Things - Iphone/Mac App

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 24 February 2009 01:06:46
    Great app, bloody terrible title! Complete bitch to search for info on on Google. Has anyone got it? I have the Iphone app, and it works a treat but I have a feeling I'm not using it too it's full potential, especially considering it wasn't cheap. Has anyone got the very expensive desktop version- worth it? I have a couple of questions for the Iphone app if anyone can help me:

Can you make it sync with entourage (on the mac)?
    Can you make it sync with ical?
    Is there a way to make it remind you without having to open the app?
  • corimi 24 Feb 2009 01:32:24 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, I use this to oragnise my life :) Only annoying thing is that my iPhone version recently stopped syncing completely for some reason, but no-one else seems to have had this issue :/

Not sure about Entourage sync (doubt it though), but you can have Things sync your Inbox, Today, Someday or Next list to iCal - plus you can customise this to some extent. Personally I don't do this as Things doesn't support times (hence no reminder functionality) and I use iCal reminders quite a bit, might suit you to though.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2009 02:26:10
    Things is ok but I prefer ToDo as the best gtd on the iPhone. Though I'm sure things is better if you have the desktop version as well but tbh the price is ridiculous for what it is.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2009 22:59:15
    Noticed people were talking about it in the Iphone app thread so thought I would bump this. How are people finding it? I found when I could sync it with my mac it was pure bliss, but now I can't and I'm considering using "The Hit List" which I got with the MacHeist bundle, but that doesn't have an Iphone app annoyingly.
  • mrpon 2 Jul 2009 23:07:13 28,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    How are people finding it?
    With Google, but it's a complete bitch.

:)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 2 July 2009 23:07:41
    Stabs mrpon in the rectum.
  • mrpon 2 Jul 2009 23:08:26 28,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    \o/

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 2 July 2009 23:38:23
    mowgli wrote:
    Great app, bloody terrible title! Complete bitch to search for info on on Google. Has anyone got it? I have the Iphone app, and it works a treat but I have a feeling I'm not using it too it's full potential, especially considering it wasn't cheap. Has anyone got the very expensive desktop version- worth it? I have a couple of questions for the Iphone app if anyone can help me:

Can you make it sync with entourage (on the mac)?
    Can you make it sync with ical?
    Is there a way to make it remind you without having to open the app?

No idea about entourage - there are conduit apps that might move between ical and entourage though.

It does sync with iCal - not great though, but does lead me to your last point: -

It won't remind you out of the app BUT it does have a schedule function, and if you are using the app on a regular basis (and/or you are using GTD principles) then you should be opening it more than a few times of the day anyway, in which case you will see new scheduled tasks as they land on that day.

Having said that, I still set separate ical reminders to email my personal email account, which then becomes a trigger for me to do whatever it is the trigger is (if you get my drift). Then I add tasks into Things.

All personal preference, methinks :-)
  • spindizzy 6 Jul 2009 13:00:58 6,501 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We discussed Things here:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=100335

I used to love it, but since I've paid for the desktop app and the iphone app and I cannot get them to sync at work I've completely gone off this. It was all a colossal waste of money. Hiding the forums was also pretty shitty of Cultured Code, though at least they didn't delete them.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2009 13:02:42
    I haven't tried syncing recently. I will have a go now. What appears to be the problem?
  • Deleted user 6 July 2009 13:03:50
    Well latest iPhone Things syncs just fine with desktop Things 1.1.2. I'll update to 1.1.3, make a few changes on my iPhone and sync again to see what happens.

EDIT: Nope, still appears to sync just fine.

What's the problem with your set-up, then?
  • spindizzy 6 Jul 2009 14:07:42 6,501 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My iphone and my work computer are on different sub-nets for a start, but I can't even sync with the laptop so they must block ports or something (not sure how Things does the syncing). Bottom line: it just doesn't work, and a mobile-me / webdav approach would, and it's been 'coming soon' for a year.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2009 14:08:30
    All I know is both my iPhone and my Mac are on the same wireless network and that works fine.
  • spindizzy 6 Jul 2009 14:22:29 6,501 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    All I know is both my iPhone and my Mac are on the same wireless network and that works fine.

