Next
  • Jazzy_Geoff 28 Jul 2011 07:42:58 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    no :(
  • oldschoolsoviet 28 Jul 2011 09:33:18 5,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Even if your PS3 started working again, it's a moot point. DS saves are copy protected anyway. :(
  • Deleted user 28 July 2011 09:55:14
    For the hairdryer trick what exactly do i do?
  • Dolly 28 Jul 2011 10:51:02 3,236 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hindle wrote:
    For the hairdryer trick what exactly do i do?

Google it, but essentially you put it in a cardboard box and fire a hairdryer in the rear ports for 10+ minutes. Be warned though, all it did for mine was melt the rear plastic without fixing the insides. If you really care about your saves, Just pay a pro 60 to fix it. I did this in the end and then just sold it on after copying them to a new slim.
  • MiniAmin 28 Jul 2011 12:40:25 3,431 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How are the slim PS3s then? Do they tend to die often? I want to pick up a preowned 120GB from Gamestation. Don't have the money for a new PS3 and a new 360 slim.
  • Deleted user 28 July 2011 17:25:05
    I didnt bother with the hair dryer thing, i've paid a guy to get the disc that was stuck. It means i lost my Demon Souls progress but what with Dark Souls just around the corner i'll just buy that. May pick another one after they cut the price again.
  • shamblemonkee 14 Aug 2011 21:07:57 14,485 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My barely year old ps3 slim seems to be dead?! Completely powers itself off after a couple of seconds being on with brief yellow light under the lip
  • shamblemonkee 15 Aug 2011 17:50:31 14,485 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    found the receipt, it's actually new from mid-January this year! Can i get it replaced on the spot by HMV?!
  • gooner77 20 Aug 2011 16:47:07 802 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes. My faulty ps3 cost was refunded as they didn't have any 160 gbs in stock
  • x-Twiiist-x 22 Aug 2011 19:04:38 9 posts
    Registered 4 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    found the receipt, it's actually new from mid-January this year! Can i get it replaced on the spot by HMV?!
    Yes mate, you get a year with the shop
    And that is covered! If your game is stuck
    Inside they should replace your game too, my 60GB yellowed on me and I got Confrontation back plus a new 80gb model

By far tho, the slims are excellent, only a handful are a but funny and that's usually the 120GB and the 160GB , 320 are
    Extremely robust, mines on
    Pretty much 12/13 hours a day and it still runs smoothly!
  • Retroid Moderator 22 Aug 2011 19:29:20 44,992 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey, anyone remember when my original 60gb died? I replaced it with a Slim, then picked up another 60gb PS3 because I was adamant I still wanted the BC.

Guess what? \o/

No design flaw in the launch 60gb model MY ARSE
  • Skynet 30 Aug 2011 00:09:16 170 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think mine might be on it's last legs, had it for 3 and a half years and when I switch it on, it automatically then goes off again and usually comes on at the 2nd attempt, but now it's been taking a lot more tries to start up.

I'm guessing this is the start of it? :(
  • GamesConnoisseur 7 Sep 2011 11:02:35 420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nooooooooooooo!!

Mine PHAT PS3 got SECOND YLOD today, two years and few weeks after getting it repaired.

Now its one more time being busted than my old X360! I cant believe that but there it is. I m taking it to consoledoctor.com as its local actually. 59.99 isnt too bad but that money less for a game or two.

Useless PS3. If not for Uncharted 3 and Resistance 3 I would not have bothered... for a longer while.
  • BartonFink 13 Apr 2012 09:23:48 35,000 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fucking thing decided to pack it in this week with a YLOD. Well out of warranty so it's a giant door stop. Now need to buy a Bluray player.

Console count this gen
    360 - 1 dead and replaced
    PS3 - 3 dead 2 replaced

Shoddy fucking hardware this gen.
  • muttler 28 Jul 2012 10:59:40 4,132 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Skynet wrote:
    I think mine might be on it's last legs, had it for 3 and a half years and when I switch it on, it automatically then goes off again and usually comes on at the 2nd attempt, but now it's been taking a lot more tries to start up.

