Buy your Wii Points before 3rd April... Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Sean.Aaron 27 Mar 2009 18:54:00 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought all they had to do was repackage some bathroom scales to do that?
  • Sean.Aaron 27 Mar 2009 19:01:51 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just went on XE: 100 buys you 14026 or US$143 -- of course that's wholesale and an average, so if 1000 does go to 14.99 that's roughly parity across all three currencies, isn't it (someone correct my maths if necessary)?

Assuming this goes through Nintendo seems to think the pound shouldn't be worth more than the dollar and since the pound is already practically at parity with the euro it would follow that they should get the same treatment, but this implies that Nintendo considers itself the ultimate arbiter of the relative buying power of these currencies. Should we just all adopt the euro globally and put an end to this?

• ecu 27 Mar 2009 19:06:22 77,310 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's there a more cuntish company out there than Nintendo? They've been ripping people off for years (70n64gameslol), yet people still see them as the white knight, fighting against the evil Sony and Microsoft. Miyamoto might as well just shit in a cardbox box, put Nintendo's logo on it and charge 200 for it, and people would still fucking love them, and they'd buy it in droves.
  • Deleted user 27 March 2009 19:07:39
    I checked Amazon Germany and 2000 Nintendo Points are 20,97 there.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter?amt=1&from=gbp&to=eur&submit=convert#from=EUR;to=GBP;amt=20.97

Amazon.com 2000 Nintendo Points $24.99

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter?amt=1&from=gbp&to=eur&submit=convert#from=USD;to=GBP;amt=24.99
  • Der_tolle_Emil 27 Mar 2009 19:12:43 7,301 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    They've been ripping people off for years (70n64gameslol),

200NeoGeogameslol
  • silentbob 27 Mar 2009 19:17:44 29,026 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't mind when I regarded them the ultimate gods of originality in the sphere of gaming. I'd pay over the odds quite happily.

But when they start charging yet more for their old rope which itself began everpriced I do wonder where the company I once idolised has gone. Or at the very least, what is left?

Which I think, is probably at the root of so called hardcore gamer's apathy and in some cases outright hatred towards the big 'N'. Simply that those of us that grew up with them feel completely betrayed. Like if you find out your favourite uncle is a kiddly fiddler.

...or you know, perhaps not.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• smelly 27 Mar 2009 19:47:58 96 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thing i dont get about this is everyone keeps quoting exchange rates. But the pound verses the yen has dropped by almost a half - if you just worked on exchange rates alone compared to when the wii launched - 1000 points should cost near to 15 quid now.

its not nintendos fault that the english economy is screwed because the government is printing money causing massive inflation.. Blame gordon brown.

This wont be the last thing we see go up in price (especially from people importing).

The only positive is that microsoft wont need to raise their prices any time soon as the american economy is just as screwed. But I dont see sony lowering their prices any time soon (considering they're already in effect selling the ps3 at half price thanks to the exchange rates)
  • BartonFink 27 Mar 2009 19:49:04 35,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's there a more cuntish company out there than Nintendo? They've been ripping people off for years (70n64gameslol), yet people still see them as the white knight, fighting against the evil Sony and Microsoft. Miyamoto might as well just shit in a cardbox box, put Nintendo's logo on it and charge 200 for it, and people would still fucking love them, and they'd buy it in droves.
    In gaming? I don't think so. They are simply a shower of cunts. With the most cuntish of those being NOE.
    When they, as muteroberto said, were regarded as being the ultimate gods of originality they could be forgiven for being cunts but now however they are just cunts. Overpriced console, overpriced games, and overpriced DLC. However it really shouldn't come as a shock or surprise to anybody they have always been this way.
  • Kay 27 Mar 2009 20:02:14 17,966 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All this exchange rate talk is baffling me. 2000 points used to cost 14, now they cost 25. That's eleven fucking quid! How can anyone justify that?

Not to mention that a) the Wii console price is also being increased, and b) Nintendo haven't exactly been short on money these past few years.
  • neonemesis 27 Mar 2009 20:09:38 1,640 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    They've been ripping people off for years (70n64gameslol),

200NeoGeogameslol

NeoGeo games are actually good though :)

You'd have to be Nintendo to afford them though.
  • JuanKerr 27 Mar 2009 20:11:03 36,445 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Weren't most NeoGeo games just crazy variations of Street Fighter 2 with giant sprites and ludicrous special moves?

