Resident Evil 6 Page 2

• Page

of 43 First / Last

• Deleted user 18 March 2009 10:17:53
    squarejawhero wrote:
    You can't avoid cliche in these things, but something akin to The Thing, rendered very gruesomely and painfully. I'd maybe even infect the player leading to some tough player-led choices in the story, having it as a noose around your neck but also allowing for it to be used helpfully. Leon being infected in RE4 was interesting but didn't really go anywhere.

I'd probably combine more science fiction elements too.

Ever played Extermination for the PS2? I consider it a proto RE4, obviously an early PS2 game with lack of funds and some design flaws but well worth a gander now. Some of the enemy in RE4 are very similar, also the menu for the weapon upgrade was ripped for MGS4. Thinking about it, an HD remake of Extermination for PSN would be great.

We're all impossible to please, basically.

True, which is why Capcom need to diversify like they used to, rather than all action that their catalogue consists of right now (Lost Planet 2 going all Gears of War and presumably RE6 will take notes from it as well).

To be honest I think this is the way for the industry to go with older series that have a gulf between older and newer gamers such as Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia. Either do what EA are doing with Need for Speed and have various versions clearly intended for seperate audiences or make a new series for the older gamers, something more mature, freeing up the well known brands to be used on more populist works.
  • Darren 18 Mar 2009 10:34:57 8,321 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Darren wrote:
    Resident Evil 6 should have an option to play the game in first-person once you've completed it once, a bit like an expanded version of the one from Code Veronica.
    They should just go the whole hog and make it a first-person game. It's obviously what they've been wanting to do since Resi 4.

Nah, the first person mode should only ever be an unlockable bonus as it was in Code Veronica. I don't think any fans want to play Resident Evil only in first-person. Well I certainly don't.

For one, the third-person camera looks cooler when you can see who you're playing as and, two, it means the ingame to cutscene transitions are less jarring since both are third-person. No, first-person should only ever be an extra IMO.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• daz_john_smith 18 Mar 2009 10:36:01 1,631 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    the_dudefather wrote:

Anyone got any ideas that aren't 'remake an old game' or 'make it more like the old games'? although I would love a RE3 remake (my favorite in the series before 4, and the only one I played through more an once)

...Right what about if Raccoon city was redeveloped, much like in Robocop (is it Detroit city?)
    It could fit into the time line,due to all the work being carried out during the latter games.

We could have loads of new locations, but in a American city/state environment. High schools, shopping malls, tower blocks ect.
    The threat could come from a site or area being dug up (the Thing anyone) during all the new buildings, anyway the site contains a T virus (M,n,p take your pick) maybe an old lab
    Anyway the virus gets leaked into the water system (I know it's not original but hay!) and spreads throughout the city. it makes the civilians rabid, then causes them to die and then ZOMBIES
    Stars get called in, including some old hands who have dealt with this sort of thing before*...
    Well it's a start

*that sounds so funny, casual reading back.

It's an interesting idea DUFFMAN, I like it. If I may I'd like to expand upon it and perhaps change a few things.