I'm guessing this is the start of it? :(
    Mines been doing this, and is now turning.g itself off straight away every time, with a single yellow flash. Is this the YLOD or a different fault? Is it repairable? Well out of warranty, so would go to a nearby computer shop.
  • Flying_Pig 28 Jul 2012 11:07:47 11,167 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @muttler - sounds like YLOD to me :(
  • muttler 28 Jul 2012 11:35:26 4,132 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Perfect timing, on the weekend as well! :(

Thanks FP.
  • rechercheone 3 Aug 2012 13:36:35 1 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My Phat PS3 died in June 2012. Had had it since June 2009. Upgraded Skyrim to 1.05. Had Corrupt Data twice. Did a clean install. Success. Fired it up planning to play Skyrim and at the introductory game screen, the thing went beep, the Red Light of Death came on, the machine shut down and I was never able to get it to turn it on again.

Was it coincidental or did the borked Skyrim which kept freezing my PS3 pack it in finally?

Incidentally, I bought a new 30xxA Slim 160GB yesterday. Downloaded Skyrim 1.05. Had Corrupt Data again.
  • Rens11 3 Aug 2012 13:59:21 1,418 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mines still going strong from launch and still less noisy than my slim 360

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• -cerberus- 3 Aug 2012 17:43:56 3,143 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rens11: Really? I'd swear a vaccuum cleaner is hiding under the hood of my launch ps3 slim... I can't even watch a bloody blu ray without having to use my headset to isolate the infernal noise it's making.

Anyway, for the past few weeks my ps3 decided to bug out on me several times by displaying a 'corrupted system file' error message without any science damn reason. After selecting 'ok', the thing performs a scan and after about ten minutes there seem to be no problems whatsoever. Although it does reset all of my console settings to default... This has happened at least five times now.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• DodgyPast 3 Aug 2012 17:53:55 8,493 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That sounds like the hard drive is on the way out.
  • -cerberus- 3 Aug 2012 19:03:33 3,143 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh dear...

• Rens11 3 Aug 2012 19:37:01 1,418 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @-cerberus-

Yep pretty much as quiet as the day I bought it! Thought the Xbox slim would be quieter but mine's not although it is a lot quieter than my old louder than a jet engine launch 360 :D

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• muttler 3 Aug 2012 19:37:31 4,132 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Here's a great tip if you've had YLOD and there's a disc in the drive, read it on an AV Forums thread about YLOD, just tried it and it works.

Turn the power on and off at the back while holding the eject button down. Had to do it a few times and in combination with pressing the power sensor button as well, but sure enough the fans came on really loudly and it ejected the disc.
  • -cerberus- 3 Aug 2012 19:54:01 3,143 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rens11 : It wasn't until the launch of the xbox 360 Elite and Bioshock that I went next-gen. Peas and rice, that thing was loud as hell! :eek: Thank science for the NXE and the easy opional (un)installation of games onto the HDD! However, it did ROD on me about two years after launch but $oft got it repaired in exactly 7 days.
    Upgraded to the x360S at launch afterwards, runs like an absolute dream.

• Rens11 3 Aug 2012 20:07:30 1,418 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @-cerberus-

yeah being able to install games is handy I mainly use mine for watching dvds in bed shame you can't install them too :( might get a cheap homebrew wii for the bedroom should be quiet and can run netflix too without the need for xbox gold which frankly takes the piss from Microsoft

• andywilkie35 17 Aug 2012 18:04:34 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My PS3 hasn't got the YLOD but has a red flashing light - either way it now won't play anything beyond two minutes before the screen goes to shit and it shuts itself down :(

Tried a few different games (Ratchet HD Collection, Dark Souls and MGS4) and same result so obviously the console. Had it since June 2008 and changed the hard drive so no chance of a warranty job.

I'm surprisingly calm about it really, even with Tales of Graces out soon which I've been looking forward to for ages. Guess with most of the other games I want I can still get them on Xbox so not the end of the world. Also it gives me a chance to play through something else on that or the Wii until I get around to being able to afford a new one!

Most likely going to be one of Xenoblade, The Last Story or Skyward Sword, so some excellent choices at least.

Anyone familiar with this flashing red light and am I right in saying it's borked? Google doesn't seem to be giving me a straight answer (which I'm sure means I'm using Google incorrectly, a damning indictment on my computer abilities!)

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• dominalien 17 Aug 2012 18:16:06 7,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's an overheating problem. It's probably very, very dusty inside. Which model is it? IIRC, from a certain point on, there's a way to do a spin-the-fans-very-fast procedure, which is apparently able to help with this kind of thing.

PSN: DonOsito

• Page

of 53 First / Last

Next