/is ignorant
  • Machetazo 27 Mar 2009 20:29:15 6,372 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:Miyamoto might as well just shit in a cardbox box, put Nintendo's logo on it and charge 200 for it, and people would still fucking love them, and they'd buy it in droves.
    You forgot a critical element: the seal of quality. Everyone knows better than to buy any Nintendo shit that doesn't feature that on the box. It would be disastrous otherwise.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 27 Mar 2009 20:35:16 7,301 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Weren't most NeoGeo games just crazy variations of Street Fighter 2 with giant sprites and ludicrous special moves?

/is ignorant

Pretty much. But it also had the excellent Metal Slug series.

I'm not really up to speed as to what we are actually discussing here. So Nintendo are definitely increasing the price of Wii points early April?

If that means that points in the UK are just as expensive as everywhere else I think that is exactly why Nintendo used points in the first place.

If Nintendo increased the RRP of the console I'm not surprised to see them raise the price of points as well. If I had to pay 50% more (Maybe I do, no idea) I'd be pissed as well but as someone not living in the UK I can understand. Video games in general have been so much cheaper in the UK than they have been in other western European countries and now with the weak pound they are sometimes as low as a third of the price I have to pay here. Even with a 50% price increase things will still be cheaper. I don't necessarily support Nintendo's decision but I can very well understand it. Then again I am also pro EU and never understood why some countries still refuse to introduce the Euro when it's really obvious that keeping on to the old currency harms the economy.
  • tardo 27 Mar 2009 20:40:12 261 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, awful price. Most other sites still have them at the normal cheaper price though. Have ordered a couple now just in case, but they shall tide me over for a good while I think.
  • neonemesis 27 Mar 2009 20:43:26 1,640 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:

/is ignorant

It was the arcade-perfect graphics in the home that was the big draw but yes, most famous NeoGeo games were fighters. Some of the earlier ones are clunky and evilly tough by today's standards but the later games such as Garou and Last Blade are regarded as some of the best fighters of all time.

The machine didn't die until 2003 btw which is a huge lifespan.

My favourite NeoGeo games are World Heroes Perfect, KOF 96 and KOF 2000. Obviously I don't have the real NG carts, I just use the ports and compilations like most people.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 27 Mar 2009 20:46:34 10,861 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For those who actually want to stock up on a couple instead of bitch long into the night, this place is doing 2000 for a decent price. Never heard of them but hey, worth a punt if I fancy getting a few more WiiWare titles this year.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 27 Mar 2009 20:51:17 10,861 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, they deserve a bit of a kicking over their current pricing strategy but I also seem to recall Sony doing something similar when PS2 was kicking everyone's arses.

The leading company always fucks everyone over. Never changes.
  • Sean.Aaron 28 Mar 2009 08:39:48 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:Never changes.

Just like people bitching about Nintendo ;-).

Until I see direct evidence of this price rise beyond a few retailers (which doesn't matter because unless someone has a major discount I never buy the cards) I'm not getting upset. Even if they do jack it up, I'll just have to suck it up in the end and be more selective; maybe stop pre-ordering and wait for prices to drop post-launch. Not exactly something I'm going to write to my MP about is it?

If it's exchange rate-related then fine, but I think it would be better to phase in such a price rise rather than implement a massive increase.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2009 11:00:53
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

/is ignorant

So does the Wii... for cheaper.
    /has his stupid gloating face smashed in by a hadouken.

There is one clear and unimpeachable argument for this price rise - Nintendo will please its shareholders with it. Whether Nintendo will keep pleasing its audience is a point for the future to show.

All I hope is that they take this extra money and do something really amazing with it. For example:
    * A new Zelda which makes all the bosses into your childhood enemies so you can kick their arses for stealing your Amiga Power mags off you in the toilets
    * A Mario game which shoots little fireworks out the disc slot when you win a level to totally show that you totally rock
    * A game that combines all of Miyamoto's obsessions, gardening and music and all that, in one massive behemoth of non-gaming 'fun'. It could be called Shigsy Retires To The Mental Home, and be lots of wagglicious mini games about pulling up weeds and making guitars out of them.

Oh, I'd also like to see Nintendo commit NOW to a Rock 'n' Roll Climber with different musical styles. R'n'B Climber NOW please Nintendo NAOW 'NOA'W NAOW.
  • michaelius 28 Mar 2009 11:06:12 809 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    All this exchange rate talk is baffling me. 2000 points used to cost 14, now they cost 25. That's eleven fucking quid! How can anyone justify that?

Not to mention that a) the Wii console price is also being increased, and b) Nintendo haven't exactly been short on money these past few years.