First of all regarding the story. I like the setup of returning to a re-developed Raccoon City and having an oubreak happen based on the unearthing of an old/secret/undisclosed Umbrella facility. To add a little conspiracy to that I'd have the player find out as they play the game that it was no accident that that site in particular was chosen to build something. In the same way that you find out Burke from Aliens (Directors Cut) had sent Newts parents out to the location of the crashed ship filled with Alien eggs I'd have someone on the inside of the re-devlopement commitee or government choose that particular spot to create the very events of the game for experimentation purposes.
    As for characters I'd introduce a new main character, someone who was living in New Raccoon City at the time, probably a regular guy or gal. However like 28 Days Later I'd have them wake up in a hospital after the intitial outbreak to find themselves in the ruins of a fairly devastated city, with memories of who they are but obviously no idea what has happened to the city and also with a small memory gap regarding why they were in hospital in the first place. The reason for having the character wake up with no idea of what has happened is to allow both the character and player to discover what has happened together through playing the game. Its much harder to do that narritively if the character you're playing should already know this information having lived through those events. I'd then have the character discover as they play that they were one of the original infected but due to both a mutation in whatever virus was unearthed (due to it sitting unused for so long) and a genetic mutation within the main character you were able to fight off the virus eventually; making you sorf of a living antidote. Obviously this makes you very popular. The baddies want you eliminated, cue secret Umbrella (or whatever their new name is in RE5) death squad sent in to eliminate you; and the goodies, when they find out about you want you to save the day and create a cure.
    Much like most RE games I'd also add a more familar secondary main character... but who... I guess Leon would be the obvious choice. I'd then set the game up similarly to RE2 were at the begginging of the game you choose the character you want to play as and depending on your choice each character plays through the events of the gamne in a slightly different way, getting a different view and perspective on events, possibly going to some different locations and having access to areas blocked off to the other character. They'd obviously meet up at specifc points in the story to work together and swap story relevant info. There could also be co-op, but to keep both players mostly together, players would have to choose which scenario to play through, either Leons or the wew characters. The co-op story would then be altered sligtly by having both characters meeting up quickly at the beggining of the game (Shouldn't be a big deal, considering playing Halo 1 and 2 co-op had you both playing as Spartans. Sometimes you just have to let things slide). If Capcom were feeling generous they could create a seperate co-op campaign story, but since they're charging for seperately for multiplayer that aint gonna happen.

My ideas sound pretty cheesey too, reading them back.

As for gameplay. I'd keep the RE4-5 playstyle, camera and viewpoint. I love the originals but it is time to move on. To silence critics I'd give character the ability to move slowly while shooting, but punish them for it by making it alot less accurate while doin that; people do not run and gun in the real world, this is not a John Woo movie.
    I'm not a huge fan of the next idea, but the_dudefather wanted new ideas so here goes; how about a free roaming city, a little like GTA, but smaller (more of a Silent Hill sized town than GTA sized City), with more restrictions and blocked off areas to open up. nickthegun complained about backtracking but surely games like GTA are 90% backtracking over the same areas, it's about making that backtracking fun, scary and retaining the tension is all.
    Allow the players to use what's available to them or what they can salvage a little like Dead Rising. Focusing more on that aspect with the new character and less on that with Leon since he'll probably arrive tooled up and well supplied, perhaps with the ability to request supply drops from time to time giving each character a slightly differnt play style.
    Limited use of broken down vehicles, etc to travel semi large distances could also be included.
    Limit ammunition for weapons to increase and retain some fear and tension.
    Zombies will be classic looking zombies, but fast zombies. Unrelenting, fast and agile, not plodding pitchfork wielding LaPlagas. Take a look at L4D zombies and especially the hunter in that. They'll scare the crap out of you whether you're stocked up on ammo or not.
    Most importantly bring back the puzzles, item collection and usage from old RE's. I want to be challenged mentally again, I wanna use my brain not sure rely on my aim.
    Finally I suppose it could be structured somewhat like Zelda with the indoor sections being very much like dungeons with more complex puzzles, more unique enemies and bosses, etc.

However, lets be honest nickthegun sums up exactly what the majority of people want "Gears of Resident Evil". Linear progressive levels, plentiful ammo, GEars style controls and wall to wall enemies to blast

Apologies for the length of the post.
  • Darren 18 Mar 2009 10:40:17 8,321 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:
    You should also be able to use herbs on the spot if there is no room in the inventory.

Now that is the one thing I found perhaps most annoying about Resident Evil 5. At one point, I was dangerously low on health but my inventory was completely full with four weapons each and tons of ammo. Upon breaking open some crates I came across THREE green herbs but could I use them to heal Chris? Could I f**k! Where's the logic in that?!? That's not creating tension, that's plain and simple dumb game design IMO. :?

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Deleted user 18 March 2009 10:44:06
    You could use herbs on the spot in RE4
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Mar 2009 10:49:16 48,224 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    Darren wrote:
    Resident Evil 6 should have an option to play the game in first-person once you've completed it once, a bit like an expanded version of the one from Code Veronica.
    They should just go the whole hog and make it a first-person game. It's obviously what they've been wanting to do since Resi 4.

Nah, the first person mode should only ever be an unlockable bonus as it was in Code Veronica. I don't think any fans want to play Resident Evil only in first-person. Well I certainly don't.

