How many PS3s are failing?(YLOD, traffic light of death) Page 3

• Page

of 55 First / Last

• El_Draque 3 Mar 2009 12:25:31 132 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    /intense paranoia

Has a recent patch fucked the PS3 or something?
    No, they just seem to die after 2 years...
  • patch 3 Mar 2009 12:30:37 541 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    /intense paranoia

Has a recent patch fucked the PS3 or something?

What are you trying to infer? Why I've never been so insulted! I don't see how what I do in the privacy of my home... oh, you mean an update patch... my bad.
  • Darren 3 Mar 2009 13:08:33 8,321 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    My second PS3 which i've had for about 10 days started making a weird buzzing noise last night then started freezing up, a lil tap to the machine seemed to sort it out but it got more and more frequent as the night went on. At first I thought it was KZ2 but it did the same with a couple other games/internet. I had put a 320 gig in the week before so I tested it with my old 60HDD and 80HDD and no buzzing.

So no actual PS3 fault but after only just finishing downloading everything again (wish i waited for Siren to come out on disc!) and i'll have to do it agai when i get my HDD rplacement hopefully tomorrow...was so angry about it last night.

I just hope it is the 320gigger and not th actual machine!

The larger capacity HDDs require more power so maybe the buzzing is coming from the internal power supply unit? Or it could be a faulty HDD I suppose, it's difficult to know.

I would have suggested doing a full format before sending it back but having done that on my 320 GB HDD when I first got mine I know it takes over 18 hours to complete! Yep, EIGHTEEN HOURS! Wow! 18 hours to do a full format yet I formatted my second 500 GB PC HDD drive in just 30 minutes or so. What do Sony program the software in... BASIC?!? :o

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• D_arkTrooper 3 Mar 2009 13:26:41 1,285 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My August 07 60gig stopped reading disks of any kind a week ago.Never had a problem with it before then and had it standing vertical with plenty of air around it and it had medium use over the time I had it.

Sony wanted 99 to fix it.

I decided to buy a brand new machine and found that the 80gig model is far,FAR quieter than my old one and a little bit lighter too.

Am deciding about this Continuous Play malarky at present to find out if they will fix the buggered PS3.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• Darren 3 Mar 2009 13:33:23 8,321 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I took out a three year warranty when I bought my PS3 from GAME back in March 2007, purely because of the poor reputation surrounding the build quality of the Xbox 360 at that time.

I'm not exactly sure how that would cover me if my PS3's Blu-ray drive died as my machine is the original type with four USB ports and PS2 emulation. I couldn't simply have a replacement as it is no longer manufactured nor would I want one a newer model as I use the PS2 emulation from time to time.

Does anyone know?

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 3 Mar 2009 13:37:39 8,321 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    D_arkTrooper wrote:
    My August 07 60gig stopped reading disks of any kind a week ago.Never had a problem with it before then and had it standing vertical with plenty of air around it and it had medium use over the time I had it.

Sony wanted 99 to fix it.

I decided to buy a brand new machine and found that the 80gig model is far,FAR quieter than my old one and a little bit lighter too.

Am deciding about this Continuous Play malarky at present to find out if they will fix the buggered PS3.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to have paid 99 to have it repaired though rather than 280 for a new machine? As far I know the parts that are replaced/repaired are guaranteed for a year and you still only have a one-year guarantee with your new machine. Also your new machine is actually inferior to the original one in terms of features as you have no PS2 emulation, no memory card ports and half the USB ports.

• danathjo 3 Mar 2009 13:54:58 6,909 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Darren, not sending the machine back but ordered a replacement HDD from Amazon to switch it over.

You see when I changed it back to a 60 and a 80g HDD there was no buzzing, put my 320 back in and straight away started buzzing, got much louder when i took the black plastic flap off on the side.

I guess i'll find out when I get the new 320er tomorrow

another thing which may have caused it, shut both doors on my cabinet when i left the room, came back in 20 or so minutes and the fan was on overdrive and the problems started about half an hour afterwards...but even checked it again this morning a good 8 hours after to see if it was a heat thing but it was still buzzing :(
  • Darren 3 Mar 2009 14:05:21 8,321 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can damage the data on hard drives if the temperature rises above 50 C. I should know as I've lost a couple of HDDs on my PC over the years due to poor air-flow in my cases.

It's possible that your PS3 got very hot, i.e. above 50 C, and it caused data corruption on the HDD leading to those funny noises you've been hearing as it's been desperately trying to read data. It may even have damaged the drive itself.

While the PS3's components such as the motherboard, CPU and GPU can certainly withstand temps in excess of 50 C, the HDD can't and the tight internal design leaves it no room to breath. I really wouldn't leave the PS3 or any modern console running in an enclosed cabinet in future, always leave the doors open when it is in use and only close them when the machine is turned off.

• Retroid Moderator 3 Mar 2009 14:25:18 44,501 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    antialias64x wrote:
    The ps3 has no decent games argument is a bit outdated now isn't it?
    As is the RRoD argument against 360s, since it was pretty much tackled with the Falcon revision, and (hopefully) completely addressed with the latest Jasper.
  • laudy 3 Mar 2009 14:28:16 8 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My cat used to be able to stand on the power button on my psone to switch it off and rub her face against the power/eject buttons on my ps2 to do the same. Bothe developed disc read errors.

I've had my 60Gb UK ps3 since august 07 and, try as she might, she can't switch it off trying to get me to refill her food bowl.

Cat face proof = 100% reliability.

