American Conquest. ARGH

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Super-Stu 13 Feb 2003 01:20:18 10 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I win this game aye, which sounds really good. Sounds of the same ilk as Age of Empires and Age of Mythology (all of which I own and ain't too shabby at).

Not really one for single player in these games, I get them merely for some LAN ownage.

So there we are, my cousin and I, whiling away a few nights on 2 player getting to know the game. Aye, like AoE/AoM, only seemingly more detailed. Tidy. Bring on the computer!

So we start a game, both on the same team (Hurons) and set the computer to Easy (Spain) on Islands. Fast forward 2 hours and I'm so fooked off with the relentless attacks that I blow all my buildings up and sarcastically take 20 fish boats over to his base... were upon I cane a good 100 or so troops he had sat on the coast. Meanwhile, my cousin has literally rebuilt the island from 5 men who happened to survive the aftermath. Tidy!..

.. gah, I won't bore you with the details (more than I already have), but suffice to say after 4 hours we were thoroughly cained.

Arses I think, let's go look at his base to se.. WTF! How'd he get all those men and all those buildings etc! Gah. Quit back to the menu to see his stats... 40 peasants. Wha? That can't be right, I'm sure I saw a few... oh, that's peasants who have died. Let's see.. 5000! 5000 fooking peasants. I'm used to like 50 or so in AoE.

Smegging hell, this game is hard. 2 hardened AoE players couldn't out smart easy level :p
  • Errol 13 Feb 2003 09:29:50 12,485 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are you sure that you read the manual before commencing play ?
  • JohnBye 13 Feb 2003 09:32:16 1,127 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, it's probably a bit of a culture shock if you've not played Cossacks before. :) I got wiped out in my first few online games of Cossacks because I foolishly thought that having two or three hundred soldiers and a hundred peasants would be enough. I was sorely mistaken.
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Feb 2003 09:40:33 35,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    lol, the same happened to me, I played the demo recently, and being a seasoned AoE/AoM player as well, I proudly watched my "booming" economy with about 50 peasants. And then the CPU attacked. *cough* My peasants were outnumbered 1:20.

Tried another game and scouted his base early, and the screen was filled with hundreds of peasants, it looked a bit pathetic tbh.

Seems to be a fine game though, give us a few impressions when you've played it a bit more if you like.
  • Errol 13 Feb 2003 09:42:36 12,485 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does the computer cheat ?
  • FWB 13 Feb 2003 13:13:13 44,585 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Errol wrote:
    Does the computer cheat ?

It certainly did in Cossacks. Quite annoying to. I watched my huge army board its transports to go and kick some computer butt only for the transport to suddenly disappear right before my very eyes. Yep, you 'eard. Disappear.

I found Cossacks very hard. I dread to think how I'd fair in American Conquest. Are the maps much bigger, because I remember in Cossacks they could be huge. It could take you ages to across them.
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Feb 2003 13:16:34 35,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The map in the demo was definitely huge as well, compared to any othe RTS I have played. I was shocked when I saw the mini-map and the large territory I had scouted was only a tiny bright spot.
  • Super-Stu 14 Feb 2003 18:43:11 10 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Starting to get a bit better now chaps. Have set the computer not to attack until at least 2 hours heh :D

Getting the grips of using loads of 196 soldier Armies too.

Really like this game :)
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,315 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    lamer

:D

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Page

of 1

Previous Next