It works fine for me too in that situation, just not in the situation I need it most.

Since I'm probably not the only person who could be affected by this (i.e. anyone not at home, or in a situation where the networks aren't under their own control) I thought I'd let other people know.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2009 14:23:25
    So have you guys paid full whack for the desktop version?
  • spindizzy 6 Jul 2009 14:23:48 6,501 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2009 14:26:36
    mowgli wrote:
    So have you guys paid full whack for the desktop version?
    Yeah - I got a big discount because I bought early, but I did pay for it. I really like it. When shit gets on top of me it's calming to plot it all out in one app and have it sync to the other and be able to tick it all off. Obviously a pen and paper does the same thing, but I'm a digitally minded guy so it appeals more to me and it does help.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2009 14:30:00
    I have the app and had a sneaky (read: stolen) copy of the desktop app to try out for a while before I parted my cash. Then I went through a period of not using either and now that I'm using it again I no longer have my sneaky copy and when I was going to buy a copy I start reading about all these problems. I got a copy of "The Hit List" with the MacHeist bundle, but I have no idea how far they are getting with an Iphone app.
  • spindizzy 6 Jul 2009 14:43:34 6,501 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mowgli if it was working for you before, it probably would now and it is excellent at what it sets out to do. I'm just bitter because I've paid for something I can't use, and I don't think CC have handled these issues very well.
  • spindizzy 8 Jul 2009 15:07:17 6,501 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In the interests of completeness, I actually emailed CC and got a very nice reply back. Unfortunately their proposal (making a peer-to-peer network) won't work because my desktop doesn't have a wifi card, and we're not allowed to make our own networks anyway.

But I was impressed that they were so prompt, and they tell me that they are working on an alternative solution. So I'll cross my fingers that soon I can go back to recommending Things.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2009 00:47:01
    Can someone explain what the deal is with the read only mode as I am still able to enter stuff. How is it limited?
  • heyyo 15 Jul 2009 00:58:51 14,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In read only mode the stuff you enter isn't subject to the standard verification procedures.
  • kdsh7 15 Jul 2009 01:01:15 1,172 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm too tight to pay for the desktop app, but the iphone version is really helping me get things sorted GTD style. My only concern (and it is a fairly big concern) is that it doesn't let you set a priority to tasks. You can kind of get round it by creating priorities as tags, but that doesn't let you see at a glance which tasks are important.

Great app otherwise.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2009 01:11:16
    heyyo! wrote:
    In read only mode the stuff you enter isn't subject to the standard verification procedures.
    'standard verification procedures'? I'm lost :?
  • Deleted user 15 July 2009 09:13:50
    mowgli wrote:
    heyyo! wrote:
    'standard verification procedures'? I'm lost :?
    'Read only mode'???
  • deem 15 Jul 2009 09:17:47 31,641 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can someone briefly explain what this app is/does?
  • Deleted user 15 July 2009 09:19:03
    It's a 'Getting Things Done' style app. You note down all the various jobs you need to do, catalogue them within 'projects' or just loosely, give them due dates if necessary, then tick them off as you achieve them. That's it in a nutshell. I love it.

It's fair to say it's nothing a pen and paper couldn't achieve but I have my iPhone with me all the time and I'm a digitally inclined type of guy so it's helped me put the ragtag nature of my chores in some order and give me a feeling of satisfaction for achieving them, and also helps me remember to do long term stuff that might otherwise slip my mind 3 months later when it becomes due.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2009 09:21:16
    Things.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2009 10:06:11
    GeneralMartok wrote:
    Does the calender function not do this as well?

Probably. Things looks nice though. And probably does other, deeper stuff I've never touched.

Plus like I said - jotter and a pencil does the same thing too ;)
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous