How many PS3s are failing?(YLOD, traffic light of death) Page 55

• Page

of 56 First / Last

• RightBean 2 Jul 2013 15:59:22 635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Oh yeah, of course, Sony PS3 was perfect, must never say anything about Sony PS3.
  • urban 2 Jul 2013 19:02:50 10,923 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RightBean I just need 3 hours out of it. 3 hours and I'll have completed The Last of us and taken all my save games off of it.
  • RightBean 2 Jul 2013 19:04:30 635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Well mine lasted a month after heatgun, so you will probably be alright. You can probably heatgun it again if it dies again, I don't know, it is a real pain to do it, so many screws.
  • Velocityraptor 2 Jul 2013 20:12:49 15 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @urban

Good luck! I assume you've done this sort of thing before with general electronics and PCs, in which case doing it for a PS3 is not too much of leap, but a bit of luck never does any harm.
  • urban 2 Jul 2013 21:33:17 10,923 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My PS3 is now in the bin, yeah I've done this sorta thing before. Three mates have had RROD which I fixed and I think only one RROD'd again since. I've done iPhones etc too which are a lot more fiddly.

I did everything to the letter and it still flashed yella back at me. This is even with the additional Copper Shims AND fluxing.

So I disassembled the Blu-Ray drive (as that's that only way I could get The Last of Us out)

Pulled the HDD

And binned the fucker.

6 years? after I bought it on week one of launch.

I hate failing.
  • Velocityraptor 3 Jul 2013 07:20:18 15 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Unlucky. But 6 years isn't too bad all things considered.

Also that's probably the only thing I like about the SuperSlim PS3, the knowledge that if it ever goes completely dead, I won't have to open it to get discs out.

Also, iPhones? You should try mechanical watches. That's probably the most technically impressive and intricate thing I've ever opened up. The only time I took a look, took out a few pieces and went "Fuck it, I'll just replace the whole mechanism".
  • urban 3 Jul 2013 08:37:54 10,923 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Velocityraptor Funny you should say that, I've repaired a Soviet mechanical stopwatch before
  • Velocityraptor 3 Jul 2013 11:57:58 15 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, I now know who to PM in case my current one breaks then :p.

Honestly though, those things are awesome. I'd have loved to have had a go with a simpler mechanism before trying my own, simply to try and figure out how everything works. Been meaning to take apart the broken one for a year now.
  • urban 3 Jul 2013 12:01:51 10,923 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Velocityraptor One of these puppies

Beautiful pieces of kit
  • dominalien 3 Jul 2013 12:09:53 6,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spurred to action by your YLODs I decided to clean out my launch 60 gb. I'd say it was moderately dusty inside.

It's very elegant and very custom. I only went as far as removing the system fan and stopped short of taking off the heatsinks from the chips. That would have allowed me to get inside the metal enclosure where the mainboard is located, together with potentially more dust, but I didn't want to mess around with thermal paste, mostly because I don't have any. My vacuum cleaner still had plenty to do.

It's back together now, Bluetooth working, wifi working, drive working. A one hour job.

I'll report later if noise is reduced. It was getting uncomfortably loud during gameplay.

PSN: DonOsito

• FarFromSane 15 Sep 2013 08:42:08 236 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bugger mine just died today while i was on Move Fitness :-(

I've had mine since 2008 with out a problem till today that is. gonna see if i can find a PS3 Slim somewhere in town later today.

It's a bit of a bugger especially with GTA V coming in a few days

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• mcmonkeyplc 26 Sep 2013 14:36:16 39,384 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So do Sony not repair these then?

I'm thinking of getting mine repaired.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• dominalien 26 Sep 2013 15:10:24 6,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think they do? Only they want money for it, I don't think it sits well with people.

PSN: DonOsito

• mcmonkeyplc 26 Sep 2013 15:27:57 39,384 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gamers wanting something for nothing?! Shocking!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• PenguinJim 26 Sep 2013 15:32:15 5,754 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In this case, it's more like a case of a gamer wanting a console that works for more than five years in exchange for 420.
  • GamesConnoisseur 2 Feb 2014 12:13:32 418 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My old launch-fat PS3 YLODed on me for the SIXTH and final time, previous occasions (once a year approx!) took it to the locally sited ConsoleDoctor.com repair shop.

I was loathe to bin it as I should have after the second or the third time, hell my X360 only RROD once but also my son's X360 did once but needed to be replaced. This PS3 is simply the worst performing console ever in term of reliability. I owned gaming machines down the years since the old Speccy.

Had good time playing games on launch b/c PS3 but no more.

Got a slim PS3 as BD player upstairs in main family room (my games room cum office is in the basement).

Got PS4 and all other platform formats to entertain me anyway so goodbye you old unreliable piece of shite.

/pondering if I should take it out to the back yard and....
  • Psychotext 2 Feb 2014 18:31:44 53,771 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mine went in the week. Wont be replacing or repairing it.
  • JamesUK 2 Apr 2014 20:43:46 124 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    My 6 year old 40GB PS3 died on Saturday. I've never had a issues with it before and this came completely out of the blue. A couple of mins after switching it on it shut itself down with a blinking red light. When powering up I briefly got a green light then blinks yellow then continually flashes red. A bit of googling diagnosed it as the YLOD.