Unfortunatly due to bad exchange ratio they weren't capable of keeping their 100% profit margins so they had to increase price :D

Really when i see Sony is profitable with ps2 and then see Wii at 2,5 times the price of PS2 my only thought is WTF.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2009 11:12:17
    michaelius wrote:
    Really when i see Sony is profitable with ps2 and then see Wii at 2,5 times the price of PS2 my only thought is WTF.

Yeah, I don't see how Sony make enough of a profit margin on the PS2 at all!
  • StringBeanJean 28 Mar 2009 13:42:59 1,787 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So. Any word on the bastards stopping you stockpiling points? I intend to purchase a shiteload of points tonight in anticipation of this ludicrous rise.
  • GrandpaUlrira 28 Mar 2009 14:33:42 3,752 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not really sure what's going on here... will the 800 Wii points I already have still buy me the same amount of stuff after 3rd April? Or will they be converted into these Nintendo points?
  • Sean.Aaron 28 Mar 2009 15:54:30 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I cannot see how points stockpiling would be impacted. There's no way they're going to invalidate unused cards (even your Club Stars are good for 24mos.) and little sign of game prices increasing in terms of points numbers.

The only limit on stockpiling is that you cannot have more than 10000 points in your account at one time. I've been carrying between 800 and 3000 for weeks on both systems.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 28 Mar 2009 15:54:46 10,861 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StringBeanJean wrote:
    So. Any word on the bastards stopping you stockpiling points? I intend to purchase a shiteload of points tonight in anticipation of this ludicrous rise.
    Well, clearly you don't hate them that much if you're wishing to stockpile "a shiteload of points" ;o)

And, no, there won't be any restriction on you stockpiling points. The only downside is you will have to keep them in card form until you need them, as you can only upload upto 10,000 points as a maximum on your account.

GrandpaUlrira wrote:
    I'm not really sure what's going on here... will the 800 Wii points I already have still buy me the same amount of stuff after 3rd April? Or will they be converted into these Nintendo points?
    Nah, it's just your basic bunch of angsty males sounding off about a company finding ways of making even more money.

No change to the actual points other than a rebranding and increase in the RRP.
  • Sean.Aaron 28 Mar 2009 17:13:23 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think we should start an online petition to protest!
  • Kay 28 Mar 2009 17:20:35 17,966 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    No change to the actual points other than a rebranding and increase in the RRP.

A massive increase in the RRP.

As for the stockpiling issue, I've already got a 1500 points card which I bought ages ago (when Zavvi had their offer) and haven't even opened. I also bought 2 of those 3000 point cards the other day when Amazon had them at the special 'discount' price. No point in having a bunch of points stored on your account if you're not going to use them - at least this way I can sell them on if I decide that there is nothing of interest on WiiWare/VC.
  • silentbob 28 Mar 2009 17:31:57 29,026 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stompy wrote:
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

/is ignorant

So does the Wii... for cheaper.
    /has his stupid gloating face smashed in by a hadouken.

There is one clear and unimpeachable argument for this price rise - Nintendo will please its shareholders with it. Whether Nintendo will keep pleasing its audience is a point for the future to show.

All I hope is that they take this extra money and do something really amazing with it. For example:
    * A new Zelda which makes all the bosses into your childhood enemies so you can kick their arses for stealing your Amiga Power mags off you in the toilets
    * A Mario game which shoots little fireworks out the disc slot when you win a level to totally show that you totally rock
    * A game that combines all of Miyamoto's obsessions, gardening and music and all that, in one massive behemoth of non-gaming 'fun'. It could be called Shigsy Retires To The Mental Home, and be lots of wagglicious mini games about pulling up weeds and making guitars out of them.

Oh, I'd also like to see Nintendo commit NOW to a Rock 'n' Roll Climber with different musical styles. R'n'B Climber NOW please Nintendo NAOW 'NOA'W NAOW.
    It's like Stevas went travelling, got buttfucked by Triads, became transgender and then returned even less funny than when he left.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Sean.Aaron 29 Mar 2009 10:50:45 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh the fucking irony if this price rise does come through and the price only rises in Europa. I just bought bought 3000 points through the Japanese Nintendo shop for 21.50.

So, that will make MD games at 600 versus our 800 points even cheaper; Japanese VCA titles will be about the same price even though 800 points more.

Guess I'll be spending less in the PAL Wii shop than I was already -- unless they're planning to jack the price in Japan as well?
  • Page

of 6 First / Last