Bloody annoying!! PS3 game saves locked to system!!

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • myiagros 2 Mar 2009 02:08:55 1,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know it been mentioned before, but i couldn't find a list of games to which it applied, so i thought i would start one.

In what is becoming an annoyingly regular occurance many game developers are choosing to make there game save copy protected.

This ultimately means 2 things:

1) You are unable to move an existing save file to another machine, to resume play at a differnet location.

2) You are unable to back up game saves incase of system failure. You would therefore have to start the game from scratch, comfounding your misery of having a faulty system.

I understand that some developers do this to try and avoid making trophies easier to attain by trading save files. However many devlopers have countered this by locking the save file to the PSN account, not the system, so it can be played only on the account it was created, but on any system.

I regularly use two different systems, using the same PSN account, and would like to take my save data with me, on an external device. This is so i can continue with my current game, rather than having to start a fresh on each machine, or having to choose in which location i would like to play which game.

I have been able to do this in previous generations, due to memory cards, and it is very annoying to have this versatility removed. It will also be interesting to see how Sony will manage moving these game saves to any future iteration of the PlayStaion system, as it will currently not be possible.

The inability to copy the save data to an external device also means that if you system fails you are guaranteed to lose your save data, as the ps3 system backup facillity can only be fully restored to the same system.

- When checking the copy protected staus of Dante's Inferno i came across a post on the EA forums which seems to do a good job of outlining the available copy protection methods, more clearly than i have attempted to do above.

EA Dante's Inferno forum - Game Save - Copy Prohibited WTF

Many PS3 users, including myself, like to backup their save files to a memory stick or external hard drive to protect aginst system failure in the future.

The developers of MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, Evolution Studios, have unlocked their save files in a patch, which suggests others could do the same if the community raised the issue sufficiently.

FW 3.15
    As of firmware update 3.15, it is now possible to transfer the contents of one ps3 to another, including locked saves, however this requires the 2 systems to be connected with an ethernet cable. This is obviously useful if you a replacing an existing system with a new one, but it you old system has died, then this will obviously not work. I also understand that this completely overwrites the contents of the recieving system with that of the transmitting system. This in no way resolves the issue of moving save data between 2 systems you legitimately use, but are kept in physically seperate locations, or enabling you to backup you game saves without having to backup the entire system, and being able to restore them to a different system in future.

Game saves which are copy protected:

Disc Games
    Army Of Two: The 40th Day
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Band Hero
    Bayonetta
    Dante's Inferno
    Demon's Souls
    DJ Hero
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires
    The Eye Of Judgment
    Guitar Hero 5
    Guitar Hero: Metallica
    Guitar Hero: World Tour
    Heavy Rain
    Killzone 2
    Lego Rock Band
    Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
    Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
    Need For Speed: Carbon
    Need For Speed: Shift
    Rock Band
    Rock Band 2
    Singstar
    Skate 2
    Skate 3
    Star Ocean: Last Hope International
    Street Fighter IV
    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2
    UFC: Undisputed
    Valkyria Chronicles (System Data - Not Play Data)
    Wolfenstein
    WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010

PSN Games
    Bomberman Ultra
    Brain Challenge
    Crash Commando
    Dark Mist
    Dead Nation
    Earthworm Jim HD
    Fat Princess
    Funky Lab Rat
    High Velocity Bowling
    Lara Croft & The Guardian Of Light
    LocoRoco Cocoreccho!
    Mainichi Issho
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2
    Mega Man 9
    Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
    Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
    Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online (Play Data - Not Customise Data)
    Uno

Games saves which may be copy protected (need confirmation):

Bakugan Battle Brawlers
    Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood
    Cloudy With A Chance With Meatballs
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
    Devil May Cry 4 (Online file)
    Dragon Ball: Raging Blast
    Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit
    Fight Night Round 4
    Get Fit With Mel B
    The Godfather 2
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Namco Museum Essentials
    Nail'd
    NCAA Football 10
    Need For Speed: ProStreet
    The Saboteur
    Shank
    Vanquish

Games saves patched to remove copy protection:

Gran Turismo 5
    MotorStorm: Pacfic Rift
    Resident Evil 5

26/2/10 - Lists now include some titles from a seperately maintained list, branched from my original list at PS3blog.net.
  • Deleted user 2 March 2009 02:28:08
    OH bloody hell Im going to loose my game save in LocoRoco Cocoreccho if my PS3 fails!! Im going to have to start the game again and collect all those damn Locos over again and... oh.. fuck.. thats what happens with a game save as well..
  • Retroid Moderator 2 Mar 2009 08:46:59 45,311 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can happen on 360 aswell; fortunately in my experience it's only ever been a Viva Pinata save which has refused to get moved around.
  • Deleted user 2 March 2009 08:56:51
    Actually I'm not sure why developers lock their saves - it should be perfectly possible to allow people to copy saves to a different machine without unlocking trophies on that machine by just embedding the ID of the original player who created the save and the machine it was created on in the save data itself.
  • Retroid Moderator 2 Mar 2009 09:01:19 45,311 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My theory is that they're just being twunts. Especially as 360 saves are locked to the player's profile, as you describe.

^___^
  • Deleted user 2 March 2009 09:49:58
    I discovered this a few days ago on KZ2, didn't even know such a stupid thing existed in the first place. As nekotcha said, user ownership of saves deals with the issue of users uploading their saves for the public to download.
  • NotSoSlim 2 Mar 2009 09:57:17 3,149 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Motorstorm can be removed now
  • tonynibbles 2 Mar 2009 10:15:57 2,247 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SingStar too. That's a real fucker as it has all your playback videos.
  • tonynibbles 2 Mar 2009 10:19:03 2,247 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    * The one way you can back them up is to do a PS3 HDD backup btw (this copies everything and can take a while...)
  • myiagros 2 Mar 2009 11:13:10 1,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    Motorstorm can be removed now

is the patch already out then?

tonynibbles wrote:
    * The one way you can back them up is to do a PS3 HDD backup btw (this copies everything and can take a while...)

That is fine for restoring back to the same system, but there are a lot of issues with restoring to a different system. At best some data won't be restored, at worst the restore file won't be accepted.
  • NotSoSlim 2 Mar 2009 11:18:32 3,149 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yea the patch for Motorstorm was released last week. Too bad i lost my data :(
  • myiagros 2 Mar 2009 11:19:14 1,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    Actually I'm not sure why developers lock their saves - it should be perfectly possible to allow people to copy saves to a different machine without unlocking trophies on that machine by just embedding the ID of the original player who created the save and the machine it was created on in the save data itself.

That is exactly what every developer should be doing, and what sony should enforce as standard.
  • myiagros 2 Mar 2009 11:20:41 1,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    Yea the patch for Motorstorm was released last week. Too bad i lost my data :(

i'll remove it from the list, thanks.

did you lose your data from the patch or though one of the other annoying bugs?
  • OnlyMe 2 Mar 2009 11:27:04 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, I want them to remove any kind of protection on saves regardless. Just cut the connection between trophies and gamesaves altogether. Let's say, I recommend a friend of mine a game, even though he's a more casual gamer and don't have time to unlock everything. He just wants to play what's already on the damn disc! Not spend precious time unlocking shit! But no, I can't let him have my save, since it won't work.

I celebrate EA/Criterion for giving you the option to download a save that unlocks everything in Burnout. I don't celebrate the rather stiff price, though - but at least, they do offer you something.
  • D_arkTrooper 2 Mar 2009 13:58:28 1,350 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mercenaries 2 is another one :(

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• urban 2 Mar 2009 14:00:01 11,070 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    burnout paradise had it at the start, dunno if it still does.
  • myiagros 2 Mar 2009 16:00:16 1,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    urban wrote:
    burnout paradise had it at the start, dunno if it still does.

It is currently locked to the PSN id, but not to the system.
  • Deleted user 2 March 2009 16:29:53
    I had the same problem with some 360 games. It's not a PS3 problem
  • myiagros 14 Mar 2009 17:31:39 1,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bloody Rainbow Six Vegas 2 has a locked save file, for absolutely no bloody reason.

It has no trophies, and the first games save can be copied around freely.

edit: The Resident Evil 5 save is apparently locked as well.
  • Vice.Destroyer 31 Mar 2009 16:13:56 5,967 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glad I found this thread. Now for a question to some of the savvy PS3 owners. Is there a workaround? Especially for Resident Evil 5? Because that would make my friends life a lot easier. Also, why exactly is this system so archaic? There must surely be a more elegant solution to this issue?
  • Darren 31 Mar 2009 16:22:30 9,081 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As others have said, *ALL* game saves can be saved to an external HDD as part of the backup process so at least you have that option. I backup my own PS3's data from the 320 GB HDD to an external self-powered 250 MB HDD that is always plugged in (it's very handy having 4 USB ports!) every month. I backup the other non-locked saves to a Sony memory stick (I knew those memory ports would come in handy for something!) after playing every game. Just to be safe.

On the Xbox 360 you're stuck because any game that cannot be copied to a memory unit is at risk of being lost for good, although it's comforting to know that the failure rate for HDDs is far, far, FAR lower than that of the 360 hardware itself!!!

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Deleted user 31 March 2009 17:26:05
    Retroid wrote:
    Can happen on 360 aswell; fortunately in my experience it's only ever been a Viva Pinata save which has refused to get moved around.

Fable 2 is another one.
  • Darren 1 Apr 2009 08:04:02 9,081 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Someone told me on this forum that you can now copy the Fable II save to a memory unit although I'm sure when I tried it at the time of the game's release I couldn't. However, it may have been fixed in a patch although I've not tried it.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• JohnnyWashnGo 1 Apr 2009 08:57:39 1,544 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have been meaning to implement a continuous backup solution for my PS3 to ensure that all my save data as well as the software I have installed and purchased through PSN store is never lost.

Anybody done similar?

I suppose having an external drive attached to the system and periodically doing a full backup is the best solution - does that ensure that everything is backed up or is it selective in which data gets copied across?

Also, I want to upgrade my internal hard disk to something a bit more usable. Is it possible to get a new hard disk, backup my data to it and then simple swap out the old drive for the new drive? Or do I need to have a backup drive seperate from the actual new drive that I wish to use?
  • LHH 1 Apr 2009 09:11:16 79 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    N@ wrote:
    Retroid wrote:

Fable 2 is another one.

Save data is tied to the profile, not the machine. Stick your profile onto a memory card and voilá! Move your saves around.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2009 10:05:04
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:Is it possible to get a new hard disk, backup my data to it and then simple swap out the old drive for the new drive? Or do I need to have a backup drive seperate from the actual new drive that I wish to use?
    Unfortunately you need a separate backup drive, the new HDD you'll upgrade to needs to be initially formatted and encrypted by your PS3.
  • rprince 2 Apr 2009 17:27:27 151 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why on earth does it matter if people get trophies by downloading game saves from the web? Most people only compete for trophies against their friends, don't they? If that.

They're mostly just another measure of your personal success in a game. Who cares if people want to cheat to get more trophies? No-one complains about GameFAQs and other walkthroughs, which tell you how to complete games.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 03:35:37
    LHH wrote:
    N@ wrote:
    Retroid wrote:

Fable 2 is another one.

Save data is tied to the profile, not the machine. Stick your profile onto a memory card and voilá! Move your saves around.

Hmm. Last time I checked it wouldn't transfer my Fable 2 save from my old 'box to the newer one.
  • myiagros 3 Apr 2009 10:57:48 1,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In the new ps3 firmware update sony seem to have added the option to backup downloaded films to an external device.

My understanding is that these are locked to the user account in a similar way as the problematic game save data. Hopefully sony will implement something similar for save data, so it can be backed up independantly of the entire system, then restore to the same PSN profile on any system.
  • Retroid Moderator 3 Apr 2009 11:35:41 45,311 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LHH wrote:
    In the case of Fable 2 perhaps (I moved my save onto a memory card, so that save isn't locked), but Viva Pinata is. Thankfully most games don't do it.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous