Dual Shock 3 Page 5

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• drip 8 Jun 2013 17:09:57 4,570 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:

edit: looked it up, and they use it not for drones, but for small spying planes, which are in principle simple RC planes. Drones are huge, massive things capable of firing rockets, nothing to do with those.
    That's still stupid. Flying controls are universally terrible in console games.
    It is, but it's not far from a remote control of an RC plane.
  • mikew1985 8 Jun 2013 17:19:32 12,972 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I really struggle to see why a controller would be better if it was heavier. It's like saying a phone is better because it's heavier, or 30fps being better than 60fps because control response is more sluggish. And of course, the DS3 is far from being lightweight.

Weight is one of the many points where the Wii's Classic Controller Pro excels, you hardly feel you've got a controller in your hands. Just your fingers and the game.
    Ok we're not going to agree on this, it's well established that lightest does not always equal best. One of the few reasons Samsung handsets are often criticised is the relatively cheap and lightweight build materials they use in comparison to other high end smart phones.

I'll leave it at that, you're clearly bizarrely in love with the DS3. To each their own.
  • drip 8 Jun 2013 17:26:49 4,570 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lighter doesn't always equal best, but if it provides equal (or better, in the case of DS3) performance, it is better. The problem with Samsung phones isn't that they're too light, there's next to no difference to many other high-end phones, it's their use of cheap shiny plastic. If the X360 controller was heavier because it used better materials, that would be a point, but it doesn't.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:30:59 08-06-2013
  • PenguinJim 8 Jun 2013 17:29:20 5,943 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I'm not sure you guys understand the definition of hard facts.

@mikew1985

"There's a reason I use a 360 controller on my pc and is got nothing to do with misconception."

There's a reason why I do that too, and that's because it's supported by Windows and the DS3 isn't. Getting a bluetooth stick now though and trying to connect my DS3 to PC via third-party software. Tired of using an inferior controller.

edit: of course I should have cited PC connectivity as a unique feature of the X360 controller. It'd be 7:2 then.
    But the DS3 has brilliant Android connectivity compared to the hoops required of M$' controller. 8:2.

And the name Dual Shock, compared to... Controller!? 9:2

And it's been shown by science that we find symmetrical faces more attractive, making the DS3 objectively, scientifically better-looking than the 360 controller. 10:2

Not sure why M$ even bothered, tbh. Their little tricks like not including Bluetooth support in Windows just to stop Sony controllers from working really does their true colours, too.
  • mikew1985 8 Jun 2013 18:51:46 12,972 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Lighter doesn't always equal best, but if it provides equal (or better, in the case of DS3) performance, it is better. The problem with Samsung phones isn't that they're too light, there's next to no difference to many other high-end phones, it's their use of cheap shiny plastic. If the X360 controller was heavier because it used better materials, that would be a point, but it doesn't.
    Like I said we're not going to agree and your stance is not that of someone open to discussion, you seem to think you're dealing in facts when you are dealing very much in opinion presented as fact.
  • dominalien 8 Jun 2013 18:56:00 7,027 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Something being too light or too heavy is not an objective fact and can be a negative factor if it bothers an individual. Generally, something being light is a good thing, as there's that much less chance of fatigue settling in, but being used to a heavier object may negate that advantage or even cause a feeling of discomfort. So whatever suits you best is best. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• dominalien 8 Jun 2013 19:00:38 7,027 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, the good doctor's input here is very close to ranting and doesn't seem very sensible. Odd, as he usually strikes me as a reasonable fellow.

I personally don't believe the DS3 and the 360 controllers to be vastly different in quality. It's a bit like if I drink Coke after I'd been drinking Pepsi and I don't like it, but then as I get used to Coke and I take a sip of Pepsi I now prefer the former. Or like getting into a new car where everything seems awkward and then getting out, walking around for a bit, getting in again and suddenly everything fits.

All imo, obv.

• StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jun 2013 19:00:46 26,316 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The DS3 is pants due to its awful triggers and a design that allows my thumbs to bang together if strafing right whilst turning left.
  • drip 8 Jun 2013 19:17:04 4,570 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:

you are dealing very much in opinion presented as fact.
    I'm not sure I understand the difference
  • kinky_mong 8 Jun 2013 19:34:09 10,690 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Daily Mail-style opinionated mob rule claims the X360 controller is far superior to the DS3, but a strict point-by-point analysis shows that this is actually a misconception based only on strong emotions, the source of which would make for an interesting psychological/sociological analysis itself.

