Grand Slam Tennis

• Page

of 17 First / Last

Previous
  • FiveManArmy 4 Mar 2009 12:10:46 506 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm really intrigued by this. Looks ace to me & sounds like the motion+ controls are going to be ace
  • StringBeanJean 4 Mar 2009 12:29:56 1,777 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is Virtua tennis coming to Wii?
  • Dougs 4 Mar 2009 12:49:11 66,655 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think VT is coming.

Grand Slam sounds quite good. EA as ever though tend to need 3 bites at the cherry to get it right...
  • EclipseDj 6 Mar 2009 13:06:25 12 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really like the art style, it reminds me of a 3D 'Super Tennis' - the game I dreamed Nintendo would make as soon as I saw the Wii remote. If the Motion Plus works as well as described it will be an unrivalled tennis simulator for the current gen, yes the 360 & PS3 will look more realistic but the Wii version will play more realisticly using true 1 to 1 motion.

Virtua Tennis is definitely coming to Wii, see Wii screenshots here - http://www.sega.co.uk/games/virtua-tennis-2009

Although worringly there is no mention of Wii online play or Motion Plus in VT! Where as we know that Grand Slam WILL use MotionPlus and is more likely to have an online mode using EA servers - if it does have online too, it's a definite purchase for me!

Tiger Woods 10 will also use Motion Plus and both games are released on June 16th, with the previous Tiger 09 finally suporting (an award nominated) online mode on Wii, it would be crazy of EA to drop it because of the Motion Plus. If anything they could further improve online by alowing voice chat via the WiiSpeak! - I live in hope!

PS. chuck in the Balance Board for the correct stance to swing and you'd have the ultimate golfing experience in your living room! Go on EA you know you can do all of that!

• figaro7 12 Mar 2009 23:05:43 1,362 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trailer Looks quite good, a lot like wii tennis, good to see some classic players in the mix!
  • Santino 13 Mar 2009 01:58:03 399 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    that looks excellent, it's taken longer than expected but this looks like the tennis game i've been waiting for since first playing Wii sports.
  • figaro7 13 Mar 2009 03:06:42 1,362 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hands on! sounds fantastic!
  • Dougs 13 Mar 2009 07:05:51 66,655 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Colour me excited.
  • Youthist 13 Mar 2009 09:19:13 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is the single most exciting thing about Motion Plus I have seen - ie people playing it and actually saying how amazing it is. I hope this is the "step" with the Wii that people have been waiting for.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Youthist 13 Mar 2009 09:19:16 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is the single most exciting thing about Motion Plus I have seen - ie people playing it and actually saying how amazing it is. I hope this is the "step" with the Wii that people have been waiting for.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• StringBeanJean 13 Mar 2009 12:11:19 1,777 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't wait! Though not for the inevitable stupid high price of the Motion+ dongles.

In all my 20 years of owning consoles, I have never been so peripheral heavy than I have now: 3 remotes, 2 nunchucks, a classic controller, a GC controller, A Wii Wheel, a hand cannon, and now a couple of these. I guess at least these can stay on the remote permanently and not take up more space in my house.
  • malteaserhead 13 Mar 2009 12:16:32 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Very positive hands-on there but I wonder why there is a need for the drop and lob shots to use buttons for modifiers?
    Another glass ceiling already?
    I was hoping those kind of shots would be more easily recognised/doable on the m+
  • TheBear 13 Mar 2009 12:18:34 4,503 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are the buttons not only used when not using an m + dogle thingy?
  • Dougs 13 Mar 2009 12:19:32 66,655 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheBear wrote:
    Are the buttons not only used when not using an m + dogle thingy?

Not the impression I got. Hope I'm wrong though
  • malteaserhead 13 Mar 2009 12:21:34 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Without Wii MotionPlus, rallies are all about timing. Based on when you swing, the ball will fly off in a certain direction -- very similar to Wii Sports Tennis.

With MotionPlus, it's all about your form, power and followthrough, the latter of which is very important. You still use A and B-trigger as lob and dropshot modifiers, which just works.

Hmmm. but on the other hand
    In my play test, every ball I returned shot exactly where I wanted it to go

So draw/win ;)
  • TheBear 13 Mar 2009 12:26:01 4,503 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    malteaserhead wrote:
    Without Wii MotionPlus, rallies are all about timing. Based on when you swing, the ball will fly off in a certain direction -- very similar to Wii Sports Tennis.

With MotionPlus, it's all about your form, power and followthrough, the latter of which is very important. You still use A and B-trigger as lob and dropshot modifiers, which just works.

Hmmm, I think I must have assumed the buttons would be redundant and ignored that piece of the article.
  • malteaserhead 13 Mar 2009 12:34:20 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still sounds like an improvement (and a noticeable one) but I was hoping that (say for drop shots) you'd just be able to just hold the wiimote still and it'd 'know' the bat was there and bounce off it (unlike wii sports where it'll just pass through if it doesn't sense the motion).

Still pleased to hear this is shaping up well.
  • StringBeanJean 13 Mar 2009 14:01:46 1,777 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, we need Wii Cricket.
  • JuanKerr 13 Mar 2009 14:04:15 36,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wii Cricket would be awesome. If you play as Monty Panesar, I wonder if you'll get more chance of getting a wicket if you scream into the Wii remote and jump around like a loon every time the ball goes anywhere near the batsman's pads?
  • TheBear 13 Mar 2009 14:05:38 4,503 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yeah, 'Wii Love Monty' would be the best. Come on Codies, get to it.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2009 14:21:27
    It's my understanding that the Wii launched in India quite recently. A cricket game would surely be a license to print money there.
  • Dougs 13 Mar 2009 14:23:29 66,655 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As I said in a cricket retro thread, Codies said they were looking at it pre-m+. Hopefully the add-on has now made it more viable. Not sure how spin would work though.
  • TheBear 13 Mar 2009 14:27:37 4,503 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lord wrote:
    It's my understanding that the Wii launched in India quite recently. A cricket game would surely be a license to print money there.

That's interesting, I always thought that if India took to gaming, then we could finally get some decent cricket games.

Who knows, maybe Nintendo will surprise us with cricket in Wii Sports resort......
  • JetSetWilly 13 Mar 2009 14:28:09 5,721 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe the spin could come from holding + or - during the action. Motion plus should solve the problem Codies were trying to overcome, namely how to do bowling.

Brand this up as some Twenty20 thing, add-in a beer sponsor and then sit back and listen to the cash registers sing in England, Oz, India etc etc.
  • TheBear 13 Mar 2009 14:32:42 4,503 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thinking about it though, I think a cricket game using the m+ or a wii remote at all would only work as a casual Wii Sports Baseball type affair.(beefed up considerably though)

Imagine bowling every ball and and hitting every ball with a Wii remote in Test Match mode? Bugger that.

• JetSetWilly 13 Mar 2009 14:33:44 5,721 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Exactly. That's why I think you'd have to sell under the Twenty20 banner. Perfect fit then.
  • malteaserhead 13 Mar 2009 14:35:04 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's still 100ish throws in a row. At least in baseball (as an example) you get to mix between batting and bowling more frequently.
  • Dougs 13 Mar 2009 14:39:37 66,655 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheBear wrote:

Imagine bowling every ball and and hitting every ball with a Wii remote in Test Match mode? Bugger that.

How is that any different to winning the grand slam (getting the thread back on track). I imagine that is quite tiring.
  • TheBear 13 Mar 2009 14:41:10 4,503 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd be really happy if someone woulld release a cricket game based on the MLB Power pros model. Great game, that has a casual, 'Wii remote' mode for a bit of fun, then uses buttons for the season modes etc.
  • Page

of 17 First / Last

Previous