Test Drive Unlimited 2 Page 14

• Page

of 89 First / Last

• Deleted user 6 February 2011 10:08:43
    Yea TDU is my fave racer since Le Mans on DC (both by Melbourne House btw) so I get the love.
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Feb 2011 10:11:56 15,388 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Continental Circus (Continental Circuit)

Greatest racer ever, for me at least.

n@ are you getting on 360 ? if so we shall meet on the tarmac

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 6 February 2011 10:13:56
    PC for me but I might pick up a console version n'all...
  • WinterSnowblind 6 Feb 2011 10:17:49 1,250 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gooner77 wrote:
    I'm keeping an eye out for reviews and will cancel if they're generally bad

If it helps, going by the beta (which may not be completely indicative of the final game) the gameplay was alright.. But everything else felt very poorly put together. There's far too much focus on the "real world" and interactive elements which all completely suck. The customisation is very limited, the stores feel very fake and forced and the gambling seems utterly pointless and nobody really seemed to want to interact with each other, beyond challenging each other to races.

Some of the events are quite fun, I did like the fact that if a player keeps breaking the law (or hitting other cars) he builds up a wanted level and other players can become the police and have to try and take them down. But that just made me want to play Need for Speed, everything else was pretty meh.

But this is pretty much how I felt about the first game as well, so if you liked that..
  • agparrot 6 Feb 2011 11:28:45 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Perhaps I'll get the first game againd and give it a proper blast, while this one matures.

Found the seat height and depth really important for in-car views in the first, can't quite believe they've taken it out.

It still has controller steering sensitivity adjustment, does it?
  • Deleted user 6 February 2011 12:13:15
    @Duffman : I'm sure that you'll enjoy this mate since you seem to like/play open-world games in general, no ? :)
    If you're looking for a time-sink game with rpg-ish elements this one'll be for you.

@ mangojoe : Unfortunately not, i'm playing with a joypad.

@ Agparrot : Yep, controller steering sensitivity is in mate (amongst other things).
  • brseg 6 Feb 2011 12:26:54 679 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've watched all the teamvvv vids, there doesnt really seem to be much reward for discovering bits of the island? He travels for ages and encounters nothing really, no collectibles apart from the car wrecks. OK, you hope to find a showroom, but they're even rarer.

Anyway, I also hope reviewers can look beyond the naff cut-scenes/voice-acting (which I think I can).

Have looked in the official forums, nobody who got the game early seems to be *that* excited. :(
  • Deleted user 6 February 2011 12:37:48
    brseg wrote:
    I've watched all the teamvvv vids, there doesnt really seem to be much reward for discovering bits of the island? He travels for ages and encounters nothing really, no collectibles apart from the car wrecks. OK, you hope to find a showroom, but they're even rarer.

Anyway, I also hope reviewers can look beyond the naff cut-scenes/voice-acting (which I think I can).

Have looked in the official forums, nobody who got the game early seems to be *that* excited. :(

Everything's tied to your leveling up meter, by exploring the island you get to level up the "exploration" progress bar which counts towards your total/general level.
    There are in-game specific goals (something like an in-game achievements system) which you can turn on at any time via the player menu and it'll show up on the screen.
    There's 4-5 different level-up categories : exploration, collection, racing (or somethin'like that) and socialization - each one (again) counts towards your total level.

Besides that, and always regarding the exploration (or free-roam if you prefer), there's "Wrecks" to be found, find 3-4 pieces of 'em (don't recall the exact number) and you can turn them into a car.
    Also, the photo-mode is a proper mini-game this time around as you'll have to find specific spots on the map to take pictures of.

So no, the free-roam mate is definitely not a "tacked-on" or half-arsed element in the game :)
  • brseg 6 Feb 2011 12:51:10 679 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thx for the info klem. It just looked to me like the map wasnt very populated.
    The rpg-like categories sound cool. Does the exploration category, or map, remember every road you've been down? (you'd surely never remember yourself).
  • agparrot 6 Feb 2011 13:26:32 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    brseg wrote:
    The rpg-like categories sound cool. Does the exploration category, or map, remember every road you've been down? (you'd surely never remember yourself).

In the VVV vids, the roads untravelled are grey, and the travelled ones go Blue, I think.

Also in Free Ride Instant Money I think things like drifting, Near Misses and maybe speeding gain you money you can either 'bank' or try and build up by doing more of 'em, for more money, before banking. I think.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2011 14:32:18
    agparrot wrote:
    brseg wrote:

In the VVV vids, the roads untravelled are grey, and the travelled ones go Blue, I think.

Also in Free Ride Instant Money I think things like drifting, Near Misses and maybe speeding gain you money you can either 'bank' or try and build up by doing more of 'em, for more money, before banking. I think.

Spot-on Parrot :)

Basically :

unexplored roads = grey
    explored roads = blue
    explored off-road routes = yellow
    tunnels = dark blue

brseg, you can also "bookmark" every location/landmark/"cool" spots (just like in TDU1) you've already been to for quick access - this is for landmarks/locations, you can always travel back (teleport basically) to every explored part of the road too.

Ah yes, some in-game items (haircuts/clothing etc) are tied to the % of the map explored, for example, being able to buy "casual suit and tie" requires a certain percentage of "Ibiza 1" roads discovered - Ibiza is divided in 2 parts while Hawaii in 4...

Better go out and explore if you want to equip your character with fancy equipment/accessories ! :)
  • agparrot 7 Feb 2011 10:23:27 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know klem is doing excellent work keeping us updated, but we shouldn't forget Alan, who is also still beavering away on his videos, and talking about doing more even post-review, over on the Team VVV Youtube feed.

He does Audis, Scenic Tour Part 3, and the sexeh car wash, plus getting on a plane to Hawaii.
  • gizmo 7 Feb 2011 10:45:09 2,051 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I did have this on pre-order, but I'm going to wait till it drops in price - seem to remember the original did almost instantly (I pre-ordered), and this one sounds very likely to as well. My pet hate is sequels with missing features...
  • agparrot 7 Feb 2011 10:48:58 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gizmo wrote:
    I did have this on pre-order, but I'm going to wait till it drops in price - seem to remember the original did almost instantly, and this one sounds very likely too as well. My pet hate is sequels with missing features...

I don't know why it annoys me so much that they've taken out the seat adjustment thingy. I have been back to the demo of TDU1 a couple of times, and even with the three demo cars, the Ferrari F430, The Mustang and the AC Cobra, it is clear to see how being able to move the driving position means you can, you know, actually see out of the windscreen rather than stare at the ceiling or window supports of the car.

Maybe klem just hasn't checked enough of the options yet, and it is hidden somewhere.

I feel that I am going to go out and get TDU1 again - I never gave it enough love, and then by the time I'm done with that, TDU2 will indeed be a little bit cheaper.

Either that, or I'm going to rush out to town on Friday, get '2 and play it for so many hours that a drop in price will not be a drop in value.
  • SomaticSense 7 Feb 2011 12:24:38 9,133 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    klem578 wrote:
    First impressions :

This definitely feels rough around the edges : The avatar thing and voice-overs are cringe-god-dayumn-worthy, there's noticeable tearing, framerate drops aplenty (which are mostly due to lag depending on the number of players respawning/playing in the same area as you) , only 2 radio stations (compared to TDU1's 3-4), the camera lock feature has been taken out just like the GPS zoom-in/out function and finally, a feature that i especially liked in the first TDU - the custom in-game radio station is also absent from the sequel...
    Oh yes, you can't customize anymore your seat's position for the cockpit view either.

What. The. Fuck.

Seriously thinking about cancelling my pre-order now. Why the hell did they remove those? I can understand them removing stuff for technical reasons, but they definitely don't qualify.

The best things about the first was cruising around to my own integrated soundtrack (the guide option just isn't a substitute, sorry). And removing HUD map zoom. WHY? What the fuck are the d-pad buttons used for now? Your character's 'wank' buttons?

None of the positives matter to me at all now, as it'd be like eating a chocolate cake without the delicious chocolately icing all over the top. It just isn't the game I was anticipating, however shallow that sounds. I was the little stuff that set it apart, I can buy any other 'open-world' racer if the details didn't matter to me...

/rant over
  • agparrot 7 Feb 2011 15:12:25 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Completely agree about the little things, Somatic - it's what made it feel like you were driving a car in a game, rather than just sort of playing a game.

It has made me go out and buy TDU1 from the bargain bins, think I'm going to swing around Oahu until TDU2 is at least the price of the DLC cheaper for new.
  • Whizzo 7 Feb 2011 15:16:55 43,342 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm thinking of hitting the cancel on my pre-order, this is all sounding rather disappointing.

edit: as it comes out tomorrow in the US of A I assume the review embargo expires then as well?

This space left intentionally blank.

• agparrot 7 Feb 2011 15:20:07 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can't even suggest putting the seat position back in on the official Forums yet... they aren't taking any comments or suggestions until release day, apparently.

I'm sure that it will be great fun to play, don't get me wrong - I love these massive open thingies with freedom and whatnot, I just love 'em. I don't even mind a bit of Home Avatar stuff, to be honest, if only for the comedy value. The thought of the gradual XP gain for 5 different areas of game also excites me greatly.

I might even still get it, come Friday, if I am weak. I'm just moaning on the internet really. Nothing to see here.
  • Dave_McCoy 7 Feb 2011 17:44:11 2,807 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:

edit: as it comes out tomorrow in the US of A I assume the review embargo expires then as well?

EG review at 5pm tomorrow apparently.

It will probably seal this games fate for me. Buy or not? I'd hate to be left out of some hot TDU2 action come Friday night.
  • agparrot 7 Feb 2011 17:46:16 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:

EG review at 5pm tomorrow apparently.

It will probably seal this games fate for me. Buy or not? I'd hate to be left out of some hot TDU2 action come Friday night.

I predict a 4, or a 5, out of 10 from EG.

I predict this because in the 'what is out this week' article, the guy who predicts the charts for this week says TDU2 won't be in the top 5 because it handles like a fisher-price toy, or something.

Have you played TDU1 Mr McCoy? I'll play that with you! It has custom playlists, and you can adjust the seat position so that the in-car views for cars with tiny windscreens isn't shite!
  • brseg 7 Feb 2011 18:05:42 679 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oh… I usually skim the 'whats out this week' article, and didnt spot the comment about TDU2. If it scores 4/10 I'll get it via the bargain bin, I still want to explore that island and cruise around. Would be a hugely disappointing score though, the game had so much potential.
    Can the handling be *that* bad? teamVVV chap seemed able to drive around without too much trouble.
  • agparrot 7 Feb 2011 18:17:04 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    brseg wrote:
    Can the handling be *that* bad? teamVVV chap seemed able to drive around without too much trouble.

I think it depends on the cars - the Zondas, and some of those Audis looked absolutely fine - even the Audi S3 he found very manageable, but then you get the Golf, and from what klem says the Mustang, which just seem to spin out uncontrollably without chance of a recovery, from what people are saying (including on the TDU2 official forums).

I suppose you could skirt your way around these poorly-handling cars and use something that handles properly... but this seems to be a bit stupid.

Can I still play music from my MP3 player like, through the dashboard thingy, and mute the ingame music, klem/anybody?
  • Deleted user 7 February 2011 18:41:14
    agparrot wrote:
    brseg wrote:

I think it depends on the cars - the Zondas, and some of those Audis looked absolutely fine - even the Audi S3 he found very manageable, but then you get the Golf, and from what klem says the Mustang, which just seem to spin out uncontrollably without chance of a recovery, from what people are saying (including on the TDU2 official forums).

I suppose you could skirt your way around these poorly-handling cars and use something that handles properly... but this seems to be a bit stupid.

Can I still play music from my MP3 player like, through the dashboard thingy, and mute the ingame music, klem/anybody?

If you mean normal custom soundtracks then yes, you obviously can and the in-game radio music turns off automatically.

Lads, to those of you sitting on the fence : IF you enjoyed TDU1 you'll enjoy this too, though, you'll have to be able to overlook a couple of missteps just like in the first game...
    There's no need for a friggin' score stamped on a site and especially on EG's - the first game got mixed reviews too but that didn't stop it from being a "cult" hit.

Regarding the cars, see, it's the darnest thing : some cars behave absolutely normal/well, others are complete and utter shit - and i'm not talking about the realistic side of things either - it's like Eden games went "OK, we'll have to fuck some cars' handling so bad that it'll be a chore to even think of picking them up in the first place" and i'm being generous, once again , take for example the Ford Mustang, the fraking thing can only go in straight lines ffs, dare to even think of taking a turn/u-turn (with or without the E-brake) and...

You'll like this game if you:

1) Enjoy free-roaming for hours on end alone or with your buddies.

2) Doing the above whilst viewing some of the most pretty sunrises/sunsets/blue skies (Seeeegaaa) in a game.
    The game also features some of the most picturesque environments i've personally seen in a game - the off-road routes are a testament to that with some beautiful stone-houses/villages and golden fields...
    You can't really beat the fantastic feeling that the game provides when doing (again) an off-road night cruise under the moonlight with the radio turned off listening to just the environmental audio (hint: cicadas)

3) Enjoy Arcade-like driving physics

4) Are a completionist regarding unlockables etc.

5) Enjoyed TDU1 (albeit flawed)

You won't like this if you:

1) Expect every car n the game to behave like a in "proper" racing games in the vein of Dirt (no matter how arcadey it might be)/Forza/GT.

2) Are massively anal about framerates/tearing (console vers.)

3) Feel turned off by the the whole Avatar and "social" aspects of the game to the point of feeling like throwing up.

If you have any other questions gents fire them up - i really understand some people being hesitant, it's 40 quid after all...

Cheers
  • Whizzo 7 Feb 2011 18:46:43 43,342 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's certain make me think I should keep the 360 pre-order alive klem, it's just annoying that while I was signed up to the PC beta I never managed to get into it.

Shame there's no demo though, it seems very silly there not being one.

This space left intentionally blank.

• agparrot 7 Feb 2011 19:50:53 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks for the round-up klem.

I'm really only disappointed about the seeming gap in the car handling, and the car seat thing. I have actually been playing other games so that I can trade them in for this one. I love all the things you say are positives, I couldn't give a monkeys about the avatar stuff or framerate, and I did love what I played of '1. I didn't ever play it enough, and am going to play more of 1 this week as a warmup.

I have also been watching some of the newer vids that random people have been posting up - the Lancia Delta looks like all sorts of fun, and I'd quite like to try the Esprit, as well - is it the 'beginner' Mustang that is a disaster, handling wise, or the newer one?

Thanks again for the impressions of the game. I secretly harbour a love for the social aspects, and I saw VVV Alan find an 'online multiplayer relay race' marker the other day, which just sounds intriguing.
  • OneLove- 7 Feb 2011 19:58:19 73 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thinking of getting this as NFS feels a little 'flat' to me on the driving front, am I naive to assume this will be any better? I want to be able to differentiate the weights and dynamics of different models and manufacturers, I'm not a neurotic 'petrol head' but there needs to be an incentive to purchase cars other than the aesthetics or simply being faster.
  • RedSparrows 7 Feb 2011 20:23:11 24,156 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I get the impression you'd be better off with Forza or GT, despite not being a petrol head.
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Feb 2011 20:43:26 15,388 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Play are "packing" mine as we speak, so fingers crossed I will be up for some weekend racing, care to join me ?

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• OneLove- 7 Feb 2011 20:52:29 73 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I get the impression you'd be better off with Forza or GT, despite not being a petrol head.

Ah I'm on the 360 so has to be Forza 3. But has it still got that really frustrating feature that penalises you if the AI crash into your car?
  • dnbuk 7 Feb 2011 20:58:57 4,958 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shopto and GAME are sold out of the pre-orders with codes. I want the Casino!
  • Page

of 89 First / Last