Thanks for your time.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2009 14:29:19
    Retroid wrote:
    antialias64x wrote:
    As is the RRoD argument against 360s, since it was pretty much tackled with the Falcon revision, and (hopefully) completely addressed with the latest Jasper.

Are all 360s on shelves these models then?
  • Retroid Moderator 3 Mar 2009 14:30:30 44,501 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes.

Unless there are 360s on shelves now which were manufactured around two years ago.
  • laudy 3 Mar 2009 14:33:09 8 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There must be 360's on the shelves now which were manufactured around two years ago, just last month a mate of mine sent his 360 back for repair. The reason: RRoD.

When it returns he's going to get a ps3...
  • Retroid Moderator 3 Mar 2009 14:39:48 44,501 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They're electronics: they do have a failure rate!

Hell, look at this thread for a start.
  • Rash' 3 Mar 2009 14:41:41 948 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DiscoMonkey wrote:

Best way to describe PS3 and 360.

PS3:Good hardware, Good software, bad software.
    Xbox 360: Good software, bad software, bad hardware.

QFT
  • Rash' 3 Mar 2009 14:54:38 948 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    antialias64x wrote:
    technically if it had been solved with the falcon, then there'd be no need for the jasper, would there? as it is MS track record tor resolving this problem isn't great so it's too soon to get overly enthusiastic.
  • El_Draque 3 Mar 2009 14:55:56 132 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rash' wrote:
    technically if it had been solved with the falcon, then there'd be no need for the jasper, would there?

Aside from being cheaper and taking up less space, no probably not.

:p
  • Retroid Moderator 3 Mar 2009 14:59:23 44,501 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rash' wrote:
    technically if it had been solved with the falcon, then there'd be no need for the jasper, would there? as it is MS track record tor resolving this problem isn't great so it's too soon to get overly enthusiastic.
    Do you honestly think every revision to the 360 has been only to 'try' fixing the RRoD flaw?

As El_Draque said, they're making them cheaper all the time, just as Sony have done with *every* model of Playstation they've ever produced.

PS2 example - around 15 revisions.
  • Rash' 3 Mar 2009 14:59:36 948 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    El_Draque wrote:
    Rash' wrote:
    technically if it had been solved with the falcon, then there'd be no need for the jasper, would there?
    Aside from being cheaper and taking up less space, no probably not.

:p
    lol! true tthough they are the least publicised benefits... particularly to the consumer. ;)
  • Darren 3 Mar 2009 15:02:36 8,321 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    laudy wrote:
    My cat used to be able to stand on the power button on my psone to switch it off and rub her face against the power/eject buttons on my ps2 to do the same. Bothe developed disc read errors.

I think the excess of cat hairs might have been the cause of those! ;)

• Rash' 3 Mar 2009 15:03:06 948 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    Rash' wrote:
    Do you honestly think every revision to the 360 has been only to 'try' fixing the RRoD flaw?

As El_Draque said, they're making them cheaper all the time, just as Sony have done with *every* model of Playstation they've ever produced.

PS2 example - around 15 revisions.
    i'm not disputing that, but the primary issue concerning the revisions is the RRoD.
  • Wastelander 3 Mar 2009 15:03:13 1,848 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Umm, the Jasper is just a die shrink for the GPU and includes inbuilt flash memory for the new dash from what I understand.

It's a standard revision like you'd get for any bit of hardware as manufacturing processes get cheaper and more efficient.

The RROD is general hardware fault that could happen for any number of reasons.
    It's not some some mythical creature that's hiding inside every xbox that has the greatest scientific minds in the world try to work out what it is.
  • Retroid Moderator 3 Mar 2009 15:03:31 44,501 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    \o/ CAT \o/
  • Psychotext 3 Mar 2009 15:03:58 52,791 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wastelander wrote:
    It's not some some mythical creature that's hiding inside every xbox...
    You've ruined it now.

>:(

Meanie
  • Retroid Moderator 3 Mar 2009 15:04:43 44,501 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wastelander wrote:
    It's not some some mythical creature that's hiding inside every xbox that has the greatest scientific minds in the world try to work out what it is.
    Unlike the Cell, which only has 300 people in the world whe can understand its clever awesomeness! :D
  • Deleted user 3 March 2009 15:06:02
    Retroid wrote:
    Wastelander wrote:
    Unlike the Cell, which only has 300 people in the world whe can understand its clever awesomeness! :D
    They are so awesome in fact, that their names always include numbers, and sometimes even exclamation marks.
  • Rash' 3 Mar 2009 15:08:06 948 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wastelander wrote:The RROD is general hardware fault that could happen for any number of reasons.
    what he said.
  • Retroid Moderator 3 Mar 2009 15:12:46 44,501 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rash' wrote:
    Wastelander wrote:The RROD is general hardware fault that could happen for any number of reasons.
    what he said.
    I know you'd love to think the RRoD is a fundamental design flaw in all 360s, but that's not true.

The three red quadrants is just a general hardware error display using the front panel, but what was causing the high failure rate was mostly a solder problem with the GPU die connecting it to the motherboard and was a problem which buggered up several new graphics cards around the same time (from what I've heard). They've changed how the solder technique *and* shrank those components so they'll produce less heat.

This is all my undertanding of it, BTW, so if anyone else can come along and correct any of that, they're welcome.
  • Psychotext 3 Mar 2009 15:14:32 52,791 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's pretty much right. You can obviously get RRoD for other reasons but that was by far the most common cause.
  • Retroid Moderator 3 Mar 2009 15:19:15 44,501 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    \o/
  • Page

of 55 First / Last