Resident Evil 6

• Page

of 47 First / Last

Previous
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Mar 2009 07:41:32 14,776 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Firstly I have nicked this idea, even text from the Fable 3? thread created by one of our lovely mods!

Well, it seems Resident Evil 6 has been quasi-confirmed after Jun Takeuchi's mentioned a new, reworking ? of the Resi series
    Seeing as it's early days, what should we nag the developers to include this time around (I know you are not reading this guys!).
    I'd say, drop the co-op. While it's nice from a designers pov to have this system- why no complete single player game? I can hardly even see where I'm going when playing the game due to some woman getting in my way (sometimes).
    More variation please! more puzzles please, more mansions please.
    Play AITD (some ideas were good) SH5 and Dead Space to see what the comp are doing, and then crank it up to 11.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Tonka 18 Mar 2009 07:44:54 20,546 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wii exclusive from what I've heard.
    To be published in 2014.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 18 March 2009 07:47:10
    Return To The Mansion
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Mar 2009 07:48:58 14,776 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Resi 6 "Return to the mansion...oh ffs lets just remake RE2"

Good lad, me and you think alike

• bad09 18 Mar 2009 07:59:28 5,954 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    20charactersmax wrote:
    Return To The Mansion

This. Had a go on Directors cut the other day and hunting down Remake for the cube, I want a mansion with a secret lab with a mutant shark and spider, if they want to reboot just reboot the story from the beginning. Las Plagas was rubbish anyway. Also....

1. Go back to Cinema angles, but adopt a Siren style crossover into 1st (or 3rd for the reboot fans).

2. Go back to ZOMBIES!

3. More puzzles, less ammo.

4. Keep the close quarter grappling stuff from reboot, doing that with a rotting zombie sounds cool!

5. Less shooting more atmosphere.

6. NO CO-OP except for an Outbreak style MP mode.

7. Less muscles for Redfield

Do this and bad09 will be happy!
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Mar 2009 08:06:25 14,776 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I forgot to ref Siren 1 and 2, I still have those on ps2, great games, lots to plunder from them.

bad09 I like, no LOVE your thinking.

• Darren 18 Mar 2009 08:18:58 8,867 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Resi 6 "Return to the mansion...oh ffs lets just remake RE2"

Good lad, me and you think alike

Actually a 360/PS3 remake of Resident 2, 3 and 4 using the new engine and controls would be awesome IMO. The GameCube got an excellent remake of the first Resident Evil so why not?

Resident Evil 6 though should be designed with single player and co-op in mind, i.e. the level design, puzzles and number of enemies changes depending on whether one person is playing or two. And when one person is playing you're solo for most of the game except for a few epic set-pieces. Better still the multiplayer should be reserved for the Mercenaries/Versus modes.

Less linear level design, more puzzles and a choice between real-time or pause mode inventories would be nice as would the option to buy larger cases a la RE4. Also items in crates and barrels should not disappear if you don't collect them and you should be able to pick up stuff you've dropped rather than have them bizarrely disappear into thin air!

Finally, the controls need overhauling IMO. I don't want to be able to run and shoot but I do think that you should be able to at least walk and shoot, e.g. being able to do it while walking backwards would be useful! Also how about being able to aim and shoot without going to the over-the-shoulder view, i.e. not needing to press two buttons to do it? Also drop the context-driven melee attacks, if enemies get close then allow the player to hit or kick enemies out of the way, period.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• bad09 18 Mar 2009 08:22:14 5,954 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I forgot to ref Siren 1 and 2, I still have those on ps2, great games, lots to plunder from them.

bad09 I like, no LOVE your thinking.

Yeah exploring that village switching cameras in Siren was awesome and showed me what Capcom could have done with RE.

Still I must admit the reboot was good for one thing - Dead Space!
  • Physically_Insane 18 Mar 2009 08:22:55 8,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like the RE "action" change. RE4 was probably my favourite game last generation. I've just started playing RE5 and I'm loving it! If it keeps going in the same direction I'll be happy.
  • Darren 18 Mar 2009 08:24:34 8,867 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Resident Evil 6 should have an option to play the game in first-person once you've completed it once, a bit like an expanded version of the one from Code Veronica.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Genji 18 Mar 2009 08:30:08 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They should bring back the door-opening loading screen.

Oh, and bring back the cinematic camera that often obscures the thing that you're shooting at. I loved that. Not being able to see your target is very scary.
  • bad09 18 Mar 2009 08:32:24 5,954 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    Resident Evil 6 should have an option to play the game in first-person once you've completed it once, a bit like an expanded version of the one from Code Veronica.

Problem there is as Physically_Insane shows, there are people who like what Capcom has done with the reboot. They now need something to please both or upset one.

I don't think fans of the reboot would like being forced to play the way we want just to play again the way they want. I think the Siren method of choosing at will would be the best approach to please both.
  • Retroid Moderator 18 Mar 2009 08:32:36 44,803 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Resident Evil 6
    The controls are crap!

/Pre-empts
  • the_dudefather 18 Mar 2009 08:46:22 9,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why do people want zombies again? They have been done to death in the series and games in general

1)walk towards player
    2)nibble them them

it makes sense (storyline wise anyway) that the enemies would become more intelligent as Umbrella develops whatever vague SUPASOLJA project they are working on, and it can lead to some more interesting encounters. not saying the RE4/5 parasites are the ultimate solution, but it's in the right direction

Anyone got any ideas that aren't 'remake an old game' or 'make it more like the old games'? although I would love a RE3 remake (my favorite in the series before 4, and the only one I played through more an once)

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 18 March 2009 08:52:06
    Retroid wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Resident Evil 6
    The controls are crap!

/Pre-empts

:D

Admittedly I'm only a short way into Resi 5 but the thing I miss most from the early Resi games (particularly the mansion and police station in 1 and 2 respectively) is just level design that actually enables you to explore and expand a single location rather than just progressing through a linear succession of tenuously related locations like every other game out there. I absolutely loved the way that you'd have to plan your way through the mansion in Resi 1, carefully using your incredibly limited supply of bullets to pick off certain zombies tactically, to make certain routes through the house usable, and it's something that none of the more recent Resi games have come even close to replicating.
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Mar 2009 08:56:23 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    They should just go the whole hog and make it a first-person game. It's obviously what they've been wanting to do since Resi 4.

In fact, I'd go as far as to suggest the play through Bioshock to remind themselves how to do atmopshere, and then do something similar with more of a horror bent. In Raccoon City.
  • nickthegun 18 Mar 2009 09:01:09 60,135 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    I absolutely loved the way that you'd have to plan your way through the mansion in Resi 1, carefully using your incredibly limited supply of bullets to pick off certain zombies tactically, to make certain routes through the house usable, and it's something that none of the more recent Resi games have come even close to replicating.

Quite. There was something pretty thrilling about thinking 'Right..I have to go back through there...but those frog bastards spawn in that hallway and I have one bullet left...'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Physically_Insane 18 Mar 2009 09:06:33 8,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    nekotcha wrote:
    I absolutely loved the way that you'd have to plan your way through the mansion in Resi 1, carefully using your incredibly limited supply of bullets to pick off certain zombies tactically, to make certain routes through the house usable, and it's something that none of the more recent Resi games have come even close to replicating.

Quite. There was something pretty thrilling about thinking 'Right..I have to go back through there...but those frog bastards spawn in that hallway and I have one bullet left...'.

So you like backtracking? Play DMC4. It'll be your GOTY.
  • Wastelander 18 Mar 2009 09:10:18 1,848 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, working out exactly how you're going to accomplish something, studying the map and remembering the locations was half the fun in Resi.

REmake balances that really well. Best Resi game ever I reckon.
  • nickthegun 18 Mar 2009 09:11:23 60,135 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ive got it and I stopped playing it for that reasons.

I was actually just about to post 'be careful what you wish for'. If capcom gave us the resident evil some of seem to want it would probably be awful.

I would almost certainly complain about the back tracking being as archaic as the tank controls.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• RetardStrong 18 Mar 2009 09:15:22 3,229 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Admittedly I'm only a short way into Resi 5 but the thing I miss most from the early Resi games (particularly the mansion and police station in 1 and 2 respectively) is just level design that actually enables you to explore and expand a single location rather than just progressing through a linear succession of tenuously related locations like every other game out there. I absolutely loved the way that you'd have to plan your way through the mansion in Resi 1, carefully using your incredibly limited supply of bullets to pick off certain zombies tactically, to make certain routes through the house usable, and it's something that none of the more recent Resi games have come even close to replicating.

+1

Besides, one of the thing I really liked about REmake was the fact that when you killed a zombie, there was a chance of it becoming a red zombie who where fast as fuck and could open doors iirc. It added another layer to the gameplay, since the only way to prevent a zombie from turning into a red zombie was to burn them with petrol which was ofcourse limited in supply and took up inventory space.

I think it isn't necessary to keep a fixed camera angle, but keep ammo supply low and enemies relatively strong and hard to take down.

Or keep going in the action route with the RE series and give us a brand new survival horror game. :p
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Mar 2009 09:16:56 14,776 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:

Anyone got any ideas that aren't 'remake an old game' or 'make it more like the old games'? although I would love a RE3 remake (my favorite in the series before 4, and the only one I played through more an once)

...Right what about if Raccoon city was redeveloped, much like in Robocop (is it Detroit city?)
    It could fit into the time line,due to all the work being carried out during the latter games.

We could have loads of new locations, but in a American city/state environment. High schools, shopping malls, tower blocks ect.
    The threat could come from a site or area being dug up (the Thing anyone) during all the new buildings, anyway the site contains a T virus (M,n,p take your pick) maybe an old lab
    Anyway the virus gets leaked into the water system (I know it's not original but hay!) and spreads throughout the city. it makes the civilians rabid, then causes them to die and then ZOMBIES
    Stars get called in, including some old hands who have dealt with this sort of thing before*...
    Well it's a start

*that sounds so funny, casual reading back.

• Deleted user 18 March 2009 09:21:05
    Wouldn't it be better if Capcom had a team make a new series for the older fans of Resident Evil and did RE6 in whatever way they think will sell best?

I liked it when Capcom had greater diversity in its catalogue, with several titles that were variants on a same basic form - Dino Crisis, Clock Tower and Haunting Ground spring to mind.
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Mar 2009 09:23:01 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vertical Stand wrote:
    I liked it when Capcom had greater diversity in its catalogue, with several titles that were variants on a same basic form - Dino Crisis, Clock Tower and Haunting Ground spring to mind.
    +1
  • Wastelander 18 Mar 2009 09:23:47 1,848 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think RE was good because of its slightly ropey mechanics.
    It's not that it was broken, it was just deliberately limiting and forced you to play a certain way.

It's the same idea with Dead Rising and Dragon Quarter. Using the game mechanics to direct the way you play.

Totally divides opinion of course, and isn't going to sell to as many people as the Gears of War clone that the next one will inevitably become.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2009 09:46:32
    the_dudefather wrote:
    Why do people want zombies again? They have been done to death in the series and games in general

1)walk towards player
    2)nibble them them

it makes sense (storyline wise anyway) that the enemies would become more intelligent as Umbrella develops whatever vague SUPASOLJA project they are working on, and it can lead to some more interesting encounters. not saying the RE4/5 parasites are the ultimate solution, but it's in the right direction

Fuck, man, don't ask people to use their imagination. That's a step too far.
  • Bulbatron 18 Mar 2009 09:50:27 839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would like a return to the slower-paced days of exploration and atmosphere over action.

As for the camera angles to be used; there's no reason that I can see why they can't offer the player the choice of cinematic, over-the-shoulder or first-person camera angles.

But really, I tend to think that over-the-shoulder is probably the best compromise betwwn first-person and cinematic cameras. You still get to see your character and you still can't see around corners - so there's still room for suspense. Plus you get to keep the improved shooting mechanic. Zombies may be slow-moving, but imagine the pressure of having to get a headshot to kill them!

I would also like to see the full list of herbs used; green, red, blue and yellow!

As to enemies, well there's something gross about giant spiders, so they have to come back and they have to look really hairy! I also think that hunters should make a return. I'd love to see the character get mauled by creatues like giant spiders, hunters, zombies etc from an over-the-shoulder perpective.

While it can be a pain at times, I don't think being able to move and shoot at the same time is necessary - especially if the game goes back to a mostly slower pace.

I do agree that items should not disappear after barrels, boxes or crates have been broken. That makes no sense. Nor does losing an item you discard. You should be able to pick it up again (like in Resident Evil Zero). You should also be able to use herbs on the spot if there is no room in the inventory. And I hope we can pause during the inventory in future.

And drop co-op. I was happy enough with it's inclusion this once in Resident Evil 5, but I wouldn't want it to become a regular thing. If people want to do Resident Evil co-op, then maybe it's time for another spin-off series.

Hmm, I think that's everything. I suppose what I've just described is old-style Resident Evil, but taking the advantages gained from an over-the-shoulder camera.

At the end of the day; what did they mean by 'reboot'? Do they mean that they will completely rework the way the game is played, or are they talking about the storyline?

Wow - what a mansion!

• Genji 18 Mar 2009 09:50:48 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We're all impossible to please, basically.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2009 09:54:05
    Genji wrote:
    We're all impossible to please, basically.

Depressing isn't it.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2009 10:06:00
    OK, if I was to direct Resident Evil 6, I would keep the innovations of 5 and 4 and also return to exploration. But not padded. I don't believe in elongating an experience artificially and assume RE6 is as short and sweet as it is because of the huge amount of work involved in making it and complaints that RE4 was too long.

It's not a driving game. Angles only come into play if they suit the direction. I'll stick to the angle they have. Mechanics? Well, I'd also keep the inventory as it is in 6, only return a "backpack", not suitcase, that can be increased in size. I'd also return some form of merchant, but keep any healing system (ie herbs, which for me I'm glad they only had two - it was generally pointless otherwise) as they are in 5 and allow for between level saving, only with slots.

As for the enemies, I'd want to go to more extreme places. I love a lot of the enemies in RE6 for the sheer fucking balls of the designs in terms of how they managed to convincingly replicate them in 3D. I wouldn't return ANY old enemy. Not a single one. I'd have a new character not seen in any of the previous series and start a new strand to follow.

Naturally, being RE, some kind of infection has to come into it. Simple as. Only this time I'd set it in the South American jungle and use ancient Mayan temples as a base, something like that. Or start off in America with an infection in a modern city, New Orleans (with Leon as a guest), and have the story lead across to South America. You can't avoid cliche in these things, but something akin to The Thing, rendered very gruesomely and painfully. I'd maybe even infect the player leading to some tough player-led choices in the story, having it as a noose around your neck but also allowing for it to be used helpfully. Leon being infected in RE4 was interesting but didn't really go anywhere.

I'd probably combine more science fiction elements too.
  • Page

of 47 First / Last

Previous