Same-sex marriage

• Page

of 31 First / Last

Previous
  • CitizenGeek 8 Apr 2009 13:19:03 3,465 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In the space of a week, Sweden and the US states of Vermont and Iowa (Iowa is a particular surprise, because it's pretty much an agrarian state) have legalised same sex marriage. Worldwide gay marriage is pretty much a question of when, rather than if, now, right? Can anyone think of a legitimate reason not to support same sex marriage?
  • Deleted user 8 April 2009 13:20:17
    Eh?
  • jonsaan 8 Apr 2009 13:20:25 25,360 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sex is always the same after a few years. Try using some toys to spice things up.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 8 April 2009 13:22:51
    Just in case there is something here that I am missing, you do know that in the UK same sex couples can essentially get married. It is referred to as a civil partnership but carries almost the exact same rights and consequences.
  • smoothpete 8 Apr 2009 13:23:37 31,556 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Now the gays can be just as frustrated and depressed as other married couples
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Apr 2009 13:24:02 35,708 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CitizenGeek wrote:
    Can anyone think of a legitimate reason not to support same sex marriage?

No.

Don't call it "marriage" if it bothers the church so much, but give them the same rights a heterosexual couple has.
  • malteaserhead 8 Apr 2009 13:24:50 13,444 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He is from Ireland though. The bit not in the UK.

Religious or secular moral reasons?
  • sport 8 Apr 2009 13:25:32 12,775 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CitizenGeek wrote:
    Can anyone think of a legitimate reason not to support same sex marriage?

No, not really.
  • Dougs 8 Apr 2009 13:26:21 68,364 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Sex is always the same after a few years. Try using some toys to spice things up.

:D zing
  • smoothpete 8 Apr 2009 13:27:40 31,556 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Just in case there is something here that I am missing, you do know that in the UK same sex couples can essentially get married. It is referred to as a civil partnership but carries almost the exact same rights and consequences.
    But not the exact same rights though
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Apr 2009 13:29:08 24,822 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In time Civil Partnerships will make their way over to Ireland as well, didn't occur that they might not have them already due to not being part of the UK.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Deleted user 8 April 2009 13:29:39
    smoothpete wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    But for all intents and purposes yes. The only real notable exception is the title of 'civil partner' as opposed to 'spouse', and the fact that the ceremony cannot be performed in a church.
  • Retroid Moderator 8 Apr 2009 13:29:48 44,956 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    You can't do it in a church though.
    You can if you're a choir boy.
  • Deleted user 8 April 2009 13:30:09
    Smuggo wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

I believe there's no 'almost' needed, it carries the same legal rights as marriage.

You can't do it in a church though.
    /Shakes fist for being too slow
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Apr 2009 13:30:10 24,822 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

To be honest I can't think of any rights that heterosexual married couples have that same-sex civil partners don't.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Retroid Moderator 8 Apr 2009 13:31:25 44,956 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ^____^
  • malteaserhead 8 Apr 2009 13:32:19 13,444 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    In time Civil Partnerships will make their way over to Ireland as well, didn't occur that they might not have them already due to not being part of the UK.

There is huge public support for it (about 80-90% approval in most surveys recently) it's mostly government holding back.
  • CitizenGeek 8 Apr 2009 13:41:31 3,465 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That Civil Partnership stuff in the UK is a cop-out though. "Separate but equal" is a hideous concept, and that's exactly what it is. As long as the state calls it marriage, then gays and straight people should have access to it.

malteaserhead wrote:Religious or secular moral reasons?

To be honest, I don't really trust that religious reasoning for being against same sex marriage are genuine. Given that most Christians don't follow the "rules" of the Bible strictly, and especially not the rules of the Old Testament, it's hypocritical to pick one specific "rule" and decide to support that.

I can't think of any secular moral reasons to be opposed to gays getting accessed to marriage.
  • Deleted user 8 April 2009 13:43:14
    CitizenGeek wrote:
    In the space of a week, Sweden and the US states of Vermont and Iowa (Iowa is a particular surprise, because it's pretty much an agrarian state) have legalised same sex marriage. It's pretty much a question of when, rather than if, now, right? Can anyone think of a legitimate reason not to support same sex marriage?
    What is?
  • SpaceDave3000 8 Apr 2009 13:43:58 78,392 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gay people have just as much right to be as unhappy as everyone else.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Spin_Dr_Wolf 8 Apr 2009 13:44:23 6,170 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    To be honest I can't think of any rights that heterosexual married couples have that same-sex civil partners don't.
    To argue about the toilet seat until they are both blue in the face ?
  • JuanKerr 8 Apr 2009 13:44:36 36,295 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd like to hear bengali's take on this.
  • Deleted user 8 April 2009 13:45:03
    It's hardly a cop out. They have been given the exact same rights and responsibilities and all the gov has had to do to keep any people who question it happy is slap another title on it. Pretty reasonable solution.
  • PES_Fanboy 8 Apr 2009 13:45:23 16,960 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Kissing in a council estate? Well, same-sex civil partners could try it, I suppose.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Apr 2009 13:48:36 24,822 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CitizenGeek wrote:
    That Civil Partnership stuff in the UK is a cop-out though. "Separate but equal" is a hideous concept, and that's exactly what it is. As long as the state calls it marriage, then gays and straight people should have access to it.

It's not a cop-out at all though, homosexual civil partners have exactly the same rights as a married couple - inheritence, benefits etc - and the only difference is the name. Yeah I agree that it's that last stumbling block that will in time be removed, but to call it a cop-out is wrong.

What more do you want? All you can get is the name changed.

• StarchildHypocrethes 8 Apr 2009 13:59:59 26,134 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Homosexuals can't swim, they attract enemy radar, they attract sharks, they nudge people when they're trying to shoot, they always insist on sitting at The Captain's Table, they muck about. Imagine the fear when you go to sleep with a gay man on board and think "Oh God, when I wake up, will everyone be dead?" You can't run a ship like that.
  • Page

of 31 First / Last

Previous