watched this again tonight. Funny how second time around you really see how it's all one empathic robot's attempt to complete its prime directive by freeing the Sams. GERTY really does set everything up to try to get them to realise what they are. And after only 5 cycles too.
    A quite brilliant film.

I enjoyed the short film on the special features too, interesting concept.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • morriss 21 Mar 2011 22:37:59 70,997 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Check this out:

http://blog.manmademovies.co.uk/2011/03/21/moon-fan-art-sam-bell-meets-lucasarts/
  • Deleted user 21 March 2011 22:41:31
    WANT!!
  • YoshiMcTaggis 21 Mar 2011 22:41:41 3,180 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Someone make that, now, right now, before I start stabbing people.
  • faux_carnation 12 Apr 2011 16:20:16 9,344 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, does anyone know where I can buy one of those digital alarm clock within an old style alarm clock type things?
  • Page

of 10 First / Last