How many PS3s are failing?(YLOD, traffic light of death) Page 54

• Page

of 53 First / Last

Next
  • oldschoolsoviet 17 Aug 2012 18:30:03 5,487 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That'll be to power it down, switch off at the back, hold eject down and switch on at the back. Congrats, you've unlocked 747 mode !

It's also typically a step away from YLOD on the downside. :<
  • SPENCER41 17 Aug 2012 20:52:07 3 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've had 4 YLOD PS3's, all of which were sent back to be fixed and then broke again. I now have a slimline, which seems to be ok..... for now
  • -cerberus- 17 Aug 2012 21:23:17 2,947 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Was playing The Saboteur. The game froze and I heard a loud scratching noise from inside the console (launch ps3 slim). I switch it off, turn it back on and immediately remove the disc. It's full of scratches. The thing won't read any discs without scratching them. HURRAY!
    And, of course, the warranty is no longer valid.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• andywilkie35 17 Aug 2012 22:45:30 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    It's an overheating problem. It's probably very, very dusty inside. Which model is it? IIRC, from a certain point on, there's a way to do a spin-the-fans-very-fast procedure, which is apparently able to help with this kind of thing.
    Interesting, thanks for the reply :)

It's an old 40gb with a monster 500gb hard drive (wahey!) - do you think I'll be able to just open it up and give it a good dusting?

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• andywilkie35 17 Aug 2012 22:47:04 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    That'll be to power it down, switch off at the back, hold eject down and switch on at the back. Congrats, you've unlocked 747 mode !

It's also typically a step away from YLOD on the downside. :<
    Ah so that's the method - will give it a go. End of the day if it gets YLOD then it's not too much of a problem as I've considered it a write off now so any mileage I get out of it will be a bonus!

• andywilkie35 18 Aug 2012 10:32:02 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had a go late last night and got about twenty minutes into a cutscene in MGS4 and it crashed again :(

Might try again at some point but think I'll just get a PS3 for Christmas or something! Cheers for the help guys

• greg_wha 19 Aug 2012 12:52:07 192 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've got a 160gb Slim and it's starting up with a "Not shut down properly; need to check the hdd" quite often recently. Works fine after the load bar disappears. Nothing serious I hope!?!?
  • Afiddes 19 Aug 2012 13:06:15 1,164 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Don't switch it off by the plug before it shuts itself down

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• greg_wha 19 Aug 2012 14:17:53 192 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sure, never done that though. I have been moving it in to the bedroom to watch Blu Rays in beddy byes over the last few weeks. But there is no full power off switch on the Slims before you remove the plug is there?
  • Ziz0u 4 Sep 2012 09:32:55 8,395 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To add to my recent bad luck, my PS3 got the YLOD yesterday. Last time I played it was a couple of days ago and it was fine. I shut it down properly etc, but when I tried yesterday it had a yellow light.

Guessing I need to send it in? Is there anything I could try?
  • Ziz0u 6 Sep 2012 14:41:18 8,395 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bump

Would it help if I pulled the HDD and put it back in? Anything I can try that doesn't involve anything too technical?
  • Ziz0u 7 Sep 2012 10:47:31 8,395 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for that.
  • oldschoolsoviet 7 Sep 2012 11:00:59 5,487 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Bump

Would it help if I pulled the HDD and put it back in? Anything I can try that doesn't involve anything too technical?
    As soon as you remove the HDD, it'll want to format whatever drive you put back in SO DON'T !

-Send off to repair
    -Youtube YLOD repair

Only options. Even then, it'll probably only be short term to allow you to copy data to a new machine. Think my ol' 40GB lasted 3 weeks after repair......
  • Ziz0u 7 Sep 2012 11:02:29 8,395 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :( Yeah, I am sending it off, but they said it isn't likely to last long :(
  • sickpuppysoftware 12 Sep 2012 21:11:08 1,332 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just applied the latest update, All went fine. Downloaded a few games and tried to watch a video and bang YLOD.
    Fucksticks. Looks like goodbye fatty PS3, hello new slimline.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• -cerberus- 12 Sep 2012 21:59:47 2,947 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @sickpuppysoftware Hold on, Tokyo Game Show is almost upon us. I'm 75% sure that Sony will announce the PS3 Super Slim then.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• Abdu@EG 8 Oct 2012 06:22:31 18 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My PS3 stopped reading any disc (CD, DVD, BD).
    It accepts the disc and after seconds it makes the ejecting sound.

I did the Restore File System thing but no luck.

I'm not careless; I keep the device clean and my discs aren't scratched.

Should I use the known lens cleaner?
    Factory rest will help?
  • FuzzyDuck 8 Oct 2012 14:30:05 4,208 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Abdu@EG

Sounds like the drive is dead, my 80Gb phatty would still boot and play games as normal from the hard disc, but any optical media just resulted in the little twirly access icon in the top right perpetually spinning away to itself.

I'd say do whatever you can think of and get that data backed up!
  • mrpon 8 Oct 2012 14:32:41 29,001 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dualshock no longer synced with PS3. Any thoughts? I've plugged the cable in, it syncs but then when you pull the cable out it disconnects.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• dominalien 8 Oct 2012 16:05:55 6,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try resetting the controller with the reset button. There are a few steps, just google it.

PSN: DonOsito

• Abdu@EG 8 Oct 2012 20:00:35 18 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck
  • mrpon 8 Oct 2012 20:07:21 29,001 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @dominalien Cheers fella, seems to work now.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Moshbag 20 Oct 2012 22:46:49 106 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So my five year old 60GB PS3 has finally given up the ghost. It loads to the XMB fine but both downloaded and disc games freeze on a black screen on start up. I've restored the file system (which it said was corrupted), rebuilt the database and eventually formatted the hard drive, none of which have solved the problem. I've deactivated the console and all my saves are elsewhere so no issues on that front.

My question is this: is it worth buying a cheap hard drive? Or could the problem be somewhere else in the system? I don't want to waste money on a hard drive if I end up buying a new console anyway. Or does anyone have any suggestions of other things I could try to get it working again?

Thanks for any help.

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off!

• PenguinJim 21 Oct 2012 04:47:11 5,877 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you buy a huge hard drive and it doesn't work, you could buy one of those new HDDless 12GB PS3s and enjoy your new hard drive in there. Plus the price of a Sony Caddy™.
  • Moshbag 21 Oct 2012 15:35:36 106 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That sounds like a good plan, cheers. I've never bought a hard drive on its own, should I just find the cheapest on amazon or are there manufacturers to avoid?

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off!

• Ziz0u 24 Jun 2013 10:41:28 8,395 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Has anyone had any success with having their YLOD PS3 repaired? I just got a quote, but I've also read that it isn't 100% guaranteed to work.

It's a 30GB "fat". I think the cause was overheating from my cat sleeping behind it while it was on overnight downloading stuff.

Edit: I know it's simpler to buy a new one, but I really don't have the funds right now.

Edited by ZizouFC at 10:34:48 07-12-2012
    My brother's PS3 stopped reading discs so he was using my repaired YLODer to play The Last of Us, and yup, it is stuffed again.

Curiously though it doesn't seem to be the same as before. Last time it was a clear case of YLOD, but this time it starts up, but shuts off almost instantly. No yellow light.

I'm not going to bother getting it fixed again, but I'm keen to at least try figure it out myself.

Googling suggests overheating or even power supply.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • urban 2 Jul 2013 15:08:10 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm attempting a YLOD fix with a heatgun, flux, thermal paste and new copper shims tonight...eek
  • RightBean 2 Jul 2013 15:32:11 651 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sony never admitted there was any fault with the PS3's, they maintained throughout that it was the users fault. I done the heatgun fix on mine, because I didn't want to pay £125 they DEMANDED. The heatgun thing works, for a while, but eventually the POS dies again and you bored of disassembling it, and throw it in the rucking bin. ;)
  • dominalien 2 Jul 2013 15:57:36 6,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pft.

PSN: DonOsito

• Page

of 53 First / Last

Next