Atelier Rorona Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Cappy 28 Apr 2009 18:59:44 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just as long as it doesn't play like Eternal Sonata.
  • itamae 28 Apr 2009 23:49:32 9,897 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disc wrote:
    The environment really does look like a PS2 game.
    Considering that the environment in previous Atelier games looked like upscaled PS1 graphics, that's quite the generation leap. I wish it actually was a PS2 game though...
  • Cappy 29 Apr 2009 09:27:05 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Depends what you're looking for really, for instance I'm still seeing the same shockingly bad things in the latest Uncharted 2 screens. It's pretty easy to pick holes in the graphics of even the most polished games.

Eternal Sonata is a bit of a cheat, it might as well be a 2D game for the most part, no camera control and the view is zoomed out all the time apart from cut scenes. With the camera closer up, under user control it wouldn't get off so lightly. The fixed camera, even in battle scenes, infuriated me no end since it often hid enemies outside the frame.
  • Cappy 29 Apr 2009 09:42:10 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are some really odd looking things happening with character models in Uncharted 2.

Look at Drake in the first shot. Typically I can't find the most retarded example when I want it. Weird things happening with the shoulders as I've said before. He also seems to have turtle DNA since his neck and head seem to be sinking into his torso. A defensive reflex perhaps?
  • Cappy 12 Jun 2009 09:58:32 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dengeki review scores are in.

90/85/80/75

Summary
    Random page from the review?
  • FabricatedLunatic 12 Jun 2009 10:11:00 13,040 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ngggh! Must... resist... cute anime girls!

Very pretty. But then, as has been mentioned, so is Eternal Sonata...
  • Fonzie 12 Jun 2009 13:48:12 1,874 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Dengeki review scores are in.

90/85/80/75

Summary
    Random page from the review?

What does that translate to? Can't read Japanese.
  • uiruki 12 Jun 2009 14:21:07 3,766 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quick read of the first (90) and last (75) - The guy likes it because it's reminiscent of the older Atelier games. Though the story's easy enough to get through, there's so much stuff on the side it's easy to get really caught up in it. He said that having to take note of lots of different effects from items felt very "alchemist-y", and that there's a lot of freedom in making items as the number ingredients increases. In fact, as someone who liked Atelier Elie, he said it was enjoyable enough to clear all in one go. He wraps up by saying it's the kind of game where you do the same thing many times, but not in a negative way, and if you enjoy that sort of thing it's excellent.

The 75 guy had a lot of little niggles in it. He liked the battles and the easy to use quest map (one button lets you call up your objectives on the map) and messing about with carryable containers and boxes. On the other hand, he didn't like the item management system, he thought the camera angle wasn't great, the 'sort' command is inconsistent and you have to get really close to people to talk to them - he suggested an icon should appear when you can talk to them.

In all, it seems like a great, grindy RPG for someone who likes experimenting a lot with item creation systems, with a fun battle system and a couple of little niggles which seem easy enough to overlook. I'd look at the other two guys' but the photo of the page is sufficiently low resolution that I have to squint to make out the characters on my 20" monitor, and I'm out of practice anyway.
  • Cappy 12 Jun 2009 14:30:44 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks uiruki! :-)

Sounds like the game long time fans were hoping for with more focus on the alchemy and item creation elements than the more standard RPG trappings.
  • Fonzie 12 Jun 2009 14:54:48 1,874 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for that Uiruki.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2009 18:14:22
    Sounds great! But I'm still only getting it because the guy making it is so nice. :)
  • Scimarad 12 Jun 2009 18:50:47 8,638 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I curious to play this if it's more like the old Atelier games. The only one I've really played is the first one on the PS2.
  • Cappy 19 Jun 2009 10:00:29 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some new Atelier Rorona screens from Magic Box.

These must be shots from the final build now. The characters look nice but the backgrounds have a very flat, sterile feel to them. Everything is in perfect focus and objects seem to float, like the benches on the third shot on the first page. There really isn't any sense of space or weight.

I'm still hoping NISA have an announcement coming up for an English version soon. You can command kittens to attack people. that's a unique selling point if there ever was one. :-)
  • Deleted user 19 June 2009 10:20:49
    Looks really shit, sounds like it plays really good.
  • Deleted user 19 June 2009 17:53:40
    There just ain't enough of this shit anymore. :(
  • Cappy 27 Jun 2009 11:46:05 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First day sales are in:

Atelier Rorona: Arland no Renkinjutsushi (PS3, Gust) - 21,900

Not that great but absolutely everything was crushed by Wii Sports Resort. Hopefully it's got a bit of staying power like Valkyria Chronicles.
  • Cappy 22 Jul 2009 21:19:40 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Slightly old news, hints that NISA are working on bringing Atelier Rorona over to the States.

