Microsoft possibly scrapping the Elite SKU?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • kissthestick 7 Mar 2009 06:41:03 1,003 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Could sales of the Xbox Elite be ending?
    Written by David Stellmack
    Friday, 06 March 2009 05:24

Exclusive: Sources tell us that this is the case in some areas

We have been following a rumor that we have been hearing from a couple of our sources that suggests Microsoft may be ending the sale of the Xbox 360 Elite in many parts of the world, with the Elite moving into a more limited edition role in the Xbox 360 console line up.

The story that we are hearing goes something like this…Microsoft will stop taking orders for the Xbox 360 Elite at some point during the second quarter and allow inventory of the Elite consoles to start to run down. The majority of retailers would prefer just a low-end and a high-end console, so this change will be made during the second quarter, which is the fourth fiscal quarter for Microsoft.

Once inventory is depleted, the Elite system will move to more of a limited edition role that will be available only at select retailers, and likely only in North America and Europe. The Elite consoles that will be available in these areas should be more like the recent Resident Evil 5 Red Elite Limited Edition console, rather than the standard Elite package that Microsoft has offered in the past.

It is possible that the price tag on these Elite limited edition consoles could be higher, but they will be themed and likely include a top shelf title like Microsoft is doing with the Resident Evil 5 Red Elite Limited Edition console.

As part of this transition, our sources continue to tell us that Microsoft will begin offering a larger hard drive that is bigger than the 120GB drive that they are currently offering for those that either have an Arcade model and want to add the hard drive or those that have a Pro system and want to upgrade.

The decision to move away from the Elite, according to what we have been hearing, has more to do with money and the economy than it does with anything else. Retailers do not want to stock high-priced Elite systems, which tend to sit on the shelves longer than the Arcade and Pro systems.

In addition, the majority of Elite consoles are sold to hardcore gamers who know that they want an Elite and to that end Microsoft does not need to have every retailer offering the Elite as an option. From what we have been told, with the more Limited Edition format for the Elite, Microsoft can likely make a few more dollars from the console because of its limited edition nature.

While the entire thing is still in the planning process, our sources say that Microsoft has already been working with their assembly partners in Asia on this plan in an effort to finalize it, but only if it makes the best economic sense.

We expect to hear more about this over the next couple of weeks, and as with anything plans could change, but we expect that Microsoft will be watching sales of the Resident Evil 5 Red Elite console bundle closely to confirm if their sales numbers tell them that they should move in this direction. We will let you know more once we hear more.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12430&Itemid=1
  • sanctusmortis 7 Mar 2009 11:07:51 9,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What with the 60gb being so popular, it makes sense.
  • Darren 7 Mar 2009 11:13:12 8,819 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Microsoft are going to sell a larger HDD than the current 120 GB one?

/shudders at the thought of the grossly inflated price tag it will have

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Retroid Moderator 7 Mar 2009 11:16:47 44,725 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think you'll find it'll push the other ones down in price, so good news ^___^
  • RedSparrows 7 Mar 2009 11:26:29 22,628 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hmmm, if the 120gb one got cheaper I'd be happy

'lol'
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2009 11:45:46 54,178 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would be a shame to lose the black version. I hate white consoles.
  • phAge 7 Mar 2009 12:54:40 24,371 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Racist.
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2009 13:29:50 54,178 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Racist.
    No white consoles in my house damnit.
  • kipper 7 Mar 2009 14:03:10 181 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Would be a shame to lose the black version. I hate white consoles.

I don't see why anyone would be bothered about the colour when they buy a console, as with skins and faceplates you can make it pretty much any colour you want, for little cost.

Gamertag: Brit anime fan

• Deleted user 7 March 2009 14:08:13
    kipper wrote:
    skins and faceplates...

Look cheap and crappy.
  • jellyhead 7 Mar 2009 14:18:45 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    phAge wrote:
    Racist.
    No... Dreamcast?

Your house is a barren desert, a soulless void of unfulfilled potential. I weep for you. :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Red-Moose 7 Mar 2009 14:19:33 5,346 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why say SKU? It's not a warehouse.

Just say scrapping the Elite, because, clearly, they will keep the SKU in a reduced volume.
  • jellyhead 7 Mar 2009 14:25:34 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's trendy to use the "industry" terms, well it would be if it wasn't the bloody retail industry!
    *sigh*
    / facepalm

SKU = Stock Keeping Unit. There we go, magic dispelled can we go back to calling them "games" and "consoles" now? There again i suppose this could be classed as a retail indutry discussion so carry on.

• Psychotext 7 Mar 2009 14:28:48 54,178 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    phAge wrote:
    Racist.
    No... Dreamcast?

Your house is a barren desert, a soulless void of unfulfilled potential. I weep for you. :)

http://www.shinforce.com/dreamcast/DC-SportsPack.jpg

:)

I'll also eventually get a modded black Wii if they don't release one.
  • jellyhead 7 Mar 2009 14:29:48 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's a motherloving beautiful Dreamcast :)

• Xerx3s 7 Mar 2009 14:56:49 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    hmmm, if the 120gb one got cheaper I'd be happy

'lol'

It did, It's around 60 to 70 euro now. Bordering on expensive but at least it's somewhat in acceptable regions now.
  • seasidebaz 7 Mar 2009 18:07:00 6,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    It's trendy to use the "industry" terms, well it would be if it wasn't the bloody retail industry!
    *sigh*
    / facepalm

SKU = Stock Keeping Unit. There we go, magic dispelled can we go back to calling them "games" and "consoles" now? There again i suppose this could be classed as a retail indutry discussion so carry on.
    Touch base, offline gathering, product, etc etc
  • Peew971 7 Mar 2009 18:30:31 4,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I desperately need a HDD bigger than 120GB. DLC now tends to be around 1GB and more, and with installation of games I always need to delete a demo/video before getting a new one.
  • seasidebaz 7 Mar 2009 20:54:12 6,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Peew971 wrote:
    I desperately need a HDD bigger than 120GB. DLC now tends to be around 1GB and more, and with installation of games I always need to delete a demo/video before getting a new one.
    I have 4 games installed, about 10 demos, various DLCs, and still have 18.5Gb free. And that's on a 60Gb HDD.

Although I wouldn't say no to a 240 gigger.
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2009 22:18:29 54,178 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are about 10 people here that would happily loan you the transfer kit. As for the price... it's easily to find them considerably cheaper than RRP.
  • JaysonG 12 Mar 2009 16:57:59 828 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you buy an elite now and trade in your current 360 it's only a few quid more than buying a 120Gb HDD on it's own, mental.
  • MrSpew 13 Mar 2009 00:08:01 970 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The 60GB HDD comes with a 3 month Live sub (sell it for a tenner), headset (fiver), then you have a 60GB hard drive for £45 at the very most unless you shop around. I have a spare 60GB too I could post out for £43 myself.
  • PES_Fanboy 13 Mar 2009 00:12:44 15,837 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really don't know why there was need to have so many different models, both for the 360 and the PS3, I've not really followed or kept track of them all since launch.

Now, it makes sense to have the Core/Arcade/Tardpack cos the console is so flaky, and nobody wants to buy all the other crud again, but at the time I didn't understand it.

Hopefully both the reliability and the confusion around the models will be things both companies will learn from this gen.
  • Retroid Moderator 13 Mar 2009 00:31:34 44,725 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The only confusion with the 360 models is what else comes in the box.
  • PES_Fanboy 13 Mar 2009 00:34:32 15,837 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Erm, and which chipset is the least fucked, and which model it's in?
  • Retroid Moderator 13 Mar 2009 02:51:59 44,725 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chipset is entirely down to how fast they're sold and replaced by newly manufactured stock. That's it.

The Elite has on general sold slower because of the higher price, the Arcades faster because they're bargain basement, that's why people were saying the newer MBs were appearing in the Arcades before the Elites.
  • BartonFink 13 Mar 2009 07:07:28 34,896 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Erm, and which chipset is the least fucked, and which model it's in?
    Jasper and Arcades apparently.
  • JaysonG 13 Mar 2009 08:09:24 828 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    some germans have found elites in jaspers

sorry, germans have found jaspers in elites
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous