Charlie Brooker's Newswipe Page 4

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• ecureuil 6 Apr 2009 19:59:11 76,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah, the second episode was way better. No Tim Key for a start.
  • Whizzo 8 Apr 2009 23:00:27 42,758 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh dear.

Fucking hell that was a kick in the nuts after some very funny stuff.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 8 April 2009 23:09:37
    Yeah, wasn't as into it this week really. I think the relentless shoutiness of it kind of wears thin after a while, and the 'gag' at the end wasn't actually funny at all as we'd already seen it done a lot better earlier in the show.

It didn't really lay anything bare, either, and the 'Oh Dear' piece seemed to only have one thing to say and took fucking ages to get there and I'm not sure why it had to be prefaced by such a long 'it's just a viewpoint' disclaimer either.

Ah well, it's still a good show overall. I'd like him to do another sane special, like the one on writers last year.
  • Deleted user 8 April 2009 23:10:31
    Went and did something else for 5 minutes while Tim Key or whatever he's called was on, as well.
  • Hunam 8 Apr 2009 23:24:12 20,674 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just watching the first episode now on youtube, the Gordon Brown epic fail t-shirt is fucking genius!
  • woodnotes 8 Apr 2009 23:26:04 4,916 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just wish he'd stick to the hilarious (and sometimes very scary) news clips. That's what I watch it for. Not the fluff in the middle and at the end.

They're the Charlie Brooker version of Harry Hills pointless and stupid "Fight!" bits and skits.
  • M83J01P97 8 Apr 2009 23:40:43 6,384 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seemed like tonight's show might have had a bit of heavy chopping here and there to stay out of trouble... he didn't mention anything about the London riots (what with an investigation being launched into police conduct) or Jade Goody's funeral (Parkinson becoming something of a hate figure after telling it like it is) despite them being mentioned as 'coming up tonight'.
  • PearOfAnguish 8 Apr 2009 23:40:54 6,988 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good stuff, was wondering when he'd get round to doing Fox news. That Glenn Beck bloke is a nutjob.
  • OllyJ 8 Apr 2009 23:58:12 3,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed it tonight, for me it was a good balance of laughs and "stuff they don't want you to hear".

I also like the poems.
  • Hunam 9 Apr 2009 00:27:48 20,674 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The youtube comments for the last part of the second episode (jade goody) are.. in a bizarre twist, refreshingly sober. They all point out Brooker's own personal U-turn on Jade as he is berating others about u-turing on Jade.
  • Retroid Moderator 9 Apr 2009 01:31:19 44,501 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good ep this week. Him and Jon Stewart should meet if they haven't already!
  • cubbymoore 9 Apr 2009 01:43:46 36,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Went and did something else for 5 minutes while Tim Key or whatever he's called was on, as well.
    You liberal minded freedom fighter you, are you going to keep us up to date with every free minded decision you make are you. I can't wait till you tell us how you just went "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T FUCKING HEAR YOU OLD MAN" next time you walk past a homeless guy when you're really in a rush to get to work, because we all love to hear about your exploits in avoiding slightly annoying things to the point where I'm going to assume it was annoying and be perfectly content in my ignorance to anything claiming otherwise world LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LLA LAAAAL AL AQLAALA LW WQE JWJFWQJF"JFQ"WFfwdwel qwlfhh/i3/juglrw/ jxf\olwolmrglr5oflblwA fD/AF/KJRFqBG2
  • Tomo 9 Apr 2009 18:39:38 13,837 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good stuff. Not as good as the previous weeks but still more entertaining than pretty much everything else on television.

This Tim Keys though... I've only seen him twice and yeah, he's really really awful :/
  • Deleted user 9 April 2009 19:41:35
    cubbymoore wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    You liberal minded freedom fighter you, are you going to keep us up to date with every free minded decision you make are you. I can't wait till you tell us how you just went "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T FUCKING HEAR YOU OLD MAN" next time you walk past a homeless guy when you're really in a rush to get to work, because we all love to hear about your exploits in avoiding slightly annoying things to the point where I'm going to assume it was annoying and be perfectly content in my ignorance to anything claiming otherwise world LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LLA LAAAAL AL AQLAALA LW WQE JWJFWQJF"JFQ"WFfwdwel qwlfhh/i3/juglrw/ jxf\olwolmrglr5oflblwA fD/AF/KJRFqBG2
    What on earth is all that guff about? Any rational human being that isn't just on a mission to try and prove some imaginary point would see that what I wrote is basically just a way of saying, "Tim Key, he's shit."

/Alan

"NOW FUCK OFF."
  • Deleted user 9 April 2009 19:43:31
    Tomo wrote:
    This Tim Keys though... I've only seen him twice and yeah, he's really really awful :/
    Why do you think anyone is interested in your God-given right to express an opinion and/or taste or lack thereof for another human being's offering of alleged wit in a show that's not been made for you anyway?

Sorry, I was trying to be all Angry Internet Policeman like cubby, I just can't do it with the same level of hilarious uselessness as him!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLLOLOKJM"PHGVJHKLLLX
  • cubbymoore 9 Apr 2009 19:58:47 36,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well I look forward to your updates on how you really don't like him and the lengths you go into avoiding him the next time he's on.
  • Tomo 9 Apr 2009 20:01:06 13,837 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh Owen. For shame.
  • ecureuil 10 Apr 2009 02:11:02 76,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    The youtube comments for the last part of the second episode (jade goody) are.. in a bizarre twist, refreshingly sober. They all point out Brooker's own personal U-turn on Jade as he is berating others about u-turing on Jade.

What U-turn on Jade? He gave an overview of the Jade Goody saga, and his personal opinion never came in to it.
  • Deleted user 10 April 2009 03:11:31
    Newswipe is so good we listen to this at work, quite a sad state when you really don't need visuals.
  • cubbymoore 10 Apr 2009 06:51:13 36,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Hunam wrote:

What U-turn on Jade? He gave an overview of the Jade Goody saga, and his personal opinion never came in to it.
    Way back on a screenwipe episode he even cut her slack over the Big Brother fiasco, telling it plainly that she wasn't the one being the worst by any stretch, and that because she was the loudest she was the one getting all the attention. This was way before he'd have to "u-turn" as she hadn't been diagnosed.
  • localnotail 10 Apr 2009 13:44:06 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm very glad that Charlie Brooker exists. For some time he has been the only reason why I buy the Guardian on Saturdays.

But basically, he's a bloke sitting on the sofa pointing out the stupidity of the media - the reason why he is the new leader of the geek army is because he tells it like we all know it to be. He could be sitting on our sofa, we could be the ones telling him these things. But he's probably a bit funnier than us or our mates.

We definitely need him on our TVs more than a dozen new Celebrity Come Shave My Fat Arse, but I'm not sure that this Newswipe incarnation will stand up to a whole series. He just doesn't seem comfortable in it. And why should he, when Chris Morris already took out his targets with the 3-pronged creative and biting satire of On The Hour, The Day Today, and Brass Eye? No picture of a cock drawn in response to the media's inanity can top that assault, no matter how realistic the pubic hair might be.

I'll keep watching as it's miles better than anything else on TV, but I'm not sure it works very well.

edits: And the poetry is whack.

IMO

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• ecureuil 10 Apr 2009 13:53:51 76,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure Newswipe will be good for the series, but rather than a look at the weeks news, much of the show consists of talking about the way the media operates. If it was focussed more on the news itself, I don't see why it couldn't keep going.
  • Tomo 10 Apr 2009 14:00:20 13,837 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Exactly, it's not really been about current affairs at the moment. Some has, but the majority has been about the industry.

Those Morris shows have been and gone though. There's always room for similar programs taking swipes at current affairs. Newswipe is grounded in reality though, more so than those three. They were surreal whereas Brooker's show is actually hosted by a person rather than a caricature.
  • localnotail 10 Apr 2009 14:00:55 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    His entertainment media work always walks the balance between daftness & trying to make an occasional valid social point about what our entertainment says about us*.

The brief for Newswipe was to actually look at the news each week, and how it is presented to us. Most of that subject matter is actually real and important, and harder to simply raise a laugh at by pretending to wank. I'm just not sure that he seems comfortable with it.

But I'll keep watching, and maybe I'll be wrong. His heart just doesn't seem in it.

Did you watch the Writer's Special he did? That was really good.

*us = as a nation. I don't watch TV much these days, I used to work in it, and like many jobs, it killed my appetite for it.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• TheSaint 14 Apr 2009 10:32:11 13,629 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't enjoy last weeks episode quite as much as the first two. Seemed like they have just watched the daily show and the Colbert report for a few weeks and used the funniest material from them.

The Tim Key poem about Barrack Obama and Gordon Brown's glass eye was funny though.
  • smoothpete 14 Apr 2009 10:42:30 31,017 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Celebrity Come Shave My Fat Arse
    I for one would watch that
  • PES_Fanboy 14 Apr 2009 10:51:33 11,627 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is good, but I think I'd find it a lot better if I hadn't been told (by Brooker in one of his blogs I think) that it was 'Britain's Answer To The Daily Show.

Anything with 'Britain's Answer To...' in a description is going to put anything on an immediate back foot, especially something that is so unique, slick and well budgeted like TDS.

- PES (Canada's Answer To Peej)
  • TheSaint 14 Apr 2009 10:54:29 13,629 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do you mean The Daily Show?
  • PES_Fanboy 14 Apr 2009 10:56:00 11,627 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Do you mean The Daily Show?

/hasty edit

Err, yeah.
  • cubbymoore 14 Apr 2009 10:57:19 36,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Today Programme is Britain's answer to the Today Programme.
  • Page

of 23 First / Last