Lets hope they don't screw this one up with a poorly judged English script or game breaking bugs.
  • uiruki 22 Jul 2009 21:30:53 3,766 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Keep thinking about buying this. I'd have gotten it when it came out but NCSX preordered out their first shipment :(
  • Cappy 22 Jul 2009 21:57:02 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Make sure you check to see if they've fixed/are going to fix the bugs before you buy. I hear Rorona has a few. :-)
  • uiruki 22 Jul 2009 22:04:53 3,766 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ahh, thanks for the heads up - there's a list in Japanese here. Huge list, and some mad stuff, too - starts off with items' names not displaying properly in the box view, through a bunch of freezes, unobtainable trophies, impossible side quests, New Game Plus not giving you your money back if you don't skip the intro, and so on. I stopped reading at the red text saying "WARNING - DON'T READ UNLESS YOU HAVE TO AS IT WILL TOTALLY DESTROY THE BALANCE OF THE GAME."

edit: I read it. Seriously, did they not even test it?
  • Cappy 22 Jul 2009 22:13:20 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hopefully they'll do a plus or Best edition, a patch for everybody with the original version would be nice too. If there is an English version in the works it's good for Japanese gamers too since it gives them an added incentive to tackle as many of the bugs as they can.
  • uiruki 22 Jul 2009 22:20:15 3,766 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Judging by the blog post they made, it may well be a 'we just tested this on one version of the PS3 with one version of the firmware' type howler.
  • Cappy 10 Sep 2009 22:36:35 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not entirely unexpected news.

Apparently work is already underway on a European localisation. :-)

No word on the status of a US release but it's early days yet. Perhaps it's a reversal on the usual trend, much like the Dreamcast which was more popular in Europe than the States we could start to get an edge over the US when it comes to releases on the PS3.

They've already had to get off their arses to figure out how to import Agarest: Generations of War, perhaps this game will be next.
  • uiruki 10 Sep 2009 23:45:11 3,766 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played through this after importing it. Really relaxing game, with a really relaxed story. There's a plot point waaaaay in the distance that is set out at the start, and you sort of menader your way towards it. Pretty refreshing if you ask me. You might call it short for a JRPG at about 30 hours, but the replay value is certainly there, thanks to the multiple endings.

As for bugs, I crashed once overall.
  • uiruki 13 Sep 2009 12:01:45 3,766 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Was it fun though? Meandering, sort of says to me that it might not be that challenging.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. It appeals more to the 'collection' instincts - filling up pages of your recipe book, getting superior ingredients to get the perfect version of each item - than the part of you that craves challenge. I certainly didn't mind though; a high level of challenge in battles wouldn't have fitted the game, in my opinion.
  • Deleted user 13 September 2009 12:05:34
    uiruki wrote:
    disc wrote:
    Was it fun though? Meandering, sort of says to me that it might not be that challenging.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. It appeals more to the 'collection' instincts - filling up pages of your recipe book, getting superior ingredients to get the perfect version of each item - than the part of you that craves challenge. I certainly didn't mind though; a high level of challenge in battles wouldn't have fitted the game, in my opinion.

What other game would you compare it to in terms exploration and the battle system?
  • uiruki 13 Sep 2009 12:49:21 3,766 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spartancog117 wrote:

What other game would you compare it to in terms exploration and the battle system?

In terms of exploration, I'd probably say other Gust games such as Mana Khemia. Each map is split up into sub maps, each of which takes a certain number of game days when you play them, no matter whether you run from one side to another or completely clear it out. For every exit you get through, another map is revealed along the corresponding route. Collection is made easy as every ingredient in your book that you have found has the location listed beside its name, and within the location the map select screen has the main collection items displayed.

As for battle, it feels very simple, even simpler than other Gust games. All special moves are done by depleting HP and you can use damage items you craft. The main wrinkle is a 'support' system, where the other two characters in battle build up a meter as they fight or take damage. You can then spend 1/3 of this meter to either do a followup basic attack if Rorona does a basic attack - which improves to follow-ups on special attacks as the character likes Rorona more - or to cover Rorona if she is about to take damage. There aren't any real story bosses, but there are a few bigger creatures scattered through the later dungeons, and you may get orders to take on an area's big creature in your sidequesting.

It certainly is a very easy game to play, and that is achieved through a little bit of simplification and a lot of interface improvements. The only thing that's missing is a better 'move items in bulk from your container to your basket' tool.
  • Deleted user 13 September 2009 13:21:50
    Thanks Uiruki, looking forward to this, consider me very interested.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2009 14:09:53
    http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/09/17/nis-localizing-atelier-rorona-for-english-audiences/
  • Cappy 10 Mar 2010 18:17:50 12,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are rumours of a sequel getting revealed next week.

Hurry up NISA, we haven't got the first one yet.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last