PlayStation Vita Page 4

• Page

of 900 First / Last

• Luckyjim 12 May 2010 10:14:52 2,832 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Be interesting to see what they do with it. Will it be like an iphone with gaming controls, for instance?

I like the PSP brand but, I suspect, some consumers will take some convincing this time round. If I'm brutally honest, the PSP floundered. So much wasted potential.
  • LockeTribal 12 May 2010 10:23:40 4,443 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The PSP has sold really well (well except for the Go), it's the software that hasn't moved. That's the main problem. If a PSP2 had the ability to emulate PS2 games sold through the PSStore (and assuming they could get the publishers to put their old games on the store) I could see it being a massive success.
  • Luckyjim 12 May 2010 10:28:01 2,832 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LockeTribal wrote:
    The PSP has sold really well (well except for the Go), it's the software that hasn't moved. That's the main problem. If a PSP2 had the ability to emulate PS2 games sold through the PSStore (and assuming they could get the publishers to put their old games on the store) I could see it being a massive success.

You're right, the PSP has shifted terrific numbers over the last five years. However, I suspect Sony of 2005 would have expected the PSP to be in the DS's position and vice versa by now. I just worry that some of the momentum of a "Sony Handheld" has now gone and the PSP2, unless it really changes the playing field (like the iPhone and DS did), could end up selling less than the original PSP.
  • RyanDS 12 May 2010 10:31:17 8,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love my PSP, especially for the PSOne emulation. If the PSP2 added a second analogue stick and extra shoulder buttons* I wouldn't care if they never released a new game for it if they put the PS2 backlog up for sale.

*4 shoulder buttons could work. Have just one button on each side, but make it concave and have your finger sit in the groove. Have it work like a switch, pushing down or pulling up to mimic R1 and R2, pull directly in to press both at one.
  • KayJay 12 May 2010 10:34:52 5,287 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I blinkin Love my PSP. But if we can get Dual Sticks & 4 shoulder buttons I would be sold all over again...
    If I could play a bit of Bad Company 2 or Modern Warfare on the move that would be full of win.
  • Razz 12 May 2010 10:48:09 60,000 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :)

/taps nose

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• sanctusmortis 12 May 2010 10:52:13 9,590 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What it needs is two more buttons on the back that act as second shoulder buttons that stick out a little, and a second analogue.
  • Venkman90 12 May 2010 10:57:35 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They need to decide what they want to be, the DS brand is casual, durable portable gaming, the PSP is currently high end (for a portable) and not really as portable until the Go.

Plus too much confusion on distribution.

If they go DD only then at least sort the PSN out, the fact that the EU has like half the selection of the US and some PSP games are not available is a fucking joke frankly.

Unless they just want to be big in japan, in which case they are welcome to do what the fuck they want.
  • LockeTribal 12 May 2010 11:00:23 4,443 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:

/taps nose

\o?

What do you know Razz? Tell us! We won't let anyone else know, promise!
  • convercide 12 May 2010 11:32:39 5,757 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Razz wrote:

/taps nose

/scratches underside of elbow and winks each eye alternately.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Venkman90 12 May 2010 11:36:32 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /prolapses rectum

what?
  • RyanDS 12 May 2010 11:47:13 8,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ace Grace wrote:
    /speculation

UMD Drive?

I'd bet 10 right now that a PSP2 would be digital download only.
  • convercide 12 May 2010 11:56:29 5,757 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As long as the games bought from PSN are transferrable, that'll be good enough for me. Also the easy game save transfer to make sure I don't lose my progress on Disgaea.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• danathjo 12 May 2010 11:59:19 6,915 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    if so it'll need a much bigger HD than 16gb
  • Kay 12 May 2010 12:13:46 17,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    convercide wrote:
    As long as the games bought from PSN are transferrable, that'll be good enough for me. Also the easy game save transfer to make sure I don't lose my progress on Disgaea.

This is important for me too, but the problem is backwards compatibility is not always a given on Sony consoles.
  • Widge Moderator 12 May 2010 12:17:53 12,602 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LockeTribal wrote:
    If a PSP2 had the ability to emulate PS2 games sold through the PSStore (and assuming they could get the publishers to put their old games on the store) I could see it being a massive success.

This is what I reckon it won't do (unless I am lacking a bit of design vision) and will be a massive source of moanage.

The addition of a 2nd stick, yep, can see that being added fine. Big question mark over where to put L2/R2 & L3/R3 though. Plenty of games surely make full usage of the buttons available. Maybe less so important with the 3 buttons, only way I could see around this is by making the button arrangement away from the diamond of 4 to 2 rows of 3, like a SF4 control pad.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• scorch 12 May 2010 12:28:40 77 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PSP had a bizarre early life - great launch titles that were not followed up on for ages.