For one, the third-person camera looks cooler when you can see who you're playing as and, two, it means the ingame to cutscene transitions are less jarring since both are third-person. No, first-person should only ever be an extra IMO.
    You see, not so long ago I would've agreed entirely. But the atmosphere in Bioshock was so awesome I've come to the conclusion that it'd be perfect for a Resi game.

The main benefit to a third-person perspective is being able to see what's going on around you more easily, but Capcom purposely pull the camera in really close to your character's back to try and restrict your view. This increases the tension but restricts your view too much - you've got a bloody great character blocking your view forwards for a start.

I guess the downside to this approach is that they'd be even more tempted to turn it into a full-on shooter. But at least they couldn't fuck up the controls with a first-person perspective. :-D
  • daz_john_smith 18 Mar 2009 10:50:38 1,631 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WTF. You can't use herbs on the spot in RE5..... lol. Have Capcom gone backwards for RE5. Didn't they introduce using items like herbs, health spray etc on the spot in RE: Zero and then carry it over to RE4. I don't remember being able to do it in Code Veronica but it's been 10 years since I last played it and I've never played RE3 so can't comment on that.

Edited due to poor typing
  • Retroid Moderator 18 Mar 2009 10:52:03 44,501 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    daz_john_smith wrote:
    WTF. U can't use herbs on teh spot in RE5..... lol.
    Nnnnngh.
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Mar 2009 10:57:19 13,818 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DJS, brilliant we should like be writing partners or something like that is.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• daz_john_smith 18 Mar 2009 11:10:41 1,631 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    DJS, brilliant we should like be writing partners or something like that is.

Definitely. Lets be honest we could do just as well as most of the so called professionals.

LOL, I remember at Uni we had to concept a game idea and we decided to go down the beat em up route. Myself and my friend/flatmate Tris were tasked with coming up the character stories. We rolled out all the cliché's, martial arts student out to avenge murdered master, undercover detective investigating shady goings on, science experiment gone wrong, martial art perfectionist out to prove they're the best; I think we even had a Japanese school girl.

ColonelClaret who sometimes frequents these forums came up with the name: Penultimate Dragon. Ah, fond memories.
  • Bulbatron 18 Mar 2009 11:13:26 825 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I definitely think the over-the-shoulder camera is the way to go. While zombies have indeed been done to death in Resident Evil, and I can therefore understand why people want shot of them, I do think it would be good to have them back, only because with the over-the-shoulder camera, it would be a good exercise in accuracy to have to shoot them in the head to kill them, or they will just keep getting back up.

As for the length, I've never before the release of Resident Evil 5, heard that there were any complaints about Resident Evil 4 being too long. But I suppose there must have been and that's why Capcom made Resident Evil 5 so short by comparison.

As for returning enemies, perhaps squarejawhero has a good point here. Although I would bring back zombies (for the reason I mentioned above) it is perhaps unnecessary for any others to return. It depends on the setting really. The presence of any given enemy has to at least make some sense. I therefore suggest the only enemies to return should be zombies (humans are everywhere after all) and giant spiders (spiders are everywhere after all). Any new infections are bound to effect humans and spiders! But they should fill the rest of the cast with brand new monsters.

I think there is room for both slow-paced exploration and more action-based gameplay.

I wish they would ditch QTEs during cut-scenes though. I can understand their presence during gameplay - running away from boulders and suchlike, but do we have to have them in cut-scenes - especially the ones in which the plot is being advanced? I suppose they do it so that the player feels more as though they are taking part in the scene, but for me, it just means I'm not able to concentrate on the action or dialogue because I'm squinting at the bottom of the screen in case I miss a QTE.

Wow - what a mansion!

• daz_john_smith 18 Mar 2009 11:17:53 1,631 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Back to RE6. Do we actually think we're going to see a RE6 this generation? I supose it depends on how long this generation lasts and how much of a revolution or departure from the current format the next game is. If it is next gen then it'll have alot of extra power to work with and access to motion controls, the success of the Wii has pretty much confirmed that XBox 720 and PS4 will folow suit to a degree.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2009 11:19:02
    Probably.
  • Genji 18 Mar 2009 11:20:12 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK, how about a game where you start out as a survivor in a city that's been infected with one of the viruses. You literally start out with nothing - no guns, no grenades, just a baseball bat or something. And you can explore around, meet other survivors, and avoid groups of wandering zombies.

