Atelier Rorona Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Cappy 12 Oct 2010 10:47:33 11,940 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I definitely recall having to walk back to town through an unending stream of random battles numerous times in Atelier Iris.

There really isn't much more to say. When the director said he was taking Atelier Rorona back to the series roots he really meant it. Most of the mainstream RPG trappings added in the PS2 games have been stripped out, alchemy is back at the forefront. One other important difference would be the cultivation of social relationships, you need to help people around town so they can in turn help you, NPCs are no longer just a sprite with a few lines of dialogue, some may even accompany you into the field to help protect you from monsters.
  • FabricatedLunatic 12 Oct 2010 12:22:46 13,013 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    One other important difference would be the cultivation of social relationships, you need to help people around town so they can in turn help you, NPCs are no longer just a sprite with a few lines of dialogue, some may even accompany you into the field to help protect you from monsters.
    I like the sound of that. Games in which the player can cultivate relationships, from Steambot to Harvest Moon to Fire Emblem, never fail to sink their claws into me. It even made Luminous Arc bearable.

Plus no random battles, hooray, etc.
  • Machetazo 18 Oct 2010 22:54:21 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The front page is saying that this is out THIS WEEK. (it completely blindsided, well, me at least! :p) Retailers appear to confirm, and that. Anyone know when the reviews will be up?
  • Rauha 18 Oct 2010 22:56:23 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not sure; I doubt there's a late embargo, I'd say either tomorrow but most likey Wednesday. I'm expecting alot of 6's tbh.

But it's ordered :)
  • Machetazo 18 Oct 2010 23:02:00 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a trailer (up to 720p), the game looks good fun. :)
  • King_Edward 18 Oct 2010 23:05:21 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think they'll rush to get the review out for this one.
  • Rauha 18 Oct 2010 23:07:19 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I don't think they'll rush to get the review out for this one.

Considering the other games out this week. You might have a point; though I hope its not one of those situations where they review it after the game releases.
  • King_Edward 18 Oct 2010 23:13:34 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I hope they put Keza on it too. Seeing as he is the master.
  • King_Edward 22 Oct 2010 17:01:19 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Order from Amazon dispatched and still no EG review. Too late now.
  • Rauha 22 Oct 2010 17:10:17 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Order from Amazon dispatched and still no EG review. Too late now.

Local Game had 2 copies in. I bought 1 of them. The other will probably remain there for eternity.
  • Cappy 22 Oct 2010 17:39:21 11,940 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your review:

The best alchemy/RPG on the PS3. The only alchemy/RPG on the PS3.

After a disappointing few years from NISA in respect of quality when it comes to their localisations. Atelier Rorona so far, seems to be free of the usual typographical and grammatical errors in the script. The script is good even.

There still seem to be lingering gremlins from the prodigious bug list reported at the time of the original release. I've had one crash. One too many, it's no Fallout: New Vegas though.

Pro:
    - Refreshingly different from other home console RPG releases.
    - Suits pick up/put down gameplay with no dreary extended cut scenes or dungeons that drag on for hours, you can play as little as 10-15 minutes and still make progress.
    - One of NISA's best English language localisations.
    - A higher degree of freedom than most JRPGs.

Con:
    - Unambitious graphics that wouldn't trouble the Wii. The cel shaded style isn't entirely successful, the outlines look terribly jaggy sometimes.
    - Mandatory install. For this? It was a shock requirement for Yakuza 3, it seem even less justified here.
    - Quite small environments without much sense of exploration*.

* I'll elaborate on this one, when you are searching for ingredients it boils down to walking to a spot flagged with a highly visible icon and picking the items up. It feels a bit hollow. Actually exploring and searching as you do in a game like Fallout 3 would have felt much more satisfactory, locating things by yourself in nooks and crannies of the environment.

Edited by Cappy at 20:15:27 15-01-2013
  • Rauha 22 Oct 2010 17:54:10 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah excellent Cappy. Just a reminder: Fallout New Vegas is out for you to enjoy :)
  • King_Edward 22 Oct 2010 18:03:28 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thank you Cappy. To pick your brains on the last point. Do you only search for a few ingrediants at a time or can yo pick up and stockpile other items while you're out searching?

@Rauha 41 pounds in my local game. I can wait a day. :)
  • uiruki 22 Oct 2010 18:17:47 3,702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, I was sure I'd posted longer impressions here. Oh well.
  • Cappy 22 Oct 2010 18:19:23 11,940 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rorona has an item basket, this is used not only for things you take out of an area but items you bring in such as medicines etc. unsurprisingly for an alchemy game inventory management plays a big part.

Whenever you return to the atelier you'll have to make choices about what you keep in your limited basket space and items that are kept in a container at the workshop. To complete quests for instance, you need to ensure you're carrying the required items in your basket you can't hand items over if they're back at the workshop.

If you clear out your basket totally and don't bother with health items you've got 60 item slots which should keep you going for a week or two of item gathering before you have to go back to the atelier.
  • Rauha 22 Oct 2010 18:19:45 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    spartancog117 wrote:

What other game would you compare it to in terms exploration and the battle system?

In terms of exploration, I'd probably say other Gust games such as Mana Khemia. Each map is split up into sub maps, each of which takes a certain number of game days when you play them, no matter whether you run from one side to another or completely clear it out. For every exit you get through, another map is revealed along the corresponding route. Collection is made easy as every ingredient in your book that you have found has the location listed beside its name, and within the location the map select screen has the main collection items displayed.

As for battle, it feels very simple, even simpler than other Gust games. All special moves are done by depleting HP and you can use damage items you craft. The main wrinkle is a 'support' system, where the other two characters in battle build up a meter as they fight or take damage. You can then spend 1/3 of this meter to either do a followup basic attack if Rorona does a basic attack - which improves to follow-ups on special attacks as the character likes Rorona more - or to cover Rorona if she is about to take damage. There aren't any real story bosses, but there are a few bigger creatures scattered through the later dungeons, and you may get orders to take on an area's big creature in your sidequesting.

It certainly is a very easy game to play, and that is achieved through a little bit of simplification and a lot of interface improvements. The only thing that's missing is a better 'move items in bulk from your container to your basket' tool.
  • Rauha 22 Oct 2010 18:20:49 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just read that too. Impression I found from earlier in the thread.
  • King_Edward 23 Oct 2010 19:43:18 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I've had a 2 hours and 3 minutes session (pretty long by my standards). I'm not sure I agree with Cappy about the looks of the game. It's definitely not pretty, but I don't find it offensively ugly. I'd put it on a par with a mid-budget PS2 game.

All in all I'm enjoying it. The foraging areas are way too linear, which is a shame, and the combat is incredibly plain. But the Alchemy, item management and reputation building are interesting. And the whole game has a lovely, layed back feel.

With delays for LBP and GT5 does that technically make this the PS3s biggest, hardcore exclusive christmas release? :-)

• Rauha 25 Oct 2010 10:14:41 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just a little note:

If your games look like they'd run on a PS2; then please price them as PS2 games. The game would've sold better in the summer at a price of 25.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted