fighting fantasy Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• superfurryanimal 17 Apr 2009 03:44:54 1,023 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    These books also turned me onto artist Ian Miller's work, which I ripped off throughout my art A-levels :)
    http://www.ian-miller.org/artwork.htm
  • DFawkes 17 Apr 2009 08:54:06 24,047 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved the sci-fi ones like Star Strider. Well, I liked them all, but the sci-fi ones were always a nice change.

I remember when they announced the PSone game Deathtrap Dungeon, I imagined this great game adaption, with turn-based combat based on the same system as the books and selectable paths. But it ended up being another 3D adventure game with a female lead. Still good though.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• ardamillo 17 Apr 2009 08:58:53 525 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I loved the sci-fi ones like Star Strider. Well, I liked them all, but the sci-fi ones were always a nice change.

Me too - Space Assassin was one of my faves. I could never finish it without cheating though.
  • Lutz 17 Apr 2009 08:59:45 48,854 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Deathtrap dungeon... that was in our primary school library, and ALL the lads fought over who got to read it.
  • Lutz 17 Apr 2009 09:01:09 48,854 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And FEAR was a fucking joke in terms of difficulty.

Best ones IMO were Citadel of Chaos and Sword of the Samurai.
  • Alastair 17 Apr 2009 09:07:33 16,405 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I bought Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Citadel of Chaos and Forest of Doom a year or so ago.
    WFM was just how I remembered, and this time I played through it properly. :o)
    I *still* haven't managed to complete Citadel of Chaos!!
  • MisterFahrenheit 17 Apr 2009 10:51:29 29 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only thing I really remember were the illustrations. Pretty sure it was below a castle or a dungeon of some sort (but then again, they ALL were!)

Pretty much, yeah :) Although Beneath Nightmare Castle seems the obvious one...

Moar FF linkage:

Originals
    - Got all of 'em! \o/

Reissues
  • Wyrm 18 Aug 2012 16:06:47 175 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm doing a Fighting Fantasy blog
  • DaM 18 Aug 2012 16:45:30 13,529 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh I see....
    I was going to suggest mine, which is Jade Jackson fighting Jessica Ennis.
  • Carbon_Altered 19 Aug 2012 21:18:00 736 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wyrm wrote:
    I'm doing a Fighting Fantasy blog

Ha! Me too, not going to link to it yet though until I've bulked it up a bit.

Mine is with half an eye of actually having a go at writing a game book later this year, but as part of my "research" playing City of Thieves (twice) has been a lot of fun.

There are actually quite a lot of these sort of blogs. I recommend googling "Fighting Dantasy" and "Turn to 400"
  • Wyrm 24 Aug 2012 11:16:24 175 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bollocks, lol. Didn't realise these were already trundling along...
  • bad09 26 Aug 2012 22:14:40 6,255 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People may already know this but I only found out today so thought I'd share the bad news. The app version of Blood Of The Zombies has been delayed so it's now coming at the end of September, not long but gutting as I was waiting eagerly for tomorrow :(

Good news comes with that bad though! 2nd book to get the digital treatment is the wonderful House Of Hell in Oct/Nov \o/ Following on from that Tinman have 2 under their hats. One is an "early Ian Livingstone classic" (Deathtrap Dungeon I reckon!) and the other is a later Steve Jackson one "that very much broke free of the traditional fantasy genre at the time" (Starship Traveller or Appointment With F.E.A.R. maybe?).

http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=2509

Edited by bad09 at 22:16:21 26-08-2012
  • bad09 16 Oct 2012 18:01:17 6,255 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blood Of The Zombies hits Android and IOS today for anyone interested. 3.99.

Tell you what, I won't miss tearing the adventure sheets with a rubber on these app versions :)
  • FanBoysSuck 16 Oct 2012 18:04:58 1,540 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah but you won't be able to cheat ;)

For the emperor!

• bad09 16 Oct 2012 18:10:56 6,255 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I haven't checked the app out too much yet but I'm sure I saw reference to a mode where you can do just that :)
  • FanBoysSuck 16 Oct 2012 18:18:08 1,540 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really? Sweet! You'll need it for blood of the zombie, I've got the first edition of the book and even Livingston said it was too hard and bumped up the starting stats for later versions. I wish I could patch my book :(

Edit : without wrecking a first edition with a biro, obviously ;)

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 20:01:26 16-10-2012

For the emperor!

• bad09 16 Oct 2012 18:28:41 6,255 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just checked and it does have a mode called free read where you can go back if take a wrong turn.
  • Alastair 17 Oct 2012 15:59:03 16,405 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Blood Of The Zombies hits Android and IOS today for anyone interested. 3.99.

Tell you what, I won't miss tearing the adventure sheets with a rubber on these app versions :)
    Oooh, I will check that out.
    Phone is probably too antiquated to run it, but the tablet probably will.
  • Moot_Point 17 Oct 2012 16:13:13 4,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I had all the FF adventure books up to 35 or so, but switched to the Lone Wolf series instead. Lost many months to those books. Actually, these sound an excellent addition to e-books to be honest.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Alastair 18 Oct 2012 08:35:21 16,405 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I liked the Lone Wolf series as well. I believe there was/is a project that has put the Lone Wolf books onto the DS, but you need a memcard player thingy to use it.

Downloaded Blood of the Zombies last night but didn't get a chance to start. I did notice a note that said House of Hell will be the next release...
  • RyanDS 18 Oct 2012 09:06:16 9,833 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I liked the Lone Wolf series as well. I believe there was/is a project that has put the Lone Wolf books onto the DS, but you need a memcard player thingy to use it.

Downloaded Blood of the Zombies last night but didn't get a chance to start. I did notice a note that said House of Hell will be the next release...
    Lone Wolf are are free online. http://www.projectaon.org/

Some of them have also been ported for free to the DS, again accesible on that site.

Joe Dever is an awesome awesome man for allowing the use of his IP like this.

Also worth checking out are the Black Baron / White Warlord books, they are basically a FPS multiplayer game in book form. My wife and I still play them occasionally. Each player has one book and you have a deathmatch.
  • bad09 18 Oct 2012 18:20:46 6,255 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alastair wrote:

I did notice a note that said House of Hell will be the next release...
    Yep \o/ Should be with us soon they did slate it for Oct/Nov. We'll also get 2 others not sure when and only cryptic clues on what they are though. An "early Ian Livingstone classic" and the other is a later Steve Jackson one which as they put it "very much broke free of the traditional fantasy genre at the time".

Anyway enjoying BOTZ very much takes me right back. Do have to say though even without getting the book version of BOTZ I do think I prefer real books over apps. It's great and everything but not having your dice and pencil does feel wrong somehow. Just being an old rose-tinted fart probably and it's only a very minor niggle that colour artwork and no ripped adventure sheets quickly erase. Welcome back to the world Fighting Fantasy I didn't know I missed you until you came back. :)
  • Moot_Point 18 Oct 2012 18:47:43 4,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Alastair wrote:

Some of them have also been ported for free to the DS, again accesible on that site.

Joe Dever is an awesome awesome man for allowing the use of his IP like this.

Also worth checking out are the Black Baron / White Warlord books, they are basically a FPS multiplayer game in book form. My wife and I still play them occasionally. Each player has one book and you have a deathmatch.
    Do you know if any of the files are compatible with iPod touch? If not i may have to invest in another e-book reader. The Lone Wolf series are that good, in my opinion.

================================================================================

• Alastair 19 Oct 2012 09:03:39 16,405 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:

Just had a quick click through online - looks great.
    Need to run a test at home to see how well it works on my Android tablet. And if the downloaded version runs on it...I'm guessing it's HTML-based so would probably work.
  • Moot_Point 22 Oct 2012 18:45:52 4,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have been playing Blood of the Zombies over the last few days, and i am loving it, it's brilliant. Takes me right back to the good old days before computer games took over. I think one of the next releases is Warlock of Firetop Mountain, because i unlocked the relevant achievement when i went to the location it was in. Can't wait if it is, although secretly i would like to see Deathtrap Dungeon.

• Alastair 23 Oct 2012 07:56:04 16,405 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    City of Thieves for me. Curse you Zanbar Bone!
  • Alastair 24 Oct 2012 11:18:55 16,405 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got quite a long way through Blood of the Zombies and then died last night. I need to summon the will to play again.
    Wish I'd made a map... In fact, I wish the app created a map for you as you played through.

Edit - I read through the History of Fighting Fantasy after the game ended - an interesting read.

Edited by Alastair at 11:20:00 24-10-2012
  • Moot_Point 24 Oct 2012 11:45:50 4,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    Yeah but you won't be able to cheat ;)
    Wrong! you have unlimited bookmarks, even on Hardcore. So you can reload at any tough decision in the book.

@Alastair What?! You haven't been playing on Hardcore mode? Shame on you. Actually that is why i haven't finished it yet.

Edited by Moot_Point at 11:47:15 24-10-2012

• Alastair 24 Oct 2012 13:47:37 16,405 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @Alastair What?! You haven't been playing on Hardcore mode? Shame on you. Actually that is why i haven't finished it yet.
    What makes you think I wasn't playing on Hardcore mode?

You're right, I wasn't. But how could you tell. :)
  • Moot_Point 24 Oct 2012 14:54:10 4,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Actually the 'you' and 'haven't' should be the other way round. ; )
    I could tell because you have finished before me! It's bloody hard getting through on hardcore, but playing through on the lower difficulties should show the best route for hardcore. Something i should have done, to be honest.

• Page

of 5 First / Last