Kinda like GTA, or Fallout, but with zombies.

Oh, and no "cinematic camera angles" bullshit, please.
  • Darren 18 Mar 2009 11:20:13 8,321 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    You could use herbs on the spot in RE4

I know, I'm replaying that game on the Wii, and that's why it is so galling in RE5. I guess the frequent checkpointing helps in RE5, so if you die you don't have to redo much, but that's no excuse for illogical design IMO.

• daz_john_smith 18 Mar 2009 11:25:30 1,631 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They could go down the Dead Space route if they were to reintroduce zombies and make them very difficult to kill unless you get the head shot or dismember them severely enough to stop them. I would like to see zombies that are more destructable and have bits and pieces of themselves missing or even in some cases big chunks, but are still able to function.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2009 11:26:25
    Genji wrote:
    OK, how about a game where you start out as a survivor in a city that's been infected with one of the viruses. You literally start out with nothing - no guns, no grenades, just a baseball bat or something. And you can explore around, meet other survivors, and avoid groups of wandering zombies.

Kinda like GTA, or Fallout, but with zombies.

Oh, and no "cinematic camera angles" bullshit, please.

That sounds pretty good. Not actually being a survivor though, I think the character would need to be a protege of someone from the series. Essentially avoiding action when you want to and wading in if you need to or feel like it. Being at the beginning of an outbreak of something in New Orleans (heheh) rather than after it, with crowd mechanics, lots of panicking and running, would be awesome, then followed by the quiet of the streets with infected roaming. Eerie.
  • Bulbatron 18 Mar 2009 11:28:45 825 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    daz_john_smith, that sounds good.

Wow - what a mansion!

• Darren 18 Mar 2009 11:31:09 8,321 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:
    As for the length, I've never before the release of Resident Evil 5, heard that there were any complaints about Resident Evil 4 being too long. But I suppose there must have been and that's why Capcom made Resident Evil 5 so short by comparison.

The game is shorter for a number of reasons.

One is that the co-op will have taken a big chunk out of the budget and required extensive testing and, two, the level design is now completely linear with virtually no puzzles so whereas you might have backtracked a little in the earlier games to explore for items, you now cannot do that. Many of the doors are one-way and once you pass through them that's it, you cannot go back. At times, it makes it feel like a collection of rooms that you work your way through. I can't imagine anyone who liked Resident Evil would complain about it being too long! Considering the RE games haven't had any multiplayer until now I would imagine most people would prefer a longer, better value for money game. Right?

Weirdly, the very start of the game allows you to explore buildings on the way to the butchers and one hut on the right has two wooden crates in there. However, at that point in the game you don't have a knife so you cannot break them, nor can you go back to them once you enter the butchers as the door you pass through becomes locked!!!

RE5 is a really great game but it has too many niggles and odd design decisions to make it a classic a la RE4. That said, even a less good RE game is better than 95% of other similar games so I can't complain too much really. 8/10 is a fair score for this game IMO.

• Deleted user 18 March 2009 12:19:15
    Considering the RE games haven't had any multiplayer until now I would imagine most people would prefer a longer, better value for money game.

I disagree, will take quality of design and game structure over sheer quantity of content.

RE2 being a case in point, possibily because it was redesigned the staff had time to go over and refine its comeplling structure with the various stories and two part scenario set up linking up to create a satisfying whole.

Personally while I enjoyed it for what it is, a new series using a well known brand to sell its new gameplay mechanics and excellent production values, I felt RE4 was undermined it got worse as it went along. Had less impact over time due to overexposure and the constant need to outdo itself making it increasingly silly in ways not even Resident Evil games were and the design and tone is all over the place. Case in point being the island that is suddenly inserted into the story, who knew you were on the coast?
  • Deleted user 18 March 2009 12:44:32
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    nekotcha wrote:
    I absolutely loved the way that you'd have to plan your way through the mansion in Resi 1, carefully using your incredibly limited supply of bullets to pick off certain zombies tactically, to make certain routes through the house usable, and it's something that none of the more recent Resi games have come even close to replicating.

Quite. There was something pretty thrilling about thinking 'Right..I have to go back through there...but those frog bastards spawn in that hallway and I have one bullet left...'.

