Lux-Pain

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • GreasyWeasel 24 Mar 2009 23:38:36 463 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does anyone know anything about this game?

I've just seen a trailer for it over at Gametrailers and it looks like a mix of Phoenix Wright and Persona to me. If it is then it could be great.
  • HiddenAway 24 Mar 2009 23:42:50 14,966 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's being released in Europe this week. I was interested until I consulted metacritic. Nintendo Power magazine gave it a 40/100 :p.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• GreasyWeasel 24 Mar 2009 23:45:23 463 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh dear that doesn't sound good. Pity I'd love a DS game with the same style as Persona 3 or 4.
  • HiddenAway 24 Mar 2009 23:55:07 14,966 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I will admit that it still sounds appealing though. I guess more reviews are required before jumping in.

There's a lower quality but longer trailer here

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• ProfessorLesser 8 Apr 2009 23:01:15 19,408 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Following up another lead from JTN (after Time Hollow), and ignoring the metacritic score, I decided to give this a try.

I started yesterday and I'm puzzled, intrigued and entertained.

As the two previous posters will have noticed, the game can be loosely described an adventure/horror title with relatively atypical, unabrasive anime stylings and a large cast of characters. The story seems pretty fresh, and the intro is very neat and decidedly scary. The game has an insidious air about it.

As far as I can tell, you're mostly forced through the narrative, with little choice of even where to go next. Then again, who ever heard of a non-linear adventure game? And how often do we complain about being stuck for ages in the linear ones because we don't know where to go next or where to click on and are bored of hopping between static backdrops? Problem solved, I guess, and it's not like none of it's interesting enough.

Coupled with the only element of gameplay I have seen so far, though, I can see why it's been getting such bad reviews. Basically, everyone hides their emotions, which you have to unlock using your Lux Pain artefact and the granted power of 'Signum Anima' (soul seal) or 'Sigma', a sort of telepathy. A few different people have this power in different forms - the main character's involves scratching away furiously at the screen within a time limit in order to reveal 'worms' called 'Shinen', which are the manifestation of people's emotions. You can read these once revealed. It's not a problem so far, but I can imagine this getting rather tiring.

I don't think I'll care though, because the story is pulling me in, the characters are all gripping, and, for once, the voice acting is absolutely excellent. I was complaining a while ago about the quality of the voice acting in Suikoden Tierkreis, which some thought was excellent, others thought was ok or standard, while I and a couple of others thought it was abominable. Well, here, ladies and gentlemen, is an example of what I look for in voice acting: confident actors who put the correct emphasis and decent characterisation into their lines. Actors who sound like they've read the whole script, and aren't recording one line a day. Actors who are trying. Personally, I love it just because the voice acting doesn't offend my ears, and I want everyone to play it just so they can see how voice acting can be painless. Not only painless - this game would actually suffer for lack of it. It adds rather than detracts, and doesn't simply require tolerating.

I only have one minor problem with it still, and that is that, for some reason, it doesn't follow the text on screen. Since the VO's so good though, I can happily just listen to that and ignore the text, which says loads coming from me.

Anyway, I've missed a lot out from this summary, so more later. But, basically - everyone should ignore the reviews and try it! If you like the look of it, you'll probably be as pleasantly surprised as I am.
  • seasidebaz 8 Apr 2009 23:04:03 6,157 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If it's cheap I may try it. I need some decent DS games when my DSi turns up :D
  • ProfessorLesser 9 Apr 2009 08:58:57 19,408 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bump!
  • JinTypeNoir 9 Apr 2009 09:06:38 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In the end I haven't had a chance to write the other Japanese games I thought were best last year, but this game was a contender for my list for multiple reasons. In the end, I thought the Wii game 428 was stronger, but I still really liked this one.

ProfessorLesser perhaps hasn't encountered the system in which you react with a certain emotion to what a character says and that changes their opinion or the stance they take with you. This system has appeared in Japanese RPGs a couple of times, and I thought it was a shame they didn't use it more often in this one, but the inclusion of what's there is another part of what makes it a unique standout among DS adventure games.

Also, later on, you end up using the keywords you scratch out of people's consciousness kind of like Phoenix Wright evidence and profiles, so I like the way that develops as well. It should also be noted that the game has a very set rhythm of starting the day, investigating the areas, heading back to headquarters, etc. that makes for a good transition to playing in small portable chunks.

If you thought Phoenix Wright didn't have any actual gameplay, then I could not disagree with you more, but that kind of viewpoint would probably put you on the side of possibly not enjoying Lux Pain so much, so be careful in that sense.
  • ProfessorLesser 9 Apr 2009 09:31:42 19,408 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, all the stuff going on with emotions and Shinen has been pretty vague so far. Like when you reveal 2 Shinen on a particular person, which then combine to make an inter-related Shinen, which then reveals an orange (so far, anyway) blob that you have to scratch away at to reveal another theme. To be honest, I don't really know what a lot of this means.

Like when a person's Shinen starts to show as you're talking to them, or when you can see the Shinen in an area from the world map after Psycho Viewing. What do these indicate? What does their 'level' mean? The interactions you're talking about, Jin - do you mean when you're given the opportunity to respond to prompts with a variety of emotions, which colour-match certain Shinen? Should I be selecting the response that matches the Shinen I can see swirling on the top screen?

Other stuff I like is the subtlety of everything. Reading minds isn't a simple case of unlocking extra dialogue - it's very much what I imagine reading a mind would be like. It's not like there is a constant, cohesive monologue in our heads at all times. Just fleeting impressions of sentiments and ideas, often completely unrelated to the main 'topic' of what we're thinking about, and that's exactly what you get by interpreting a Shinen. I love how it's all stored in the FORT database as well, cumulatively profiling everyone you meet. I'm not quite sure what the honeycomb plots of Shinen mean yet, though.

I guess a lot of these questions could be answered in the manual but I'm out of the house now and I thought it would be useful to discuss here ^_^
  • FabricatedLunatic 9 Apr 2009 17:53:55 13,040 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Found this for 15 at ShopTo.net and ordered what seems to have been the last copy. I hadn't even heard of the game prior to reading this thread, and it sounds interesting.
  • De_Carabas 9 Apr 2009 17:57:19 1,147 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    Found this for 15 at ShopTo.net and ordered what seems to have been the last copy. I hadn't even heard of the game prior to reading this thread, and it sounds interesting.

Really? I'm sure I mentioned getting this in the JRPG thread a couple of times.
  • FabricatedLunatic 9 Apr 2009 18:08:29 13,040 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You probably did. But it usually takes a huge mass of words to catch my attention :-)
  • Tomahawk 9 Apr 2009 20:24:25 120 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've completed the game and I found it was a very enjoyable game. The visual novel game is one of my favourite genres.

As someone said before the storyline is progressive and on the rails, but you do have the chance to explore a bit and trigger scenes you might otherwise miss or collect some of the special silver cards that are in some locations.

The only downside is the bad lcoalisation and frequent typos in the text...

Anyways, I've actually imported the US version so I get the limited edition art book as well.

• ProfessorLesser 9 Apr 2009 20:58:52 19,408 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why do I get the bad feeling that all my favourite characters are going to die? :-(
  • trotskyicepick 19 Apr 2009 16:55:10 354 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This got 3.5 on gamespot due to what they said was bad localisation
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next