dont trade in one game. do something for others

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • belta 28 Feb 2009 20:53:02 306 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    a new charity set up.
    even if it is a rubbish game, instead of getting a couple of quid for it, why not help others.
    their site
    http://donategames.org/

1up article
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173002

or why not just buy a game from them
  • yegon 28 Feb 2009 21:18:20 5,210 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll definitely donate. I've got squillions of old, decent games that are essentially worthless in monetary terms and I'll never play them again.

I remember reading an article, iirc in Games TM, about this journo who investigated a similar cause. I was really moved by the article and one part genuinely upset me.

Can't remember the exact details, but children in orphanages would write down what they'd like for Xmas. This list would then be circulated somewhere in the hope that random people would donate gifts. Amidst all the stupidly optimistic requests for a 360/PS3's et al, there were more humble requests which got progressively more heartbreaking; "Sonic (for example)", "a wrestling game", "a racing game for the gameboy advance". The real heartbreaker was some kid who simply asked for "a (original) Gameboy game".

Christ, it's stuff like that makes me realize what a wonderful childhood I had, and the privileged existence I now lead. Still upsets me when I think about tbh.

Thanks for the heads up, I really ought to have investigated this myself after reading that Games TM article.

edit: Having studied that site, I would have preferred it if the games were going directly to the kids. Cynical as I am, I have absolutely zero faith in charities. 30 or 40% would probably go to "administration fees" and chuggers. Hmm.
  • speedofthepuma 28 Feb 2009 21:20:56 13,278 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That could have easily been my Christmas list as a kid you spoilt brat.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• gareth886 28 Feb 2009 21:33:56 2,841 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But you have to post the games to an address in america?
  • Carlo 28 Feb 2009 21:34:20 17,981 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm up for this, but I can;t find a statement of what percentage of revenue ends up in the hands of the causes.

PSN ID: Djini

• angeltreats 28 Feb 2009 21:37:06 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What about region locking though - will they be able to sell PAL games if it's a US based thingy with (presumably) mostly US based customers?
  • Psychotext 28 Feb 2009 21:37:41 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will bookmark that. Often I don't think trading in games is worth the money so I'd be happy to give them to a charity.

Edit - It's US? Not much use then. =/
  • angeltreats 28 Feb 2009 21:38:21 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wonder if they would take promos. We have lots of them we could donate.
  • yegon 28 Feb 2009 21:38:33 5,210 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, the postage issue and the question mark over percentages make this a no go for me. If anyone finds a UK alternative, preferably one which the games go straight to the kids, keep us informed. Sadly, I'm far too lazy and decadent to investigate further myself.
  • angeltreats 28 Feb 2009 21:40:40 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Hmm, the postage issue and the question mark over percentages make this a no go for me. If anyone finds a UK alternative, preferably one which the games go straight to the kids, keep us informed. Sadly, I'm far too lazy and decadent to investigate further myself.

Maybe you could just give them directly to children's hospitals or something like that?

Although the trouble with that is the certificate on lots of games innit.
  • Syrette 28 Feb 2009 21:41:39 43,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    What about region locking though - will they be able to sell PAL games if it's a US based thingy with (presumably) mostly US based customers?

This.

• yegon 28 Feb 2009 21:42:54 5,210 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    Maybe you could just give them directly to children's hospitals or something like that?

Although the trouble with that is the certificate on lots of games innit.

Good call, although I'll probably leave out the Thrill Kill cdr. Surely *everyone* has, or had, a chipped PS1?
  • belta 28 Feb 2009 21:55:34 306 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    good point. i'm going to find out if any childrens wards have consoles and if they would be willing to accept games suitable to the age range. will keep you all posted

i've just been to the great ormond street web site, they dont seem to have a contact email, so i will call them tomorrow
  • Deleted user 28 February 2009 21:57:30
    Good idea but just gives me the impetus to drop of my games at the local charity shop instead. Which I never thought of until now.
  • wayneh 1 Mar 2009 16:35:02 2,309 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If anyone finds anything UK based where the games go straight to the kids or for a hospital ward etc. please post it as I would donate games as well.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• smugla 1 Mar 2009 17:11:24 2,074 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    why not take the games in to your local hospital childrens ward
  • PhoenixFlames 1 Mar 2009 17:28:14 8,942 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Cynical as I am, I have absolutely zero faith in charities. 30 or 40% would probably go to "administration fees" and chuggers. Hmm.

This is a common myth. Charities are closely monitored and audited. They are also staffed by highly professional teams of the same or better quality than the private sector.

Of course staff need to be paid but from personal experience of a charity I know of 85p of every 1 goes directly to the people it supports.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• davey_wells 1 Mar 2009 21:25:59 93 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I noticed in GAME the other day that they were 'giving away' old PS2 games if you donated 1 to a charity box.

• 1Dgaf 2 Mar 2009 13:54:45 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    See if your local kids' hospital lists what toys/games they accept.

I bagged up my PS1 and games to give to Great Ormond St., but the fuckers never replied to my email asking where I could drop them off / if they accept other consoles.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• Page

of 1

Previous Next