Resident Evil 6 Page 37

• Page

of 47 First / Last

• JinTypeNoir 16 Oct 2012 06:34:16 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    Its the same with FF13. Why have in game exploration and npcs when you can have a wikipedia submenu with all the monster and location facts.

I loved finding notes, pictures and files in the old resi games. Even in 5 they were some of the better moments. Discovering the story yourself is always better than having cutscenes, QTEs and menus shoved up your arse.

Fuck modern gaming.
    While I can agree that a lot of modern games are going in the wrong direction, I think what they did with Final Fantasy XIII was right for Final Fantasy, at least the main series. Since the SNES/SFC days, the exploration parts of Final Fantasy games got increasingly hollow. You couldn't interact with environments for the most part. They were basically sets. Its something I found increasingly disappointing about the games since VIII. XIII's plot revolved a tense and extremely time intensive element of fighting against a megalithic entity while being "cursed" as it was. I think the directors tried to address the contradiction of stopping to play card games while the fate of the world is on the balance and remove the forced exposition from story scenes by doing that. I thought it was a great idea, but if they had gone one step further and peppered the environment with information nodes or whatever to get those, it would probably would have done a lot to help people acclimate to the idea.

This is something that they would never think of doing in say, SaGa or Dragon Quest, because neither series had that problem.

Likewise, Resident Evil has the same problem. It seems critical gamers aren't as forgiving of the inherent contradictions of telling a game story and thus, here we are.

People say, nobody asked for this, but that's quite a lie. It seems every week I run into a post of somebody's saying today's games are weak and don't leave enough to the imagination, whether it be gameplay tutorials or plot elements. And then when Final Fantasy has a couple of oddball lcie, falcie, pulse and cocoon, people go nuts and say it is indecipherable, even though its really not much different than previous Final Fantasies with their mako, materia, espers and magitek and so on and so forth.

Likewise, how many times did Capcom get criticized for RE's "can't shoot and move" control scheme, how many times did they get criticized for "not listening to fans," and when they looked around they also found people seething that games held their hand too much today and don't leave work out anything on your own.

So they ditched the classic Resident Evil recipe for tension and in its place put something that takes time and quite a bit of skill to master, but is quite different to what Resident Evil fans are used to.

It might not be what you, personally, asked for, but its the overwhelming voice of screaming ninnies that reach Capcom and Square Enix's ears.

If you want really shiny HD masterpieces, you better be able to suck up the reality of what you're asking for.
  • Br0ken_Engli5h 16 Oct 2012 07:43:16 1,194 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry, JTN, I can't hear you over the the sound of me punching myself in the bollocks.

Lets not pretend that RE6 is anything but product of cash-led, lowest common denominator development. I don't know what forums you visit, but I can't remember the supposed fans of the franchise screaming "Needz moar snowmobeels!" in regard to the genre.

Besides, it's probably not best to talk about JRPG's when we're discussing evolution in games.
  • King_Edward 16 Oct 2012 07:49:21 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm sorry B_E, but you're way off base. Asking to be able to move and shoot at the same time is exactly the same as asking for more helicopter crashes, insta-death qtes, and as much running into the camera as possible. You're deluded if you think otherwise.
  • Erinan 16 Oct 2012 08:40:39 124 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been playing with the missus and we can't really get into it. I loved RE5 for what it was (very good fun in co-op) but I'm finding RE6 to be quite a mess.

The "bosses" are shit - very often I'll have no idea if what I'm doing is "right" (should I shoot it until something happens? should I try to find something to help me overcome it? should I just wait for the next cutscene to start?).

I've been killed a couple of times by unavoidable things, namely the ambulance and a fire truck (I think). They just come out of nowhere at full speed and send you back to the latest checkpoint. That's just terrible design.

The story... what story? Helena had been telling me for two (!) chapters that she would explain everything after reaching the cathedral. I have NO idea why I should be following her. I have NO idea who she even is. I have NO idea what actually happened (I mean "how" ) to the president. All I'm being given is some tiny bits of information every now and then that don't even answer anything. Who's this Simmons guy? Why should I care about him? Who's Ada Wong? (haven't played RE2)

I feel like I've missed a very important introduction cutscene or something. Does the game really just start with the president in Leon's Campaign? Why is he even on this campus? When was the virus released? Why are the main characters apparently immune to it?

I hate the skill point system. RE5's upgradeable weapons were FINE and felt like it was worth grinding the money (I spent hours maxing out all of them and I miss having the Hydra on my character).

Oh, and don't patch the PS3 version to 1.0.1 or whatever, or you will most likely end up with a "corrupted save" message at some point (do not delete your save, just remove the patch in the PS3's "Game Data" section and unplug your PS3 from the internet).