General comfort: X360 is good, but DS3 wins
    Face buttons: tie
    Thumbsticks: Clear victory for DS3
    Shoulder buttons/bumpers: DS3
    Triggers: X360 is pretty good, but DS3 has the edge
    D-pad: DS3 obviously wins, difference as night and day
    Unique features: DS3 has a built-in battery, Sixaxis motion control, and analogue face buttons. The latter two are utterly useless, but the battery gives the DS3 another point. X360 has a headset socket, but that's a minor feature used by few, and you can easily use a wireless headset instead.

Final result: DS3 wins 7:1.

As you can see, objectively there can be no argument. Based on hard facts, the DS3 is clearly better. I hope this settles this matter once and for all, although I do have some doubts. Humans tend to believe in what they want to believe no matter the facts.
    I don't see anything objective about that analysis at all. Especially regarding the triggers and thumbsticks, which are definitely better on the 360 controller. FACT.

Edited by kinky_mong at 19:40:21 08-06-2013

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 8 June 2013 19:35:42
    Opinion is subjective and very much to personal taste. Nobody is right. Fact is undesputable, one right answer.
  • drip 8 Jun 2013 19:36:37 4,570 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Also, the good doctor's input here is very close to ranting and doesn't seem very sensible. Odd, as he usually strikes me as a reasonable fellow.

I personally don't believe the DS3 and the 360 controllers to be vastly different in quality.
    Thanks, but sometimes ranting requires counter-ranting. Again, the X360 is a great controller, but most of the internet says the X360 is like Jesus bumming a chocolate cake, while using the DS3 is like being trapped in a giant spider cave and being forced to feed on centipedes.

I do think the DS3 is superior in very most regards, and I do think it was an appropriate response, even if I may have slightly exaggerated my self-righteousness.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 19:41:08 08-06-2013
  • Lethally-Obese 8 Jun 2013 19:43:14 69 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I personally only had trouble with it when I was playing Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. I kept losing grip on the triggers. Though the Dpad is much nicer on the PS3 controller, but there were 360 controllers with an 8 way Dpad which worked really, really nicely.
  • dominalien 8 Jun 2013 20:09:39 7,027 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    I feel Sony missed a trick with the PS4 pad. Why not make the whole thing multi-touch with different button layout depending on the type of game.
    Sorry, but that would be the stupidest thing ever, at least as far as controllers are concerned.

I don't buy a console to have to look at the controller to see whether I'm pressing in the correct place. It's hard enough on a tablet, where I'm touching the same bloody screen I'm looking at anyway.

• drip 8 Jun 2013 22:03:34 4,570 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Exactly.
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Jun 2013 22:13:21 8,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DPad: PS3
    Triggers: 360
    Sticks: 360
    Comfort: 360
    Weight / robustness: 360
    L1/R1: PS3
    Buttons: 360 (as slightly closer together)
    Battery: PS3
    Layout: 360
    Cable: 360
  • RedSparrows 9 Jun 2013 18:05:59 23,854 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The 360 pad is so much better. It's actually the main thing that puts me off the idea of the PS4 - the controller is just shite in comparison.
  • PazJohnMitch 9 Jun 2013 18:26:56 8,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am hoping those razor guys will make a high end PS4 controller which is reasonably close to the 360 design,
  • dominalien 9 Jun 2013 22:12:20 7,027 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Razer" and "high end"? Does not compute.

• Disent 10 Jun 2013 08:22:28 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    What a disappointment.

- MMOKnight

Edited by Disent at 10:35:23 07-07-2013
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Jun 2013 08:26:18 39,282 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Disent wrote:
    What a disappointment.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure your mother loves you regardless.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• dominalien 10 Jun 2013 08:28:30 7,027 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This one will start spamming soon, no?

• MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Jun 2013 08:30:35 39,282 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maybe. I can't check at the moment, so I'm just keeping an eye out.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• chessboxer 10 Jun 2013 22:45:54 250 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can someone explain how the asymmetrical stick placement on the 360 controller makes it better for FPSs than the symmetrical placement on the DS3 because I don't get it...
  • Deleted user 10 June 2013 23:00:17
    RedSparrows wrote:
    The 360 pad is so much better. It's actually the main thing that puts me off the idea of the PS4 - the controller is just shite in comparison.
    Agreed. If I do get a PS4, I'm going to get a Madcatz controller like I did with the PS3. You can even get a 360 controller working on a PS3 :)

The PS4 controllers looks a bit meh to me.

Edited by SG59 at 23:05:38 10-06-2013
  • Page

of 7 First / Last