Assassin's Creed 2

• Page

of 67 First / Last

Previous
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Feb 2009 23:08:18 45,310 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Details leaked?
    Whilst wondering around town today during my lunch break i noticed a Ubisoft booth. people were asking questionnaires about games. I thought hey, I'm a gamer, a pretty hardcore one i think il give this a go. so i did; Questionnaire wasn't too exciting to be fair, it was what happened afterwards that was. I was brought into a room with a TV set up and this is what followed :

A trailer for lo and behold, assassins creed 2, all be it in production and not finalised i will explain what i saw

Venice 15th/16th century, The camera pans onto the city focusing on the hussle and bussle of daily life. think the civilians from assassins creed 1 but more interactive with each other. During this scene we see a man passing money to the hands of an attractive girl, (originally i didn't notice this but was told by the rep that it does happen).

2 Men, a relatively large one and a skinny one step off a boat with a cohort of guards and proceed to a Square within the city, where a masked ball was taking place. Every ones dancing around, not much to say here other than that it was a ball.

The girl seen previously accepting the bribe, approaches the skinnier of the two men and takes him off to the crowd, for a dance, she was good looking, who'd say no. The camera spins around them centrally, but focusing on the dancers as a whole.

A guy comes out from the side, dressed in dancers garb and proceeds to stab this skinnier man in the neck, with what looks like the finger blade from AC1. Man dies spewing blood, garbble garbble etcetc.

The 2nd of the men, the fatter one, notices this and proceeds to run, after sending the guards after the protagonist. Who, by this time has reached the roof and runs parallel to the target who continues to run on the floor. The player jumps off onto the ground and the fat man stops. commenting on the fanciness of the jump.

Facing off, the fat man continues to speak. i cant quite recall the exact words but it was something along the lines of

"It was a shame that your mother had to die, she was a beautiful woman ... Your father on the other hand, it was due to your arrogance that he died"

The protagonist then shoots at the fat Man with a bolt pistol, and the trailer ends.

Post trailer discussion, a family feud was hinted at, yet nothing was said about the brotherhood. Disguises were also said to play a part in this game. The trailer was not fully textured or rendered but seemed on par to the crow trailer originally showed for assassins creed 1. due to the lack of textures and the like combined with the fluidity i would assume it wasn't game play. furthermore after the trailer was shown, i was shown 3 pictures of the protagonist, all in different clothes and chose to pick a favourite. significantly underneath the word ezio was written on all 3 pictures. I believe this to be the guys name, as it sounds Italian. Again his face wasn't entirely shown, so i assume it is the future reliving the past again.

Was told that this would be shown at a game expo this year, but not told which one. hinted E3 when pressured. release was given tho on a broad scale. Late this year early next.
    Sounds plausible.

I actually really liked AC1, despite its flaws I lost many an hour to it.
  • Trafford 24 Feb 2009 23:14:19 5,971 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was a good game for me.I'm sure the sequel will be much improved.
    Having read a explanation of the ending ,the frachise has a lot of scope.
  • Donny 24 Feb 2009 23:19:20 1,491 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Venice as a setting could be soooo awesome if they get it right.
  • VeniVidiFlati 25 Feb 2009 09:16:53 25 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apparently, now he can swim...

click
  • Trafford 25 Feb 2009 09:53:53 5,971 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Be a good thing in Venice.
  • jonsaan 25 Feb 2009 09:57:24 25,440 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cool. I too played a lot of the original! Cool game, warts and all.

FCUTA!

• kencleary 25 Feb 2009 10:12:05 237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Venice sounds promising. Like a poster above said a lean in the direction of the Thief series and less repetitive swordplay could be make this a great game rather than the original which was simply good.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 10:15:13
    Swimming = me not interested.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 10:15:13
    Has the potential to be an amazing game. If they can continue and expand on what they got right and strip out what they got wrong it will be fantastic.

I do worry though. Sequels to games like this always turn up the volume on ‘action’, which would be making more of the bad stuff imo.
  • Big-Swiss 25 Feb 2009 10:20:02 8,241 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    this could be a cool thing, I remember how much I loved the first one, but it did disapoint a little bit in some terms. but the details and the graphic made you forgive what would piss you off in other games.................
  • sanctusmortis 25 Feb 2009 10:22:09 9,797 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I posted that in the Assassins Creed thread!
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Feb 2009 10:25:21 35,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Remove all the terrible formulaic shit that felt like the game was mainly based around achievements, get inspiration for the assasination methods from Hitman, and it could be good.

Like this will happen. :-I
  • the_dudefather 25 Feb 2009 10:36:18 9,418 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really enjoyed assassin's creed, if they make the city feel more alive and have more variety then it could be a great improvement on the original.

Oh, and an ending.

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Deleted user 25 February 2009 10:41:09
    Sounds perfectly plausible for the contents of the trailer, but judging by the trailer for the first there's no reason to expect that much of that promise will translate into the final game.

Personally I'm less interested in how the NPC's interact with one another and other such incidental details and more interested in whether the climbing will be a bit more challenging, whether there's greater variation and whether there's actually the opportunity to assassinate targets rather than getting locked into a swordfight with them and twenty guards.
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Feb 2009 10:45:41 35,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I want to seceretly observe my target. Follow it around to find out about his daily routine. Speak to people to gather more information about his habits (and I don't mean a shitty "sit on the bench" minigame). Then I want to decide if I climb into his bedroom at night, poison his wine, or kill him in the bathhouse which he visits every Sunday.
  • Blerk Moderator 25 Feb 2009 10:47:00 48,225 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I want to seceretly observe my target. Follow it around to find out about his daily routine. Speak to people to gather more information about his habits (and I don't mean a shitty "sit on the bench" minigame). Then I want to decide if I climb into his bedroom at night, poison his wine, or kill him in the bathhouse which he visits every Sunday.
    Are we still talking about the game? :-)
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Feb 2009 10:48:37 35,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oops. Meant to post this in the "I think my missus is cheating on me" thread.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 11:12:07
    :)

Trouble is Lou, what you want is Hitman. AC was a long way short of providing that level of choice because there simply wasn't a high enough level of interaction with the world or characters in it to be able to do that.

The AI for instance, was admittedly reasonable at presenting the illusion of a bustling city but my issue with it was that very little of the AI features actually seemed to be focused on the experience when you actually started to play the thing, by killing people or running around the world, beyond the (admittedly nice) crowd dynamics. It's like they developed the whole thing as an AI-only simulation and then worried about dropping the player into it after.

AC annoyed me more for failing to deliver on its promise and ambition quite a lot, as you might be able to tell. :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Feb 2009 11:18:19 35,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "Trouble is Lou, what you want is Hitman."

Definitely. :) But I think we pretty much agree on that?

That said, it doesn't need to have quite as brilliant level/misison design as it also has the "open world" thing going for it.

Fully agree that it felt like an engine/AI demo (in which they integrated a few super-shallow achievement minigames at the last second), not like a proper game at all.

God, I hated it for all the wasted potential.

• jozz 25 Feb 2009 11:23:52 4,871 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No more flags would be a good start and what Unclelou said. Keep the same routine of travel to a city, gather information and assassinate but have the last two steps different for each new location. I've got a feeling we'll probably get more of this in the sequel after the amount of copies it sold, but much less hand holding too. Ubi created a huge play area to explore with no actual exploration needed to find and assassinate the target.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 11:26:28
    UncleLou wrote:
    "Trouble is Lou, what you want is Hitman."

Definitely. :) But I think we pretty much agree on that?

That said, it doesn't need to have quite as brilliant level/misison design as it also has the "open world" thing going for it.

I do wonder whether the open world thing is in some ways the thing that stifles the level of player choice over how to tackle the missions though, because the scale of everything is so much bigger the implications for giving the player more tools to play with are also that much bigger than they are in something like Hitman.

I wouldn't mind it if each of the playable areas was significantly smaller in the sequel, but they concentrated on making them more interesting and more interactive. They were so fecking repetitive in the original.
  • Retroid Moderator 25 Feb 2009 12:36:52 45,310 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    Personally I'm less interested in how the NPC's interact with one another and other such incidental details and more interested in whether the climbing will be a bit more challenging, whether there's greater variation
    Definately this.

I loved the cities they created in AC1, absolutely loved them; they really did feel like organic places, no grids. It was the lack of variety in what you had to / could do in the game which was a disappointment for me. Save a few citizens from getting arrested, track an informant, then finally get a target to assassinate. Hmm.

Personally I'd be chuffed to bits to have the same cities but more missions & variety to them!
    and whether there's actually the opportunity to assassinate targets rather than getting locked into a swordfight with them and twenty guards.
    Yeah, that could happen a lot. But one of my favourite moments in the game was with the first (I think) target in the small market square. I let him get on with his speech, then closed in on him slowly as he was being an arse to some of the stall owners.... then slipped him one (BLADE) from behind and escaped into the market crowd before his guards noticed who I was.
  • GloatingSwine 6 Apr 2009 20:15:50 2,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Teaser

More information in Game Informer next week, apparently.
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Apr 2009 20:20:56 35,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, Florence during the renaissance now?

edit:

Oh, wait, it already says Italy in the 15th/16th century in the OP.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2009 20:25:37
    Ooo, it's some augmented reality fluffery. Shame my printer's out of order.
  • ronuds 6 Apr 2009 20:29:16 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm really disappointed this thread wasn't named "Ass Creed 2"

• CosmicFuzz 6 Apr 2009 20:30:35 25,624 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really should get around to playing the first one.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• frugtkompot 6 Apr 2009 20:58:28 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Same here, but I never could figure out whether it was worth playing or not. I've read some threads and such, but opinions seem to go in every possible direction.
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Apr 2009 21:00:35 15,395 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    frugtkompot wrote:
    Same here, but I never could figure out whether it was worth playing or not. I've read some threads and such, but opinions seem to go in every possible direction.

For the pennies you should be able to get it for now, the original is well worth ago, the less said about the last few hours the better but still a very impressive game and it does look stunning.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• ronuds 6 Apr 2009 21:05:23 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I rented the game, got stuck trying to find the 2nd location, forgot to play it again or return it - was charged late fees.

:(
  • Page

of 67 First / Last

Previous