of 56 First / Last

• reddevil93 3 Mar 2009 00:58:48 11,360 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Retrlolid, innit :-)

• BartonFink 3 Mar 2009 01:30:30 34,853 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mine went bork recently won't read discs (yea that old chestnut back again you would think they would get it right the third time). Only a little over a year old. Trying to sort it out with Sony the daft bastards.

I know two other people who have brought PS3s back for the same reason.

• myiagros 3 Mar 2009 01:31:14 1,343 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    in my close circle of friends we have 4 working absolutely fine, with no failures so far (touch wood).

2x US 60GB launch model
    1x UK 60GB launch model
    1x UK 80GB late 08 model
  • Psychotext 3 Mar 2009 01:48:02 53,714 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's far too much wood touching in this thread.
  • Sid-Nice 3 Mar 2009 02:56:35 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's like a gay Pinocchio convention.

NNID Sid-Nice

• sureshkc17 3 Mar 2009 04:21:31 6 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    60gb ps3 from launch in uk, bout a week ago the blu ray disc drive started playing up and giving me disc read errors, very weird, reformatted my hard drive as sony told me, still same problem, they now tell me its 145 pounds to fix
  • Pedrolot 3 Mar 2009 06:52:37 1,939 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    gohda wrote:
    Ask reddevil93
    Waiting for my 6th now. The refurb didn't work...

Slolny etc.
    Was wondering where the hell you went!

PSN: Pedrolot

• Deleted user 3 March 2009 06:56:20
    Both the PS3's I've had have been a bit problematic. Actually I've had a lot more hassle with the PS3 than I have ever had with the 360.

Crashes a lot, although that is probably a network issue, but really, should it hang SO often when exiting from the internet browser?

Not impressed!
  • morriss 3 Mar 2009 06:57:31 70,910 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    surfingtheinternetonaconsolol
  • Widge Moderator 3 Mar 2009 07:16:53 13,217 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My 60GB is still going strong. I gave it a hoover the other day.

Seriously considering the old Continuous Play though.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Doctor_What 3 Mar 2009 07:17:59 14 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've had a UK 60GB from launch with no problems at all. I recently did a home upgrade on the HDD with a 250GB laptop drive I bought on eBay and that's gone through without a hitch. It gets used every single day, usually for at least an hour's gaming, sometimes more, and then for watching downloaded TV for most of the rest of the evening.

... In other words, it gets VERY heavy use and it's been fine.

One thing that's worth noting: I keep mine upright. Perhaps this helps dissipate the heat?
  • Tonka 3 Mar 2009 07:34:02 19,994 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A friend of mine had the worst luck. His launch model with BC died shortly after Sony ran out out of stoch of them. So his replacement didn't have BC. They did give him a 120Gig HDD (and one month free LIVE lol)

He wasn't bothered at all. He borrowed some of my PS2 games and said they were unplayable due to the low resolution.

He's new to console gaming.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Darren 3 Mar 2009 08:21:53 8,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My own launch 60 GB HDD PS3 with a 320 GB HDD gets very heavy use, mostly as a BD player, and it has been working fine for almost two years now. In that time I've been through FIVE Xbox 360s.

I'm not saying that my PS3 *won't* break down at some point but it's not something I worry about like I did the Xbox 360. Even my launch PS2 from November 2000 is still working fine, it even plays those blue CD games too.

No electronic product is fault free but I don't believe for one second that the PS3 is as poorly built as the Xbox 360 was. If mine fails then it'll be because of wear and tear not lousy testing on the part of the manufacturer!!!

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 3 Mar 2009 08:23:35 8,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    P.S. My PS3 has always stood vertically (unlike my 360) and has always been very quiet. In fact, I can't hear it at all except when loading certain PS2 titles but then it goes quiet while I'm playing the game. It's so refreshing after hearing the jet-engine whine of the Xbox 360.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Buztafen 3 Mar 2009 08:44:01 16,045 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well out of the 4 xbox's & 4 PS3's me and my mates own so far one 360 has met its maker with a classic RRoD......but 2 PS3's have suffered the BRoD and been replaced, mine and my old housemates. So microsoft are beating Sony 1 to 2 in my world (scary place that it is)
  • BartonFink 3 Mar 2009 08:44:39 34,853 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    No electronic product is fault free but I don't believe for one second that the PS3 is as poorly built as the Xbox 360 was. If mine fails then it'll be because of wear and tear not lousy testing on the part of the manufacturer!!!
    Definitely doesn't seem to be as bad as the 360 but it certainly does seem like there is an endemic fault with the PS3 drive. Maybe it's isolated to certain batches and that's why we are seeing so many reports on it.
    As for heavy use I don't think it has anything to do with it.

So far this gen 1 borked PS3 after 14 mths and 1 360 after 35 mths.
  • Retroid Moderator 3 Mar 2009 08:45:48 44,503 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All my machines are horizontal. Baby.
  • BartonFink 3 Mar 2009 08:48:01 34,853 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    P.S. My PS3 has always stood vertically (unlike my 360) and has always been very quiet. In fact, I can't hear it at all except when loading certain PS2 titles but then it goes quiet while I'm playing the game. It's so refreshing after hearing the jet-engine whine of the Xbox 360.
    Again not everybody has had the same experience. When the fans kick in on the PS3 it's usually much louder than my 360. Happens when it's been on for an hour or two. Made watching Blu-ray and DVDs impossible until it cooled down. Very very annoying.
  • CYBER-WOO 3 Mar 2009 08:56:39 70 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My japanese launch 60gb model is still going strong, but then again...... it doesn't really get used as much as my 360 ( I'm on number eight of those! This one is a Jasper model though. )
  • Darren 3 Mar 2009 09:31:18 8,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Umberty wrote:
    > When you keep it upright you are blocking some vents, but yeah I keep it that way too.

What vents does it block when it's upright?

IMO, the PS3 is not really effectively designed to be stood horizontally as it lacks vents on the top of the case like the Xbox 360 has. That means that some hot air will rise and get trapped whereas when the machine is vertical the hot air is expelled through the top and back. Since hot air rises naturally it means that the PS3 should run cooler.

And that does seem to be the case because from many posts I've read on various forums over the past 18 months the PS3 is a lot noisier when it's horizontal because the fans have to work faster to expel the warm air.

• Darren 3 Mar 2009 09:35:42 8,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Darren wrote:

Again not everybody has had the same experience. When the fans kick in on the PS3 it's usually much louder than my 360. Happens when it's been on for an hour or two. Made watching Blu-ray and DVDs impossible until it cooled down. Very very annoying.

Curious... I have my PS3 on sometimes all day (as long as 12 hours) and I've *NEVER* heard the fans kick in and make a racket. My PS3 has always remained quiet, which used to alarm me at first but now I know that is how it is supposed to be.

Yeah, I'm slightly deaf in my left ear I admit and wear a hearing-aid but my 360 is just two feet away from my PS3 and actually further away from me when I play games yet I can definitely hear that when I play games off a disc!

I've heard that some PS3s are just noisier than others because of the type of fan they use so it looks as if I was lucky with mine.

• phatb0y 3 Mar 2009 09:38:11 868 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm on my second (60Gb). My first I think I probably killed due to it being on 24/7 and it being in quite a confined space. I got the traffic lights 4 days before GTAIV launch day. Go me.

My replacement has been treated a little less harshly and is (so far) sweet as a nut.

I gave up after my fourth 360.
  • danathjo 3 Mar 2009 10:46:07 7,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My second PS3 which i've had for about 10 days started making a weird buzzing noise last night then started freezing up, a lil tap to the machine seemed to sort it out but it got more and more frequent as the night went on. At first I thought it was KZ2 but it did the same with a couple other games/internet. I had put a 320 gig in the week before so I tested it with my old 60HDD and 80HDD and no buzzing.

So no actual PS3 fault but after only just finishing downloading everything again (wish i waited for Siren to come out on disc!) and i'll have to do it agai when i get my HDD rplacement hopefully tomorrow...was so angry about it last night.

I just hope it is the 320gigger and not th actual machine!
  • Aggesan 3 Mar 2009 10:49:20 1 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My 40gb PS3, bought may 2008 broke down after 4 months. The problems was the Bluray player.

• patch 3 Mar 2009 11:23:15 543 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Out of 5 ppl I know with ps3s, only one failure so far. Blu-ray drive went and was replaced in a few days. With regards an increased failure rate, it's all relative I guess...a bit like gun crime...(bear with me here); someone gets shot in the UK and it's headline news, it happens in America and it's SSDD.
  • Acornhead! 3 Mar 2009 11:59:38 115 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Best way to describe PS3 and 360.

PS3:Good hardware, bad software.

Xbox 360: Awesome software, bad hardware.

I know what i'd rather :)
  • patch 3 Mar 2009 12:09:05 543 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Acornhead! wrote:

PS3:Good hardware, bad software.

Xbox 360: Awesome software, bad hardware.

I know what i'd rather :)

From what I hear, the Jaspers are a lot better. Shame they don't do a breakdown of failures by chip. If I could have a guaranteed no RRoD xbox I'd probably get one. Not exactly sure what bad software ps3 has. IMHO it's the price that's off-putting.
  • pjmaybe 3 Mar 2009 12:09:34 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /intense paranoia

Has a recent patch fucked the PS3 or something?
  • DiscoMonkey 3 Mar 2009 12:15:46 150 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago

PS3:Good hardware, Good software, bad software.
    Xbox 360: Good software, bad software, bad hardware.

• GreyBeard 3 Mar 2009 12:18:11 182 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm on my second PS3.

The first was a 2nd hand 60gb model I bought from Game. It lasted about 2 weeks before the BD drive failed (stopped reading BD, although CD and DVDs were fine).

I took it back and took a new non-BC 40gb and some games as they had no replacements. The manager of the branch told me that there was apparently a bad batch of 60gb PS3s early on, that all subsequently developed drive problems. But since then its reliability on the whole was very good.

My replacement has been fine despite heavy use over the last 8 months or so.
  • Page

of 56 First / Last