I was a bit gutted as I was just starting to work through my PS+ backlog. I also own a PS4 and I'm not sure I can justify buying a new PS3 at this late stage.

Today I went through the process of repairing it with a hot air gun. It's appears to have been successful but place your bets on how long it'll last. It's sat for a few hours on the XMB while I copied some games saves to USB and it downloaded PES 2014 but I'm yet to tax it with playing any games.

Other than backing up games saves. Is there anything I should be doing while I still have the chance?.
  • muttler 2 Apr 2014 22:48:09 3,937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes, delete your credit card details and personal info.

Edit- oh unless you've got a PS4 / Vita and so intend to carry on using your PSN account. Maybe delete your stuff off the PS3.

Edited by muttler at 22:50:56 02-04-2014
  • Ranger_Ryu 3 Apr 2014 00:07:26 1,023 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    and deactivate your PSN account on the PS3 to free up an activation
  • BartonFink 3 Apr 2014 00:15:55 34,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GamesConnoisseur wrote:
    My old launch-fat PS3 YLODed on me for the SIXTH and final time, previous occasions (once a year approx!) took it to the locally sited ConsoleDoctor.com repair shop.

I was loathe to bin it as I should have after the second or the third time, hell my X360 only RROD once but also my son's X360 did once but needed to be replaced. This PS3 is simply the worst performing console ever in term of reliability. I owned gaming machines down the years since the old Speccy.

Had good time playing games on launch b/c PS3 but no more.

Got a slim PS3 as BD player upstairs in main family room (my games room cum office is in the basement).

Got PS4 and all other platform formats to entertain me anyway so goodbye you old unreliable piece of shite.

/pondering if I should take it out to the back yard and....
    Still have my 3rd replacement fatboy sitting on a shelf it YLoDed but am tempted to take it down and do a bit of messing with it or perhaps we should just do a ritual burning? The slim is still going strong (not the nice one the top loading POS) and I have too many games to get through.

Loving the PS4.
  • muttler 3 Apr 2014 07:00:07 3,937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ranger_Ryu wrote:
    and deactivate your PSN account on the PS3 to free up an activation
    Definitely do this.
  • JamesUK 3 Apr 2014 21:21:48 124 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thank you for the advice. I have both a PS4 and a Vita so I need to keep my PSN account active. I'd like to access the PS+ games while I still can, this prevents me from deactivating the console. I've checked the SEN website and there is an option there to deactivate devices. I should be able to sort it out there if it dies again. However, I did read that the PS4 can only be deactivated from the console Link but there appears to be the option on the SEN website. Not sure what the difference is.

I've spent a couple of hours in PES 2014 and the PS3 is still up and running. I've ordered Stick of Truth, fingers crossed that it hangs in until I've completed it, anything after that is a bonus.

Edited by JamesUK at 21:23:55 03-04-2014
  • DanB24 3 Apr 2014 21:24:39 1,782 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds like alot of bad luck for alot of people on here. My launch PS3 is still running perfectly just over 7 years on. :o
  • snowbored 3 Apr 2014 22:09:07 423 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @JamesUK I recon you will be alright.

Ive had 2 YLOD on me, both times they have lasted about another 3-4 months on the first fix and about another 5-8 weeks on the second. you definately get diminishing returns the more you do it.

When my last one went I managed to finish GTAV and The Last of Us before it finally gave up the ghost. One thing I did find was that it was fine when I was using it all the time, but after an extended period of not playing it, when I turned it on it died right away.
  • DanB24 20 May 2014 23:16:10 1,782 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    Sounds like alot of bad luck for alot of people on here. My launch PS3 is still running perfectly just over 7 years on. :o
    Yup I've jinxed myself. :cry:
  • PenguinJim 21 May 2014 03:39:21 5,754 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still, keeping it on for seven years is impressive! I'd hate to see your electricity bill, though.
  • DanB24 21 May 2014 07:33:37 1,782 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well not completely literally. I meant more that it was still in working order after 7 years of regular use. (not constant) Of course now it's gone wrong.
    Popped it on for a moment to try it again this morning and it still YLOD'd so it wasn't just overheating. :-(
  • PenguinJim 21 May 2014 07:46:31 5,754 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    D'oh! If I use smileys, people complain about smileys. If I don't use smileys, people think I'm serious (or mean or angry). :p

Are you going to open it up and fix it yourself? Were you mid-game? Disc stuck inside? From the last page:

oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Would it help if I pulled the HDD and put it back in? Anything I can try that doesn't involve anything too technical?
    As soon as you remove the HDD, it'll want to format whatever drive you put back in SO DON'T !

-Send off to repair
    -Youtube YLOD repair

Only options. Even then, it'll probably only be short term to allow you to copy data to a new machine. Think my ol' 40GB lasted 3 weeks after repair......
  • Page

of 56 First / Last