So you like backtracking? Play DMC4. It'll be your GOTY.

Kinda disappointing the way that any amount of exploration or having to go through an area more than once is now casually dismissed as being 'backtracking', together with all the negative connotations that word implies. Such mechanics weren't a problem in Resi 1. Nor were they a problem in Super Metroid. Or Zelda: LttP, or tens of other titles I could mention.

The point is that knowing the layout of the mansion was only half the battle, because working out how to get around with the limited tools at your disposal was the real challenge. And if you hadn't known the layout, getting around with such limited resources would've just been annoying, because you wouldn't have known what was around the next corner. It was a wonderfully tactical experience, and one that, as I say, the modern Resi games lack.

It's also a million miles away from the lazy reuse of environments seen in DMC4 which is emphatically not the same thing.
  • Darren 18 Mar 2009 12:55:08 8,321 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Backtracking in Devil May Cry 4 was a lazy way for the developers to make the game longer without creating any new levels or enemies and it showed. However, backtracking in the Resident Evil games was a vital part of the game, allowing you to find secret weapons and stock up on missed items. It made the games feel bigger and more like you were exploring a huge place.

RE5 in comparison feels like a series of unconnected levels seeing as every few doors turns out to be one-way preventing you from going back. There was one part of the game where I discovered a weapon in a case but I didn't have any space for it. Anyway, after getting on a moving platform and despatching some enemies I realised that I had space for it. However, I couldn't get Sheva to activate the platform and when I pulled the switch it moved without me so I couldn't go back to get the weapon. Kind of annoying really and typical of the somewhat thoughtless, linear level design that impairs on the atmosphere.

• Bulbatron 18 Mar 2009 12:59:16 825 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In the end, Sheva didn't bother me for the most part, but I'd rather have had a longer, deeper game than have multiplayer. I think Resident Evil 4 had quality and quantity - though I do take the point about the island. :-)

Wow - what a mansion!

• daz_john_smith 18 Mar 2009 13:21:32 1,631 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree with the current sentiments that backtracking seems to have been banded about too much, taken on a negative conatation and stamped on games that don't deserve it, like the earlier RE games. I would definitely like to see alot of the old RE conventions return in RE6 whilst keeping the great new innovations. The question is will Capcom break the mold again like they did with RE4 or will they follow the crowd like they seem to have a little with RE5?
  • Ged42 18 Mar 2009 13:39:49 7,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think Capcom are going to have to make 2 Resident Evil 6s (maybe like there being 2 Final Fantasy XIIIs) One evolving the Resident Evil 4&5 set up. The other going back to the old Resident Evil set up.

Could be done be done well with one story following say Leon and Claire, with the other following Chris and Jill. The stories would run parallel to each other and then converge in Resident Evil 7 where you can choose to have either the new controls and camera or the old one.

Or failing that just make Resident Evil 6 with the new controls/camera and remake Resident Evil 2 to shut everyone else up.
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Mar 2009 13:45:49 48,224 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why would they ever go back to the old setup when 4 and 5 were easily the biggest sellers of the series?
  • RetardStrong 18 Mar 2009 13:58:51 3,229 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Why would they ever go back to the old setup when 4 and 5 were easily the biggest sellers of the series?

Sadly this.
  • Wastelander 18 Mar 2009 14:04:45 1,848 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As long as the next main character is Tofu, I'm happy.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2009 14:05:05
    If it isn't a shooter it's not a proper game and is for casual scum who are ruining the industry or some such shit like that.
  • GreasyWeasel 18 Mar 2009 14:07:39 463 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want a multiplayer co-op game which combines RE and Left4Dead. By that I mean a group of friends playing together (can be split up during game play by events but would ultimately find their way back together). I want it to be slower paced and involve more puzzles. I want it in 3rd person and I want good controls. I basically want what RE:outbreak was supposed to be. It should be set in a city.

Or the advancement of this would lead to an MMO style game set in a city with multiple people trying to survive a zombie apocalypse that can group together to help one another or try to go it alone. But it would have to be story driven rather than crappy fetch quests.

Whatever it is, I want proper shambling zombies that relentlessly keep coming after you. None of this fast infected crap ;)
  • Page

of 43 First / Last