Atelier Rorona

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Blerk Moderator 13 Mar 2009 09:31:01 48,225 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some good news for PS3 RPG fans at last!

Full reveal at the end of the month.
  • Stickman 13 Mar 2009 09:35:03 29,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ooooh, it makes my motor run. Motor run. When's it coming out, Atelieeeer Rorona?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Everblue 13 Mar 2009 10:10:04 462 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OMG.
  • ilmaestro 14 Mar 2009 07:03:17 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, what a fucking great photo that is of the mag article.

• Everblue 14 Mar 2009 07:10:45 462 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Seeing as this is a dev who usually create these smaller budget sprite based games I'm guessing we'll see a Disgaea 3 type effort.

Please noooooooooo :(

HD sprites with HD backgrounds please. All in 2D of course.
  • JinTypeNoir 14 Mar 2009 08:11:18 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pleeeease be a return to pre-Atelier Iris gameplay! (There's a good sign of it, since the just-released Atelier Annie is like that and the advertisement has the catch copy, "Tired of saving the world?") Pleeeease, pretty please Gust, go back to your high quality kick ass days!

Oh and don't put yourself out of business trying to make it HD. S'not important.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2009 08:23:23
    What sort of games did they make before Atilier Iris?

I played AI 1 & 2. finished the first, but got stuck on the second, but I loved them both, even if I can't remember much about them.
  • Everblue 14 Mar 2009 10:02:11 462 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Pleeeease be a return to pre-Atelier Iris gameplay! (There's a good sign of it, since the just-released Atelier Annie is like that and the advertisement has the catch copy, "Tired of saving the world?") Pleeeease, pretty please Gust, go back to your high quality kick ass days!

Oh and don't put yourself out of business trying to make it HD. S'not important.

I dont think Sony will be pleased with letting a PS2 game being sold as a PS3 game...

BTW, meanwhile Cross Edge/X-Edge is coming out in a few months in the US, might be interesting too.
  • JinTypeNoir 14 Mar 2009 10:26:08 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think Sony has any choice in the matter, nor should they, if they want a successful platform.

Before Atelier Iris, the main character was always a woman who needed to learn alchemy for some reason that didn't involve saving the world, whether it was to help the economy of her village, return home, or some sort of better storytelling goal than "You're the hero!" The game was non-linearly arranged around accepting orders for alchemical items, going out on a camping trips to collect the ingredients, hiring bodyguards to help you fight monsters and working out your relationships with them, as well as entering contests, managing shops, taking tests and so on as the clock ticks down the days and years to one of the multiple endings.

The characters were written better, the style of the setting was more unique, the alchemy system was deeper, the games stood out more: the old Atelier were in all ways far superior to the new ones.
  • Everblue 17 Mar 2009 12:29:49 462 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    3d :(
  • Cappy 17 Mar 2009 12:32:58 11,832 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is that surprising?

There won't be much change in the overall look of the game, just the sprites on the play field getting swapped out. Consoles are powerful enough now to replace them with 3D models that can retain the charm of the sprites (hopefully).

Much like Disgaea 3, drawn 2D portraits will still be used in lieu of expensive 3D cut scenes with voice acting for character interactions. 2D works well and allows for a decent level of presentation even for minor characters giving the game a consistent feel.
  • Everblue 17 Mar 2009 12:48:05 462 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I dont know what to say.... I admit that the lowres sprites look aweful in Disgaea 3, but I was hoping that the new Atelier gets hand-drawn sprites, in HD, which did not happen. At least 3D sprites look better than lower res 2D ones anyway. I assume that the backgrounds will be in 2D as well?
  • Cappy 17 Mar 2009 13:19:22 11,832 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Being 3D never stopped Wind Waker or Okami from having bags of charm.

All the character interaction scenes will still be 2D in Atelier Rorona, 3D is just being used in the areas where it's beneficial.
  • ilmaestro 19 Mar 2009 20:43:38 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had "Looks totally guff" already typed in before I checked the screenies, but that looks great!

• Scimarad 19 Mar 2009 20:47:49 8,530 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That looks fantastic! Then again, so did ES.
  • JinTypeNoir 19 Mar 2009 22:35:54 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, an Atelier game that's not in 2D. Quite surprising. And a little bit reassuring, as it doesn't look nearly as expensive to make as HD 2D would be, so Gust can stay in business! Yay!
  • Deleted user 19 March 2009 22:44:03
    Wow... that does look quite tasty.

