Anyone buying a DSi?

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 23:47:51
    New gadget is on the horizon and thus I am now facing the dilemma of justifying it to myself. I love my DS, I think it is the best designed handheld I have ever owned, and I have had an incredible amount of fun with it, but it has been going dry recently. Once I finish Chrono Trigger I don't think there is anything else, except the new Mario and Luigi, which interests me. I also don't think it looks as nice. But damnit it's new so I want it. >:(

Oh and the GAME offer is quite tempting.
  • WrongShui 26 Feb 2009 00:07:29 6,598 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No.
  • ecureuil 26 Feb 2009 00:08:09 76,481 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    R4DS won't work on it. So no.
  • angerisagift 26 Feb 2009 00:12:08 1,947 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not a chance. My gameplay experience isn;t going to be significantly improved by trading up from my shiny black DS lite so to Hell with dropping another hundred odd quid on that DSi bullsheeeeeeet!

XBL GT: C0keMachineGl0w
    PSN ID: StarrySummerSky

• JYM60 26 Feb 2009 00:14:56 16,783 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've barely played my DS since pokemon.

Bought mario and luigi, and Zelda, but just couldn't get into them.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• DaisyD 26 Feb 2009 00:18:29 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz already has one.
  • Rankin 26 Feb 2009 00:19:05 2,930 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I probably will. I still have an old "fat" DS because I never traded up to a Lite.
  • JinTypeNoir 26 Feb 2009 00:22:08 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It depends really. The downsides are that the battery life is somewhat shorter, even on the lowest light setting I always use and it can't play GBA games, but I assume you know both of those things. I only ever notice the screen difference when I go from one device to the other.

Other than that though, it's very nice. The sound production it uses (I almost always use headphones) is noticeably crisper and louder at first, but as sound goes, you eventually don't notice it any more. So I can't say any old games that I'm playing, I'm noticing any new subtleties in the music and sound effects at this point.

DSiWare is the biggest reason you'd want one and it looks pretty good at this point - the first third party games are coming out now and Nintendo has been supporting DSiWare with a lot more content themselves than they have Wiiware. One thing I like is that some of the games are for it are smaller, more focused versions of other DS games -- so you can get an extension of a game you liked or if you're not sure you want a game, a piece of it for very very little money. I've found with two games now that I'm happy with the piece I've got and don't want the full version, so that's extremely helpful. The ability to play lots of different games without switching out any cartridges is of course, fantastic on the go.

Lots of the ArtStyle games Nintendo releases for it are terribly unique puzzler experiments that get addictive.

But the best thing is the Moving Memo application you can download for free. Ever since it came out it has been a constant source of glee. It's almost like the Mario Paint followup I've always wanted. Doodling a bit in my spare time is so easy (as is uploading the finished movie) and I check the site that collects all the movies (which is fiendishly popular) as much or more than the big movie sites like Nico Nico or Youtube. Some of the multi-part storylines users make that continue for days and weeks there are really inventive.

I usually take my iPod and my DS around with me, so with the DSi able to play MP3s now, it's done conveniently enough that sometimes I can just take my DSi and go with that. That it has to share its function with other things and is not as small or convenient is against it, but it helps reduce portable glut too. Like when I get new music and all I want to do is listen to it on the train, I can just put it on my DSi. When I want a much larger selection or don't want to have the DSi in my pocket, I bring along my iPod. It's nice to be able to switch between the two, because the PSP's form factor makes it way too hard to be as convenient.

Myself, I like to play around like gadgets like the camera from time to time, even on my cellphone, so the DSi camera with all its quirks -- well, sometimes I get the urge to try something out. It's also been helpful for all the reasons a cellphone camera usually is when I don't have my cellphone -- you know, the type of thing where you're at a bookstore and you see an enticing new author you know you won't remember the name for, but you don't want to buy right now, so you take a picture to remind yourself.

That's what it's like for me, owning a DSi, your mileage may vary. Overall, I find DSiware the biggest advantage, and I like that it helps me simplify my need to carry around portable gadgets from time to time. I still keep my Lite around for GBA games and it can be useful to switch between them also when you want to keep playing away from an outlet but you don't want to charge one or the other.
  • Charlie_Miso 26 Feb 2009 00:24:51 1,191 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm getting one.
  • Burkey123 26 Feb 2009 00:32:18 382 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have a Lite and I'm on the fence about getting a DSi. I think I'll hold out and see what DSi exclusive things are coming out. The new Warioware looks pretty sweet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY2SJHbGgcs
  • smugla 26 Feb 2009 00:39:26 2,063 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If its going to be 150 they can suck my balls
  • ripsa 26 Feb 2009 00:43:30 288 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I fell deeply in love with my black DS Lite. However I will admit it get's the least played between the Xbox 360, the PS2, and emus on my laptop. It is great however when I have to do things like wait for my girlfriend while she gets her nails done. Being able to kick back with Final Fantasy IV stopped me from raging in that scenario.

But I just don't see what great advantages a DSi would give me over a DS Lite with Edge card, for example the MP3 ability is something many people would already have. If you have a DS phat then it would make sense to upgrade otherwise few people have managed to explain to me coherently why to upgrade other then "ooohhhh it's soooo cute and sexyyy looook at the shiny new thing".
  • Tomo 26 Feb 2009 00:46:36 13,878 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like a complete waste of money to me. It even sounds worse than the DS Lite if it's got a worse battery life. Jeez.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 26 Feb 2009 02:35:08 532 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The slightly bigger screen and nicer d-pad are the main appeal, but as mentioned the battery life and most importantly the lack of GBA slot are what's holding me back, otherwise I'd have probably bought one here already as my launch DS Lite has an abysmal d-pad (one of the dodgy bunch, but didn't notice it early enough). The UK price is also quite scary, but I wasn't planning on a UK model anyway.
  • twelveways 26 Feb 2009 04:10:40 3,841 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

Some of my students have them and they download games for them.
  • yegon 26 Feb 2009 04:53:14 5,155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Won't be buying one. I'd miss my M3 Lite in the gba slot. Besides, none of the upgrades interest me in the slightest. For the quality of graphics the DS can offer, fine for portable games, the bog standard DS Lite screens are sufficient.

Besides, lately I've been wrapped up playing Neo Geo & CPS stuff on my PSP.
  • seasidebaz 26 Feb 2009 08:22:38 6,126 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    YES I WILL BUY ONE AND RHYTHM HEAVEN THE BESTEST GAME EVAR

Not interested in the piracy aspect, so it's a far better machine for me than the DSLite.
  • thedaveeyres 26 Feb 2009 08:26:41 10,684 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll be buying one, I love my DS.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Lexx87 26 Feb 2009 08:28:41 20,869 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

Ah so piracy is a good reason not to buy one then :p

Speak the truth hussy!

• dr_swin 26 Feb 2009 08:41:19 4,860 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a really beat up old original ds with the upper screen hanging off. Remarkably, it still works. I am hoping that game will accept it for a trade in. What are my chances?
  • Deleted user 26 February 2009 08:59:45
    Definitely will at some point; just need the DSiWare library to firm up a bit first.
  • coderkind 26 Feb 2009 09:06:45 982 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    150 = no sale.
  • Lexx87 26 Feb 2009 09:07:38 20,869 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Might fudge one as a birthday present :p

Speak the truth hussy!

• El_Draque 26 Feb 2009 09:08:12 132 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    An iPod touch costs 10 more so no.
  • Xerx3s 26 Feb 2009 09:12:04 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, already have a DS and this has nothing relevant that makes me want to shell out another shitload of cash.
  • Xerx3s 26 Feb 2009 09:13:16 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    No, I have my fat S but almost never use it.
    Handheld gaming doesn't seem for me....

Yeah, that was my dilemma as well. I'm interested in less than 2 or 3 games on the ds a year but then I discovered scummvm...
  • Deleted user 26 February 2009 09:15:02
    Tomo wrote:
    Sounds like a complete waste of money to me. It even sounds worse than the DS Lite if it's got a worse battery life. Jeez.
    This.
  • Pirotic Moderator 26 Feb 2009 09:16:39 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

I suspect this will be the reply of the vast majority of serious gamers who own a DS.
  • Lexx87 26 Feb 2009 09:18:07 20,869 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a reply that annoys me.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous