G20 Protests in London

• Page

of 37 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 22 March 2009 08:41:59
    Since this is all kicking of next weekend I figured it'd be good to have a thread for anyone intending to be at any of the various marches and stuff, or who just wants to avoid the worst disruption to transport round the city.

If any one has some good information links post 'em and I'll edit this post to bring them to the top.

Saturday 28 March: Put People First: Site / Twitter / Facebook (requires FB login)

10:30am Joint denomination service at Westminster Hall, led by the Bishop of London. The congregation will join the Put People First march in Parliament Square.

Noon PPF marchers set off along Victoria Embankment to Hyde Park.

2:30pm Rally in Hyde Park. At the same time the Anarchist Block will be holding a separate rally in Hyde Park to recruit marchers for Financial Fools Day.

Wednesday 1st / Thursday 2nd April: G20 Meltdown: Site / Twitter / Facebook

Wednesday 1 April

11am Groups will converge at London stations Moorgate, Liverpool Street, London Bridge and Cannon Street. Each group goes on a parade to the Bank of England.

Noon Carnival at the Bank of England with live music and street theatre, including the hanging of bankers' effigies. Climate Camp will march on the European Climate Exchange, Bishopsgate.

2pm Stop the War Coalition meets in Grosvenor Square to march on the US embassy, then on to a rally at Trafalgar Square.

4pm Alternative G20 summit at the University of East London.

Thursday 2 April

7am March on the G20 summit in the ExCeL centre by various groups through the day. Giant block of ice left outside the ExCeL Centre. Talk of blocking transport to ExCeL.

11am Stop the War protest meeting at ExCeL centre.

List of organisations and groups taking part in G20 Meltdown for more details on particular events and stuff.
  • MetalDog 22 Mar 2009 08:57:08 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aren't there some planned actions midweek as well? I have a bad feeling about those. Spidey sense tingling.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 22 March 2009 08:59:31
    Yeah, the G20 Meltdown ones are midweek. There's supposedly a lot more demonstrations other groups are doing too. I'll add some more later or maybe someone else will post 'em.

Edit: Actually I suspect most of 'em are reachable via the G20 Meltdown site anyway.

It's looking pretty intense IMO.

• TechnoHippy 22 Mar 2009 09:00:57 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Aren't there some planned actions midweek as well? I have a bad feeling about those. Spidey sense tingling.

I hope not as I have to go into London on Wednesday :-(

Edit: The demonstrations are next week?

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 22 March 2009 09:03:38
    There's some next weekend, then mid-week the week after.
  • MetalDog 22 Mar 2009 09:04:41 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I work in London - one way or another I'm going to encouter some of this. I think I'll take my camera.

• smoothpete 22 Mar 2009 09:08:24 31,839 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /ponders irony of maybe taking a day off capitalist scum working life to protest against capitalist scum
  • MetalDog 22 Mar 2009 09:09:44 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Haha, yeah, I was just pondering that. If you want to aim for 1st april, pete, we could meet up and be strangely hypocritical together?

• Deleted user 22 March 2009 09:09:56
    I was going shopping next weekend too. Maybe I STILL WILL.
  • PhoenixFlames 22 Mar 2009 09:10:46 9,233 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This protest is for losers who can't make any money or buy the shiny things that they really want.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Deleted user 22 March 2009 09:11:18
    squarejawhero wrote:

they shoot looters don't they? :D
  • Deleted user 22 March 2009 09:12:35
    RedPanda wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:

they shoot looters don't they? :D

:D
  • smoothpete 22 Mar 2009 09:13:09 31,839 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Haha, yeah, I was just pondering that. If you want to aim for 1st april, pete, we could meet up and be strangely hypocritical together?
    That might be fun! Ok, let me have a think and see if I can get the day off
  • MetalDog 22 Mar 2009 09:14:06 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cool. =)

• Stickman 22 Mar 2009 09:14:31 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I might come down and knock the shit out of a McDonalds. That always rocks the establishment.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• MetalDog 22 Mar 2009 09:15:47 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm hoping it's not going to be one of *those*. Reckon so long as I ID and steer clear of the anarchist assholes it'll be okay.

• TechnoHippy 22 Mar 2009 09:20:01 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    With quite a few traffic cams in london being accessible on th enet, we used to watch the May Day riots live via streaming web cam.

The last time I was in London I bumped into a mob of anti-Israeli protesters, intimidating bunch. I'm quite a sizeable guy so I just pushed my way through, must be quite alarming for your average citizen.

• DaisyD 22 Mar 2009 09:20:23 11,826 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I looked at the list of groups attending and they were all pretty respectable til I saw this lot and this lot there.
  • smoothpete 22 Mar 2009 09:20:53 31,839 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /throws MD through McDonalds window

I went to one of the May Day protests a few years ago, it was all smiles and fun until we were herded into Trafalgar Sq then it started kicking off at the egdes. But yeah, it was the aforementioned capitalist assholes who were the culprits.
  • PhoenixFlames 22 Mar 2009 09:26:50 9,233 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    I looked at the list of groups attending and they were all pretty respectable til I saw this lot and this lot there.

Bunch of brain dead weirdo nutters.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• MetalDog 22 Mar 2009 09:29:47 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, the may day protest was handled pretty badly - herding and pushing people together always makes things kick off because they panic. The anarchists are going to be the ones to avoid at this one, though.

• TechnoHippy 22 Mar 2009 09:32:07 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They should play a bit of Conflict at the crowd to keep them calm :-)

• richardiox 22 Mar 2009 10:04:07 5,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    /throws MD through McDonalds window

I went to one of the May Day protests a few years ago, it was all smiles and fun until we were herded into Trafalgar Sq then it started kicking off at the egdes. But yeah, it was the aforementioned capitalist assholes who were the culprits.

Heh I went to the last one that happened, may have been 99/2000..spent 6 hours hemmed into a police pen along oxford street somewhere.

I consider the G20 protests to be an "i told you so" from all the mid/late nineties protests...what ever happend to the protest movement here? No more reclaim the streets, no more may day etc

edit; Based on previous experience I'm sure the police will have all their nicest officers out /remembers seeing a teenage girl get 2 x bloodbath beatings from police for happening to be at the front of the aforementioned pen. Sure NWA had a song about this stuff...
  • faux-C 22 Mar 2009 10:06:07 9,647 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't care what they want, can't they fuck off and protest somewhere that doesn't make me late for work?
  • richardiox 22 Mar 2009 10:08:33 5,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shit I'd hate to be late for work due to circumstances beyond my control. Nightmare.
  • Pike 22 Mar 2009 10:10:35 13,447 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh! Hoping for a G20 protest to be non-violent is a bit like hoping the sun won't rise, isn't it?
  • DaisyD 22 Mar 2009 10:11:19 11,826 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aspic wrote:
    What's wrong with the second lot? From a brief glance on the website, it seems just to be reflecting news and views? Might not agree with them but why do they seem to be trouble?

Their anarchists. It's kind of their point to make trouble.
  • faux-C 22 Mar 2009 10:12:36 9,647 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Shit I'd hate to be late for work due to circumstances beyond my control. Nightmare.

That's all well and good, but everyone knows about this stuff, so it's still "my fault" for not leaving home an hour earlier than normal.
  • DaisyD 22 Mar 2009 10:13:16 11,826 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:

Bunch of brain dead weirdo nutters.

Can't imagine the Labour Party and Save the Children marching side by side with them.
  • richardiox 22 Mar 2009 10:16:20 5,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Labour Party?!
  • Page

of 37 First / Last

Previous