I'm really not getting into this Resident Evil :(

Edited by Erinan at 08:44:20 16-10-2012
  • itinkuravinalaff 16 Oct 2012 09:42:33 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think that corrupted save thing only applied to peeps that downloaded the game. Anybody with the disc are fine, no problems as yet for me.
  • Erinan 16 Oct 2012 09:51:31 124 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope, bought the game on disc and I had it at the end of chapter 1, looks pretty random. The game will tell you to delete your save but don't do it, it can be solved by deleting the patch instead. You'll have to restart from the last checkpoint though.

Edited by Erinan at 09:51:45 16-10-2012
  • itinkuravinalaff 16 Oct 2012 09:55:14 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok l will keep an eye out thanks.
  • GiarcYekrub 16 Oct 2012 10:28:31 3,783 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Erinan wrote:
    I've been playing with the missus and we can't really get into it. I loved RE5 for what it was (very good fun in co-op) but I'm finding RE6 to be quite a mess.

The "bosses" are shit - very often I'll have no idea if what I'm doing is "right" (should I shoot it until something happens? should I try to find something to help me overcome it? should I just wait for the next cutscene to start?).

I've been killed a couple of times by unavoidable things, namely the ambulance and a fire truck (I think). They just come out of nowhere at full speed and send you back to the latest checkpoint. That's just terrible design.

The story... what story? Helena had been telling me for two (!) chapters that she would explain everything after reaching the cathedral. I have NO idea why I should be following her. I have NO idea who she even is. I have NO idea what actually happened (I mean "how" ) to the president. All I'm being given is some tiny bits of information every now and then that don't even answer anything. Who's this Simmons guy? Why should I care about him? Who's Ada Wong? (haven't played RE2)

I feel like I've missed a very important introduction cutscene or something. Does the game really just start with the president in Leon's Campaign? Why is he even on this campus? When was the virus released? Why are the main characters apparently immune to it?

I hate the skill point system. RE5's upgradeable weapons were FINE and felt like it was worth grinding the money (I spent hours maxing out all of them and I miss having the Hydra on my character).

Oh, and don't patch the PS3 version to 1.0.1 or whatever, or you will most likely end up with a "corrupted save" message at some point (do not delete your save, just remove the patch in the PS3's "Game Data" section and unplug your PS3 from the internet).

I'm really not getting into this Resident Evil :(
    There is an Ex file that details "Helena Crime" if you get one of the serpent emblems
  • Darth_Flibble 16 Oct 2012 13:20:38 1,707 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have to agree, asking to walk and shoot is not the same as helicopter crashes, insta-death qtes etc. Actually it was the non fans that wanted to run and shoot to make into another shooter. Its the same as Mass Effect 1, instead of fixing the crappy (not broken) inventory and people that wanted it to more like a shooter defended. Gaming today is certain gamers wanted every game to be straight up shooter. I post on a forum that has small gaming sub section and there is a couple of angry posts over dishonoured and X-com (because they are not plain shooters) and I'm sure the sequels will be if these gamers get their way
  • SteveHolt 16 Oct 2012 17:29:43 425 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

People say, nobody asked for this, but that's quite a lie. It seems every week I run into a post of somebody's saying today's games are weak and don't leave enough to the imagination, whether it be gameplay tutorials or plot elements. And then when Final Fantasy has a couple of oddball lcie, falcie, pulse and cocoon, people go nuts and say it is indecipherable, even though its really not much different than previous Final Fantasies with their mako, materia, espers and magitek and so on and so forth.

Likewise, how many times did Capcom get criticized for RE's "can't shoot and move" control scheme, how many times did they get criticized for "not listening to fans," and when they looked around they also found people seething that games held their hand too much today and don't leave work out anything on your own.

So they ditched the classic Resident Evil recipe for tension and in its place put something that takes time and quite a bit of skill to master, but is quite different to what Resident Evil fans are used to.

Agreed. About RE6 in particular, it makes me a sad panda that people seem upset about the combat engine, especially the melee system. It takes a bit of experimentation /trial n'error because this definitely doesn't play like gears or uncharted at all, but it's just a great system IMO. That's why I don't mind chris' campaign so far - the gameplay is just fucking solid.

I'd blame capcom for failing to design a proper tutorial and releasing an unappealing demo, but that's the only really negative thing I have to say about RE6 so far. The "corridor shooter with the odd sandbox setpiece / QTE / lame vehicle sequence" design isn't the most imaginative, but I won't blame capcom for reclaiming the genre RE4 basically created.
  • King_Edward 16 Oct 2012 19:40:45 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And I'm done. Balls to this, I can't even carry on with Leon's campaign let alone the others. I swear I've been killed by more vehicles than zombies. Even co-op seems to create more problems than it fixes.

This game is a level of shit I just cannot cope with, and for reference, I finished Haze.
  • -cerberus- 16 Oct 2012 21:40:48 2,947 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    King_Edward wrote: This game is a level of shit I just cannot cope with, and for reference, I finished Haze.
    Wow...

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• psychokitten Moderator 16 Oct 2012 21:59:24 7,794 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, finished Leons and I felt pretty positive about it overall. Too actiony/QTE heavy but it's enjoyable in coop (like RE5). Finished Chris' campaign and was less pleased with it, but again decent in coop. It's not going to set the world on fire, it has a LOT wrong with it but coop makes things more fun.

On Jake's campaign now, just finished the first two chapters, right now it's just garbage. Snow storm you can't see through, fuck you. Jetski section, just...... awful. Wobbly camera angles when you're trying to defeat flying spotters, uh huh. Bland with pointlessly frustrating insta-deaths that come out of nowhere.

Problem for me overall other than the shift to action/QTE is the pacing, it's all wrong. I think if I weren't playing coop I'd be less forgiving :(
  • Load_2.0 16 Oct 2012 22:16:18 19,356 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am enjoying it overall. I agree that the boss fights are vague and somewhat frustrating, you don't get a lot of feedback on whether you are employing the right tactic or simply pumping all your ammo into a sponge.

Camera has been no problem for me and on Leon's campaign alone I would say this is at least a 7.

However playing Jakes campaign and there is one stage which may be the WORST I have ever played in the last 10 years.

Finding those fucking data sticks in a snow storm. Truly awful! How the fuck can wandering around near blind on a large map hunting for fucking data sticks be considered in anyway enjoyable?
  • psychokitten Moderator 16 Oct 2012 22:38:21 7,794 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    However playing Jakes campaign and there is one stage which may be the WORST I have ever played in the last 10 years.

Finding those fucking data sticks in a snow storm. Truly awful! How the fuck can wandering around near blind on a large map hunting for fucking data sticks be considered in anyway enjoyable?
    Yep, that's the bit I mentioned too. Just awful. Don't know what they were thinking with that one.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2012 22:55:00
    There is a pause option. You just have to make your game type offline in one of the menus before you load your game.

Took me until the 3rd campaign to find that one out.
  • Load_2.0 16 Oct 2012 22:58:36 19,356 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just googled that haha, massively frustrating!
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Oct 2012 23:19:08 24,584 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know no one really likes it but I have this horrible urge to buy it. Must resist...calling of shite game!!

It's horror month over at SoundOnSight. Remember Condemned: Criminal Origins? Read my lookback!

• drhcnip 16 Oct 2012 23:23:55 2,509 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    i've got it coming to me, no doubt it'll be on the swapsies before long...a big part of me wants to like it, though - been with resi since day 1 & it always pulls me back in
  • Mola_Ram 17 Oct 2012 00:31:20 7,442 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's a common urge, to buy/watch/listen to something you know you will hate. Happens surprisingly often! I'm surprised that so many people seem to be playing this, given the reaction to the demo and subsequent bad reviews.

I think I just won't bother. I have too much other stuff to play.
  • jambii267 17 Oct 2012 01:57:18 1,366 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I enjoyed Resident Evil 6, mainly because it's a collection of ridiculous and implausible events.

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• itinkuravinalaff 17 Oct 2012 02:56:14 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I'm enjoying this but boss fights are too much action cut scene, one minute your shooting like fuck then it takes over into a cut scene then your back but disorientated and try to continue shooting but should have reloaded, then another cut scene jeez fucking dont know what these japanese devs were thinking sometimes. But overall its great most of the time for me.

Edited by itinkuravinalaff at 02:58:08 17-10-2012
  • Erinan 17 Oct 2012 08:05:51 124 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought Leon's campaign was barely ok until that last hour/hour and a half when the final boss ruined everything (for me):

What. The .Fuck. Zombie T-Rex and giant zombie fly??? Not to mention that QTE where you punch Simmons and that I had to repeat at least 10 times throughout the 5+ stages of that final boss. the T-Rex part took me AGES, I had no idea what I was supposed to do (just shoot all my ammo at it?) and then the jeep part, then the HORRIBLE cable climb QTE, which took me ages too.

The missus played with me until the end of chapter 2 before letting me finish the campaign (which often felt like a chore). Now she wants to try Jake's campaign but it sounds a lot worse from what I've been reading.

I thought the negative reviews were exaggerated as they were with RE5 (which I still find to be a very good co-op good game) but what a giant mess RE6 is.

Edited by Erinan at 08:10:24 17-10-2012
  • yegon 17 Oct 2012 14:53:45 5,301 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    About halfway through this now, I'm enjoying it mostly....but it really does feel disposable, generic, forgettable and completely incoherent. A big dumb action game in the vein of shit cinema.

It's a complete disaster compared to 4. That's not rose tinted specs either, played the HD version to completion a couple of months ago, it's still an awesome game in terms of play mechanics, pacing, progression and set pieces. Story in 4? Thought it was bollocks, but like lots of games I love, it hung together well enough that it justified the slaughter, beyond Serious Sam style run shoot run shoot. I've haven't the foggiest what's going in 6, more because my eyes have glazed over than any likeness to Foucault's Pendulum.
  • Page

of 47 First / Last