That does look stunning.
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Mar 2009 23:28:15 35,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, this looks really promising.
  • Metalfish 26 Mar 2009 23:29:42 8,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretty, but all that stuff seems to serve no purpose whatsoever for the gameplay
  • FWB 26 Mar 2009 23:31:26 41,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow. Italy here I come!

Wonder if the terrain/environment has any gameplay value or is just for show.
  • Whizzo 26 Mar 2009 23:32:00 42,760 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks rather better than the average hex based game.

This space left intentionally blank.

• FWB 26 Mar 2009 23:35:24 41,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Doesn't seem to matter whatsoever as the tanks just drive through the trees and nothing happens.

Yeah, that was my second thought after seeing the scale. Looks like a fancy graphical version of Matrix's Airbone Assault series. But the terrain in that actually matters.
  • urban 26 Mar 2009 23:35:31 10,893 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    core i7....bugger off i'm just about to get a core 2 duo you european technological genius bastard
  • neilka 26 Mar 2009 23:37:10 14,942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RUSE ACTIONS
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Mar 2009 23:40:07 35,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    Pretty, but all that stuff seems to serve no purpose whatsoever for the gameplay

I guess the scale will matter. You could have a continuous campaign on the same map, for example, with different long-term plans, rather than the strictly mission-based nature of RTS games. The prettyness won't matter, but then you could argue that you could just as well play Company of Heroes with ASCII graphics without losing much gameplay. :)
  • FWB 26 Mar 2009 23:41:33 41,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ta for that link. Still, doesn't slow them down and I wonder if it has any combat value. Easy/difficult targets? Nooo.... I want hardcore stats. Why can't they make something like this for a proper wargame?

I should shut up and just enjoy the purdy graphics. :)
  • Metalfish 26 Mar 2009 23:42:29 8,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, but the tanks don't physically change size depending on your zoom level in CoH, :)
  • MrCarrot 26 Mar 2009 23:44:28 3,516 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    Yeah, but the tanks don't physically change size depending on your zoom level in CoH, :)

Looks preferable to the way SupCom handled zooming out with everything turning into tiny little icons, though.
  • MrCarrot 26 Mar 2009 23:45:14 3,516 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But, yeah, the map itself didn't really look any bigger than Supcom's were.
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Mar 2009 23:46:29 35,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think they're meant to really change size physically. ;)

/zooms out fastest to get the biggest monster tank for instawin

• MrCarrot 26 Mar 2009 23:48:14 3,516 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And what's with the matrix-esque overlays when you zoom out and when he used that deycryption ruse? Are they pulling some assassin's creed, genetic memory crap again?
  • FWB 26 Mar 2009 23:48:33 41,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's WW2. It's automatically better than Supcom. And the demo map is Italy and Monte Cassino that means Poles climbing up hills. \o/

Shit name though.
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Mar 2009 23:50:03 35,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's been a bit more info on RPS the other day.

It's meant to be less about micro-management, and more about your general tactics, so scale aside, it doesn't sound a lot like SupCom.
  • FWB 26 Mar 2009 23:52:13 41,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    There's been a bit more info on RPS the other day.

It's meant to be less about micro-management, and more about your general tactics, so scale aside, it doesn't sound a lot like SupCom.

So strategy game with fancy graphics.
  • Phattso Moderator 26 Mar 2009 23:52:55 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was going to say - it looked very much a grand strategy game, rather than some micromanagement bollocks (which Dawn of War 2 made me realise I'm no longer interested in).

This wasn't even on my radar, but that video has got me quite interested.
  • FWB 26 Mar 2009 23:59:39 41,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I agree with that. If it's just going to be pushing units around then there's no point. Needs to be more to it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Mar 2009 23:59:44 35,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Phattso: I saw Dawn of War 2 more like an action-RPG, really. Point/click interface to move, fight mobs while activating special abilities. It felt more like Diablo (and I don't mean the item drops) than like Company of Heroes to me, how I played it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 27 Mar 2009 00:03:17 35,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Yeah, I agree with that. If it's just going to be pushing units around then there's no point. Needs to be more to it.

Well, there are the ruse mechanics, for example.

I see where you two are coming from, but I am finding it a bit early to write it off so completely as you seem to do.

Take the Total War games - there's not nearly as much micromanagement as in Starcraft, or Company of Heroes. You're mostly pushing units around, as you just put it.
  • Phattso Moderator 27 Mar 2009 00:03:31 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aye, UncleLou, I understand the single player is like that - I only played the Multiplayer Beta however. When I get some spare time I might pick up DoWII.

I'm a big fan of grand strategy games, a genre I used to play to death back in the Amiga days. I was a bit of an hex-based nerd for a little while there, before I discovered women and booze and such. RUSE looks good enough that people might mistake it for something less nerdy, so I can get my fix again.
  • Phattso Moderator 27 Mar 2009 00:05:33 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:

I disagree. Even the casual end of the board game spectrum with something like Risk retains an enjoyable strategic and tactical edge. For people that like the genre, of course.

If folks just want swarms of units and pyrotechnics then I'd say they're more than adequately served elsewhere. I'll be happy if RUSE turns out to bedifferent.
  • FWB 27 Mar 2009 00:08:37 41,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a personal preference. I know some will still play it - hell I probably would too. But ideally I'd want something more. Might as play one of the many similar games that have come before.

Won't dismiss right now. Far too early, but aside from the nice graphics that video shows nothing new gameplay wise.

Total War has the campaign behind it. That's the logistic element and has a direct impact on the battlefield.
  • faux_carnation 27 Mar 2009 00:11:24 8,491 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:

Personally, I'd love a tabletop wargaming sim. It could use the pretty graphics, but also be turn based and involve dice :D
  • Phattso Moderator 27 Mar 2009 00:12:00 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    It's a personal preference. I know some will still play it. I'd want something more though. Might as play one of the many similar games that have come before.

Won't dismiss right now. Far too early.

I don't see your point? If you prefer RTS games like the Starcrafts (a favourite of mine), or Company of Heroes etc. then that's cool.

But I don't get "might as well play one of the many similar games that have come before" comment at all. Does that not apply to every game ever made? :)

If this is grand strategy in the tradition of board games, table top wargames, and such then that will be great. Wishing it to be more like CoH et al is weird - like wishing Halo were a puzzle game.
  • Phattso Moderator 27 Mar 2009 00:13:11 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not that any of us really know how it plays at this stage anyway, of course. And, much as I hate to agree with Chief Reactionary Tucker, it being Ubisoft I'm not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt easily. :)
  • FWB 27 Mar 2009 00:13:25 41,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    FWB wrote:

Personally, I'd love a tabletop wargaming sim. It could use the pretty graphics, but also be turn based and involve dice :D

A sim on playing a wargaming sim? Control the players controlling the game. Like that WoW player sim. :)

But yeah, I'd second that too. A simplified Hearts of Iron with those graphics.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous