Dual Shock 3 Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Goban 29 Mar 2009 21:28:14 9,051 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Two generations of black controller, ffs Sony, at least MS and Nintendo have the balls to change the colour.
  • Benno 29 Mar 2009 22:06:47 9,759 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Theres nothing wrong with black you racists

I like the PS3 controller, its good for socom anyway

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• Goban 29 Mar 2009 22:10:37 9,051 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't actually used one, has it got the same nasty textured convex tops to the sticks? If so then it sucks.
  • Goban 29 Mar 2009 22:23:18 9,051 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really??? All is forgiven Sony :)
  • Slabbathepave 29 Mar 2009 23:45:44 488 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Theres nothing wrong with black you racists

I like the PS3 controller, its good for socom anyway

Hot chocolate love!!! I got jungle fever!!!

Vanilla is fo crackers!!
  • Buztafen 30 Mar 2009 10:13:41 16,059 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Both pads are ok imo, tho DS3 triggers should be more like the 360 triggers (eg concaved not convexed), the 360 dpad should be completely overhauled (i pressed left not down you piece of shit!).....oh and my right trigger on the 360 pad needs to stop squeaking before i assault it with a 14lb lump hammer!
  • Buztafen 30 Mar 2009 10:14:32 16,059 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Goban: You can buy white ones of the DS3 you know.

And theyre cheaper too!! :) Well they were.....
  • Feanor 30 Mar 2009 14:46:51 14,049 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For Pro Evo, nothing beats an original Dual Shock ( even though I'm very comfortbale playing the PC versions with my 360 pad now.) The non-pressure sensitive buttons are perfect for it.

I was so disappointed when the X button died on the Dual Shock I bought to play PES 6 on the PS2.
  • offside5 1 Apr 2009 11:30:34 140 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I find the sticks are nowhere near as good as the xbox controller in terms of aiming in fps but the dpad is better. I think there is a big price difference between the dual shock and the xbox wireless controller
  • DiscoMonkey 1 Apr 2009 11:53:22 150 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    ...I had the misfortune of trying out his Dual Shocks...

Interesting, is this just the latest dual shock, or have you never used a PS2 of PS1?

I take it you're new to gaming and this isn't just baiting.
    Still a valid point I feel was worth making.

btw. the 360's on power button sux! PS3 is far superior
  • Deleted user 1 April 2009 11:54:22
    For driving games I find the dualshock has more "travel"?
    Maybe it's just me, but I can be more precise with the playstation controller, the 360 one doesn't have the delicate touch.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2009 11:57:05
    The face buttons on the 360 pad are pish, the equivalent or the R1 and L1 buttons are horrendously bad and it weighs bascially the same as a DS3 when you take the super hi-tech batteries out of it.

Basically it's whatever pad you're used to playing with.

As for the "I have big hands and need the ever so slightly, if even, larger 360 controller so the DS3 is shit" argument... one word to that; bollocks.

Good point discomonkey, unless he's six or has been in a coma for the last 12 or so years there is no way he has went his entire life without using a DS before.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2009 12:05:55
    Does someone know if the distance the analogue sticks travel from left-to-right is greater on PS3?
    Maybe it's just Forza 2 but it's hard to turn a very small amount, like you can do with the PS controller.
    Formula 1 CE, Ferrari Challenge and all the PS2 driving games worked amazingly well with the sixaxis, I could drive on the outside lane of an oval all the way round, but with Forza 2 on 360 it's horrible.
    It doesn't respond to my delicate inputs, and I have to do the tappy-tappy thing as if I'm using a d-pad if I want to gently coax the car off the striaght path.
    It's ok whaen you turn a medium amount, just not for finely-tuned directional adjustments.
  • figgis 1 Apr 2009 12:07:11 7,383 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Both pads are easy to use and work well,but the Wii's controls for 'normal'(stick and button) games annoy me. You have to have at least one wiggle somewere.
  • solidSnake04 1 Apr 2009 12:13:44 177 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the DualShock 2 is the best controller.
    Sony could have improved on it by putting 360 pad style triggers on it, and not by putting those overly long analogue sticks and dodgy motion sensing.
    PS: does the 360 pad has a name ????
  • Deleted user 1 April 2009 12:15:53
    Maybe it's the long sticks that enable greater analogue range/travel, thereby make driving games a joy.
  • DiscoMonkey 1 Apr 2009 12:20:13 150 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    maybe it's short fingers
  • Retroid Moderator 1 Apr 2009 12:28:28 44,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    El-Dev wrote:
    Good point discomonkey, unless he's six or has been in a coma for the last 12 or so years there is no way he has went his entire life without using a DS before.
    I only bothered getting a PS1 around the launch of the PS2 (PC and older consoles up until then), and the PS2 wasn't my primary console of the last generation anyway.

:p
  • Retroid Moderator 1 Apr 2009 12:29:04 44,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    solidSnake04 wrote:
    Yes: Barry Triggerhappyracer
  • Deleted user 1 April 2009 12:31:23
    Retroid, so you you still have used a dualshock in the past?

:;;';;.//.;;(no good with these smileys, so that means "ha I'm right!")
  • Retroid Moderator 1 Apr 2009 12:39:46 44,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have, yes. And not particularily liked them, although they've always been usable. And as I've said before, at least they didn't keep the two sets of shoulder buttons the same size for too long :)

Most arguements I've seen on the 'net about controllers seem to have been from people who only ever used the PS1 onwards and hate anything different from the DualShock design. Less so these days since the Sony brand isn't as all-powerful as it was, of course.
  • solidSnake04 1 Apr 2009 12:42:04 177 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    solidSnake04 wrote:
    Yes: Barry Triggerhappyracer

but of course, makes a lot of sense ;)
  • Widge Moderator 1 Apr 2009 12:49:45 13,246 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think nowadays its more of a case of "whatever you are used to". As I said I found the old xb pad way better than the DS2. Having used the DS3 and getting a go on a 360, the difference is minimal at best. Its down to dpad (which I've not used on a 360 so not commenting), triggers and stick placement for what you like.

I now prefer my walk controls to be level with my look controls, it just makes sense for me.

The wii is the most alien control system I've had a go on, it feels bizarre having two things on the go. I'd get used to it.

As for PC, well I find myself resting with my fingers on WASD at work!

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 1 April 2009 12:56:16
    Retroid wrote:
    I have, yes. And not particularily liked them, although they've always been usable. And as I've said before, at least they didn't keep the two sets of shoulder buttons the same size for too long :)

Most arguements I've seen on the 'net about controllers seem to have been from people who only ever used the PS1 onwards and hate anything different from the DualShock design. Less so these days since the Sony brand isn't as all-powerful as it was, of course.

People do love having a dig at Sony for no real reason though, probably why this thread was started in the first place.

I for one am glad Sony haven't changed their controller over the years, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and with them selling over 260m consoles it appears quite a few people like their controller design.
  • phAge 1 Apr 2009 13:00:10 24,336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought (and think) that it was fucking shit.

That's a reason.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2009 13:11:11
    I have a sneaky suspicion that even if the DS was the greatest controller ever made you still would have thought (and think) that it's fucking shite.

It's the nature of being a fanboy.
  • Retroid Moderator 1 Apr 2009 13:14:41 44,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    El-Dev wrote:
    I for one am glad Sony haven't changed their controller over the years, if it ain't broke don't fix it
    It is broken.

The primary controls for a lot of games are the left analogue stick and the face button diamond, with the index fingers free for triggers. Makes sense for the primary analogue and the face buttons to be level, which they're not on the Sony controllers.

It's not a dealbreaker for me, it's usable, it's just the higher-up analgoe stick has made sense to me since the Saturn analogue pad.
    and with them selling over 260m consoles it appears quite a few people like their controller design.
    Over 30 million people used to tune in to watch Coronation Street, which proves that it was the best program available to watch on TV :)
  • phAge 1 Apr 2009 13:15:49 24,336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @El-Dev:

That's not really an argument, is it?

OTOH, I have a sneaking suspicion that even if the DS was in the shape of a dildo, weighed 500 lbs. and administered fatal elecrtic shocks at random intervals, you'd still think it was "pretty good".

Weird, eh?
  • DiscoMonkey 1 Apr 2009 13:20:46 150 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    ... The primary controls for a lot of games are the left analogue stick and the face button diamond, with the index fingers free for triggers. Makes sense for the primary analogue and the face buttons to be level, which they're not on the Sony controllers...

FPS is stick and stick so no and a lot or people drive with buttons and buttons so no again.

which gives you third person games, which I can honestly say, the configuration doesn't effect my zombie burning skills.
  • patch 1 Apr 2009 13:23:28 543 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gioteck Real Triggers, not got any myself, but I hear they're pretty good. And you're all wrong, the SNES joypad is the best controller ever made, closely followed by the Competiton Pro joystick.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last