It's a great system to pick up now but if you had one for six years I think you'd have spent quite some time having nothing to play between releases.

Any successor will definitely have to prove itself over a sustained period for me to consider buying it early.
  • LockeTribal 12 May 2010 12:30:23 4,443 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't see them doing that myself though Widge (SF pad arrangement). The PS pad arrangement is almost iconic in itself now and to change that could damage the brand recognition. I also feel that it would make one side of the device too big, unless the size of the buttons was reduced.

As ryandsimmons said above, a rocker-type arrangement could work for the shoulder buttons, and might be the best solution (IMO of course).
  • Venkman90 12 May 2010 12:31:13 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Both the PSP and DS had more potential than they lived up to.

Remember when Blizzard were talking about porting Diablo 2 and Starcraft to them, they did that survey? how amaaing would that have been? or even if someone esle got round to making some decent WRPG's and Dungeon crawls for them...
  • RyanDS 12 May 2010 12:33:28 8,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Venkman90 wrote:
    Both the PSP and DS had more potential than they lived up to.

Remember when Blizzard were talking about porting Diablo 2 and Starcraft to them, they did that survey? how amaaing would that have been? or even if someone esle got round to making some decent WRPG's and Dungeon crawls for them...

All I want is one decent WRPG on my PSP (or my DS I suppose) and I'll be the happiest man alive.

As I have said before I will give 3.84 and a pint to the person who get me Baldurs Gate running on my PSP.
  • 1Dgaf 12 May 2010 12:33:48 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just ordered PSP for 95 with Monster Hunter. (New.)

Now, if the new one is just a memory upgrade and UMD drive / brighter screen - think of an upgraded Go / DS Lite to phat DS - I won't mind. But if it turns out that it has extra buttons / sticks which means there will be games made for that that I can't play, I will be a bit pissed off.

The reason I took a punt on the 99 one, is that it's not normally Sony's way (AFAIK) to add new sticks and so on to revisions of hardware, so I'm hoping they don't break form. I should still be able to sell in a few months for 40 or 50 if need be. Unless the new model can play games the old one can't.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• mrpon 12 May 2010 12:34:13 27,647 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dual nubs? Or some kind of retractable analogue stick? Think I'd prefer the latter to be honest.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• danathjo 12 May 2010 12:35:18 6,915 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    predictions of phone and or touch screen included?
  • Widge Moderator 12 May 2010 12:36:33 12,602 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:

But if it turns out that it has extra buttons / sticks which means there will be games made for that that I can't play, I will be a bit pissed off.

and this is why I always got infuriated when a new PSP would come out and people would cry "why haven't you put a second stick on it?"

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• RyanDS 12 May 2010 12:37:14 8,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    danathjo wrote:

Touch screen maybe. A phone would be pointless, the device is just too large.
  • WinterSnowblind 12 May 2010 12:38:23 1,190 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wouldn't want to see a phone included, it would just drive the price up too high. I'm sure their aim will be to keep it as cheap as possible. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony try and take on the iPhone, so perhaps for an alternate model..
  • Venkman90 12 May 2010 12:38:49 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    danathjo wrote:

Touch screen maybe. A phone would be pointless, the device is just too large.

Yep, and taking on Apple? nien.

Sony imho would have no intrest in the phone market, they want portable high end gaming to be their gap in the market it seems, one they pretty much fill right now (taking into account iphone control limitations).

• Flying_Pig 12 May 2010 12:39:34 10,281 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New Sony hardware at E3 would be awesome.

If it'll play the existing PS2 back catalogue (sell 'em online for a fiver a go) I'd literally explode with joy!
  • 1Dgaf 12 May 2010 12:40:10 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I don't think Sony will take on the phone. They want a financial report that doesn't have hints of 'they tried to take on Apple and fucked it up'.

One rumour I read, supposedly by the guy that predicted the Slim, was that the new machine would have a UMD but wouldn't be anything amazingly exciting.

Please don't fuck up my secondhand console sale, Sony!

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• scorch 12 May 2010 12:43:22 77 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dual analogues even of the same quality as the nice one on the psp go would still be quite self-defeating.

it's not really the lack of a second analogue is the problem, it's that the one they have only really excels in terms of analogue direction, it's just not that great for varying levels of direction. I'm pretty sure it has at most three different levels of speed accuracy, nowhere near enough for a decent shooter (which I assume people are craving, despite it being a genre that's a poor demographic fit for handhelds anyway).
  • Page

of 900 First / Last