Hope it gets released over here with Japanese voices.
    They have a habit of casting the same 4 year old American brats to do the english language voice overs on all these games.
  • Everblue 21 Mar 2009 14:25:05 462 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be honest, I am very disappointed. The game now looks just like all the other Japanese RPGs :(

Nonetheless, it STILL looks good.
  • Widge Moderator 21 Mar 2009 21:10:26 13,268 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really, lots of the stuff I've seen from RPGs so far looks like a substandard FFXII HD upgrade.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Zaltan 23 Mar 2009 22:15:44 78 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RPG's have been awful this generation so hopefully this might be a turnaround.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2009 18:10:04
    @Zaltan

I know it's been mentioned in every thread possible but, buy Valkyria Chronicles.
  • Zaltan 24 Mar 2009 20:39:56 78 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Eddy-the-Ed wrote:
    @Zaltan

I know it's been mentioned in every thread possible but, buy Valkyria Chronicles.
    Where can you find it cheap? Sub 25.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2009 22:49:32
    Amazon have it for 24.99. Probably won't find it much cheaper :-\

There's a demo on PSN, so try that first, but it doesn't do the game justice.
  • Widge Moderator 25 Mar 2009 10:32:49 13,268 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The demo makes you think the game is a pushover, environments and challenges are basic.

They're not.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 27 March 2009 17:49:05
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 27 March 2009 17:50:06
    disc wrote:
    Site was updated with details and a blog post from the director.

Hello everyone. My name is Okamura and I am the director for the title, "Atelier Rorona". First off, I'm very grateful for the fortune to be able to announce this title.

I'm still shocked, after all these years here, with my first major role being responsible for the development of Gust's first foray into the PS3, but until the release date, I promise to put everything along with the staff into the game to create a "nostalgic and fresh" Atelier game that everyone can enjoy, so please be looking forward to it.

Now that that's out of the way, since this is the first entry, let me start with a brief explanation of the title and what not.

If you've played the Atelier series up to now, I'm sure you've been having high hopes for the game, imagining what the game might be like and what not, but this Atelier will be the first in a new series that revisits putting heavy emphasis on crafting.
    That said, though, we're not looking to just return to our roots. We've soul searched through previous entries in this series to guide us towards that "nostalgic and fresh" Atelier. The questions of great importance we came to realize were:

What was the first Atelier we were exposed to?
    What was the first Atelier we created?
    What was our most favorite Atelier?

This may be obvious, but there is no one right answer to any of those questions. Combining the answers to the above questions and all of our experiences to this date; all those points are, in various manners, connected to the phrase "Welcome home-"

It may be difficult to fulfill all of our and your desires. Even so, we wanted to take a definite step in a new direction with a purpose, and that's how this title "Atelier Rorona" was born. And finally, nothing would make me happier as both an employee of GUST and as someone who's been involved in the Atelier series, than if Atelier fans of all generations are able to start to comprehend the "new shape of Atelier" by experiencing this game's story,

I've rambled on a little bit, but I hope everyone has been able to see a glimpse into the thoughts that I'm trying to convey. I'm sure you'll follow along with my future rambling, but please me nice to me.

Anyhow, let us meet again at my next blog entry; adieu~
    (Stolen from the GAF, they have a good purpose)
    :D
    He seems really nice. I'm gonna buy two copies
  • itamae 27 Mar 2009 18:30:56 9,859 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I agree, he sounds like a genuinely nice guy. Let's hope he can get the series back on track.
  • Cappy 28 Apr 2009 16:12:35 11,832 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A new batch of shots up at Magic Box.

Maybe it's my imagination but they look considerably more polished than the last lot, the game is looking good. The real selling point for me though is that it appears you can command kittens to attack enemies.

That's not going to be topped any time soon. :-)
  • Deleted user 28 April 2009 17:44:46
    Awe, they're so cute XD
  • Aretak 28 Apr 2009 18:55:48 10,346 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    A new batch of shots up at Magic Box.

Maybe it's my imagination but they look considerably more polished than the last lot, the game is looking good.
    It still looks considerably worse than Eternal Sonata though in the battle shots, which is its closest visual neighbour this gen (at least that's been released outside of Japan). The characters and enemies look nice, but the battle arenas look like something upscaled from a PS2 game.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous